Music Where has all the music gone?

without seeing the video, there is no "truth to why modern music sucks". People say this every year. Since the my dads time in the 70s people would complain about modern pop music.

without seeing the video, there is no "truth to why modern music sucks". People say this every year. Since the my dads time in the 70s people would complain about modern pop music.

There's some good points in the first few minutes where there's collegiate and scientific research into the sound and complexity of the arrangements in pop music from the 60s until today and found that the arrangements became more simplistic over time.

Also, he points out that there's good reason why many pop artists and their songs have very similar arrangements over the last few decades. He mentions that Max Martin, a guy you might not be familiar with, is responsible for writing a good portion of material for most artists that you've head in the past few decades, and therefore it explains the lack of originality.

Some good stuff in there. You might not agree with every point, however, some things are backed up well.

There's some good points in the first few minutes where there's collegiate and scientific research into the sound and complexity of the arrangements in pop music from the 60s until today and found that the arrangements became more simplistic over time.

Also, he points out that there's good reason why many pop artists and their songs have very similar arrangements over the last few decades. He mentions that Max Martin, a guy you might not be familiar with, is responsible for writing a good portion of material for most artists that you've head in the past few decades, and therefore it explains the lack of originality.

Some good stuff in there. You might not agree with every point, however, some things are backed up well.

I dont know. This is my opinion only but these backed up facts are often just skewed stats to fit the narrative.

The best pop songs of 60s were also very simple as well as complex. Simplicity isnt bad anyway.

I just think it's always people who grew with different style of music that find modern music stale. Again, it's all opinions!

I dont know. This is my opinion only but these backed up facts are often just skewed stats to fit the narrative.

The best pop songs of 60s were also very simple as well as complex. Simplicity isnt bad anyway.

I just think it's always people who grew with different style of music that find modern music stale. Again, it's all opinions!

Do you think it's just that we've reached a point where it's difficult to be creative anymore? Was thinking about this the other day. In the 50's, 60's and 70's there was still a lot of discovering to do in terms of musical arrangement and experimentation with instruments and sounds, but perhaps we've just reached a point in which everything that there is to be done in music has been done, and even new sub-genres are just subtle niches as opposed to sonically different sounds.

It's still out there, just the scene is flooded now, it's harder to find the gems. Even the shite makes money now so they stick around in the market longer, whereas before, gash bands / singers would disappear fairly quickly and leave the best getting all the exposure, now we're stuck with cardi b and the like getting exposure due to non singing stuff.

Music used to be about music, today it's about image and how much money can be made. People used to make music because they loved music and enjoyed it. These days they're making it for the money and fame. Plus autotune, so anyone can do it.

Do you think it's just that we've reached a point where it's difficult to be creative anymore? Was thinking about this the other day. In the 50's, 60's and 70's there was still a lot of discovering to do in terms of musical arrangement and experimentation with instruments and sounds, but perhaps we've just reached a point in which everything that there is to be done in music has been done, and even new sub-genres are just subtle niches as opposed to sonically different sounds.

No I dont think that's the case because like I said even in the 60s we had started using many repeated patterns but theres nothing wrong with that I think we've done that for centuries.

Music evolves with time and this time is no different than others. Its it's own sound. People love to say how everything on radio is just computerized garbage now but if you turn on the radio in the 90s (my personal favorite era of music) youd still find "garbage" and repetition.

People generally like uncomplicated melodic music, it seems to me that the pop industry has realised that formula is best and runs with with it.

There's plenty of complex modern music about anyway, its just not mainstream. In fact, I'd say musical diversity is at its zenith currently. Unquestionably and obviously, accessibility to all that music is infinitely greater than at anytime in history too.