2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Laos have more unexploded bombs and landmines than anywhere else in the world? Oh, it can't have, because there was never a war in Laos was there?

This is what I've been saying for a while now, the Bernie's camp is stoking the anger and remove themselves from the mainstream Dems. 20 pages back RD was saying it's imperative there's a Dem in the White House and now apparently he'll consider voting for Trump over 'Shillary'.

We like to denigrate the right but the left can be just as silly. Emotions and politics just don't mix. But hey ho, it's your vote, as long as you can live with the consequences.

*Trump takedown*
Well said.
This is what I've been saying for a while now, the Bernie's camp is stoking the anger and remove themselves from the mainstream Dems. 20 pages back RD was saying it's imperative there's a Dem in the White House and now apparently he'll consider voting for Trump over 'Shillary'.

We like to denigrate the right but the left can be just as silly. Emotions and politics just don't mix. But hey ho, it's your vote, as long as you can live with the consequences.
Absolutely. I believed for a long time that the public would, one day, warm to Ed Miliband. Christ.

Doesn't Laos have more unexploded bombs and landmines than anywhere else in the world? Oh, it can't have, because there was never a war in Laos was there?

I was at the Quang Tri Province in the summer of 2010. 40 years after the siege there in 1972, there are families whose income comes from finding unexploded bombs, removing the explosives manually and selling the metal. Needless to say more than a few have lost their limbs or lives from that banned practice. That's Kissinger's legacy, and apparently it's all fine and dandy because that was all 'a choice between evils'.

I was at the Quang Tri Province in the summer of 2010. 40 years after the siege there in 1972, there are families whose income comes from finding unexploded bombs, removing the explosives manually and selling the metal. Needless to say more than a few have lost their limbs or lives from that banned practice. That's Kissinger's legacy, and apparently it's all fine and dandy because that was all 'a choice between evils'.

It's awful isn't it? :( There really are some truly horrific stories that come out of Laos.

This will change the Presidential race, should be interesting to hear Cruz and Rubio pontificate tonight

How long does it take to appoint another one? Like, can the republicans block Obama in the hope that they'll get a republican in the white house?

To think, we were begging 2016 to put scythe down.

How long does it take to appoint another one? Like, can the republicans block Obama in the hope that they'll get a republican in the white house?

To think, we were begging 2016 to put scythe down.

Nomination should just take days for Obama - hearings and vote could take many months or even a year

President Cruz picking the next member of the SCOTUS. Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Can someone explain to me why this is of such significance?
Scalia - ultra conservative member of the Supreme Court. They only tend to get replaced when they die. Him going means there's now a chance to make it a majority liberal.

If the Republicans hold up the election of a Justice for 11 months I can see independent voters turning against them very quickly; especially if a few 4-4 votes go out and the Supreme Court basically loses its ability to function.

Supreme Court is such a big part of this election. Not only this now, but RBG is 82! It's yuge.

Basically, the president gets to appoint someone with similar views to them to the supreme court, and the supreme court gets the final say on what is or isn't constitutional - Scalia for example happens to see the constitution as a far right manual.

So for example a liberal would overturn the gun laws? Is that what you mean?

Yes, and they will try to stall until after the election

Could be risky. I read somewhere that their senate majority isn't that solid for 2016.

RBG when asked to retire: "Who will you nominate to replace me who can pass this senate?"

Let's see how this plays out.

CNN saying this fella is the leading contender to replace Scalia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan

Hmm. Seems like he would be a centrist? Would make sense if he wants to push through someone soon.

On another note, 2 of the most iconic liberal judges were appointed by Republicans: Earl Warren and Brennan. Earl Warren was a complete surprise in how liberal he was since he was Republican; Brennan was appointed as a counterweight since Warren was a Republican, so Eisenhower decided to appoint a liberal.

Well Scalia just died. Obama gets to make another Supreme Court pick.

Came to the Caf to comment on this. RIP, but talk about perfect timing.

The Republicans are delusional if they think Obama will leave without placing a replacement in the Court. Best they can do is make sure the judge isnt too leftist.

Came to the Caf to comment on this. RIP, but talk about perfect timing.

The Republicans are delusional if they think Obama will leave without placing a replacement in the Court. Best they can do is make sure the judge isnt too leftist.
Obama is not going to get his nominee...they'll block and stall any and every attempt

The court cannot overturn a constitutional amendment. That is up to Congress and 38 state legislatures. So the answer to your question is no

Thanks.

So what major changes can one expect under a more liberal supreme justice?

Status
Not open for further replies.