Which player do you think will surprise everyone this season?

Mount will be quite important. I expect Mainoo to have some difficult times this season. I wouldn't want to put too much on his shoulders and I think he'll need some periods on the bench so he doesn't get burnt out. Mount would be a good alternative, let's just hope he's not injured when his chance comes!

The one thing Antony really has going for him is his fighting attitude. Let's see if he can spur himself onto some better performances. There's some talent in there, but he has a huge amount of improvement to find.

The votes for Mount feel a bit odd considering he'll have to displace Bruno to actually get a run of games in his best position, which isn't happening. And if ETH tries to bring back to Mount-Bruno midfield combo then it will all end in tears.

Amad is the obvious shout, but do I even trust ETH to give him the starts he deserves? On the evidence of last season, no. But I do think if he was given a starting place in the team he has the potential to be one of our best players.

Judging by this thread, Mount. Since everyone expects him to have a good season by the looks of it and he's going to be totally ineffectual again.

Not going to include new signings so Amad and Rasmus. Taking the pressure off Hojlund by having a new player to rotate him with might just get him firing consistently.

Amad won't be a surprise as it's always been obvious how talented he is. The only question is will he get the opportunities he deserves here.

Zirkzee in a negative way. I expect it to be a Obertan-level out of his depth thing.

Other than that, I have hopes that Garnacho will start showing glimpses of being a world class player in the making.

It’s hard to say one player but I think there are a few that I am tentatively hopeful for this season:

Return to form:

Rashford - a summer of rest, a more stable environment, has a lot to prove and at his age needs to now consistently perform for the team (as opposed to individually stacking up numbers), month on month, season on season.

Casemiro - hugely experienced, has a reputation for superb conditioning. Brings a profile of player we don’t have in anyone else. Needs to be used properly as a DM, not as a box to box midfielder without adequate team structure. A higher line a should see him return to his best.

Mount - a vastly experienced and underrated player who is still only 25. Has an amazing engine and technical skills to match. Will start with a support role off the bench but has the quality to force himself into the starting xi if he stays injury free.

Onana - has weathered the storm of a difficult first campaign. The only way is up. With Martinez and Shaw fit, and Yoro coming in, has the players in front of him to help his build up game truly shine. Potential link up with Zirkzee is exciting.

Sancho - the big question mark. Is talented but doesn’t have the weapons that many thought he did prior to signing. Can be a tidy and fluid player that can help knit the attack together if he gets his head down and works hard.

Antony - has crumbled under the pressure of the huge fee and off the field distractions. After two years he should have acclimated to life in Manchester and with expectations of his performance at an all time low, can perhaps start to play without the pressure of previous seasons. Has the fundamentals to be a good, if not great player. Fee has to be forgotten. A player who I could see finding his groove in a different position, as he has often looked like a midfielder playing on the wing to me. Has standout qualities in his work rate and resistance to the press.

Development or Breakout seasons:

Amad Diallo - looks a star in the making. This is his season to shine and to make the starting berth his own. He has everything needed to succeed at the highest levels, having significantly added strength and mass to his tiny frame. If he gets the minutes, he has to take his chance. If he does, I think he will be difficult to dislodge from the starting xi.

Garnacho - had a huge breakout season last year and will likely find it harder going this year as opponents learn his game. Will need patience and good coaching to continue his upward trajectory. Is already a weapon with a claim to be in the best xi come first game of the season, but this is a season where he needs to significantly improve his dribbling and finishing. Should be looked at less in terms of statistical goal involvements this season, and more in terms of how well he has developed and refined his game.

Mainoo - a class act through and through. Will need more rotation and support than last season, and for the coaching staff to be patient through potential second season syndrome. Will be at the heart of our midfield for the next 10-15 years if well managed.

Martinez - In many ways the heartbeat of the team because of (a) his passing between the lines, and (b) the power of his personality and presence. Needs to stay injury free for the season and be the defensive leader the team needs.

Hojlund - finally has a player to share the forward rotation with. Feel he is two seasons away from really honing his craft and understanding how to best play the line leading role; nevertheless, expecting to see less of the raw, unrefined product we saw last season, and more of the glimpses of the ruthless finisher and well rounded hold up play we saw in flashes last season. Needs to get in the habit of scoring regularly so it feels like second nature. Feels like with more support, better service, and better management of his minutes, there could be a true “he’s arrived” revelation this campaign.

Dalot - now 25 years old, and has racked up a lot of experience and minutes in the PL. Has all the tools to be a leading PL fullback and will be looking to build on an excellent campaign last season. Really looking for him to emerge this season as a nailed on starter and a top 5 to 10 RB in the world.

I will reserve my commentary on the new signings. I think they’ll need at least a season before any sort of rational analysis can take place. All I can say is that I like their profile, they are of huge potential, but will both require patience.

Assuming he isn't sold, Casemiro will look a lot better again if our defence actually holds a high line this season, and the team is generally more compact.

I feel like Antony's head was fried by the allegations and drama around him at the start of last year. While he'll never be an 80m player, but I think he'll be a decent contributor and a lot better than last season.
I think Casemiro is far more responsible for the defence looking dreadful than the defence is for making him look inept.

Mount is a quality player and one that’s often forgotten or written off because of the season he had. A fit Mount will make a lot of people change their opinion on him as a signing

Zirkzee in a negative way. I expect it to be a Obertan-level out of his depth thing.

Other than that, I have hopes that Garnacho will start showing glimpses of being a world class player in the making.
ZZ has too much quality for that. Of course some might not recognize what type of player he is and criticize him if he doesn‘t score 20+ goals.

ETH, he played the owners brilliantly this summer already.

On the pitch I am going for McTom or TheFridge, either will become a proper leader.

Most of them can "surprise" as around half the squad is much better than what the general consensus has been about them for almost a year now. I'm backing Mount, Rashford, and Hojlund to have good seasons if the tactical system will be a functional one this time around.

Amad. If he gets his chance to play he could well cement that RW position his own. It is a make or break season for him.
Why would Amad be a surprise? He is clearly quality and if Erik gives him chances, all United fans expect Amad to shine. It's not a surprise if we expect him to do great. Same for Hojlund.

I don't think Rashford or Sancho will do well, so they would be a surprise, but extremely unlikely.

Hoping Mount can surprise us, not sure in what position, however since #10 seems to be his best position and Bruno plays every single game of the season in that position. Mount also shouldn't play #8, because he was terrible as #8, last season, and we have an absolute genius in Mainoo for #8. So unless we play Mount on the wing (haha), not sure where can he even shine

I think Mount will surprise everyone. Looks really sharp so far in pre season. I also think Yoro will surprise a few people, I know we all can see a promising player but I think he’ll show us that he’s a top player at such a young age.

Amad. If he gets his chance to play he could well cement that RW position his own. It is a make or break season for him.
Going of today performance he’s made a strong showing to claim the RW spot. I like that he’s unselfish aswell. He should have had an assist with that cut back to Wheatley

Surprise United supporters: Mason Mount. This is an England international starter who's been completely written off due to injuries.

Surprise everyone else: Amad. I've been fully on the Amad hypetrain since his Sunderland loan and been so annoyed he hasn't got a real chance here.

Idk I think most people here really rate Amad so it won't be a surprise if he's good.

It would follow the composition of Rashford's career if he was good this season but I think most have seen enough of him to get that.

Mount maybe if he stays fit, seems the player on our squad who a lot don't rate but is actually a fantastic footballer. Won't start but as long as he stays fit some will have to eat some words.

If he stays Casemiro might excel some of what has been said about him here quite a bit.

Since everyone is going for the obvious ones, like Amad and Mount, I'm going with some dark horses: Toby Collyer and Joe Hugill.

As long as one or both stay, I think they will surprise a lot of people. For me Joe Hugill has all the necessary atributes of a classic CF, and his acceleration and sense for goal was on show today.

Toby has something about him that can't be explained in stats, but it's more to do with how he glides on the pitch, closes the passing lanes and shields the back 4, a proper DM/No.6 in the Carrick mould with more pace.

I'm very positive about how Mount and Casemiro have started preseason with their attitude and performances.

Amad had a great 1st half and played like something's clicked for him mentally. Certainly looks stronger too.

I really hope Mount. If he gets playing minutes, Amad may surprise as well.

Amad 100% he has the quality to do it, if given enough chances in sure he'll perform and become a starter.

Amad will be our best winger this season.

Mount might do well, but I'm not sure how much he will play and how much it will affect his form, when Bruno always plays the full 90 minutes.

Dalot if he sticks with being a RB instead of cover as LB, will only improve.

In surprise sense I'm thinking players getting to levels we haven't seen yet from them. I'm sadly thinking Rashford and Sancho will not surprise. Both lacking the right mentality. Amad looks like he will kick on. He should get ample opportunities.

I think Mount will surprise everyone. Looks really sharp so far in pre season. I also think Yoro will surprise a few people, I know we all can see a promising player but I think he’ll show us that he’s a top player at such a young age.
Hard to call him a promising player and someone that will surprise us.

He was in the French league team of the year and nominated for young player of the year. He was a starter for Lille who finished 6th.

I think he will do well but it's hard for someone this good to really surprise.

Hard to call him a promising player and someone that will surprise us.

He was in the French league team of the year and nominated for young player of the year. He was a starter for Lille who finished 6th.

I think he will do well but it's hard for someone this good to really surprise.
Sounds like he might surprise some Everton fans.

Highly unlikely imo
Not seeing Casemiro getting back to his best either. Just like Rashford with his non selection he's had the summer off. Both players have come back looking a bit lethargic when they should be motivated to make a statement.

All of the attackers (excluding Bruno tbf) put up such bad numbers last season they really don't need to improve that much to surprise the fans.

If Amad plays on the opening day he might beat his tally for the entire of last season in 90 minutes.

United League 23/24 G/A
Bruno 10G 8A
Hojlund 10G 2A
Garnacho 7G 4A
Rashford 7G 2A
Antony 1G 1A
Amad 1G 1A
That really puts things into perspective. We were dreadful in terms of attacking output last year. We will do better this year but how much better is the question