Who was your favourite player as a kid?

Michael Laudrup was my first favourite player as far as I remember. A bit later I liked Bergkamp, but mostly only got to see his highlights.

Back then there was much less football on TV so I used to love things like football Iralianwhen you got to see some of these players up close. I was drawn to enigmatic players. “As a kid” is quite broad, so I’ll cover the period of probably 8 to 16, during which these were some of my favourites for varying reasons:

Darko Pancev
Álvaro Recoba
Dejan Savicevic
Faustino Asprilla
Roberto Baggio
Romario
Rai
Joao Pinto
Paolo Futre
Marco Van Basten
Hristo Stoichkov
Matthias Sammer
Gheorge Hagi
Davor Suker
Diego Maradona
Claudio Cannigia
Gabriel Batistuta
Alessandro Del Piero
Roberto Carlos
Javier Zanetti
Patrick Kluivert
Zvonimir Boban
Carlos Valderrama
Fredy Rincon
Enzo Scifo
Jurgen Klinsmann
Eric Cantona
Fernando Redondo

Loads more. Just a few that came to mind.
Thought you were @LuckyScout78 for a minute there.

Back then there was much less football on TV so I used to love things like football Iralianwhen you got to see some of these players up close. I was drawn to enigmatic players. “As a kid” is quite broad, so I’ll cover the period of probably 8 to 16, during which these were some of my favourites for varying reasons:

Darko Pancev
Álvaro Recoba
Dejan Savicevic
Faustino Asprilla
Roberto Baggio
Romario
Rai
Joao Pinto
Paolo Futre
Marco Van Basten
Hristo Stoichkov
Matthias Sammer
Gheorge Hagi
Davor Suker
Diego Maradona
Claudio Cannigia
Gabriel Batistuta
Alessandro Del Piero
Roberto Carlos
Javier Zanetti
Patrick Kluivert
Zvonimir Boban
Carlos Valderrama
Fredy Rincon
Enzo Scifo
Jurgen Klinsmann
Eric Cantona
Fernando Redondo

Damn! If you had to reduce that down to three, who would you choose?

Robson first. Displaced by Hughes after he rejoined us. Hughes displaced by Cantona.

Disloyal.

Always pretended to be Zico or Socrates! And wrote a story at school about the legendary Ryan Bobson

Ruud van Nistelrooy was the man scoring the goals, so naturally he was my favourite. Ronaldinho was a close second.

Don't you mean Kevin Horlock?

With hindsight I'm sure everyone would rather have grown up admiring a decent bloke like Kevin Horlick than a piece of human excrement like Ryan Giggs that's for sure.

In primary school, it was Cantona. We always played with our collars up.
Secondary school, it was Beckham, though I loved Veron. I always tried to pass the ball with the outside of the foot. Absolute class player on his day.

McClair, Beckham then Totti, the latter was due to the influence of Golazzo on C4.

Eric Cantona. I became a United fan because of him.

Peter Schmeichel. Absolute monster of a keeper.

I also used to really enjoy watching Gianfranco Zola.

Beckham, Giggs and then Ruud

Beckham. Always. Used to practice his stance when he kicked the ball. Foot to the side of the ball, arms out. Free kicks and crosses.

Paul Parker always seemed really humble and gave everything when he was in the pitch.

Park Ji what a player AA battery never stopped running. Remembered once he was given the armband you could see how proud he was. Special special player

None united Bixente Lizarazu Bordeaux days before his transfer to Bayern. What a player he was

Last edited:
Who did you pretend to be in the school yard while playing football?

Was only ever one choice for me.

That's a fantastic choice. His left foot is pretty much unparalleled in history of football.

van nistelrooy when i was 10. But back then in 04 (maybe even still now i have no idea) you had to pay per letter on the back of your shirt (same with numbers), so v. Nistelrooy with #10 on the back was a nogo - my mum convinced me to get Saha 9 instead and I loved him for 2 years til I was allowed to get Rooney :devil:

Funnily enough in school I always tried to emulate lampard, Arriving late from midfield and scoring long range goals- despite being a United fan I loved him for some reason :lol:

Last edited:
First favourite player was Lou Macari closely followed by Jimmy Greenhoff.

Darko Pancev
Álvaro Recoba
Dejan Savicevic
Faustino Asprilla
Roberto Baggio
Romario
Rai
Joao Pinto
Paolo Futre
Marco Van Basten
Hristo Stoichkov
Matthias Sammer
Gheorge Hagi
Davor Suker
Diego Maradona
Claudio Cannigia
Gabriel Batistuta
Alessandro Del Piero
Roberto Carlos
Javier Zanetti
Patrick Kluivert
Zvonimir Boban
Carlos Valderrama
Fredy Rincon
Enzo Scifo
Jurgen Klinsmann
Eric Cantona
Fernando Redondo

My first thought was this thread was a trap to remove more “mature” posters in some woke ageist agenda. But being as you’ve gone.

First…. Buchan (our Rolls Royce before Rio). Majestic

Non United… Rivelinho (great Top Trumps card), Zico, then Platini.