Who was your favourite player as a kid?

He was my favourite player growing up. It's hard to believe he is only one year older than Teddy Sheringham. If he never got injured and was teetotal, Whiteside could have been the hero in the CL final in 1999. That's sounds weird, but could have been a dream corne true!
Yeah for sure! Will never forget that FA cup goal. Amazing talent that was not fully utilized sadly.

In 1996 I was eight years old, but my world didnt go much further than Ajax after the Champions League win in 1995.. Another year later and it was still only Ajax Ajax Ajax reaching another CL final..

Then in Euro 1996 I suddenly see Karel Poborsky making this goal.. That Czech team with Pavel Kuka, Pavel Nedved, Radek Bejbl, Karel Poborsky, Patrick Berger...

I remember this was the first time I got so excited by something else than only Ajax.. I remember my dad already talking about Manchester United (he's a huge fan) before, but only when Karel Poborsky came here after the euro's did I become genuinely interested.. Not long after that I remember the Beckham halfway goal vs Wimbledon..

Safe to say there was no way back after that..

Last edited:
I started playing football in 1990 and was Bryan Robson on the school playground. When he got injured in Italia 90, and with no other United players around, Enzo Scifo made a big impression on me for Belgium

Bryan Robson .
But also Jesper Olsen. Always had his shirt outside his shorts . Th kids nowadays would love that!

I lived near to Leeds and knew a lot of Leeds fans. Many of my family were Leeds (except my Dad who was Liverpool). I remember being so jealous of them having Cantona, and all of my friends would sing the "ooh aah Cantona" song which really irritated me.

At this point we had fairly slim pickings but I do remember thinking Kanchelskis was my favourite at that time kind of by default. The day we signed Cantona was insane for me. I couldn't believe it, she neither could my Leeds supporting friends and family!

He became my favourite really quickly just because of this, but of course over the years, his attitude and class made me love him. I had posters of him everywhere!

Scholes, Keane but especially Dwight Yorke.

Scored goals, played with his collar up but most importantly played with a smile on his face. Led us to the treble. Legend. (Obviously too young then to know about the dodgy stuff with Jordan and the child)

David Herd. Just in case some of you have to goggle him, he played for United from 61 to 68 and scored to goals in the 1963 Cup final, one the first United games I remember.

Giggsy. Only player since he retired who I’d have called my ‘favourite player’ was Mason Greenwood, didn’t quite work out that one.

R9, i remember watching him for the first time playing for inter on football Italia on channel 4. I was mesmerised. Then later on, when I started supporting United, I loved giggs and becks.

You don't know one of the clubs biggest legends from the 80's?

3395933-9248942201-clayto.jpeg

Giggs, still to my eyes the most aesthetically pleasing style of play from a Utd player in my lifetime, as well as being at his peak the most exhilarating. Giggs at OT on a European night in the 90's is foundational footballing memories for me.

Gullit, Van Basten, Savicevic, Laudrup, Hagi, Waddle, Le Tissier. John Barnes was a special player I had to tell myself to outwardly dislike because he played for Liverpool

No idea. I think this is the first time I heard about him.

No worries, he wasn't really my favourite player and if you're on the younger side you won't have heard of every player from decades ago. He left the club 30 years ago.

If you were a kid in the 80's and United fan, and your answer isn't Bryan Robson? Who hurt you?

Bryan Robson

Also a bit left field and Im not sure why, but I used to really like Jesper Olsen,

Yup Im an 80s kid

Last edited:
Kahn, for his presence
Somewhat random: Edgar Davids, i thought his glasses were so cool :lol: