What to do with Hannibal? (revisited)

I said a few years ago it would be his temperament which prevents him having a career at United. I now think the best option for all parties is to sell with buy-back and sell on clauses included. He needs to play regular first team football for the good of his career.
Agree here if ETH has no plans to use him as a regular off the bench. He needs games to improve or he'll stagnate. But we need to protect our interest in case he clicks and a new coach wants him back.

Sell with a sell-on and/or buy-back. Two terribly chosen loans later, he has not kicked on and is at an age where he needs consistent game time if he's ever going to amount to anything.

He has 12 months left on his contract. Doubt he's going to renew if we try and loan him again. Nor do I expect him/us to pick an appropriate level loan again

I'm convinced he's a decent player but whether he'll show it in time before being moved on is another question.

If we played with a three in midfield he'd link up well with Mainoo as they're similar technical players. Given we play with a 10 though I'm not really sure where he fits.

I really thought he'd make it at the top level, but I just don't see it anymore. The progression hasn't really been there. Hopefully it goes well for him wherever he ends up.

Sell him if there is anybody willing to buy or release. He is not good enough for United

I've never seen a premier league player when I watch him. Maybe if he was a successful loan at Rangers he'll attract the interest of a big Scottish club ;)

Between Rangers and FC Copenhagen, I’d definitely choose Copenhagen (rumoured) if I was Hannibal. Bigger club in modern times and a better league these days.

I'm convinced he's a decent player but whether he'll show it in time before being moved on is another question.

If we played with a three in midfield he'd link up well with Mainoo as they're similar technical players. Given we play with a 10 though I'm not really sure where he fits.
Agree with this entirely.

I don’t know why I just have this suspicion that he’ll be kept around the first team this season. Maybe the influence of ineos not wanting him to go.

There’s def a player in there. Just needs to be unlocked.

Could be completely wrong of course!!

I'd like to think we could get £10million with big sell on and buy back clauses. That being said I'd sooner keep him than McT. If selling both gets us Ugarte then yes please.

I'd like to think we could get £10million with big sell on and buy back clauses. That being said I'd sooner keep him than McT. If selling both gets us Ugarte then yes please.
We won’t get £10m from the clubs he’s being linked with and honestly with how little he’s achieved in grown ups football I don’t think he’s going to gather much interest from clubs who can pay that.

I think that's asking a lot.

His time and chance to make it have come and gone. His biggest issues revolved around maturity, decision making, irrational actions and composure, and in the past two years, he has barely improved in any of those aspects.

I feel his technical ability doesn't get to show itself optimally because he is rarely able to mentally navigate himself through a proper half of football let alone a full game.

As is, he's a decent to good footballer, but for the club to put up with prolonged growing [up] pains, he would have to be absolutely exceptional, which he'll never be.

It will be interesting to see what kind of career he goes on to have. If he doesn't get his head screwed on, he could well become a journeyman, but if he does sort himself out, that's the career trajectory I am curious about - just to see how good the best version of him turns out to be.

I think he'd do well in Scotland, a year at Rangers could be the making of him.
It might suit him. The early move to Scotland helped the development of Gattuso and Arteta. Forced them to grow their game in new ways.

A few questioning his rashness and decision-making - that is the sort of stuff that gets exposed in the bubble of Scottish football and the pressure cooker of an Old Firm match.

Rangers won’t have the money to pay upward of £5m. A loan to buy similar to what we did in plucking Diomande from the Danish league is more likely. Rangers have shifted their transfer strategy towards younger players with potential for sell-on so in theory this could tick boxes for player and club.

It might suit him. The early move to Scotland helped the development of Gattuso and Arteta. Forced them to grow their game in new ways.

A few questioning his rashness and decision-making - that is the sort of stuff that gets exposed in the bubble of Scottish football and the pressure cooker of an Old Firm match.

Rangers won’t have the money to pay upward of £5m. A loan to buy similar to what we did in plucking Diomande from the Danish league is more likely. Rangers have shifted their transfer strategy towards younger players with potential for sell-on so in theory this could tick boxes for player and club.
Yeah, a Rangers move could go either way.

On the one hand, they'll have plenty of the ball against many of the domestic opponents, and hopefully he'll be allowed to play a CM role like a #8 and get on the ball much more and get to display his technical side.

However, playing for one of the (comparatively) huge Old Firm sides, he might well have to deal with the similar kind of dirty and cynical tactics of opponents that he did in our youth system. And hopefully he'll either be protected more by refs, or show that he's learned how to deal with it better.

Just don’t see how that works for us though as he’s out of contract next summer and on a free transfer. I’d rather us sell for a fee around what you mention with add-ons, sell-on clause etc as well.

He’ll be an absolute stick on for a yellow card every old firm.

For his own sake he needs to move. For our own interest we need to sell him and get a buy back clause in.

I realy like him and believe that he has a huge potential. However, he has now been here for some years and is not getting younger. For reasons no one understands he has not had enough opportunities and/or not developed as we wanted him to. He has an age where he needs to play every single week and I struggle to see that happen with us. He should take a step or two down and start from scratch, focus on his football and who know, in 2-3 years he might end up where most of us believe his potential is at. I would love that we get a buy back clause in and sign him again in 2-3 years where he has developped significanlty...

Sell McT and give Mejbri his minutes. If he doesn't prove himself this season then sell him next summer.

Don't see why he couldn't do a Fred engine role type player for us if he can be slick with his tackling.

He could, if he could calm down a bit. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. And a Fred type player on a yellow card is basically useless.

Yeah, a Rangers move could go either way.

On the one hand, they'll have plenty of the ball against many of the domestic opponents, and hopefully he'll be allowed to play a CM role like a #8 and get on the ball much more and get to display his technical side.

However, playing for one of the (comparatively) huge Old Firm sides, he might well have to deal with the similar kind of dirty and cynical tactics of opponents that he did in our youth system. And hopefully he'll either be protected more by refs, or show that he's learned how to deal with it better.
Aye, good point. Scottish football is very cynical and anyone with a (perceived or real) weakness in temperament will be relentlessly wound up.

I like the notion of a more combative all-rounder in midfield though. At times we've either been a bit soft in a physical battle or lacking the creative ability to break down packed defences on poor pitches.

I think he'd do well in Scotland, a year at Rangers could be the making of him.
They're an absolute basket case at the moment.Not sure it's a good place for him.

He'd be better going to a promotion chasing Championship side like Burnley.

Aye, good point. Scottish football is very cynical and anyone with a (perceived or real) weakness in temperament will be relentlessly wound up.

I like the notion of a more combative all-rounder in midfield though. At times we've either been a bit soft in a physical battle or lacking the creative ability to break down packed defences on poor pitches.
I’d put money on him getting overexcited and sent off or hooked than handling it.

If he had composure and a better sense of reading the game, in terms of falling in line with the game the ref is permitting, he’d have many more games here, but as it’s an achievement for him to come through a game without incident (whether booked for or not) he has simply been bypassed and others given the minutes he was due.

It’s the fact he never learns from it that is concerning; it shouldn’t be so difficult to take on such a simple set of lessons, but he makes it look equivalent to taking an astronaut’s test for a mission to Mars.

I'd sell him. He should be able to fetch 15-20m EUR, you'd think

What to do with him ? - Keep him away from his baser instinct of eating human flesh

I'd sell him. He should be able to fetch 15-20m EUR, you'd think

I doubt we would get a fraction of that at this point. He has shown nothing either on loan or at United to suggest he is going to make it at the top level and his contract is running down. I would think we would be doing well to get any sort of fee in this window so we would be better off not focusing on the fee and instead including good sell on clauses in case he does suddenly put it all together.

I don’t get it with him. Yes he was overhyped - but when he actually got the chance to play a few games, I felt he was actually decent. Definitely not as good as Mainoo, but not as bad as some of our other midfielders

Really wouldn’t mind having him as a squad option here - felt we missed Fred at times last year and I think he can replicate his energy

He's absolutely the kind of player we should be looking to move on and reinvest. No need to keep a player who will rarely play, isn't the level require and will depreciate in value with a lack of minutes.

@Fortitude thanks for the posts, I assume you've seen him for the academy or followed his progress. Stupid question but as I've seen only his cameos for the first team... do you think the rashness you speak about is actually his style of play? Or he's just not applying himself in the situation at the highest level? If its the former, as in, if thats his strength of getting stuck in and being aggressive... That can be moulded into something progressive like a destroyer. If its the latter and unpredictable then am afraid he's always going to be someone the manager won't or can't trust.

He should be sold this summer, he hasn't shown enough and his disastrous loan at Seville is unacceptable, apparently he had attitude issues and Seville manager was unhappy with him.

Let's cash in on whatever we can get for him since his contract expires next summer

Has to be sold, his value has dropped because of the very poor loan and only having a year on his contract but a relatively low fee with a sell on clause is better than him leaving for nothing next summer.