Wojciech Szczęsny

Retired at the age of 34 following the end of contract at Juve. There was plenty of talk about interest from Saudi Arabia, but it seems he’s had enough. Good keeper for Poland, although I always rated Fabiański a tiny bit higher and thought Szczesny had a better career because of the head start (famous GK father, Arsenal academy) rather than pure ability

That's a relief, I worried this was going to be a weird bump about us signing him :lol:

Retired at the age of 34 following the end of contract at Juve. There was plenty of talk about interest from Saudi Arabia, but it seems he’s had enough. Good keeper for Poland, although I always rated Fabiański a tiny bit higher and thought Szczesny had a better career because of the head start (famous GK father, Arsenal academy) rather than pure ability
so he's retired but there's plenty of rumours Barca might want to contract him for a year now that Ter Stegen is out injured :lol:

fabianski had been at arsenal 3 years before Szczesny made his arsenal debut. he spent a year on loan and then both played four years together at arsenal where Szczesny was the clear first choice. fabianski also had 20 caps before Szczesny had 2.

one guy was backup at arsenal and then a regular for swansea and west ham. the other was first choice for arsenal, roma and juventus.

Will they be able to register him?
I believe La Liga have a provision that you can sign a player outside the regular deadlines in the event of a long term injury.

I'm not sure if that rule only applies to Barcelona, however, as they're the only club I can recall taking advantage of said rule. They signed Martin Braithwaite outside the window for something like €30m some years ago.

Edit: just looked it up and it was €18m, not €30m

I believe La Liga have a provision that you can sign a player outside the regular deadlines in the event of a long term injury.

I'm not sure if that rule only applies to Barcelona, however, as they're the only club I can recall taking advantage of said rule. They signed Martin Braithwaite outside the window for something like €30m some years ago.

Appreciate the response.

I was referring more to their financial situation, didn't it take them weeks before they could register Olmo!

Appreciate the response.

I was referring more to their financial situation, didn't it take them weeks before they could register Olmo!
Ah I see. Well I think the provision allows them to essentially unregister Ter Steven, thus opening up a clear path to register Szczesny.

It would be pretty funny if they sign him to a contract only to realise they couldn't afford to register him and had no way of generating the income to do so though!

Didnt La Liga say no to Leganés using the same rule to sign a replacement for Braithwaite, so yes possibly a Barca only rule

Is he going in as backup to whoever their 2nd choice is, or is he going in to be 1st choice?
I assume he'll be first choice, based solely on the fact that the current backup, Pena, had a run of games last season and was pretty poor.