Music Where has all the music gone?

And I agree with that, but being culturally important doesn't necessarily make it the better album.

I would argue all day about Think Tank being the better album musically (whatever the feck that means) whilst still holding a nostalgic love for DM.

I take it you have heard Think Tank Rood?

What's DM? Blur are a groovy little band.

Jonno's point is that modern life is rubbish then?

What's DM? Blur are a groovy little band.

They are indeed, went to see them on their Think Tank tour at the Manc Apollo, I still rate it as one of my top 5 favorite gigs attended, they were fecking awesome as were the crowd, we both fed of each other.

Love nights like that.

Thanks, WP. Good record, that one, but not as good as WTSMG.

Disagree with this, I think they peaked with DM personally, still decent album though.

They are indeed, went to see them on their Think Tank tour at the Manc Apollo, I still rate it as one of my top 5 favorite gigs attended, they were fecking awesome as were the crowd, we both fed of each other.

Love nights like that.

lucky git.

I saw Blur at Reading festival on the Think Tank tour and was thoroughly impressed. And I was never really into britpop so they must have been decent. I've seen Oasis live a couple of times and they've always been underwhelming; he just can't sing and they are so bland.

I saw Blur at Reading festival on the Think Tank tour and was thoroughly impressed. And I was never really into britpop so they must have been decent. I've seen Oasis live a couple of times and they've always been underwhelming; he just can't sing and they are so bland.

They don't interact with the crowd at all. "This is a song for you, or whatever." is pretty much all you're going to get from them.

No, but standing and scowling whilst looking like a prat isn't a stage presence. Just give it something, a little excitement, anything so the audience isn't bored off their tits.

Even the so called 'misserable' Thom Yorke interacts with the crowd.

No, but standing and scowling whilst looking like a prat isn't a stage presence. Just give it something, a little excitement, anything so the audience isn't bored off their tits.
Every Oasis concert I attended, the crowd were thriving mate, I dont know about you but you were clearly in the minority.
Even the so called 'misserable' Thom Yorke interacts with the crowd.
What did he do, swap orange hair dye tips and nominate convenient suicide methods?

Oh come on Nome, dont go crying. You insulted my idol, Liam first, it really hurt me too

:lol:

I ain't crying, just too stoned for what is essentially a pointless side argument to the main debate.

There's no debate. It's just Johnno whinging about there not being enough Oasis tribute acts nowadays.

still waiting for Mockney to get back to me

Oh really?...Everyone else seemed to be doing it for me so I didn't see the point, but fine....It was incredibly hard to read by the way John....Basically you don't have a point. You waft on about how amazing Oasis were but when you have to take in someone elses view point on another band, or something outside of your cultural view you react like this...

fecking hell Mocko, you argumentative twat!

Did Damon Albarn really write an opera? Shows what a sad twat he really is

Gorillaz is a bag of shite with their cartoons and no-frills rap segments, even getting the legendary Shaun William Ryder on Dare was lost on me; Albarn with his ear-ring and his top Cockney accent, what a melon.

...and the other cnut whose name escapes

...with their quirky little framed glasses and skinny arms, floppy fringes and androgynous guitar wanking. Sorry fella, but you can stick that gay shite up your hoop, I'd rather watch the Village People than Blur - at least the majority of them were butch

Radiohead? Bollocks, whiny, dreary, suicide tunes with a shit frontman who dyes his head orange and is called Thom with an unneccessary H. Creep is the highlight but that was 1993 and when it was still controversial for white people to say 'feck' in a song.

....but comparing them to Nirvana who had about two songs of note and are only remembered for the dickhead blowing his head off than for anything else other than the originality of their appearance with their straight greasy hair, t-shirts over jumpers and facial hair as opposed to the curly-boffed, leather pant wearing Bon Jovi clones that swarmed rock in the 1980s.

Coldplay, poster boys for the Southern poofs out there.

fecking hell, do you want every band to do a Bono or his little apprentice Chris Martin for 30mins between songs about starving Ethiopians with AIDs or how George Bush is a terrorist?

What did he do, swap orange hair dye tips and nominate convenient suicide methods?

Basically....Like a twat.

Now I realize it's all in jehst mate, but it still isn't an argument. Someone else says

"well Johnno, here are other bands who were better than Oasis, and here's why"

..and you just reply "fecking cnuty wank stained jezzabelle cnut flap twat monkey cocks they were"

Genius! that really is a well thought out and reasonable argument for why Oasis are so much better than them...It shows you don't have a point. It's the first refuge of someone lost in their own argument...to just lash out. You're good at talking up Oasis, but you just don't even bother talking about other bands, you just insult them...probably because you don't accept the merits of things you don't like

And since you didn't respond to certain parts of my diatribe (like why you failed to recognize the New Romantics cultural impact for example) I'll cherry pick what to reply to from yours...which wasn't that hard actually as you rambled randomly off topic several times anyway

And to say only Noel had any talent is plain daft, Liam was a massive presence as a frontman, like him or loathe him (for me, it was a bit of both), he was the life and soul of the band and his vocal talents were fairly unique

Shitting on your granny is unique, it doesn't make it cool or good. Your argument for Oasis being a bigger and better band and a greater influence than anyone since falls down at this because hardly any top bands now-a-days imitate Liams style of singing (which was basically, not being able to sing)..In fact the Zeitgeist has turned away from it and embraced the Muses of this world who can, all be it rather OTT, sing. Same is true in mainstream music with the popularity of X Factor winners and the Amy Winehouse and Adele's dominating the charts. People like it when people can sing...Which sort of shows, in evolutionary terms, that Liam was shit, and not all that significant....and as for being a great front man, well meh, sort of, still light years out of Jaggers league....but anyone who saw him and thought he was shit is obviously a devious lying southern poof who doesn't understand how earth shatteringly important it was to be Johnno in 1997

The whole reason I wanted you to reply to the New Romantic thing in particular is because it shows that something that captures a moment or influences the style of the time, isn't always great by that sheer definition...Sometimes it fecking crap and the test of it is if it's carried through to later generations. Oasis' style in both fashion and song writing hasn't been carried on, it's been disregarded for the most part and left in the cultural dust bin of history.

Kasabian's front man does imitate Gallagher....but their music sytle is actually very different. Dependant on riffs and not chords. And now they've even evolved away from their fashion beginings and are dressing and presenting themselves differently.

something you've even mimicked yourself with the 'sheeite' comment

Yes I did it on purpose, to take the piss....Just because it's in the cultural lexicon doesn't make it good. Heil Hitler is in the cultural lexicon.

And this is getting interesting because you claim I have naivety when it comes to the musical history of The Beatles. Now you do know the Beatles had some songs out BEFORE Sgt Pepper, don't you? Because lyrics such as 'Love, love me do, you know I love you', 'I wanna hold your haaaaaaand, I wanna hold your hand', 'She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah' in my view are not the pinnacle of stretching lyrics to the full extent of the English language, yet these songs were simple, brilliant and highly effective.

Yes. I didn't claim their early work was seminal. My point was that everyone wrote songs about love in those days (hence why I talked about the machinations of 60s pop) and that when The Beatles broke away from that, it was a big deal.

Now obviously as time went on, the band's brilliance shone through their tight-held control that George Martin held over them and they were allowed to experiment with the Indian sitars, the odd-yet-brilliance of A Day in the Life and all the other amazing tunes on that album and beyond, yet if you ask me, for all the innovation and brilliance they brought, I do not prefer one particular 'genre' of the Beatles, I could sit and shuffle through my Beatles iPod playlist, and be content as it bounces from 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' to 'Dear Prudence' through to Lennon's 'Woman' and back, I do not segment them at all and whilst I have favourites, I do not say 'well, they were only good after 1966 or 1968', do I feck. Yet their simplicity, lyrically AND musically is not panned like Oasis's is

Not by you maybe, but it is by a lot of people. In fact their early stuff is not regarded as being nearly as seminal by the vast majority as their later stuff. Hence why Sgt Peppers is the album always regarded as the focal one when talking about The Beatles....Ask anyone their favorite Beatles album and how many say Please Please Me, or With The Beatles or even Help for that matter?...hardly any. They may have been popular in those days, but their real cultural significance and musical legacy happened after 66

That post 66 period is what changed The Beatles from the most popular band in the world to the most significant band in the world. Comparatively, Oasis never emerged from the early period. They never evolved the way The Beatles did and they never attempted to. The Beatles helped to change what it was acceptable for commercial songs to be written about....Oasis just benefited from it, and wrote waffle. The comparison is a ridiculous one.

....and feck me! You did a course on the Beatles? Jeez mate, I hope you didn't pay for it, what did you do, analyse what 'tangerine trees and marmalade skies' refers to? Mate, if you sit and watch VH1 or something, they usually have Beatles days on each night and they give you all the info you need. A course on the Beatles, fecking hell!

No I did a course on Music which included studying lyrics...a small part of that was analysing how the Beatles changed lyric writing....There oddly wasn't a bit on Oasis. Why's that Johnno?...and well done for again covering your lack of a point by simply being insulting and attempting to ridicule.;)

....but then Live Forever was released in the July or August and that completely blew everyone away, making the top three and pissed all over any of Blur's efforts.

It's a good song yes, but feck me John, it wasn't Mozarts Requiem. It didn't "blow everyone away"....your propensity to exaggerate to the upper limits is hilarious.

Who the feck have Radiohead influenced?

Everyone now....Which shows just how little you know, or care, about music outside of what you like.

Also you're completely willfull disregard of Radiohead (OK Computer has been voted the best album of the 90s in countless publications, online polls and even by musicians, odd you've never noticed it) and Nirvana (2 songs of note?...Nothing after Nevermind?...:lol:) Just shows how unwilling you are to even acknowledge let along begin to accept, anyone elses view point, even if they've lived it and you haven't.

And saying "well I met loads of people at gigs in Manchester or at the footy who weren't manc and loved Oasis" doesn't really mean diddly squat, as that is still in YOUR arena of cultural likiness.. They liked what you like, they came to you, so to speak...I'm not saying they weren't big John, but they weren't nearly as big as you think, as the vast majority of replies in this thread show (at least 2 people have outright told you they weren't affected by Oasis or saw their influence where they were, to which you just reply "feck off I met some people who were so there cockface!!")...it doesn't account for everyone, just the people you met, which, in the entire population of the UK, is still a tiny amount.

You just need to accept John, that you aren't the center of the known universe. :smirk:

^ I rate this post.

Which sort of shows, in evolutionary terms, that Liam was shit, and not all that significant....and as for being a great front man, well meh, sort of, still light years out of Jaggers league....but anyone who saw him and thought he was shit is obviously a devious lying southern poof who doesn't understand how earth shatteringly important it was to be Johnno in 1997

^ I rate this post.

Which sort of shows, in evolutionary terms, that Liam was shit, and not all that significant....and as for being a great front man, well meh, sort of, still light years out of Jaggers league....but anyone who saw him and thought he was shit is obviously a devious lying southern poof who doesn't understand how earth shatteringly important it was to be Johnno in 1997

You probably like the Hilltop Hoods, you miff

You think Oasis are the genius Johnno, you don't get to take the piss

You think Oasis are the genius Johnno, you don't get to take the piss

Where, oh where, have I proclaimed them genius, my Mexican friend?
I have said they were a top band, I have also said I realsie they're not as good as they were and some songs don't sound too good these days and Liam is a dick, what I have also said is they made a massive cultural impact on the youth of Britain in the 90s, but you and your bumchums have started chatting shite and got it in your heads Radiohead are a mint group.
Meet me on Sydney Road in Brunswick by the fish and chip shop there, I'm gonna stick my dick in your ear and shag some sense into you....

And I agree with that, but being culturally important doesn't necessarily make it the better album.

I would argue all day about Think Tank being the better album musically (whatever the feck that means) whilst still holding a nostalgic love for DM.

I take it you have heard Think Tank Rood?

Yes Ive heard it - cant say it ever grabbed me but perhaps I never gave it enough of a chance to I might revisit it due to your high praise - but your musical rep is on line here so you better not be diappointing me!

I rate it very highly Rood, it's one of those that you pull out every now and again and are reminded of how fecking good it is each time. I think alot of people are put off by the lack of Coxon tbh, but I would say this is their strongest album by a mile so far and leaves me slightly concerned about what direction they will take on their next one with him back on board.

Damon Alburn is a talented feck, big fan of Gorillaz too.

I have said they were a top band, I have also said I realsie they're not as good as they were and some songs don't sound too good these days and Liam is a dick

Well we're getting somewhere then. :smirk:

what I have also said is they made a massive cultural impact on the youth of Britain in the 90s

Thing is, I don't disagree with that. I just disagree that they had the level of influence and cultural significance you think they did. That's all. Your original post was just one labelling every band since Oasis shit...and so everyone replied with what utter nonsense that was....That's all really John. I don't actually hate Oasis or deny their importance at all. They were a big deal at the time. Just not the deal.

but you and your bumchums have started chatting shite and got it in your heads Radiohead are a mint group.

...but you can't stop yourself. Radiohead are a mint group. They've had far more influence in the music world than Oasis have, if not in the fashion, culture world. Even if you hate them, you sort of have to accept that. I don't like any number of things that I realize are important or influential.

I still love you by the way John :D

I don't think many who know me will be too surprised to here me say that in my opinion, Radiohead are THE most important band of our generation, and will be remembered in decades to come, up there with the likes of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc, and also being discovered by future generations to come, influencing all number bands in the process.

Oasis will not be any where near that group in terms of importance to music, and neither will Blur come to mention it, seeing as they have been discussed in this thread quite a bit.

Oasis

First album was good, mind.

Their significance ended upon the release of their third album.

Everyone knows that.

Nah, no no no! I asked you first, I keep hearing Radiohead are influential but I would like to hear who. And I am including culture also here, I cannot recall many kids back in the 90s jibbing about dyeing their hair orange and wearing clothes from Oxfam and adding an uneccessary H to their names. "Hi, I'm Jhohnno"....
If you would like to know who I believe Oasis influenced, then let's have it; Coldplay, poster boys for the Southern poofs out there. Chris Martin said specifically in an article he was on his grandparents farm in Zimbabwe or somewhere when he heard Definitely Maybe on cassette and he said it changed his life. There's one, even though I wish he had bought Barbie Girl by Aqua first....
Look at The Charlatans lead singer, Tim Burgess. They were an established band and he was copying Ian Brown for years, then when Liam came along, there was Tim Burgess, parka clad and arms folded behind his back, leaning into the microphone. It was ridiculous, but there's another...
Directly? Kasabian.
Keane.
The Artic Monkeys.
Starsailor.
The Kaizer Chiefs.
The Music.
The Vortex...and a million other bands you may never have heard of, and neither have I.

Weird that, I hear half a dozen bands in the Arctics, but never Oasis.

what annoys me at the moment is how little choice there is on the radios at the moment. it seems that most of the main radio stations have ~10 songs that comprise 90% of their playlist, with the other 10% being a selection from everything else.

heartbreaker
fight for this love
russian roulette
bad boys
havent met you yet
that new lily allen song with a chorus melody completely ripped off from a take that song which is isnt even that old
cry me out
the X factor finalists (ugh)
tonight is gonna be a good night
everybody in love

thats pretty much it, isnt it?

That's why you should listen to pirate radio.

Arrrrr!

Any Mancs remember Stu Allen on Key 103 in the mid-Nineties, all the lads at school raved about him with his dance mixes and everything was introduced as 'a very, very large tune indeed'....