What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Agreed. Maybe Collyer can be the backup DM, but we might up also needing a new GK and CF.

I think United's biggest issue at the moment is managerial. We've known for years (Mou, Ole, Rangnick and ETH) that our forward line isn't up for grabs. Yes its lethal in quick counters but it can't break a low block. ETH's approach to that is to triple down on that tactic by committing as many people upfront as possible and raise the tempo to a ridiculous level. That doesn't really cut it for 2 main reasons

a- such tempo won't make us effective. The ball is delivered too quickly, our players aren't intelligent/technical enough to exploit the situation and defenses in England can usually handle them even en masse
b- With our wingbacks + wingers + Bruno playing so high, it leaves us ridiculously exposed to counter attack. The CBs + DM can't cover for that.

I think that we need to lower the tempo and give the team time to built its attack. If they can't crack a low block then its evident that they aren't good enough and they need replacing. There's no beating around the bush around that anymore

I do agree that ETH's tactics are the main problem, and we have to change the man if we really want change.

But god do we need a midfielder like this. How some United fans dont see this is beyond me.

To stop signing players with so many handicaps. Antony, Casemiro, Ugarte, Onana, Martinez, AWB, Fernandez etc. One thing you note with all the big teams is that they hardly sign one dimensional players.

You can’t build a midfield when all your players cannot do all the basics of midfield to a mid table level.
Fernandez is terrible at ball retention
Cassemiro is terrible at all retention and passing and running with the ball.
Ugarte based on my limited knowledge seems to be the AWB of midfielders.

Barcelona have Pedri, FDG and Olmo . Guys seem to be good at everything you want your midfielders to be good at .
City Rodri, Gundogan, Kovacic. The odd one is KDB is more like Fernandez but not as bad with ball retention.
Arsenal , Liverpool, Bayern etc use the same formula.
Hell if you look at Anderson and Cleverly, Fletcher and Carrick, etc offered more in terms of midfield play than any combination we can field now. None of those players were world class.
Nail on the head

I do agree that ETH's tactics are the main problem, and we have to change the man if we really want change.

But god do we need a midfielder like this. How some United fans dont see this is beyond me.

I know they’re pretty much playing at walking pace but his quality and decision-making was something!

feck the next Rodri, we need find the next Carrick.

Wow that was great to see. I wonder why is there such a lack of top players of this type now?

I mean, I get why we have less world class strikers with the way football has progressed, but you'd think there would be more players like Carrick or Busquets, but nope.

Wow that was great to see. I wonder why is there such a lack of top players of this type now?

I mean, I get why we have less world class strikers with the way football has progressed, but you'd think there would be more players like Carrick or Busquets, but nope.

Adam Wharton seems like the closest thing to a Carrick in the Prem currently. Clean and progressive passer, positionally solid, great anticipation and hard in the tackle when he needs to be. Only issue is he’ll cost a fortune in the summer, given they wanted £70m for Guehi. But given how hard these players are to find, he could be worth it?

Adam Wharton seems like the closest thing to a Carrick in the Prem currently. Clean and progressive passer, positionally solid, great anticipation and hard in the tackle when he needs to be. Only issue is he’ll cost a fortune in the summer, given they wanted £70m for Guehi. But given how hard these players are to find, he could be worth it?

Yeah think we will definitely be interested

I like his potential, but honestly I see more James Mccarthy than Carrick in him.

So good to watch carrick again. Finding someone like him isnt easy, but we are definitely lacking someone in his style.

For next summer, let's go British again:
- LB Leif Davies
- backup LCB Branthwaite?
- backup DM Hayden Hackney
- backup CM Angel Gomes

Alongside international starters:
- GK Diogo Costa
- LW Kvaratshelia?

Some very good choices. Hackney is an interesting one. Wonder if he can have a Wharton like impact, adapt straight to the premier league. Kva I like but do wonder if we should save the money on LW buy a cheaper player thats good enough to help Garnaacho develop into a world class player. Also think a striker might be needed. Big season for Hojlund and Zirkzee not writing them off. But they need double figures or media and fan pressure will grow.

LB - Dorgu from Lecce/Aina from Forest
LCB - Branthwaite, after Everton get relegated
CM - Gibbs White to rotate with Mainoo
Winger - Nico Williams or Eze to replace Rashford

Genuinely probably 4 signings off a complete squad, that is ready to challenge for a top 2 place in the league.

Genuinely probably 4 signings off a complete squad, that is ready to challenge for a top 2 place in the league.

Yeah Williams is dream winger signing

1- manager
2- LB
3- CM (dlp who can defend)
4- DM
5 - RW
Change RW to LW, as I think Amad and Garnacho are very good options for RW and have to be seen as RW's, while our left wing is a huge question mark. Potential for Collyer to be the 6th midfielder (backup DM) and we roll with Mainoo, Wharton (or whoever for DLP), Ugarte as the main deep guys, Bruno and Mount more advanced options, Collyer backup DM.

Next after that would be addressing GK and CF, by this point you'd imagine we'll have a good idea if Hojlund and Zirkzee are up to it or not. Maybe worth going for Gyokeres if they aren't.

Sell (or sack or do not renew, come summertime)...
  • Erik ten Hag (assuming he isn't let go before that.)
  • Antony: underperforms on big wages.
  • Victor Lindelöf: not fit for purpose.
  • Bruno Fernandes: good player for specific schemes, but not what we need going forward.
  • Harry Maguire: underperforms on big wages.
  • Marcus Rashford: inconsistent and on big wages.
  • Luke Shaw: fitness concerns.
  • Casemiro: long in the tooth.
  • Mason Mount: fitness concerns.
  • André Onana: inconsistent and on big wages (for his position.)
  • Christian Eriksen: long in the tooth.
  • Tyrell Malacia: not fit for purpose.
Defensive signings...
  • Young sweeper keeper with better fundamentals and better potential than the current starter: Bart Verbruggen (£40 million?) Alternatives, if we are fine with goalkeepers who are not as good in possession: Andriy Lunin (contract expires in 9 months or so) and Giorgi Mamardashvili.
  • Reserve goalkeeper who will be available for free: Walter Benítez.
  • Young, tall, ball-playing, left-footed centerback who will be available for free and could be developed behind senior pros: Yarek Gąsiorowski.
  • Left-footed assist-making left-back/wingback who will be available for free: Leif Davis.
Midfield signings...
  • Technically sound and reasonably tall metronomic No. 6 + No. 8 hybrid: Adam Wharton (£60 million?)
  • Versatile, ball-carrying playmaker who could be fielded as a No. 10, as a forward or as an interior: Sverre Nypan (should be relatively cheap).
Offensive signings...
  • Someone who can effortlessly dribble to transport the ball from Point A to point B and is an accomplished, technically accomplished creator (which will theoretically bring the best out of Højlund): Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (£120 million?)
Youth players who might be on the cusp in a year or so...
  • Jack Fletcher.
  • Harry Amass.
  • Sékou Koné.
  • Bendito Mantato.
  • Shea Lacey, fitness and development permitting.
Players to keep an eye on, with the 2026 summer window in mind...
  • Lamine Yamal. Contract expires on 30 June 2026. Not a serious proposition if we're being honest, but strange things can happen.
    emot-pray.gif
  • Center forward who could function as consummate tip-of-the-lance types in possession, if Højlund, Zirzkee, Wheatley aren't good fits or generally fail to impress: Francesco Camarda or Benjamin Seško (earlier would be good too, of course, but the economics might not work out.)
  • Arda Güler, if he is willing to join the club (earlier would be good too, much like the aforementioned duo, but the economics might not work out.)

6vIqN3P.jpg

Everton won't be relegated, however agree we should try and sign him if doesn't go in January

Would prefer this guy over Wharton any day of the week. Much better player, more secure on the ball, and will probably be way cheaper.

Would prefer this guy over Wharton any day of the week. Much better player, more secure on the ball, and will probably be way cheaper.

When was the last time we signed a player from the bundesliga and they performed anything close to the level they shown there.

If Wharton has a good season and is a price we can afford i'd much prefer to go for a known quantity.

When was the last time we signed a player from the bundesliga and they performed anything close to the level they shown there.

If Wharton has a good season and is a price we can afford i'd much prefer to go for a known quantity.

That's on us more than anything. Other PL clubs have bought from Bundesliga, and their signings play well. Just look at Gundogan.

PL proven in a myth anyway, we have bought PL players before and they have flopped too. Mason Mount looking to be the biggest new example.

Every signing is a risk. You roll a dice on the biggest potential/best value.