2018 US Elections

By pitching them with good policies that appeal to most people. Sanders did it with healthcare and education and wound up nearly winning. The fact that he had a grand strategy that was akin to FDR's new deal connected with a lot of independents. Whoever runs next year will need to do the same while keeping the base on board. Hillary didn't do either well enough to win - she estranged the base a bit by not catering enough to Sanders voters and didn't connect with rust belt and beyond blue collar voters (who Trump managed to pick up enough of).

true.

FBMHXqz.jpg

More voters trusted Hillary than anyone in the history of the country except Obama.

Again this is an absurdly out-of-context claim considering populations...you know, grow. A candidate who wins 40% of the vote out of 200m people isn't relatively speaking more popular than one who wins 60% out of 50m.

This one was yesterday.

Ultimately, turnout is going to decide the winner.

agree Turnout is key.

I note that Real Clear Politics Poll averages only include some of the well known polls. Not saying this one is not valid mind.

Just saw a corporatist on Morning Joe pushing the idea that a Social Democrat will find it hard to beat a Trumpist in FL.

Except we have seen so call centrists candidates lose to a scumbag like Scott twice.

agree Turnout is key.

I note that Real Clear Politics Poll averages only include some of the well known polls. Not saying this one is not valid mind.

Just saw a corporatist on Morning Joe pushing the idea that a Social Democrat will find it hard to beat a Trumpist in FL.

Except we have seen so call centrists candidates lose to a scumbag like Scott twice.

Florida is a bit of an anomaly imo, mainly due to its weird demographics. The upper and central part of the state all the way down to Ocala, is more or less a southern state. The area from Ocala down to Sarasota is slightly different from the top - a bit more metropolitan, and then South Florida is basically another state from what you see in the north. So for progressive to be successful, they would have to have a very strong message that resonates into non-South Florida pockets of the state. Gillum so far, seems to be doing just about as well as he can given the demographic challenges.

Florida is a bit of an anomaly imo, mainly due to its weird demographics. The upper and central part of the state all the way down to Ocala, is more or less a southern state. The area from Ocala down to Sarasota is slightly different from the top - a bit more metropolitan, and then South Florida is basically another state from what you see in the north. So for progressive to be successful, they would have to have a very strong message that resonates into non-South Florida pockets of the state. Gillum so far, seems to be doing just about as well as he can given the demographic challenges.

His message on health care is going to be huge. FL has one of the worst coverage.

His message on health care is going to be huge. FL has one of the worst coverage.

I feel like the key for progressives will be Tampa. South Florida is always going to be a Dem lock, but Tampa is still fairly Republican (despite being a large city). If the progressives can get some traction there then it would outflank the Rs being able to get sufficient votes elsewhere in the state.

I feel like the key for progressives will be Tampa. South Florida is always going to be a Dem lock, but Tampa is still fairly Republican (despite being a large city). If the progressives can get some traction there then it would outflank the Rs being able to get sufficient votes elsewhere in the state.

It will be close.

Obama did it twice.

Yeah. Looks like Obama as officially hit the campaign trail.

Obama is speaking about the elections.
Mentioned Trump and Republicans.

He will be able to help in FL and OH some of the other close states.

I hope he speaks to the more progressive wing of the party. Those are who are energised

Yeah I'm hoping it's the last hurrah before a big wave does away with them

I hope your correct but in the past few years i've noticed that nearly all liberal democracies are slowly becoming illiberal majoritarian democracies due to bigoted populist politicians dividing the citizens of the country on the basis of race/ethnicity/religion/sect etc. And its not limited to one country or one region of the world, there's a pattern.

I hope your correct but in the past few years i've noticed that nearly all liberal democracies are slowly becoming illiberal majoritarian democracies due to bigoted populist politicians dividing the citizens of the country on the basis of race/ethnicity/religion/sect etc. And its not limited to one country or one region of the world, there's a pattern.

Countries themselves don't have the power they used to. The last remaining vestige of power left in politicians was war but this is the age where corporations and business interests control every democratic unit in the world.

Countries themselves don't have the power they used to. The last remaining vestige of power left in politicians was war but this is the age where corporations and business interests control every democratic unit in the world.

Well you could argue they controlled war throughout history.

Just listening to him harkens back to the best people this country had produced in the political arena.
He responds to Trumps attacks on him by welcoming him.

Dr. King used to respond to attacks with love not with hate.

He's very RFK'ish.