Will the greatest player in your nation's history change hands in your lifetime?

I'm not Dutch, but I have been on a Cruyff binge of late as the guy is an ceaselessly fascinating individual both as a player and tactical mind.

What I thought with certainty is that Holland will never have a better player; one that is better than Cruyff. This thought quickly mapped to Germany and Beckenbauer and then started to spiral, as these things do when your mind wants to do anything but put you to sleep on the day before an important event -_-.

Anyway, it kind of dawned on me that there's only a smattering of nations who even have the hint of a possibility of toppling their greatest ever player any time soon - Norway, for example, have contenders and so to do Spain (you can figure out who yourself), but if my middle-of-the-night numbers are correct, 90%+ nations have no chance, not with the crop active, at least.

What I want to know is, from your perspective, is it possible for your nation's best to be bettered before you pop your clogs?

I can't draw consensus on every nation - I'm not sure who the Irish actually deem their best player? (Keane? McGrath? Brady? Giles?), or even the Italians (I'm guessing Baresi?) but in nearly every instance, I think their best is basically immortal and untouchable as far as what is there to challenge them. Is this correct?

I think Wirtz has the talent to best Beckenbauer. Musiala possibly as well. But it highly depends on what you're looking at. Beckenbauer won a WC and an EC, his time's equivalent of the UCL three times in a row and his legacy is also defined by his work as a coach and later DFB official. Moreover, I doubt if it is even possible to revolutionize a position like Beckenbauer has done with the sweeper in the modern game. So in terms of quality, I think we have one or two players capable of matching or even surpassing him but in terms of legacy, it will be much more difficult.

Hazard for me.

Probably loads who'll say KDB but hasn't done nearly as much as Hazard for our NT imo and has been the beneficiary of playing under Pep in a stacked team. Prime Hazard was the catalyst for multiple Chelsea titles and our best ever World Cup finish. His decline (and absence from the Euros just now) shows that we're quite an average NT, even with De Bruyne playing. Also fourth in caps for Belgium (Lukaku will overtake him next year, KDB might eventually but uncertain at this point).

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that I'll see a better Belgian player in my lifetime (I'm 30) but don't see it happening in the next 5-10 years with the talent that's currently coming through. Even the likes of Doku, who's also a winger and our most promising youngster at the moment, don't even come remotely close to what Hazard was doing at that age for me.

I agree von de Bruyne vs. Hazard but what about Duranville? Insanely talented from what I've seen so far. If he manages to stay fit, the U20 player to keep an eye on in the Bundesliga, IMO.

I agree von de Bruyne vs. Hazard but what about Duranville? Insanely talented from what I've seen so far. If he manages to stay fit, the U20 player to keep an eye on in the Bundesliga, IMO.
Have to admit I think I've barely seen any games from him, thought injuries have derailed his last two seasons. There must be something there if Dortmund comes and get you from Anderlecht at 16 years old, but there are loads of examples (Charli Musonda comes to mind) who still don't make it to the top in those cases, let alone Hazard level. But one to keep an eye on indeed yes!

Interesting thanks, I think I would have to agree. The guy was a genius on the pitch and I'll always appreciate flair players more so. Who would have been Belgium's greatest pre Hazard?
I'd say Kompany.

Or if you're really talking about the previous generations of the players born in late 80s, early 90s: Jean-Marie Pfaff, Michel Preud'homme, Enzo Scifo, Jan Ceulemans and Paul Van Himst are the ones that come to mind. But they were playing (or in Scifo's instance, peaked) before my time. As for standing on the international stage though, I don't think any of them come close to our "golden generation" players but that might also be because of social media exposure these days.

Who is Spain's greatest ever?
Xavi, Iniesta, or Luis Suarez from the 60's depending on who you ask.

For me as an Australian, it's currently Cahill of Kewell depending on preference, which isn't a hugely high bar but we haven't produced a top player since so I'm not massively optimistic.

Hazard for me.

Probably loads who'll say KDB but hasn't done nearly as much as Hazard for our NT imo and has been the beneficiary of playing under Pep in a stacked team. Prime Hazard was the catalyst for multiple Chelsea titles and our best ever World Cup finish. His decline (and absence from the Euros just now) shows that we're quite an average NT, even with De Bruyne playing. Also fourth in caps for Belgium (Lukaku will overtake him next year, KDB might eventually but uncertain at this point).

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that I'll see a better Belgian player in my lifetime (I'm 30) but don't see it happening in the next 5-10 years with the talent that's currently coming through. Even the likes of Doku, who's also a winger and our most promising youngster at the moment, don't even come remotely close to what Hazard was doing at that age for me.

Scifo and Preud’homme for me.

In a lot of countries it's not so clear cut who the GOAT is. Off the top of my head: Spain, France, Norway, Denmark, South Korea, Japan etc. Then there are debatable ones like England (although I'm sure that most would agree that it's Sir Bobby).

For Denmark its absolutely Michael Laudrup. Followed by the great dane.

For Denmark its absolutely Michael Laudrup. Followed by the great dane.

I thought that it was more open for debate, but that might just be my United bias talking.

Pete is arguably one of the 5 best goalkeepers in history. Without question top 10. For the conversation to be immediately shut down I think Laudrup unquestionably has to be top 10 (since there are more midfielders than goalkeepers).

I'd say Kompany.

Or if you're really talking about the previous generations of the players born in late 80s, early 90s: Jean-Marie Pfaff, Michel Preud'homme, Enzo Scifo, Jan Ceulemans and Paul Van Himst are the ones that come to mind. But they were playing (or in Scifo's instance, peaked) before my time. As for standing on the international stage though, I don't think any of them come close to our "golden generation" players but that might also be because of social media exposure these days.
Cheers, will check out Scifo and Preud'homme, belting name by the way. Honestly not heard of them before!

I thought that it was more open for debate, but that might just be my United bias talking.

Pete is arguably one of the 5 best goalkeepers in history. Without question top 10. For the conversation to be immediately shut down I think Laudrup unquestionably has to be top 10 (since there are more midfielders than goalkeepers).

I have honestly never met a Dane that doesn't consider Laudrup the greatest Danish player of all time.

Ivory Coast: Drogba > Amad Diallo

Well Michael Laudrup was voted as best Danish footballer of all time by the dbu. Was voted as the greatest danish footballer ever by Uefa and voted the best foreign player in la liga in the past 25 years some time at the start of this century.

Comparing a attacking midfielder and a goalkeeper almost can't be done. The goalkeeper role is so different to all the other ones that they will in general be ousted to the players who excell with the ball at their feet.

A lot can happen in 3, 4 or even 5 decades (touch wood). Maradona and Messi were born mere 27 years apart, for instance. So I will focus on the next two decades.

Croatia: Already happened in my lifetime, but will be very difficult to oust a 6xCL and Ballon d'Or winner. Would probably take a genuine Croatian Messi™ though.
Bosnia & Hercegovina: Think it's possible, with all due respect to Džeko and Sušić.
Serbia: Very difficult, but feel they are due a bona fide superstar at some point. Lots of romanticism to get past the likes of Džajić and Piksi though.
Slovenia: Arguably already happened between the Oblaks, but there has not been a genuine outfield candidate for decades.
Montenegro: Slim chance.
Northern Macedonia: Already happened with Pandev. Does Elmas have a legitimate chance?
Kosovo: Guaranteed.
Albania: Already happened and I can see it again after their positive Euro performance.
Greece: Whoever stakes a claim will have to contend with a bunch of local league & club legends who never did anything of note internationally; Domazos, Hatzipanagis, Koudas, Mavros, Delikaris et al.
Hungary: Impossible.
Bulgaria: Most likely not.
Romania: Most likely not.
Turkey: Already have a potential contender to whomever is considered the greatest currently (is it really Arda?).
Czechia: Nope.
Slovakia: Most likely not.
Poland: It already happened. Someone carrying Poland to major international success could do it, but that's no easy task.
Russia: Don't see it.
Other Post-Soviet states: Can't be arsed now.

Reactions: Fortitude
I have honestly never met a Dane that doesn't consider Laudrup the greatest Danish player of all time.

Well Michael Laudrup was voted as best Danish footballer of all time by the dbu. Was voted as the greatest danish footballer ever by Uefa and voted the best foreign player in la liga in the past 25 years some time at the start of this century.

Comparing a attacking midfielder and a goalkeeper almost can't be done. The goalkeeper role is so different to all the other ones that they will in general be ousted to the players who excell with the ball at their feet.

Fair enough! It's a lot more one-sided than I thought then.

I think Xhaka will go down as the best ever Swiss player, once he ends his career.
He probably is already, no? Most capped player, some big performances at major tournaments etc.

For me it’s extremely unlikely. Russian football is in the mud, there’s barely any money in youth football, transfers to European football are possible but extremely hard, there’s the ban on biggest international competitions… and the one to beat is Lev Yashin, widely recognized as a top-3 ever in his position (and for many he’s still the GOAT goalkeeper).

So you’ll need a Mbappé-level of talent with a lot of luck and perseverance to overcome the additional challenges. Or hope and pray that a Russian-born kid will escape Russia at an early age and will develop in a better system (like, say, Ibragimov… but will he even represent Russia if he’s successful? He’s already playing for England’s youth teams if I’m not mistaken, so it’ll be hard to make case for him even if we imagine that he wins a couple of Ballon d’Ors and overcomes Yashin).

With the United States, it’ll probably change multiple times in my lifetime. Right now, it’s Landon Donovan and it should shift to Pulisic in the next decade. And I assume we can produce someone better than him in the next 40-50 years

Turkey: Already have a potential contender to whomever is considered the greatest currently (is it really Arda?).

Turkey seems inevitable. I don't know if Arda really is their best player ever. He didn't really achieve anything of note at a top team. What about Calhanoglu? His last season was excellent for Inter and he added a Serie A title to his CV.

But regardless who you consider their best ever, it would be a disappointment if he wasn't surpassed in the next, say, 10 years with Güler, Yildiz and Uzun all looking extremely promising. That being said, there are very few nations whose talents underachieve as constantly as Turkey's. Still can't wrap my head around how somebody as talented as Emre Mor had such an underwhelming career.

First and foremost, great thread @Fortitude

Granted "my nation" isn't Georgia, but given the OP mentioned multiple nations I believe my contribution is acceptable, as it contributes to the discussion.

People have different standards to what constitutes being a "nations greatest player " so in this post I'm going to explore a few. Starting with ...

Kakha Kaladze. Okay? But distinguishes him from others. Well, his trophy cabinet with the most notable being he has two Champions League honors to his name. In the 2002/3 UCL Campaign, his group included Bayern Munich who had the likes of Zé Roberto, Ballack, Élber and co. An exuberant side in Deportivo de La Coruña that were making themselves known domestically and on the European stage (back to back quarter finalists). In the next stage Milan had to deal with Real Madrid meaning Kaladze's direct opponent was none other than Figo!! Detractors of this suggestion might go, okay but it was still fecking Milan. And to that I feel it's noteworthy that Milan found themselves in a pickle with having to play Ajax in the Quarter finals with Gattuso, Pirlo and Seedorf out of contention, and one of the players that had to demonstrate his versatility to the betterment of the team was ... that's right Kaladze. He played in midfield for this specific game as Milan advanced to the next round where he was back at left back as they knocked out Inter and Juventus respectively.

Murtaz Khurtsilava. Great, is this going to be another wall of text from fecking Rasendori. Ummm moving on. So if the former managed all that, then how the heck could Khurtsilava be argued in his own right? Well, I go back to the topic sentence from earlier, 'people have different standards to what constitutes being a "nations greatest player'. I taken an excerpt from Uefa PDF which reads as

To mark UEFA’s Golden Jubilee, each of the 52 member associations has been invited to nominate its most outstanding player of the past 50 years. The 52 Golden Players selected, listed below, will findpermanent recognition at the House of European Football in Nyon. A specially created display withinUEFA’s headquarters will feature all 52 stars, thus ensuring a permanent presence for each country’stop player.While each of the 52 European national associations has nominated its own Golden Player, footballfans worldwide are being invited to make their voice heard through the 50-50 vote to identify the fans’choice of the 50 best European players of the past 50 years. Fans have until the 11 December tomake their choice on uefa.com from pre-selected lists covering the five decades since UEFA wasfounded in 1954. UEFA will reveal the top 50 on uefa.com, starting with number 50 in the first week of January and building up to the top three in the week of the UEFA Congress in April. The winner for Georgia was Murtaz Khurtsilava.

For those curious about the other nations:

Albania Albania – Panajot Pano
Andorra Andorra – Koldo*
Armenia Armenia – Khoren Oganesian
Austria Austria – Herbert Prohaska
Azerbaijan Azerbaijan – Anatoliy Banishevskiy
Belarus Belarus – Sergei Aleinikov
Belgium Belgium – Paul Van Himst
Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina – Safet Sušić
Bulgaria Bulgaria – Hristo Stoichkov
Croatia Croatia – Davor Šuker
Cyprus Cyprus – Sotiris Kaiafas
Czech Republic Czech Republic – Josef Masopust
Denmark Denmark – Michael Laudrup
England England – Bobby Moore
Estonia Estonia – Mart Poom*
Faroe Islands Faroe Islands – Abraham Løkin
Finland Finland – Jari Litmanen*
France France – Just Fontaine
North Macedonia North Macedonia – Darko Pančev
Georgia (country) Georgia – Murtaz Khurtsilava
Germany Germany – Fritz Walter
Greece Greece – Vasilis Hatzipanagis
Hungary Hungary – Ferenc Puskás
Iceland Iceland – Ásgeir Sigurvinsson
Republic of Ireland Republic of Ireland – Johnny Giles
Israel Israel – Mordechai Spiegler
Italy Italy – Dino Zoff
Kazakhstan Kazakhstan – Sergey Kvochkin[1]
Latvia Latvia – Aleksandrs Starkovs
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein – Rainer Hasler
Lithuania Lithuania – Arminas Narbekovas*
Luxembourg Luxembourg – Louis Pilot
Malta Malta – Carmel Busuttil
Moldova Moldova – Pavel Cebanu
Netherlands Netherlands – Johan Cruyff
Northern Ireland Northern Ireland – George Best[1]
Norway Norway – Rune Bratseth
Poland Poland – Włodzimierz Lubański
Portugal Portugal – Eusébio
Romania Romania – Gheorghe Hagi
Russia Russia – Lev Yashin
San Marino San Marino – Massimo Bonini
Scotland Scotland – Denis Law
Serbia and Montenegro Serbia and Montenegro – Dragan Džajić
Slovakia Slovakia – Ján Popluhár
Slovenia Slovenia – Branko Oblak
Spain Spain – Alfredo di Stéfano
Sweden Sweden – Henrik Larsson*
Switzerland Switzerland – Stéphane Chapuisat*
Turkey Turkey – Hakan Şükür*
Ukraine Ukraine – Oleg Blokhin
Wales Wales – John Charles

David Kipiani - I feel like I wouldn't be able to do the player justice with my own extensive commentary. Therefore, I would recommend reading the following:
https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/...political-maestro-the-story-of-kakha-kaladze/
https://medium.com/@maltacalcio/who-was-david-kipiani-2df3edf9f7a4
https://www.ilnostrocalcio.it/2022/11/18/david-kipiani-2/
He's also a player that has been discussed on BigSoccer.com

People have different standards to what constitutes being a "nations greatest player. In this sense, David Kipiani applies when talking strictly about talent.

Aleksandre Chivadze - Naturally, I couldn't leave out Aleksandre Chivadze. I mean I read some years back that there's literally an award named after him which is awarded annually by Georgian Football Federation to talented young player. And funnily enough, I've just gone on YouTube to share a video and I saw a familiar name, the Caf resident @harms . In that case, I'll leave it to him to chime in on what he thinks of Aleksandre Chivadze.

Harms Video mentioned:

Khvicha Kvaratskhelia - FFS Rasendori, another wall of text, but have you actually broached the question because I ain't reading all that. Don't worry, I intentionally left this one for last. Well what is the question presented by the OP ... Will the greatest player in your nation's history change hands in your lifetime? I believe that player for Georgia might very well be Kvaratskhelia. I believe he has sprinkling of stardust in in tight spaces, and the right level of technique, application and perseverance to relish the responsibility of being considered spearheaded if you will for club and country. For a moment forget about the silverware, votes etc, what player can match the magic of what he can do with a football and that alone not only puts him in contention for Georgia, and I think by the time he retires he'll be indisputably considered as Georgia's greatest player in their nations history.

Reactions: Fortitude
This will be fairly easy for some of the smaller football nations (in football's context, like the USA), but how do you top players like Pele or Messi in one lifetime?

That's got to be the next George Weah, I can't even name another player from Liberia! You'd have a better chance winning the lottery vs topping his achievements.

He probably is already, no? Most capped player, some big performances at major tournaments etc.
I‘d agree, but I am not sure how common that opinion is within Switzerland.

There‘s still a lot of love for Chapuisat. Max Abegglen also deserves a shout as he was the goalscorer for the Swiss side that won olympic silver 1924 - but that’s obviously a long time ago.

I’d imagine that most Georgians would go with Kipiani. He’s probably the most talented (Khvicha may challenge him on that though) and, without doubt, the most romanticized figure in Georgian football. He barely played for the national team (unlike Chivadze, Khurtsilava, Meskhi or Metreveli), which hurts his overall recognition, but that wasn’t all on him — just like with Cherenkov, he was very much a stylistic misfit to the very strict vision of Beskov & Lobanovsky (politics played a part in it too).

Overall Khvicha has a fantastic chance of securing that top spot all for himself. You can even argue that he already did… at least he came extremely close to doing it. And he’s just 23.

I thought Paul Gascoigne was going to do it and surpass Sir Bobby. But it didn't turn out that way. Hes still the best player I've personally seen at a game playing for England.

Don't think England will ever produce a striker better than arry Kane

This will be fairly easy for some of the smaller football nations (in football's context, like the USA), but how do you top players like Pele or Messi in one lifetime?
To be fair, Messi did top (by most people’s opinion) seemingly immovable Maradona and many people were lucky to have witnessed both during their lifetime. And it’s not like there’s a rule that a talent of such magnitude can only be born once in X amount of years.

Even for Brazil in the past few decades we’ve seen Ronaldo, Ronaldinho & Neymar (controversial, I know, but the talent was there) who could’ve challenged Pelé if they were luckier with injuries and, more importantly, had Pelé’s professionalism and drive. That’s a big if, of course.

Great thread.

For England you'd need someone to win the European cup, a number of leagues, the European player of the year and at least a Euros I'd say. All while being a key player and breaking scoring records.

Rooney had the best shot (obviously as he is the best English player in my lifetime).

I also think it will be challenging as coaching seems to be less orientated on individual talent and creativity.

I reckon no sadly.

For England it's tough, Sir Bobby is the obvious answer, but played such a long time ago when football was a different sport so could easily be surpassed with a bit of success in the team.

If England won a tournament that was driven by a star, and that star was winning as the main man at their club team it could be more than possible.

It'll never be Kane because he has had such a torrid time at club level into his 30s. But Bellingham could do it or someone in his position.

Football fans are very different now also, so consensus will always be hard with a question like that. Mainoo could win the lot and be England captain winning the next 8 tournaments, but no City, Liverpool, Arsenal fan is giving him greatest ever shouts, whereas its easier to accept the greatness of a player that played 70 years ago.

For South Africa, Jomo Sono, Teenage Dladla, Kaizer Motaung and a host legends deprived the chance to shine in international football by apartheid. Way better than all these post-apartheid stars.

Reinildo Mandava will surpass Tico tico and Pelembe in Mozambican football.

Mahrez ,Salah and Mane for me are the GOATs of their respective nations.

Hakimi and Osimhen have potential to to be future GOATs.

I don’t think we’ll produce a better player than Litmanen for at least half a decade.
What prospect do you have that might surpass him?
I mean, have to admit I probably I don't follow finnish football much, but for someone to overtake him in only 5+ years, they'd have to be in the pipeline already, and when I look at finnish national team, U21 team, and U19 team on transfermarkt, it looks like slim pickings..