2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we not looking like we're approaching the nightmare scenario?

That Trump is slightly ahead on election night, and it will then come down to a couple of states counting mail-in ballots over the next couple of days. If that happens, and Biden then edges it, it's going to be carnage isn't it? :(

Could be worse, he could be more than slightly ahead. We've been told for the last week or so this would not be called on election night, it'll need a few days at least with all the mail in/absentee ballots. These ballots should favour Biden, apparently.

Thank feck for Virginia, well done those who weren’t worried about it

I'm not posting about it in here, but the movement in the betting markets has been absolutely fascinating over the last two hours.

Also - I've only got the BBC on mute but the Mooch has just shown up!

I think Biden looks in good shape in PA, but this is precisely what Trump has been setting up ... “mail in ballots are fraud” - unsurpringly it’s the mail in and early ballots left to count here. Let’s see what shenanigans Trump tries to pull off.

Don’t think that’s in Arizona.

Would put good money on being a tad fake. But, it’s probably in Ohio or Pennsylvania, so they could actually be real.
Ah, yeah, I didn't mean to say it's on because of some Amish support for Trump in Arizona. It's on because we finally got an unexpected win for Biden (at least unexpected for me). Including the tweet was just meant as a bit of comic relief in these tense times, I literally laughed out loud seeing it.

After all trumps' bs, the fact this is so close is mind-boggling.

No-one thinks they are clueless but the fact they move around through the night is why you can't read into them too much. There's a danger of looking at that 1.2 as a fixed number and drawing conclusions about it that don't hold up just an hour later, and while they're an indicator of momentum, they're not a very steady one.

Yes - reactive rather than predictive.

A solitary sign of hope in the Senate.

How the hell can people justify voting for Lindsay Graham, he won by +15...

What is Arizona doing? They’ve been on 75-76% votes counted for over half an hour now.

211k vote difference in GA. If Dems get the same margin from Atlanta and its Suburbs like Abrams did, they lose. If they do about 3/4 points better, they might squeak through.

NC is similar. Trump is favoured but about 55/45 chance, since the votes left are smattering of blue precincts, a big red one, and a bunch of mails.

Yes - reactive rather than predictive.
Everything that we're seeing right now is a combination of reactive to live data, and predictive of what comes next. Given that the NYT, 538 etc don't have a live predictor this time (as far as I can see?), then seeing how millions of people are assuming the balance of the election has tilted is useful, and very interesting.

I understand the wish for it not to bombard the thread however.

I'm not seeing particularly positive signs from the 3 midwestern ones, the margin is either constant (PA, MI, over 10 points) and WI is increading (from 3 to 5). Is the optimism because no early/mail votes have been counted? Or is it based on areas? CBA to check the district maps.

e - i've been mostly watching star trek so i might have missed something obvious in the past hour or two

Checked the odds.. pretty even after Trump being clear favorites before AZ started reporting.

It really is a case of Trump clinging on now.. any slip up and Biden gets it.
Considering the margins and the outstanding votes being absentee ballots and large dem centres, you could make a case for Biden being favourite here.

Sorry but if you think PA is done based on what we’ve seen so far, you’re out of your mind.

Huh? Are you now reading incorrectly as well.

I am saying PA is a tossup. OH is done for the last 2 hours. TX is done for the last 2 hours. GA and NC will go Trump as well. AZ is looking good for Biden.

There's some logic to this but movement is not a reason to disregard betting markets, in fact it's a better reason to accept them. They do overreact at times, but responding to new evidence is how any scientific models work. Some of these shifts can be large depending on that new information. The next movement is rarely predictable.

Yeah so from my perspective the movement in the odds is the most valuable thing about them, they're the most sensitive measure we have of momentum. They're worth paying attention to. It's just we can't read into them too much, people can infer a sense of inevitability from the next movement from the size of the last big movement, when as you say there's much more unpredictability than they could possibly account for. The most sensitive measure we have of momentum is still a very flawed one, so it's not really possible to infer that " it's obvious that it is looking very very hard for Biden now " based on the 1.2 for Trump at that point in time, for example. It isn't supposed to indicate that degree of certainty at that point in time because further movement is expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.