2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but he really doesn't get much chance to speak, and he mainly talks about what he has done as Governor. Trump 3% Is true is shocking, that proves when he said his hands and cock were big he was talking shit then as well.

It's absurd. I wonder if the 3% truth emerged by accident.

@InfiniteBoredom the untrustworthiness is more to do with changing positions.

CeAVKAIVIAEZlH1.jpg:large

Truth-o-meter of all the candidates.

:lol:

I thought Hillary was a liar.

Turns out both her and Bernie are pretty similar in the "false" departments. Seems she states more complete truths than him.

Last edited:
How a brokered convention works. Essentially, Trump's best bet is to get the nomination after the first round of voting. If he doesn't get it then, a much larger number of delegates become unbound and will probably go for Cruz or Kasich. If after two votes, there is still no nominee, then a third vote may well introduce other candidates like Ryan, Romney, et al.

BrokeredConvention.png

How a brokered convention works. Essentially, Trump's best bet is to get the nomination after the first round of voting. If he doesn't get it then, a much larger number of delegates become unbound and will probably go for Cruz or Kasich. If after two votes, there is still no nominee, then a third vote may well introduce other candidates like Ryan, Romney, et al.

BrokeredConvention.png

Some Republicans have said that even if Trump does not get that number but is only 100 or so away, they will have to give him the nomination. Think that's true, anything else would have them panned even more.

Also someone posted a rule that said you have to win a certain number of states to be nominated. Is that not true?

Some Republicans have said that even if Trump does not get that number but is only 100 or so away, they will have to give him the nomination. Think that's true, anything else would have them panned even more.

Also someone posted a rule that said you have to win a certain number of states to be nominated. Is that not true?

Yeah i'm pretty sure it is 8 states minimum.

Took a peek at the "Politics at Westminster" thread (which I never go into) and noticed that it has 175 pages and began in Dec 2011. Meanwhile, this thread is close to 300 pages and it's not even a year old yet. What gives? Genuinely curious what so many find interesting about American politics.
There are a few separate threads for UK politics - the election thread was started just four months before the election and got to 165 pages. The Labour Leadership election/ Jeremy Corbyn threads (equivalent of one of the US primaries and discussions about Hilary Clinton) are about 140 pages in total too, all since last summer.

Plus, US politics is just so much more entertaining. From the outside looking in, it is very much like a particularly ridiculous reality TV show...with potentially horrifying real world consequences. So much of what happens seems insane, when you look at the Republican race, cable news journalists and various 'issues' that pop up.

BrokeredConvention.png

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting! So he still has to win at least 50% of the remaining delegates, with all the bashing going on it looks like a brokered convention is going to happen.

I don't think he can legally be given the nomination unless he reaches 1237. That's why the number exists in the first place, it's exactly 50% + 1 of all available delegates.

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting! So he still has to win at least 50% of the remaining delegates, with all the bashing going on it looks like a brokered convention is going to happen.

Interesting footnoot at the bottom of that picture that says the RNC will meet to decide the rules for the convention soon. Wonder if they'll throw any curveballs.

I don't think he can legally be given the nomination unless he reaches 1237. That's why the number exists in the first place, it's exactly 50% + 1 of all available delegates.

of course. but as we know the entire exercise is about turning out voters for the GE. To take away the nomination from the guy who has the most delegates will rip the party apart even more than it already is.

of course. but as we know the entire exercise is about turning out voters for the GE. To take away the nomination from the guy who has the most delegates will rip the party apart even more than it already is.

No, Lincoln was third in the number of delegates but he was elected to be the president I think. It's entirely up to Trump to make the deals necessary. He has the biggest bargaining chip with the number of delegates and if he's a good negotiator, then let him do it. Isn't that what he's telling others?

A contested convention may rip the party apart, but it's there because no one has the majority in the first place.

Lots of speculation that Trump may be boo'd when he speaks later today, which would be humiliating for him.

Hope so. The crowd is a weird one though. They boo'd Biden yesterday when he said there's no political will on both sides to reach an agreement, yet gave Hill standing ovations after she defended the Iran deal.

No, Lincoln was third in the number of delegates but he was elected to be the president I think. It's entirely up to Trump to make the deals necessary. He has the biggest bargaining chip with the number of delegates and if he's a good negotiator, then let him do it. Isn't that what he's telling others?

A contested convention may rip the party apart, but it's there because no one has the majority in the first place.

I know the history. We are talking of the now. Trump's biggest chip is his voters. I see no way anyone else will be the nominee tbh

I know the history. We are talking of the now. Trump's biggest chip is his voters. I see no way anyone else will be the nominee tbh

He doesn't have a majority vote. Obviously, republican party can't change the majority rules for Trump. I heard they did introduce a rule of 8 state majority vote to marginalize Ron Paul, but if the delegates are unbound and they want to vote for someone else, they will.

Lots of speculation that Trump may be boo'd when he speaks later today, which would be humiliating for him.
I thought the organizers had reached a deal with those who have come out publicly against Trump - they would protest outside...but not inside, to ensure, there is a 'united' Jewish voice inside AIPAC.

Plus, I expect him to amend his - I'll be neutral stance.

I thought the organizers had reached a deal with those who have come out publicly against Trump - they would protest outside...but not inside, to ensure, there is a 'united' Jewish voice inside AIPAC.

Plus, I expect him to amend his - I'll be neutral stance.

We're not talking about the nutjobs that have previously interrupted Trump's speeches. This is AIPAC members who reject Trump.

Man, feck AIPAC. I wouldn't lose any more respect for Trump if he maintained his quasineutral stance on the matter, despite the crowd's reaction.
It's perfectly acceptable to not get a thumbs up from the NRA - not so from AIPAC. Can't think of anyone in Congress who stepped out of line, maybe Keith Ellison? Probably not even him.

It's perfectly acceptable to not get a thumbs up from the NRA - not so from AIPAC. Can't think of anyone in Congress who stepped out of line, maybe Keith Ellison? Probably not even him.

Bernie has come as close as possible, while not actually doing anything provocative (and you would think being related to Holocaust victims would be worth something to AIPAC...) Their double standards with Romney and screening a recorded message are amazing.

We're not talking about the nutjobs that have previously interrupted Trump's speeches. This is AIPAC members who reject Trump.
No I know - I saw there were around 300 Rabbis and their supporters who had publicly stated their distrust of Trump (not only because of the 'neutral' comment...but equally because of his demonization of minorities). AIPAC requested that they limit the protests.

AIPAC would prefer no protests whatsoever. Earlier this week, an email from a staffer warned students planning to attend that any attempt to disrupt the program would result in removal “and it will be the last AIPAC event you attend.”

AIPAC has disowned the email since it was made public.

So, the protest leaders plan to either not show up, or walk out when he starts to speak, as opposed to disrupting him.

No I know - I saw there were around 300 Rabbis and their supporters who had publicly stated their distrust of Trump (not only because of the 'neutral' comment...but equally because of his demonization of minorities). AIPAC requested that they limit the protests.

AIPAC has disowned the email since it was made public.

So, the protest leaders plan to either not show up, or walk out when he starts to speak, as opposed to disrupting him.

They've banned any critical reporters from covering the event. https://theintercept.com/2016/03/18...many-journalists-and-activists-denied-access/

It's not the left that exclusively uses safe spaces -- and unlike college debating societies, AIPAC has real power.

To lighten things up a bit, our friends at The Simpsons actually predicted the Trump Presidency many years ago. So we already know who the successor will be should Trump prevail.....President Lisa Simpson.

Status
Not open for further replies.