What to do with Hannibal? (revisited)

Unfortunately whether it’s the clubs fault or Hannibal’s the reality is he hasn’t developed and just gets loaned out every year so as he’s not going to play its best we simply sell him for as much as we can and put a sell on fee in there too, we’ve been so bad in the market for years that we’re going to have to work like that for a little while until we get ourselves working properly again.

Whoever made the decision to send him to Sevilla was out of order (maybe him?). He would have played more here last season.

Hes not good enough. Simple as that. Transfer list him, but we wont get £10 mill for him, so just accept whatevers offered. If its £6 mill for example its £6 mill plus wages towards another player.

Yeah he needs to be moved on. He might do well at the right club but he's never going to be a regular starter at a big club as an attacking player who almost never scores or assists a goal.

Needs to be loaned till he generates some value. Chelsea have done this with many of their lot and maybe he could follow our very own Andreas Pereira type trajectory. Right now his potential buyers wouldn’t even know where to play him.

Can we stop loaning players to Spain maybe ? I’d be looking at any C/ship but ultimately he’s never going to make it here

When he arrived at the club he was known as highly technical and creative - he looked a real talent. Opponents targeted him non-stop with dirty, cynical play and he was forced to “man up” and become something he wasn’t on a trajectory to be. He not only transformed in terms of toughness, but it became something that preceded him. He became over zealous, easily distracted and put off his game, like preoccupied with battling and scrapping, and gradually his skills started to be compromised because he was so far tilted with the physical aspect and just scrapping and proving his machismo that I personally think it consumed him and indelibly changed his career path.

The player we see in the adult game running around and being a nuisance is a 180 of the player who initially got here who was silky, composed and had a game supposed around his ability, not his physicality or gameness to scrap.

I don’t think Hannibal really has an identity anymore, tbh. This Scrappy Doo stuff is detrimental and he’s clearly not composed enough to do it, but he’s boxed himself in and the player he was barely gets a look in, which is a real shame. So when you ask if it’s not applying, I’d say he doesn’t really know how to apply himself as this player, isn’t the guy a lot of us were initially impressed by when he came to the club.

I’ll hazard a guess, he’ll never be the player he was again - fundamentally, that touch of class and composure he used to have is rarely seen and most of his game looks forced and hurried, which is why it’s hard to get a real impression of what he is or what he’s about.

For me, there’s zero chance of him making at United, but his challenge at the moment would be to be a pro who is top league worthy, and see what he can go on to do from there. With his temperament, that’s far from assured.
Very good post. I've been hugely frustrated by his lack of progress and development since he came as I initially thought this lad was a cert to make it and on par with Amad.

However I could not figure out what where or how he/the club were going wrong but I think you are spot on in your assessment.

Whoever made the decision to send him to Sevilla was out of order (maybe him?). He would have played more here last season.
I think if I remember correctly it was himself who wanted Sevilla, unfortunately for him he didn't realize the problems they had in the backroom

If Sander Berge is an option then i'd much rather we keep him and play him rather than sign more deadwood

If Sander Berge is an option then i'd much rather we keep him and play him rather than sign more deadwood
You'd but the manager plays him in attacking positions or as a false 9 in the preseason. I don't think he sees him as good enough to play in the midfield.

Not a shock but looks like he's been left out of the Community Shield squad. Have to think he'll move before the end of the window.

A bit surprised, our options for the cm positions are pretty dire.

They are but we sent him out on loan last season despite our midfield quality and the injuries it looked like the manager doesnt rate him or see him as a near future player.

I think one of his problems is that he's been used all over the place since he came here. He played CM. He played as a type of striker. He played on the left too. I think if you're going to make it as a passing and creative attacking CM at the club you need to be playing that position weekly to build up experience and good midfield habits and he hasnt done that. He's been moved all over the place in the youth setup and to this point doesnt really stand out at anything other than running when used in the first team. He did score a very good goal last season before his loan. So maybe you could add that since he barely played after that for us to know whether he had another goal or two in him. Running and a decent long shot.

As I've said before I'd be more than happy to see him get some games to show whether he does still have his passing, ability to beat a player and win a freekick and can get us the occasional goal on top of the leg work running and pressing for the team. But ETH clearly likes McTominay, Mount and Collyer for his runners so hes the one left out. At 21 he still has time but next season and the seasons going forward he's going to need to leave the club if hes still behind those players and perhaps more if we sign anyone. And while I did rate him and wouldnt be that surprised if he did well given a bunch of games to actually play for us, I think we have bigger talents coming through that I'd be more concerned with us not giving chances than him. So he seems low down the first team pecking order currently and may be overtaken in the pecking order by young players in the next 18 months also.

It has been evident for a while that Erik has a very low opinion of Hannibal so not really a surprise in that context. We can hope that this indicates a transfer is on the horizon and we are wrapping him in cotton wool until the deal is done.
Thats true, but it is probably part of the thing that surprises me. He does not rate Hannibal as a cm, at all. And that should be fair enough since he doesn`t seem like a worldbeater in the making. But the problem is, our other options are not worldbeaters either, not even close.
Erik has out of the blue adopted Toby Collyer for some reason. Looks decent but very restricted and not sure he offers anything that Hannibal could not do or be coached to do. Casemiro is absolutely clueless in there despite all his experience. And his legs have retired already. Eriksen should not even be considered to play further back than attacking mid. Scott is perhaps a tad underated on here but all in all still very average. If Hannibal has no chance against this lot i`m not sure what to say. I seriously doubt Eriks eye for a talent but we have some experienced football people above him now that can help make the right decisions, so i assume they don`t like him much either then.

Hannibal + £50m for Wharton feels like a good deal for everyone. I reckon he'd slot into that team nicely

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, apparently Rangers and Celtic are after him latest media I read on news now. Let’s hope it’s true

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, apparently Rangers and Celtic are after him latest media I read on news now. Let’s hope it’s true
I hope so, he will win me a lot of money for bookings up there.

Hannibal will be a top top player in 4-5 y s but we don’t have to time to develop him. He’s indefatigable as a midfielder, tenacious and intelligent. I feel he’s misprofiled and should be a deep lying midfielder. He needs to play week in week out though.

Hannibal will be a top top player in 4-5 y s but we don’t have to time to develop him. He’s indefatigable as a midfielder, tenacious and intelligent. I feel he’s misprofiled and should be a deep lying midfielder. He needs to play week in week out though.

No, he won't be. We would have seen it by now. Like we have with Mainoo, who looks like he could be a "top top player"

Sell him.

Sending him to Birmingham was a bad decision. A scrappy footballing side with average players. We should have sent him somewhere in the Championship or Ligue 1 that played through the midfield, where he would have had more touches on the ball. Not being careful about who we sent him to potentially cost us millions — I believe he had the talent to storm it in the right team and to come back and be a decent player for us.

Reactions: Fortitude
He'll end up back in France playing for a Europa league chasing side. We could do alot worse than offer him in part exchange for Bradley Locko. Him and about 5 or 7mil should cover it.
Would be too perfect to be true

I belive Hannibal wpuld have had better progression in championship tgan in Sevilla. I'll give him another year but this time in England and in a club he'll play every week and build muscles and head! I like the boy, and wish him the best!

I belive Hannibal wpuld have had better progression in championship tgan in Sevilla. I'll give him another year but this time in England and in a club he'll play every week and build muscles and head! I like the boy, and wish him the best!
He's already played for Birmingham when they were in the Championship and he was average at best, Sevilla is a massive step up and he failed. He's a limited player and people only want him because he's from the academy and a passion merchant.

He's already played for Birmingham when they were in the Championship and he was average at best, Sevilla is a massive step up and he failed. He's a limited player and people only want him because he's from the academy and a passion merchant.
He wasn’t average, Birmingham fans loved him.

What to do with Hannibal? Sell. We have incredible talent coming through and Hannibal, much as I’d like to have seen him become special, ain’t it.

He wasn’t average, Birmingham fans loved him.
I’m guessing you only saw 3 people on twitter say that and have generalised the entire fanbase. But of course he’s a step up from what they normally have.

I’m guessing you only saw 3 people on twitter say that and have generalised the entire fanbase. But of course he’s a step up from what they normally have.
No, good effort though.

Shame we can’t deal with Nice as that might have been ideal for him. A move to France this summer would be where my money would be on.

Being linked to Celtic on a permanent deal if ORiley leaves.
Rangers on loan if no other options.