2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Clinton wants to kill Bernie completely, own the airwaves, and pre-empt GE attacks, she should suddenly release the Goldman Sachs transcripts. It's an attack that has potency only because of the appearance of secrecy.

If Clinton wants to kill Bernie completely, own the airwaves, and pre-empt GE attacks, she should suddenly release the Goldman Sachs transcripts. It's an attack that has potency only because of the appearance of secrecy.

I reckon there's a reason she's not released them. They probably wouldn't come across well to a public that's fed up with catering to moneyed interests.

Hillary's people obviously came up with the perfect response to Bernie on the speaking transcripts - "why should I be singled out when the Republicans haven't released theirs"? ....obviously knowing none of the Republicans will do such a thing because it isn't an issue on their side. Bernie could actually press her on more on it tomorrow because it always annoys her to no end.

Hillary's people obviously came up with the perfect response to Bernie on the speaking transcripts - "why should I be singled out when the Republicans haven't released theirs"? ....obviously knowing none of the Republicans will do such a thing because it isn't an issue on their side. Bernie could actually press her on more on it tomorrow because it always annoys her to no end.

Perfect response? It's the response of a child. "Why do I have to do it when they don't?"

Because you purport to be better than them, Hillary.

Edit: might do the trick, though. I don't know how it plays for most people, but to me it's an obvious cop out. If it works, it works, obviously.

Donald Trump on Hannity

"I know more about renewables (energy) than any human being on Earth"

For fecks sake, I've been sick of shit like this for months, but it's just getting worse, it's beyond a joke how ludicrous the stuff he comes out with, he must be the most deluded and arrogant man on the planet. Although his supporters are equally as deluded.

Also, Megyn Kelly had an hour meeting with Trump today to "clear the air" and her programmes have gone from 1hr Trump hit jobs to hardly mentioning him at all since she returned from Holiday last week. I wonder what happened there then?

. I wonder what happened there then?

Fox realising that there is a good chance he will be the nominee and they need to start supporting him.

Btw how the hell do you watch so much Fox? I can barely watch 10 mins before I feel filthy.

Fox realising that there is a good chance he will be the nominee and they need to start supporting him.

Btw how the hell do you watch so much Fox? I can barely watch 10 mins before I feel filthy.

I don't watch that much really. I just try to watch when they have got the candidates on for town halls and stuff, but around election time I do watch it far too much. I like to see the difference in reporting between all the different networks and how they cover stuff.

Donald Trump on Hannity

"I know more about renewables (energy) than any human being on Earth"

For fecks sake, I've been sick of shit like this for months, but it's just getting worse, it's beyond a joke how ludicrous the stuff he comes out with, he must be the most deluded and arrogant man on the planet. Although his supporters are equally as deluded.

Also, Megyn Kelly had an hour meeting with Trump today to "clear the air" and her programmes have gone from 1hr Trump hit jobs to hardly mentioning him at all since she returned from Holiday last week. I wonder what happened there then?

There was a story last week that Trump has some dirt on Roger Ailes.

There was a story last week that Trump has some dirt on Roger Ailes.

That wouldn't surprise me, I bet he has dirt on an awful lot of people, and almost everyone has dirt on Trump, but loads of it is already out there and his supporters don't seem to give a shit. Nothing seems to stick to him either, it's fecking bizarre, a couple of days or so after something comes out about him, it's as if it never happened at all.

Nothing seems to stick to him either, it's fecking bizarre, a couple of days or so after something comes out about him, it's as if it never happened at all.

While it's partly true, it's also because the networks keep covering him no matter what, so past stories are forgotten quickly. Occasionally, something does stick, like his 'women should be punished for abortion' stuff. It just doesn't seem that big because he's already so deep underwater with women.

A trump presidential run seems inevitable to be
Either he gets the backing of the republican party or he will say he has not been treated fairly and will run as an independent as by that time he could still get on the ballot for quite a lot of states.
As I see it this threat will become more apparent until basically its trump vs the party in a big game of Chicken... either they make him the nominee or they face a different nightmare scenario:

He has shown that he is pretty adept at generating a lot of publicity for his campaign with minimal spend so an independent run is certainly viable for him.

He would almost certainly take with him a good chunk of his existing support base as a protest vote if nothing else, and he may even pick up more votes as a protest from some anti establishment type supporters... but make no mistake the core of his vote would come from the republican base, and if he was telling his supporters not to vote republican in the other elections because they treated him unfair and its the only way to bring about a change in the party, in politics and to make america great again (USA USA USA - build the wall etc etc) then I suspect enough of them may follow that advice and it could completely decimate the republican party.

At a minimum he would no doubt attack and mock lyin ted (should he be the nominee) and he would almost certainly make a likely republican loss into a disaster

So do the republicans pick him or do they risk fighting him... tough call but if you apply a bit of logic / game theory you probably come out with the option that a trump loss (as republican nominee) gives the party chance to refocus and fight again but a terrible performance in the polls potentially splits the party and hurts them not only in the presidential race but the other elections as well... prisoners dilemma type scenario and I expect they will begrudgingly nominate him in the hope they can somewhat control him.

Trevor Timm at the Guardian has the best words.
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...clinton-banks-oil-links-presidential-campaign

While Clinton called the suggestion that she might be influenced by the wealthy bankers who raise money for her campaign an “artful smear” in 2016, she also had no problem hurling even stronger accusations about Obama in 2008: “Senator Obama has some questions to answer about his dealings with one of his largest contributors – Exelon, a big nuclear power company,” she said. “Apparently he cut some deals behind closed doors to protect them from full disclosure of the nuclear industry.”

Then there are the closed-door speeches that Clinton gave for Goldman Sachs and other big banks after she left her role as secretary of state. While she has steadfastly refused to release the transcripts, she’s claimed it has never affected her position on the banks one iota. Which is fine, if that’s the principled stance you want to take, but it’s not one her party has had in the past. Mitt Romney washit hard in the 2012 presidential campaign by Democrats for the speeches he gave to financial institutions.

So which is it? Are politicians corrupt (or susceptible to corruption) if they are giving highly paid speeches behind closed doors to financial institutions, or not? It doesn’t work both ways.
And by taking this position that only quid pro quo equals corruption, Clinton supporters are essentially adopting the reasoning of the Roberts court that they claim to abhor – that unless there is direct evidence of overtly trading money for votes, corruption doesn’t exist. As Lawrence Lessig has written, Democrats have been slowly embracing this stance for years, but the Clinton campaign seems to cementing it as the party’s policy.

No one has made this point better than Clinton surrogate and former representative Barney Frank – or should I say, the 2012 version of him. Last week, Frank accused Sanders supporters of engaging in McCarthyism by suggesting that politicians, and Clinton in particular, are influenced by big money contributions from wealthy backers, and as a result, did not push for prosecutions of the executives of large banks. However, Frank sang an altogether different tune about the influence of campaign contributions when he was leaving Congress in 2012.

“People say, ‘Oh, it doesn’t have any effect on me,’” Frank told NPR at the time about the constant need to continually raise money as a congressman. “Well if that were the case, we’d be the only human beings in the history of the world who on a regular basis took significant amounts of money from perfect strangers and made sure that it had no effect on our behavior.”

Perfect response? It's the response of a child. "Why do I have to do it when they don't?"

Because you purport to be better than them, Hillary.

Edit: might do the trick, though. I don't know how it plays for most people, but to me it's an obvious cop out. If it works, it works, obviously.

I'm speaking from the perspective of her campaign. Clearly, she would be embarrassed by the transcripts coming out and using the GOP and the fact that she is being singled out, is a shrewd move on her part, as it will insulate her from having to follow through.

I'm speaking from the perspective of her campaign. Clearly, she would be embarrassed by the transcripts coming out and using the GOP and the fact that she is being singled out, is a shrewd move on her part, as it will insulate her from having to follow through.
I agree that it works, so overall it is a successful strategy. The fact, that it works is pretty insane so. This is not a complicated or nuanced issue. There are not two sides to it and I could explain it to a child in about 2 minutes in a way, that it would understand the problem. Yet for some reason most people don´t seem to be bothered by it.
We are also not talking about a singular case; there are multiple examples for the very same thing.

This guy is unbelievable . . . how on earth was he two steps from the presidency in the "family values" party?

160414-child-molester-is-tough-on-child-molester_zpsqmhjreky.jpg

So do the republicans pick him or do they risk fighting him... tough call but if you apply a bit of logic / game theory you probably come out with the option that a trump loss (as republican nominee) gives the party chance to refocus and fight again but a terrible performance in the polls potentially splits the party and hurts them not only in the presidential race but the other elections as well... prisoners dilemma type scenario and I expect they will begrudgingly nominate him in the hope they can somewhat control him.

If I were the Republican bigwigs and Trump goes to the convention with a clear lead in delegates, I'd let the democratic process take its course without any backroom backstabbing. If Trump becomes the nominee, accept him, fully support him, take him under your wing and try to round off his sharper edges and moderate his rhetoric. He likes to win, so he'd probably be amenable to a little experienced, professional input into his GE campaign.

If he becomes President, God knows what will happen. In the more likely event of a loss, the party will survive, there's no 'son of Trump' around to take up his mantle, and in four years his successor is likely to be a conventional politician. Well handled, Trump might even leave a significant legacy of working-class, white voters to the Republican party.

The Republican establishment are worried about Congress, but they'll just have to roll the dice on that one. All the alternatives are worse.

I don't watch that much really. I just try to watch when they have got the candidates on for town halls and stuff, but around election time I do watch it far too much. I like to see the difference in reporting between all the different networks and how they cover stuff.

Thats pretty much the only reason I ever turn on FOX

If I were the Republican bigwigs and Trump goes to the convention with a clear lead in delegates, I'd let the democratic process take its course without any backroom backstabbing. If Trump becomes the nominee, accept him, fully support him, take him under your wing and try to round off his sharper edges and moderate his rhetoric. He likes to win, so he'd probably be amenable to a little experienced, professional input into his GE campaign.

If he becomes President, God knows what will happen. In the more likely event of a loss, the party will survive, there's no 'son of Trump' around to take up his mantle, and in four years his successor is likely to be a conventional politician. Well handled, Trump might even leave a significant legacy of working-class, white voters to the Republican party.

The Republican establishment are worried about Congress, but they'll just have to roll the dice on that one. All the alternatives are worse.
These are already heavily Republican. The more likely legacy is the fastest growing demographic in the country voting Democratic at the same levels as African-Americans.

Well if he goes to the convention with the lead but not enough to clinch the nomination, then you will not be able to avoid any sort of back room dealing. As each round of voting passes, more and more delegates will be free to vote for whoever they want. It will take some backroom dealing to convince people to change their votes to a particular candidate be it Trump or anyone else.

The thing they can avoid is being seen to be actively trying to defeat Trump, but the only way to do that would be to work for him, which they do not want to do.

They are stuck in a damned if they do, damned if they don't spot.

What I sometimes wonder about is if Trump gets the nomination how much will the Party apparatus really help him and how much will they just let him go out there on his own while they focus on Congressional and State level elections.

These are already heavily Republican. The more likely legacy is the fastest growing demographic in the country voting Democratic at the same levels as African-Americans.

I think the biggest legacy he could bring the white working class is that they realize they´ve been voting against their economic interests for years as they've been swayed by the Republican propaganda machine of fear, racist dog whistles, so called patriotism, USA #1 indoctrination and "family values" hee haw. Trump will continue that legacy, but he may actually work for their economic benefit as well.

I think the biggest legacy he could bring the white working class is that they realize they´ve been voting against their economic interests for years as they've been swayed by the Republican propaganda machine of fear, racist dog whistles, so called patriotism, USA #1 indoctrination and "family values" hee haw. Trump will continue that legacy, but he may actually work for their economic benefit as well.

Trump has already opened the eye of his supporters to the misinformation the GOP has fed the.

Less racism than culture. The racism has been fed all along by the GOP.

Trump and Bernie supporters have a lot of common goals.

Ideationally, there's clear, blue water between 'anti-illegal immigrant' and anti-hispanic'. The big challenge for the Republicans is to sail into those waters, successfully navigate them, and not wind up at the bottom of the ocean. Turning a blind eye to immigration in an effort to court Hispanics will split their party.

Ideationally, there's clear, blue water between 'anti-illegal immigrant' and anti-hispanic'. The big challenge for the Republicans is to sail into those waters, successfully navigate them, and not wind up at the bottom of the ocean. Turning a blind eye to immigration in an effort to court Hispanics will split their party.
They're going to have to get on with it, because the level of hate towards Trump among hispanic voters is at an unprecedented high. If it follows through into the general election, they could lose Texas.

They're going to have to get on with it, because the level of hate towards Trump among hispanic voters is at an unprecedented high. If it follows through into the general election, they could lose Texas.
Yeah, they are burning effigies of him in the streets (literally).

It's actually ironic because Hispanics' social and economic preferences actually line up more closely with Republican's than Democrat's, especially those from a Catholic background. If the GOP haven't moved that far right, they'd have a monopoly of those votes.

It's actually ironic because Hispanics' social and economic preferences actually line up more closely with Republican's than Democrat's, especially those from a Catholic background. If the GOP haven't moved that far right, they'd have a monopoly of those votes.

Yes, but the core power structure of the modern GOP has been driven largely by a white, Europeanist view of American identity, which would never allow hispanics in with any degree of broad acceptance.

Similar situation with most minority groups. African American, Asian etc. most of them are at the core, quite conservative. But the GOP has alienated them especially with the stance on immigration.

Status
Not open for further replies.