2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
5ywnEAk.jpg

Trump is extremely unpopular. I think The Democratic nominee will win.
But the key is he or she must deliver. 4 more years of lip service will bring forward another crazy.

The country is at the brink.

the sad thing is people on either side want the same thing and neither party is honest enough to deliver.

Both parties are owned by corporations.

I very much second the end of that first paragraph. You can only feck around with people so much.

I'm a sucker. I actually thought Bernie had a shot this time around, but yet again Americans flock to the corporate Dem because gee he's just so relatable and exactly the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with. For fecks sake..

I'm a sucker. I actually thought Bernie had a shot this time around, but yet again Americans flock to the corporate Dem because gee he's just so relatable and exactly the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with. For fecks sake..
There was a yougov poll within the last week showing Bernie beating Biden.

Long way to go yet.

They perceive Biden as the guy who can beat Trump. It’s as simple as that. Also, a lot of Dems don’t view Presidential politics through the lens of class warfare, which Sanders relies on for much of his support. If he can sell his message beyond the us vs them construct then he will do very well. If on the other hand he continues to harp on “millionaires and billionaires”, and his candidacy is broadly framed as being only about class, then he won’t win.

They perceive Biden as the guy who can beat Trump. It’s as simple as that. Also, a lot of Dems don’t view Presidential politics through the lens of class warfare, which Sanders relies on for much of his support. If he can sell his message beyond the us vs them construct then he will do very well. If on the other hand he continues to harp on “millionaires and billionaires”, and his candidacy is broadly framed as being only about class, then he won’t win.

He's also got the benefit of close association with the Obama era - while there are plenty of Americans who view Obama as a missed opportunity and someone who was much closer to corporatism than a Dem should be, he remains popular in the eyes of many, an indication of what the country should return to. Biden gets a boost from being his right-hand man in that regard.

Shall we just replace Biden with Clinton in that post to see the inherent flaw in the argument?

Shall we just replace Biden with Clinton in that post to see the inherent flaw in the argument?

Biden is actually a lot more personally popular than Clinton though who was highly disliked through her presidential campaign.

Biden is actually a lot more personally popular than Clinton though who was highly disliked through her presidential campaign.

Definitely true, but he's also wildly prone to gaffes, is STILL doing that creepy as feck thing of putting his hands on young girls and telling them they're pretty, and has a really shitty record of shilling for the credit card companies and other corporate interests.

Actually perhaps Bernie isn't out for the count yet after all. :D

He's also got the benefit of close association with the Obama era - while there are plenty of Americans who view Obama as a missed opportunity and someone who was much closer to corporatism than a Dem should be, he remains popular in the eyes of many, an indication of what the country should return to. Biden gets a boost from being his right-hand man in that regard.

Yep, which is also borne out in the early numbers.

It will be the issues.

Health Care, Education and Social security are not class issues.
Its reality.

Biden will be seen as the corporate stooge he is soon enough.

But never discount the DNC strategy. If they cant have Biden, they still have Trump.

Yes but how much of that is people remembering smiley Joe, Obama's right hand man and buddy, and forgetting who Joe Biden actually is?

Probably a lot, but if the creepiness thing isn't ruining his chances yet he may end up somehow getting through alright.

A few of you are ignoring about thousands of years of human politics that indicate that charisma is a significant factor in popular elections. I'm not saying Biden wins the nomination or the election because of it, but he is no Hillary Clinton in that aspect. Even if his policies are identical.

Yes but how much of that is people remembering smiley Joe, Obama's right hand man and buddy, and forgetting who Joe Biden actually is?

Biden has been on the political scene for decades, so it’s quite likely that “who he really is” is already baked into his numbers.

The only Democratic ‘frontrunner’ whose didn’t face intra party resistance and got a smooth nomination process was Al Gore. We are still 7 months away from the first caucus and more than a year out from the convention.

A few of you are ignoring about thousands of years of human politics that indicate that charisma is a significant factor in popular elections. I'm not saying Biden wins the nomination or the election because of it, but he is no Hillary Clinton in that aspect. Even if his policies are identical.

Joe Biden has never been particularly well liked by the public before he latched onto Obama as a goofy, inoffensive number 2. Hard to imagine it, but there was a point in time Hillary Clinton was at 20+ net approval.

Biden has been on the political scene for decades, so it’s quite likely that “who he really is” is already baked into his numbers.
Who he really is aka former VP to Obama. He was never a frontrunner before 2008 was he?

That's probably true to some degree, but "who he is" also includes someone who has tried and failed several times to become President. Right now he's the Obama guy, and the only people he has had to publicly in more than a decade the last decade are Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan. I think there's a good chance he ends up as the nominee, but I also think there's a very good chance his numbers start falling once the debates start and the campaign starts in earnest.

Like they were baked into Hillary’s when she was a highly popular SoS under Obama?

Most of America could not name two things about Biden after "Obama's VP"

That's probably true to some degree, but "who he is" also includes someone who has tried and failed several times to become President. Right now he's the Obama guy, and the only people he has had to publicly in more than a decade the last decade are Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan. I think there's a good chance he ends up as the nominee, but I also think there's a very good chance his numbers start falling once the debates start and the campaign starts in earnest.

Failing to win POTUS would put him in pretty good stead with previous failures like Nixon, Reagan, and Bush41 (two of the three served as VP as Biden has), so if recent history is an indicator then Biden’s chances wouldn’t be hurt by his past failures, in fact they may actually frame him as a experienced political survivor whose past has prepared him to finally propel him to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.