Would Fellaini improve under a new manager?

Serious MOTM contender yesterday, stifled Fabregas to almost nought and helped us shift the ball forward.
A growing influence indeed and in tight games where you need something a bit out of the ordinary his presence certainly offers that.
This! So he's not world class but I think he's going to do a job for us this season. He played really well today he shut Fabregas up for most of the game. I hope he has a great season.

And Anderson was once a highly rated youngster who was bought as a long term replacement to Paul Scholes, obviously it didn't work out as planned due to injuries and a poor professional attitude on his part. For a man who most, including myself, would have given away for a song he did well last night and there is no reason for him not to build on it and forge himself a successful career, of sorts, here.
I think he will benefit from LVG's management because he sounds like a man who is clear on what he wants from a player. Obviously it's early days and he has it all to do but let's not take away his best performance for us because some shite, overweight and under-motivated Brazilian couldn't build on his early performances.
It was tongue in cheek mate. I believe in Fellaini

Regression towards the mean this season I think. Small sample still but he is obviously better than he gets credit for. Certainly did not deserve the shower of shit he received after his first sub appearance when he returned from injury. Don't give much for the opinion expressed by some yesterday that LvG is turning shit to gold.

I guess to answer the thread title: Yes, yes he will.

So Moyes splashed close to £30 million on a player he had no idea how to utilize. Brilliant.

So Moyes splashed close to £30 million on a player he had no idea how to utilize. Brilliant.

He was a very good player under Moyes at Everton, so... yeah, I'm sure Moyes had an idea how to utilize him. He's not the first United player to have an underwhelming first season.

Agreed! Also shows that Moyes didn't have a clue because he knew Fellaini more than any other manager. In steps Van Gaal and hopefully will revitalise his UTD career. No one wants to see a player fail particularly at OT.

Under LVG Fellaini will be exposed to proper football. Hopefully it will make him understand his limits (he simply lacks the pace to cover the pitch like Ji Sung Park or Gattuso used to do), use his brains more and stop elbowing players.

LVG may find the player that can bridge his philosophy built on ball possession with the more physical game in the EPL.

I still believe that Fellaini lacks the pace to cover that role. I wont be surprised if LVG goes for Vidal or Strootman who are massive upgrades on Fellaini. However when we consider the lack of quality strength in depth we have in CM and how little interest had Fellaini been able to attract when he was in the transfer market then he would probably end up a good squad player. He certainly be a crowd favorite as United just love a squad player with very little talent and a lot of work rate (sometimes I struggle to understand how the hell most of United fans hasn't opted for Bolton instead)

Fabregas really detests playing against a physical presence, it's like premier league managers have forgotten this fact. Hopefully yesterday was the push for opposition managers to give Cesc a bit of rough treatment from here on. Cut off the supply.

He was a very good player under Moyes at Everton, so... yeah, I'm sure Moyes had an idea how to utilize him. He's not the first United player to have an underwhelming first season.
I agree. He was great for Moyes at Everton, especially in his first season where he scored about 15 goals. In saying that, he was used in a far more advanced role he used him in at United so it's either Moyes' tactics were unclear or he didn't realise that Fellani isn't a great defensive midfielder, which is shocking if that's the case. If I'd worked with someone for 5 years I'd like to think I'd know their strength's and weaknesses.

I think Moyes was scared what fans and the media would think if he used Fellaini the way he did at Everton. Van Gaal has no qualms using Fellaini as a target man/destroyer. Last season Moyes tried using Fellaini as a box to box midfielder to build our play up, but he clearly isn't that sort of player.

Last edited:
needs to work on his throws. He is so uncoordinated, the lad can't take a throw in to save his life. Other than that, keep it up Marrouane :D

Great game yesterday, can't be denied. Our MOTM in my opinion.

I've said all along that while he's not a world class player, he was undeniably a lot better at Everton than he's been for us. Get that form back and he'll be able to contribute in the short term even if its unlikely he'll be around for the long haul.

After all, who else in our squad could have done a job on Fabregas like that? Perhaps only Jones, and he's in the medical room yet again. Who else could have controlled that high ball while being jostled for the equaliser on Monday? No-one probably. So while he's may have the bodily appearance of four anglepoise lamps, he's still offering something no-one else in our squad is.

Had a great game and like a few said he completely took Cesc out of the game. He's actually a really nice guy and it just sucks for him that he came with a huge price tag, other than that if we payed what he was actually worth I'd be a lot more happy with him in the squad. He's playing with confidence and hopefully he'll continue to improve, good on the lad.

Great game yesterday, can't be denied. Our MOTM in my opinion.

I've said all along that while he's not a world class player, he was undeniably a lot better at Everton than he's been for us. Get that form back and he'll be able to contribute in the short term even if its unlikely he'll be around for the long haul.

After all, who else in our squad could have done a job on Fabregas like that? Perhaps only Jones, and he's in the medical room yet again. Who else could have controlled that high ball while being jostled for the equaliser on Monday? No-one probably. So while he's may have the bodily appearance of four anglepoise lamps, he's still offering something no-one else in our squad is.

This exactly.

He is something different. A great option to be handpicked for certain games and situations. Great option when we need a goal too, stick him up top and ping the ball up to him.

I love how this season he isn't attempting to do anything outside of his depth. He doesn't seem to lose the ball, he holds it, and moves it on. Great to see.

This exactly.

He is something different. A great option to be handpicked for certain games and situations.

Which is exactly what Moyes signed him for, as he said in early April:

David Moyes said:
We bought Marouane Fellaini not to play every single game in the Premier League. We have bought him for several games. He did a great job at West Ham, against Aston Villa and against Bayern

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ys-marouane-fellaini-justifying-his-price-tag

Still think so (regardless of his very good last 140 minutes). When/if we sign Strootman (or some other quality midfielder), I think that Fellaini will be sold.

However, I hope he continues playing like this. Better than I ever thought he'll play for us.

Still think so (regardless of his very good last 140 minutes). When/if we sign Strootman (or some other quality midfielder), I think that Fellaini will be sold.

However, I hope he continues playing like this. Better than I ever thought he'll play for us.

The thread and question you answered was " Would Fellaini improve under a new manager". Clearly he has.

I've gone from thinking he'll be sold to thinking he might have a future as a squad player here. He won't be an automatic starter ever, clearly, but in games like yesterday or west brom when we need a change of tactic or more of a physical presence, he can be a very good option. For most games this season our team will probably be herrera, blind, di maria behind the 3 strikers, but it's good to have some variety in there and options off the bench.

Sometimes running in the opposite direction to the herd pays off
Or I am just very intelligent and have a track record of being proven correct.

As I have masterfully stated several times, I am the herder, not the sheep... like most of you are.

When we signed Fellaini, he had the third highest goals and assists for the previous season in the squad, with only Roo and RVP having higher. He was joint 7th in the league I believe. I don't think he is improving under LVG, I just think he's being played in a position which isn't alien to him. Moyes tried shoehorning him into a midfield 2 which was disastrous.

Is it time that I can finally put this thread to rest and say that, yes, Fellaini has improved under our new manager? :)

Glad for him. Turning out to be a good asset to have in our arsenal as a central force for a Plan B.

P.S. I'm already feeling guilty about saying our "arsenal" :nervous::nervous::nervous:

I'm really glad he's improved under LVG no one wants to see anyone fail at OT. He's becoming our go to guy to change games for us, even Ashley Young has been amazing. Could not have predicted that at the start of the season.

I'm really glad he's improved under LVG no one wants to see anyone fail at OT. He's becoming our go to guy to change games for us, even Ashley Young has been amazing. Could not have predicted that at the start of the season.

Goes to prove how little most of us know about football lol. Despite spending 150m, two of arguably the most influential players in the team this season along with DDG.

Unfortunately last year, there were plenty of people hoping he would fail. I'm sure there still are, because the way on the caf these days is ego supersedes wanting the club to suceed.

Unfortunately last year, there were plenty of people hoping he would fail. I'm sure there still are, because the way on the caf these days is ego supersedes wanting the club to suceed.
Well I really hope he goes from strength to strength. He has become a really important part of our team and we certainly miss him when he doesn't play!

Always loved Fellaini. was he playing right mid yesterday? seemed to be popping up over there a lot.

After what he has gone through with the booing I'm very happy for him and hope he does even better.

It's easy to forget that a player is also a human being with feeling, the big man has took it on the chin and proved those fans booing him wrong!

Case closed...

He seems quite good in the games where you need a bit more 'steel' than 'silk' in your squad. For instance Mata was very error prone yesterday but Fellaini, a player who you think of as more of a target man who shouldn't be effective in possession-based football was much more effective because he was picking the simple choice, short pass rather than trying to find his team-mates with long curling crosses like Mata. He's a different type of midfield player to what we need or LVG wants but overall he is showing his confidence under LVG and he looks like a good player now. Hopefully he starts in more matches but I'm not convinced he can do it against opposition like Arsenal, Chelsea and City who will look to exploit his weakness in passing accuracy. However if I'm not mistaken he did very well against Chelsea and City a couple of months ago so who knows? In fact it looks like his technique has improved.

LVG is lucky Fellaini got injured in pre season isn't he..

Fellaini is the same footbalker he has been been for years. The difference last year is that Moyes, of all people, tried to convert him to a holding mid. It didn't work. Louis has launched him forward again, the fruits of which cannot be denied.

Fellaini is the same footbalker he has been been for years. The difference last year is that Moyes, of all people, tried to convert him to a holding mid. It didn't work. Louis has launched him forward again, the fruits of which cannot be denied.

You're right. He's playing at the same level he has been been been playing at for a few seasons prior to his move.

It's a lot of fun reading negative comments about Fellaini early on, in this thread, from many members in this thread who were writing him off even before he got a chance to prove himself.

Good on you Fellaini. Keep up the good work.