What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Robinson is an average 29 year old left back

Depending on transfer fee. He is a good solid premier league left back. Good stop gap until Amass is ready. We can’t rely on Shaw anymore. Think he is 26 also

Last edited:
This thread should be closed in favour of a "what position is definitely sorted".

As it's arguable anyone can say any position actually is.

Maybe Dalot at right back? But then he's not even been playing there this year!

When LVG was here, he mostly signed technically sound players (Blind, Schneiderlin , Schweinstiger, Darmian, Martial etc) that are press resistant and understand the basic principles of possession.

We were not perfect back then but we witnessed a team that build from the back confidently even under intense pressing from the opponent.

We should stop buying players who are only suited for a counterattacking style, you can't control games with them because they don't have what it takes to retain possession under opponent pressing and also breaking down low blocks.

In the summer , we need ;
- A very mobile ball playing and creative box to box midfielder because Mainoo is not blessed with bursting pace but has good passing and control ability.
Ugarte is only good in ball recovery and then passing it to nearby option.
A ball carrying and creative box to box midfielder in the mould of Yaya toure but with better pace so that it will cover up Mainoo pace deficiency and make our midfield more mobile.
I recommend Maxence Caqueret.

- A physical striker that makes his presence felt among opponent defence. A ball controller with good first touch and aerial ability.
We should be out for Osimhen.

- A winger, a real old fashioned winger with dazzling pace to give us real width.
Scan the South America market for one.

As much as I want ETH to succeed and prove all the doubters in the media wrong, its obviously looking very unlikely he'll turn it around at this stage.

As a replacement, I still think Amorim is the one. If Sporting are reluctant to let him go mid-season, give Ruud the job until the end of the season, confirming Amorim as the next permanent manager at the same time. That would quash any potential media drivel about INEOS being clueless, indecisive, and give the players clarity on where the club is heading.

I believe the squad is pretty well set-up for Amorim's 3-4-3 tactics already:

--------------------- Onana -----------------------

------ Yoro ------ De Ligt --- Martinez ---

Dalot ---- Ugarte ----- Mainoo ----- Shaw

-------- Amad ---------------- Rashford ----

-------------------- Hojlund -----------------------

We still have a lot of rebuilding to do within the squad and depth wise we would need reinforcements in a few areas. Here is what I would be looking to do over the January and Summer windows:

Out:
Casemiro - 10m
Maguire - 0m
Antony - 25m or Loan
Lindelof - 0m
Malacia - 15m or Loan
Collyer - 15m or Loan
Eriksen - 0m
Mount - 30m
Sancho - 25m

In:
Ait-Nouri - LWB - 45m (obvs if Alphonso Davies is gettable he's the no. 1 choice)
Mika Faye - LCB - 25m
Teden Mengi - RCB - 15m
Carlos Baleba - DM - 60m
Angel Gomes - CM - 0m
Kudus - AM - 65m
Gyokeres - ST - 65m

As much as I want ETH to succeed and prove all the doubters in the media wrong, its obviously looking very unlikely he'll turn it around at this stage.

As a replacement, I still think Amorim is the one. If Sporting are reluctant to let him go mid-season, give Ruud the job until the end of the season, confirming Amorim as the next permanent manager at the same time. That would quash any potential media drivel about INEOS being clueless, indecisive, and give the players clarity on where the club is heading.

I believe the squad is pretty well set-up for Amorim's 3-4-3 tactics already:

--------------------- Onana -----------------------

------ Yoro ------ De Ligt --- Martinez ---

Dalot ---- Ugarte ----- Mainoo ----- Shaw

-------- Amad ---------------- Rashford ----

-------------------- Hojlund -----------------------

We still have a lot of rebuilding to do within the squad and depth wise we would need reinforcements in a few areas. Here is what I would be looking to do over the January and Summer windows:

Out:
Casemiro - 10m
Maguire - 0m
Antony - 25m or Loan
Lindelof - 0m
Malacia - 15m or Loan
Collyer - 15m or Loan
Eriksen - 0m
Mount - 30m
Sancho - 25m

In:
Ait-Nouri - LWB - 45m (obvs if Alphonso Davies is gettable he's the no. 1 choice)
Mika Faye - LCB - 25m
Teden Mengi - RCB - 15m
Carlos Baleba - DM - 60m
Angel Gomes - CM - 0m
Kudus - AM - 65m
Gyokeres - ST - 65m
I imagine that Brighton would want something similar to what they got from Chelsea for Caicedo. But, if we could get it done for something close to your 60M prediction we should be all over it. He is amazing.

I imagine that Brighton would want something similar to what they got from Chelsea for Caicedo. But, if we could get it done for something close to your 60M prediction we should be all over it. He is amazing.
think the INEOS strategy is to buy the next player of the likes of Baleba from a French/Dutch/Spanish team for under 40m rather than paying a premium to another Premier League team

they bought him a year ago for about 22m or something as I remember

Not much has changed in these first few months in terms of what we need next summer IMO:

-A pacey and athletic CB who can cover big spaces quickly, like Branthwaite (only Yoro is good at this from the current squad)

-An expansive passer either at #8 or to play mostly behind Mainoo in a double pivot. Wharton is the obvious target. I'd say only Eriksen is suitable for this in the current team, and this is the biggest need the team currently have.

-Potentially a new left-back if neither of Shaw and Malaca manage to return to the team and be a reliable option.

-A "Creator" type left-footed right winger like Olise could've been this summer, or Palmer the summer before. It's a winger profile we don't really have in the squad, as I'm not sure Amad is that type of player (not saying he isn't good, just that he's different). Rashford is another totally different type of player on the left hand side, and so is Garnacho (who can be deployed on both wings)

-Personal wish, but if Bayindir is not that player, then a number 2 and understudy for Onana, that's a good ball-player and passer who can actually challenge the Cameroonian and deputise for him if needed, without us suffering in the build-up without a good passer between the sticks. It will be difficult to find someone that's a good keeper but content with limited playtime at the same time

That's it IMO, we'd be very well set for the future with 4-5 good additions. And we don't need a "proven goalscorer", we already have that. It's quickly becoming one of the biggest widely accepted myths on here. If we buy an out and out #9, it needs to be an older, rotational option for Hojlund, instead of overpaying for a "premium option" like Gyökeres or Osimhen. That would be absolutely horrific squad building. We need our own Joselu/Choupo-Moting instead

Longer term:

-probably need to buy a better DM than Ugarte

-maybe eventually replace Onana as well, but only if his howlers still happen with a high frequency, which hasn't been the case lately

-get a left-back if Amass' development doesn't go as it should

-get the next "generational" right-back talent when they appear on the market (we can afford to be very patient for now, with 2 very solid right backs in Dalot and Mazraoui)

-A new #10 to eventually replace Bruno but that's not needed for a few years either IMO

-If Rashford starts physically declining (hasn't happened yet) in his late 20s, we'll need a new 30 G/A winger or completely restructure our winger profiles and focus on ones that can feed the striker and maximize the #9's output instead (like how City have done, since getting Haaland: Sterling out, low-block breakers in Doku and Savio brought in, Grealish turned into a ball-retention winger)

Last edited:
Not much has changed in these first few months in terms of what we need next summer IMO:

-A pacey and athletic CB who can cover big spaces quickly, like Branthwaite (only Yoro is good at this from the current squad)

-An expansive passer either at #8 or to play mostly behind Mainoo in a double pivot. Wharton is the obvious target. I'd say only Eriksen is suitable for this in the current team, and this is the biggest need the team currently have.

-Potentially a new left-back if neither of Shaw and Malaca manage to return to the team and be a reliable option.

-A "Creator" type left-footed right winger like Olise could've been this summer, or Palmer the summer before. It's a winger profile we don't really have in the squad, as I'm not sure Amad is that type of player (not saying he isn't good, just that he's different). Rashford is another totally different type of player on the left hand side, and so is Garnacho (who can be deployed on both wings)

-Personal wish, but if Bayindir is not that player, then a number 2 and understudy for Onana, that's a good ball-player and passer who can actually challenge the Cameroonian and deputise for him if needed, without us suffering in the build-up without a good passer between the sticks. It will be difficult to find someone that's a good keeper but content with limited playtime at the same time

That's it IMO, we'd be very well set for the future with 4-5 good additions. And we don't need a "proven goalscorer", we already have that. It's quickly becoming one of the biggest widely accepted myths on here. If we buy an out and out #9, it needs to be an older, rotational option for Hojlund, instead of overpaying for a "premium option" like Gyökeres or Osimhen. That would be absolutely horrific squad building. We need our own Joselu/Choupo-Moting instead

Longer term:

-probably need to buy a better DM than Ugarte

-maybe eventually replace Onana as well, but only if his howlers still happen with a high frequency, which hasn't been the case lately

-get a left-back if Amass' development doesn't go as it should

-get the next "generational" right-back talent when they appear on the market (we can afford to be very patient for now, with 2 very solid right backs in Dalot and Mazraoui)

-A new #10 to eventually replace Bruno but that's not needed for a few years either IMO

-If Rashford starts physically declining (hasn't happened yet) in his late 20s, we'll need a new 30 G/A winger or completely restructure our winger profiles and focus on ones that can feed the striker and maximize the #9's output instead (like how City have done, since getting Haaland: Sterling out, low-block breakers in Doku and Savio brought in, Grealish turned into a ball-retention winger)
Don’t disagree too much
Pickup Gomes as Eriksens replacement.
Kone is probably destined for a long term DM role so if Ugarte doesn’t settle, kone will be pushing him
Need a LB pretty much straight away. I like the lad at Wolves though Alfonso Davies would be fun, pure pace
A LW with high pace, ability to beat his man and slight crosses in

We need a new head coach who can put the pieces together in a more fluid way and get the best out of the strikers that we do because we aren’t utilising them correctly yet

Don’t disagree too much
Pickup Gomes as Eriksens replacement.
Kone is probably destined for a long term DM role so if Ugarte doesn’t settle, kone will be pushing him
Need a LB pretty much straight away. I like the lad at Wolves though Alfonso Davies would be fun, pure pace
A LW with high pace, ability to beat his man and slight crosses in

We need a new head coach who can put the pieces together in a more fluid way and get the best out of the strikers that we do because we aren’t utilising them correctly yet

Gomes could be a shrewd signing who could be attained for free, but he should only join if he's willing to fight for his place, which I think he would be, when he considers that at the moment he's not on the level where he could expect a guaranteed starter role at a giant club like United, or at any other club our size. However, he's definitely a player who could be useful to such a club, and I really like to see us tap into the free agent market, because there are some good opportunities we can seize, as we've seen with Eriksen, Evans, and Cavani in recent years.

Gomes has learned how to play in a double pivot at Lille, and for free, it's likely that he would be a smart addition...although I do think we need a major addition for this position too, so I'd prefer someone like Wharton. If Gomes is one of two midfielders joining next summer, that would be great, but for the player himself, he might reconsider due to playtime concerns.

I hope Koné's development goes as expected, and that he's able to make the transition to elite level football and become a good player for us...but I don't have enough knowledge about him to be able to estimate the likelihood of him becoming a regular first team player for us within the next 1-2 years. I hope it's the case, though, obviously.

The left-back I would be looking to sign, if we want someone like Davies or similar to him, is Patrick Dorgu. I would also be happy to see us re-sign Carreras from Benfica.

I don't think we need a left winger, though, so that's the one part of your post I disagree with. Both Rashford and Garnacho would fare much better in a different tactical system under another manager IMO. If we get a left-footed right winger than can play on the left too, that's a great bonus and adds depth and versatility to the squad...but I'd rather focus on the right wing instead.

GK: Fine for now (I am excited for Harrison eventually)
RB: Fine
LB: Dorgu or Ait-Nouri to replace Malacia
CD: Branthwaite replacing Maguire
CM: Larsson to replace Casemiro, one of the youngsters like Kone or Fletcher to replace Eriksen
AM: Fine for now but Rigg, Mastantuono or a youngster like Ibragimov to challenge long term
RW: Dibling to replace Antony
LW: Think he needs a move but Rashford won’t be sold for much and replacements aren’t obvious. Fine for now.
ST: I really think Zirkzee is not suitable - way too passive. Sesko has monster potential.

think the INEOS strategy is to buy the next player of the likes of Baleba from a French/Dutch/Spanish team for under 40m rather than paying a premium to another Premier League team

Yeah and maybe our new lad from Mali can be that cheaper alternative. That would be great if he ends up being on Baleba's level of quality for us, but thats a longshot just like it is for every youth signing.

GK: Fine for now (I am excited for Harrison eventually)
RB: Fine
LB: Dorgu or Ait-Nouri to replace Malacia
CD: Branthwaite replacing Maguire
CM: Larsson to replace Casemiro, one of the youngsters like Kone or Fletcher to replace Eriksen
AM: Fine for now but Rigg, Mastantuono or a youngster like Ibragimov to challenge long term
RW: Dibling to replace Antony
LW: Think he needs a move but Rashford won’t be sold for much and replacements aren’t obvious. Fine for now.
ST: I really think Zirkzee is not suitable - way too passive. Sesko has monster potential.
Who is Larsson? Sorry, I'm just curious.

Rigg would be a great signing.

And finally, Sesko would also be an amazing signing.

Bit optimistic but a good target list. We wont manage to sell or buy all but nothing wrong with setting it as a target

1) Oshimen/Gyokeres - 70m
2) Wirtz - 100 mill
3) Ait-noui - 40m
4) Johan Bakayoko - 40m
5) Leif Davies - Free
6) Gomes - Free
7) Tah - Free
8) Jonathan David - Free
9) Anguissa - Free
Total - 250 mill

Sales
1) Casemiro - 15 mill
2) Antony - 20 mill
3) Bruno - 30 mill
4) Shaw - 10 mill
5) Malacia - 2 mill
6) Eriksen - 5 mill
7) Hojlund - 40 mill
8) Zirkzee - 20 mill
People will think Im mad selling Hojlund and Zirkzee but Id swap them for Oshimen/Gyokeres and Jonathan David. Obviously lets see how the season pans out for them. If they prove themselves then no need to sell.

We don’t have the foundational squad to take calculated punts on young prospects all the time. They will likely balance buying the likes of Baleba at source (like we did with Kobevthis summer) with buying more low-risk, 1st team ready signings from clubs like Brighton who are ready for that next step - like what Baleba would be now/next summer.

It’s also harder in practice to get the likes of Baleba ahead of a Brighton who can assure more 1st team football almost immediately. We were actually fairly heavily linked with Baleba before his move but I expect he made that move for those very reasons.

My order of need:

1. Manager (no idea)
  2. Striker (Sesko, Muniz from Fulham, or the big lad at Porto who dominated us the other day)
  3. Creative winger with explosive pace and the ability to consistently be dangerous in one on one situations (no idea)
  4. LB (Alt-Nouri, Robinson from Fulham, or Kerkez from Bournmouth)
  5. CM (Baleba)
  6. Keeper (no idea)

Who is Larsson? Sorry, I'm just curious.

Rigg would be a great signing.

And finally, Sesko would also be an amazing signing.

Hugo Larsson is a 20 year old Swedish midfielder starring for Frankfurt. I’m really impressed by his mix of technical and combative qualities. He looks a really good prospect. I also like Ugarte and think he will come up to speed in time but think Larsson might end up more complete and compliment Mainoo really well.

Hugo Larsson is a 20 year old Swedish midfielder starring for Frankfurt. I’m really impressed by his mix of technical and combative qualities. He looks a really good prospect. I also like Ugarte and think he will come up to speed in time but think Larsson might end up more complete and compliment Mainoo really well.

Larsson is a very, very good option.

Nice, he looks quality, like a young Matic. How is he defensively? He doesn't look like he'd be that quick.

Nice, he looks quality, like a young Matic. How is he defensively? He doesn't look like he'd be that quick.

From what I’ve seen, he’s more of a Carrick than a Keane type. His defensive anticipation is a big strength - lots of blocks, clearances etc rather than successful tackles. He’s 6ft2 but needs to fill out a little and become more aggressive. I suspect he’ll be class in about 2-3 years and is already showing real promise.

I send a letter to Sir Jimminy every day begging him for Arda Guler. He'd be the perfect Bruno successor and is just as comfortable playing from the right.

Comp from the most recent international break:

He's played 291 minutes all season for Madrid and has been behind Dani Ceballos in the pecking order the last couple of games.

For once please let us be the winners of some classic Madrid lunacy.

From what I’ve seen, he’s more of a Carrick than a Keane type. His defensive anticipation is a big strength - lots of blocks, clearances etc rather than successful tackles. He’s 6ft2 but needs to fill out a little and become more aggressive. I suspect he’ll be class in about 2-3 years and is already showing real promise.
exactly what we miss

I send a letter to Sir Jimminy every day begging him for Arda Guler. He'd be the perfect Bruno successor and is just as comfortable playing from the right.

Comp from the most recent international break:

He's played 291 minutes all season for Madrid and has been behind Dani Ceballos in the pecking order the last couple of games.

For once please let us be the winners of some classic Madrid lunacy.

He’s the dream Bruno replacement for me too. If there’s any sniff of him being unhappy and available next summer we should be all over it.

Really liked the look of Damsgard today
I have been a big fan of him since that International tournament a few years ago, and am glad that he is now finally starting to reestablish himself. I don't know what happened after that tournament, if he got a bad injury or what, but he does now look quality. He is very skillful on the ball and can deliver excellent set pieces, and he is surprisingly sharp in the tackle for being such a skinny lad.

I didn't watch the full 90 minutes but Carlos Baleba looked quality once again. The Guardian right up said he was by far the best CM on the pitch up against the 3 hyped Newcastle lads.

I know its not so simple but I would pay whatever Brighton want for him.