Wojciech Szczęsny

Probably end of the season for him.

"I think I won't play this season anymore. I suspect it's a torn tendon in my finger."

He wrote in a text message to his father just after the game.

He seems to be a bit of a stupid guy both on and off the field. He gives me that impression, anyway.

I think he's reckless and I don't see that changing any time soon. Admittedly, he was left in an awful spot, but he has form for charging out and I'm beginning to think that it isn't an age-related issue.

Good reflexes as per, though.

Not all that dissimilar from the red card he picked up for Poland at Euro 2012, is it a difficulty coping with the pressure on occasion?

Not all that dissimilar from the red card he picked up for Poland at Euro 2012, is it a difficulty coping with the pressure on occasion?

He's been in good form all season and playing well. Truth be told, it wasn't even that bad of a sending off. He had to make a decision based on the situation. Some keepers prefer to stay and make the save if they're good shot stoppers. Others will try to close the player down and force a mistake.

Last edited:
The irony...hehe
Wojciech-Szczesny_2782358a.JPG

I think it's pretty harsh to blame him for that really. The ball in was a decent one, and Robben took it very high in the air. He won't be the first keeper to mistime coming out by a fraction of a second when faced with a lightning quick forward, let alone one who can pull the ball out of the air like that.

I remember a very similar incident(I think it was in the PL), when Wojciech caught someone, gave away the penalty, and got a yellow instead of a red. Seemed entirely fair, I think the referee was congratulated for having common sense etc post the game. Anyone ( @alastair ) remember that particular incident and who it was against?

The decision will hinge on whether or not the referee thought the striker got a good enough touch on the ball to bring it under control, of just kicked it past the keeper in the knowledge he'd be taken out. Robben got a pretty good touch, so the red was fair.

robben-pen-2.gif

Yeah, I initially thought the ball went further away, so the ref could've said it wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity. That clearly isn't the case though, so red card was the only correct outcome.

I think the rule is nonsense but by the law it is a red card. What annoyed me was Boatang should of been off as well, inconsistency of refs annoy me more than anything.

I think the rule is nonsense but by the law it is a red card. What annoyed me was Boatang should of been off as well, inconsistency of refs annoy me more than anything.

Is it though?

Surely the rules have to allow referees punish something like this with more than a yellow card.

You can argue the toss about whether they maybe shouldn't give a red if the incident happens inside the box but I don't think you can allow a scenario where Ole could have waited another yard or two before tripping yer man up, safe in the knowledge that he would only get a booking.

You can't send off Boateng there - the ball fell perfectly for Sanogo who fluffed at the chance - plus Özil would still be charged down by Dante in that incident, so Arsenal wasn't deprived of a goalscoring chance.

Is it though?

Surely the rules have to allow referees punish something like this with more than a yellow card.

He cynically hacked him down outside the box there, so that is different. Newcastle will only get a free kick which I wouldn't class as a goal scoring chance. If it is inside the box, a genuine attempt has been made to win the ball and a penalty is awarded then why give a red card as well?

If it is outside the box and last man then it should be a red card, genuine attempt to win the ball or not. Inside the box with a genuine attempt then yellow and penalty, if it is a cynical take down then red card and penalty.

You can't send off Boateng there - the ball fell perfectly for Sanogo who fluffed at the chance - plus Özil would still be charged down by Dante in that incident, so Arsenal wasn't deprived of a goalscoring chance.

Ball only made it's way to Sanogo because Ozil had gone down. Ozil would of been in on goal otherwise. But later in the match Boatang tripped Wilshere cynically on the half way line and escaped a 2nd yellow card, one of those decisions where you would get a yellow unless you're already on one!

Ball only made it's way to Sanogo because Ozil had gone down. Ozil would of been in on goal otherwise. But later in the match Boatang tripped Wilshere cynically on the half way line and escaped a 2nd yellow card, one of those decisions where you would get a yellow unless you're already on one!

Well, yeah, so Arsenal wasn't deprived a goalscoring opportunity, then? It doesn't matter if it's Özil or Sanogo who gets it.

You mean that trip just outside of Arsenal's box in the first half? Come on, never a yellow.

He cynically hacked him down outside the box there, so that is different. Newcastle will only get a free kick which I wouldn't class as a goal scoring chance. If it is inside the box, a genuine attempt has been made to win the ball and a penalty is awarded then why give a red card as well?
You need a deterrent for the foul in the first place. In the Robben case, a penalty doesn't even restore the same opportunity because he previously had a tap-in until Szczesny took him down. Without a red card, Szczesny effectively gets rewarded for taking out Robben, accidentally or not, by having another chance to save the shot.

Last edited:
To be fair to Robben he didn't do the 'toe it past keeper and wait for collision' routine he controlled it past Chezza. Mind you the intent of the that red rule was originally to punish the cynical pro foul not a clumsy challenge.

Well, yeah, so Arsenal wasn't deprived a goalscoring opportunity, then? It doesn't matter if it's Özil or Sanogo who gets it.

You mean that trip just outside of Arsenal's box in the first half? Come on, never a yellow.

Wasn't really a chance for Sanogo because while he did get his shot away but Alaba had already caught up meaning he blocked the shot.

You need a deterrent for the foul in the first place. In the Robben case, a penalty doesn't even restore the same opportunity because he previously had a tap-in until Szczesny took him down. Without a red card, Szczesny effectively gets rewarded for taking out Robben, accidentally or not, by having another chance to save the chance.

With every rule there is always going to be pros and cons. All I'm saying is the team is effectively being punished twice with losing a player and getting a free shot from 12 yards which more often than not is put away.

With every rule there is always going to be pros and cons. All I'm saying is the team is effectively being punished twice with losing a player and getting a free shot from 12 yards which more often than not is put away.
How is that punished twice? The penalty restores the chance and isn't punishment, only the red card is.

Wenger says he might leave at the end of his contract, this summer. He's been in really good form this season and with Wenger's record with keepers they'll only replace him with a bigger clown so they should make sure he stays

Wenger says he might leave at the end of his contract, this summer. He's been in really good form this season and with Wenger's record with keepers they'll only replace him with a bigger clown so they should make sure he stays

He's talking about Fabianski there

How is that punished twice? The penalty restores the chance and isn't punishment, only the red card is.

Then a yellow card should be enough punishment if the chance is restored. That is my view on it anyway.

Then a yellow card should be enough punishment if the chance is restored. That is my view on it anyway.
So you would replace a tap-in after the goalkeeper is beaten with a penalty and think a yellow card is enough punishment to make up for that clear disadvantage?

He signed a new 4 year deal in November, you big clown.

So you would replace a tap-in after the goalkeeper is beaten with a penalty and think a yellow card is enough punishment to make up for that clear disadvantage?
No what you do is you leave the keeper on until after the penalty. If the striker misses you send him off and if the peno is scored you give him a yellow. Bit like the power play in hockey.