Who succeeds Southgate as the next England manager? | Lee Carsley interim manager

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's an interesting situation. If he steps down after the Euros with all these talented young players, who will the FA trust to develop the team going forward? And who would England fans want?

Do people know what the decision making process is like for appointing a manager for England? Looking at the FA board there's very limited football experience there (Rick Parry, Jobi McAnuff, and Jack Pearce as a board observer), the rest are business people and venture capitalists.

When Southgate was appointed the committee in charge consisted of then:

FA CEO Martin Glenn (who was involved as a director at Leicester and actually has coaching qualifications, with a box ticking business résumé)
FA Vice-Chairman David Gill, previously United CEO
FA Technical Director Dan Ashworth who had been a youth coach at Cambridge before working in the youth setup at West Brom eventually revolutionising the structure of the club

Would it be correct to assume it will be people occupying the same positions, namely:
FA CEO Mark Bullingham
FA Vice-Chairman Peter McCormick
FA Technical Director John McDermott (succeeding Les Reed in '21), who oversaw Spurs' academy for a number of years and took Alex Inglethorpe and Kieran McKenna under his wing (the latter of whom rated him extremely highly, as well as Inglethorpe who was senior to him)

This is such an important decision. Someone courageous enough not to just throw all the best players into a pile of XI and hope it works itself out, but someone capable of putting the collective first, whilst also promoting that progressive football, not being afraid to play on the front foot. Certainly with players coming through like Mainoo, Foden, Palmer, Saka, it's just too important to faff about with it like the FA have done in the last decades. My opinion of course, but I can't remember when England had a manager that made me think it was the right fit. Maybe Hoddle was OK, but he was pretty savage too, the way he tore into Becks for instance. At least he was progressive in his vision.

Last edited:
I'd consider Poch, you'd want someone who has Premier League knowledge and who is at least competent. Potter is still an unknown in relative terms. Someone like Howe might work wonders too if you're looking for home grown.

I'd like to see a non English manager & go for a real big name.

I know they have jobs but for example - someone like Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel etc.

I have no idea why the FA never try for these type of managers. Is it because they cant afford their wages?

If its British i'd order
  1. Eddie Howe
  2. Potter
  3. Brendan Rodgers
  4. David Moyes

Southgate should continue, not because I think he's good, but because there's a non zero probability of him becoming United's manager if he leaves the England job and I'm not comfortable with that.

Otherwise, I can see Potter doing good in the England job IMHO.

I reckon it's going to be Potter and I think he knows he has a very good chance at getting the job hence why he turned a few teams down this summer.

I would try to get Poch.

Potter is fine.
He probably knows hel get it.

LuckyScout78, He's never wrong. The press conferences and bemused looks on players faces as he communicates his ideas from the touchline would be world class.

Potter would be such a meh choice. Hasn't won anything in his career and his Brighton weren't particularly free flowing.

I know they have jobs but for example - someone like Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel etc.

I have no idea why the FA never try for these type of managers. Is it because they cant afford their wages?

If its British i'd order
  1. Eddie Howe
  2. Potter
  3. Brendan Rodgers
  4. David Moyes
Wages is definitely a big factor. International football means less work, but also less pay for managers, which is why you often see managers in it who are approaching the end of the careers, to slowly phase out of professional football. It's generally rare to see a top manager in his prime to make this step back (Nagelsmann currently being a big exception).

Another problem is that the real big names are usually that because of their detailed work with their teams, but they don't have the time to do that for a national team, so they need entirely different skill sets than at their club (again following Nagelsmann's interviews about this gives a great insight, as he openly talks about these challenges). So it's also possible that great club managers are cautious to damage their club reputation by failing at this different job (Flick's disasterclass of managing Germany should be a warning, but on the other hand he got the Barca job... who knows).

Didn't the FA say that had a succession plan?

I think they'll promote Lee Carsley

Potter, Poch or Tuchel.

I'd be happy with any of these. Carsley being promoted could be okay as he's done well for the U21s and won the most recent U21 tournament.

It will be Potter I imagine, I'm not totally gutted but also not hugely excited. He will improve England on the ball, will potentially lose some of the man management.

Assuming it’s limited to an England man, Potter. I really can’t see Klopp wanting this job.

If its British i'd order
  1. Eddie Howe
  2. Potter
  3. Brendan Rodgers
  4. David Moyes

Sven was a very big name in World Football when appointed, won Serie A the previous season. Capello aswell although he was past his best as a a coach but England had just had McClaren so needs must.

I think it will be Potter and he'll coach a better style of play. However you worry about him being in the tournament spotlight as could see the pressure really got to him at Chelsea once they didn't win for 4-5 games.

Harsh.

100% Potter for me, would be a good choice.

But as an England supporter you want a good choice or someone who can play good football and/or has a track record of winning? Potter is in a long series of decent but middling English managers who you can bet will come up short.

I think Klopp should be the #1 priority. If not him, then Jose, if you don't mind shithousing your way to one of the two big prizes. If those two are a no, then Eddie Howe looks a slightly better choice than Potter. Although, I am not sure if he'll be able to win a trophy. The competition will get tougher as some of the traditional football giants seems to have regrouped after a period of lull. Spain, Germany, France, Portugal - will all be stronger the next time around. The two South American teams will be there and thereabouts. England will be strong too as their top players besides Kane are all at a good age. However, they need a top manager to get the best out of them. England needs to drop this pity underdog mentality and assert themselves with the talent they have at their disposal.

I'd push for Klopp if he wanted to, otherwise its someone like Potter.

Klopp would be the choices of all choices. Can't see it, think it'll be Potter, who doesn't inspire me, but I think he's got more about him than Southgate tactically.

Potter or Carsley are the only sensible choices and I would go for the latter as there is probably going to be a lot of transitioning to those who have been in the U-21 set up for a while after this tournament, it needs a refresh. Howe would be a disaster.

I would love it to be Pep or Klopp but that's never gonna happen. Would be happy with either Potter or Howe tbh. We're not exactly spoiled for choice.

I am surprised at how little Carsley has been mentioned in the media though. Won the U-21 Euros last year and knows a lot of the players. Can't say I know that much about his style of play but it would make sense.