Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

He's obviously in the conversation for sure but no player with his disappointing showings at the world cup will ever be the greatest ever.

Ahh... essentially another Messi vs Ronaldo thread, can't wait to see these brand new, never before heard discussions.

This guy is just amazing. When Messi won the ballon d'or 4 times in a row, I never thought Ronaldo would be able to catch up. I only expected the 4-1 gap to widen even further. But soon, it's going to be 5-5. If Madrid win the CL, Ronaldo will also have 4 CL trophies again equaling Messi.

He's obviously in the conversation for sure but no player with his disappointing showings at the world cup will ever be the greatest ever.
Like Messi, constant failure with a team of superstars.

The difference is, had Ronaldo managed to reach a WC final with Portugal - he would ensure they win.

Well the obvious argument is the Euro's, but I agree he could've done better in the world cup, but that does apply to Messi too.

He's the best player I've ever seen. Ronaldinho would be second for me.

Messi is an insane player but for me Cristiano and Ronaldinho are more entertaining to watch.

Well the obvious argument is the Euro's, but I agree he could've done better in the world cup, but that does apply to Messi too.
He really hasn't lit up the euro's either.
Like Messi, constant failure with a team of superstars.

The difference is, had Ronaldo managed to reach a WC final with Portugal - he would ensure they win.

Wouldn't be to sure about that, anyways dont know what Messi has to do with anything. he does have similar arguments against him though.

He's up there in the discussion.

And, in my view, there's absolutely no doubt that his personality will ultimately impact how people perceive him on a GOAT list adversely. Shouldn't but will.

He's the best player I've ever seen. Ronaldinho would be second for me.

Messi is an insane player but for me Cristiano and Ronaldinho are more entertaining to watch.
Never heard such nonsense in my life. Ronaldo is a goal machine and his flair, dribbling, passing, and creativity come nowhere close to Messi and Ronaldinho. Messi is the greatest because he combines ridiculous skill like Ronaldinho, with insane goal scoring like Ronaldo. Ronaldo scores tap ins and headers, Messi beats half a dozen players and chips it over the keeper. How on earth can that be less entertaining?

Wouldn't be to sure about that, anyways dont know what Messi has to do with anything. he does have similar arguments against him though.
Won the Silver boot and had a really good tournament in 2004. He also was a part of the team that won the Euros whilst being captain. Considering his team aren't exactly full of stars it's a pretty good accomplishment.

Never heard such nonsense in my life. Ronaldo is a goal machine and his flair, dribbling, passing, and creativity come nowhere close to Messi and Ronaldinho. Messi is the greatest because he combines ridiculous skill like Ronaldinho, with insane goal scoring like Ronaldo. Ronaldo scores tap ins and headers, Messi beats half a dozen players and chips it over the keeper. How on earth can that be less entertaining?
You can probably count on one hand the number of those goals.

Ronaldo at United was a different player. More entertaining than Messi.

And I suppose all 400 of Messi's goals were him dribbling past 7 players and chipping the keeper? :rolleyes:

I can be, unless injury occurs, Ronaldo always puts in a performance in a final. Either scoring or being MOTM.

He is definitely in the GOAT tier, with the likes of Pele, Maradona and Zidane.

We are lucky to have to GOATs (the other being Messi) both playing at their peaks (or close to) at the same time.

I hope the 'GOAT' tag loses favour in coming years. It's horrible. Also riduculous as it has no qualifier. Who's the GOAT; Miles Davis? Messi? Tesla? Enzo Ferrari?

Best Player Ever - or versions of it - needs to make like The Democrats, dust itself off and push out the playground abbreviations & nonsensical.

#OlderGenerationAt30 yes I know

We are lucky to have to GOATs (the other being Messi) both playing at their peaks (or close to) at the same time.

Thought we were on to a good post until you mentioned Zidane...
Arguably not even Frances greatest player.

Yay, dozens of pages of Messi fans telling anyone who holds a different opinion that they're wrong.

Yeah we are, it must've been a pleasure to be around in the 60's with Best, Eusebio and Pele around or in the 80's with Zico, Platini and Maradona around.

Won the Silver boot and had a really good tournament in 2004. He also was a part of the team that won the Euros whilst being captain. Considering his team aren't exactly full of stars it's a pretty good accomplishment.
Weak tournaments in a historical context. None of his efforts in an international tournament are even in the top 30 all time and that's a shame for a player of his standing. No team had a team filled with stars last year in the euro's, those days are long gone. They even managed to win it with him cheer-leading.

He's one of the GOATs but his problem is that he has been playing at the same time as the actual GOAT so we can all compare them directly, unlike Messi vs. Pele/Maradona. And in that comparison he falls short. If you're not the best in your generation, you're not the GOAT.

He's one of the GOATs but his problem is that he has been playing at the same time as the actual GOAT so we can all compare them directly, unlike Messi vs. Pele/Maradona. And in that comparison he falls short. If you're not the best in your generation, you're not the GOAT.

That's a matter of opinion though isn't it.

Messi may well be the more naturally gifted, but some might consider Ronaldo the "better" player by way of his work ethic, the fact that he inspired a major international tournament win of because he's done it in two different leagues.

Sons might still consider Maradona or Pele to be better than them both. That's the beauty of this debate - it's all about personal opinion.

That's a matter of opinion though isn't it.

Messi may well be the more naturally gifted, but some might consider Ronaldo the "better" player by way of his work ethic, the fact that he inspired a major international tournament win of because he's done it in two different leagues.

Sons might still consider Maradona or Pele to be better than them both. That's the beauty of this debate - it's all about personal opinion.
Of course it's a matter of opinion, it's bound to be. I just find it hard to believe that any neutral who has watched them regularly over the years would consider Ronaldo to be the better player. Both are outstanding, both are all-time greats, I just think there's a very clear gap in Messi's favour.

for me he's the 3rd best, behind both Pele and Messi. At any rate he's probably the best finisher of all time.

For me, no. Messi, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff and Di Stefano are over him and will be. Artists and true geniuses of the game. Ronaldo is very prolific, but outside scoring he doesn't really impress me with anything else. Not with his dribbling, not with his passing, not with his playmaking or overall vision of the game.

He's probably at the limit of where hard-work and determination can take you in the game. A true great, but there is no question Messi is the better player in my mind.

I just find it hard to believe that any neutral who has watched them regularly over the years would consider Ronaldo to be the better player.
Yet they do.

I myself find it hard to separate them. But the most ridiculous nonsense I see in this discussion is usually people who are convinced that there's no debate because Messi is clearly better. For the life of me I can't figure why Messi amassed more of these fans than Ronaldo has. Maybe because he's short and dribbles a lot?

Ah another Ronaldo vs Messi debate is what is needed.

For me, no. Messi, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff and Di Stefano are over him and will be. Artists and true geniuses of the game. Ronaldo is very prolific, but outside scoring he doesn't really impress me with anything else. Not with his dribbling, not with his passing, not with his playmaking or overall vision of the game.

I respect everyone's opinion but when someone says that about Ronaldo I can't take their opinion seriously. It proves to me you have either not watched Ronaldo enough or are willing to accept how amazing is game is. Though, the team you support would explain it..

2nd best I've seen in terms of consistent impact. Can't say for sure but I imagine he's outside the elite top 3-5 in history. Doesn't influence in enough aspects despite being as brilliant as be us. It's a silly debate though. Few have seen all the greats anyway.

I'm not a fan but he is great and should be in any serious GOAT conversation. His stats and consistency are from an other world.