Westminster Politics

This all feels like a storm in a teacup to me. Williamson is a dim, petulant idiot, that's my biggest objection to his cabinet return.
hes also a privy councillor, alongside being a knight, an MP and a minister. ie one of the most powerful people in the country. not bad for a fireplace salesman and thick cnut.

hes also a privy councillor, alongside being a knight, an MP and a minister. ie one of the most powerful people in the country. not bad for a fireplace salesman and thick cnut.
I'd completely forgotten he'd been knighted til this story emerged. Wasn't he twice fireplace salesman of the year though?

Is that how low the bar for bullying or abuse is these days? He doesnt even insult her. Could sum it up as a heavily sarcastic back and forth involving swearwords.

Wait till we get into bullying by the 'giving of dirty looks' era. I had a boss once whose gaze at twenty paces could have you running for the nearest loo!

If you vote for people like this, just feck off.

It’s the only card they have left to play. Brexit is an increasingly visible disaster and whipping up hysteria about trans people doesn’t really get people’s attention. So, while despicable, it’s also kind of encouraging.

So the Tories want to go back to slavery? Even if it is holding people and deporting them without consequence. Where will it lead
Exactly where they hoped it would when they pushed for Brexit. That’s what it’s always been about.

One week after a terror attack on a migrant facility, these cnuts think it's correct to use such language & rhetoric?! I suppose it's their best policy of winning votes - blame the immigrants for all your problems.

Deputy Leader of UKIP (are they still around?):

I'm jealous of confident people, I'm always worried about not being smart enough to voice my opinions on certain issues yet here we have a very confident but dumb person just out there in a top role in an albeit minor party spouting this kind of crap with no fear.

I'm jealous of confident people, I'm always worried about not being smart enough to voice my opinions on certain issues yet here we have a very confident but dumb person just out there in a top role in an albeit minor party spouting this kind of crap with no fear.
It's because they've got a back up plan, that's what you need! Just do what they do - if someone replies to them with "can you explain what you've just said in more detail" you just wave your arms hysterically in the air and shout "woke left! Cancel culture!"

Well I have read many of your posts and you have absolutely nothing to be jealous about.

If anyone was still wondering how they plan to win the next election....

As well as passports and driving licences, the Government will accept:

1. An Older Person’s Bus Pass
  2. A Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
  3. An Oyster 60+ card
  4. a Freedom Pass (66+)
  5. Passes funded by the Scottish Government
    1. The National Entitlement Card (over 60s or 16 to 22)
  6. Passes funded by the Welsh Government
    1. A 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
    2. A Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  7. Passes issued under the Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme
    1. A Senior SmartPass
    2. a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass
    3. a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass
    4. a 60+ SmartPass
    5. a Half Fare SmartPass
This means that six of the Government-accepted IDs are specifically targeted at older people, while almost none are aimed at younger people.

This! Im so full of self doubt that I wont get into these debates.

If anyone was still wondering how they plan to win the next election....

I presume the ones they accept is partially because you have to show other government approved I'd to get them?

Is there any I'd that younger people have to show government I'd to get?

Young persons rail card? Not sure of that has a photo on it?

What % of the population don't have a passport or drivers licence ...I guess its not huge but also not insignifigant

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...illiamson-awarded-knighthood-by-boris-johnson
I presume the ones they accept is partially because you have to show other government approved I'd to get them?

Is there any I'd that younger people have to show government I'd to get?

Young persons rail card? Not sure of that has a photo on it?

What % of the population don't have a passport or drivers licence ...I guess its not huge but also not insignifigant
Student Matric card is an obvious one.
And, yes, young person rail cards carry photos.

Having worked in running elections for a local authority previously, electoral ID is the biggest con by the Conservative Party. There are already plenty of safeguards in place to tackle electoral fraud and cases of it are very minimal if none at all. We do not have the electronic voting which America has. As people have said, this is to disfranchise younger voters who would normally vote Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...illiamson-awarded-knighthood-by-boris-johnson

Student Matric card is an obvious one.
And, yes, young person rail cards carry photos.
My wife got her student card with a chinese passport so technically I think at least those can be got with non UK government ID

And I just checked you can get a rail card with an international passport (i,e. not uk gov id) as well

That would I suspect be the reason they were not included though it would I think be relatively simple to mark on them if it was obtained with valid UK ID

Even simpler would be some national ID card which personally wouldn't be an issue for me as I'm sure I give out a million times more data when I use tick tok

Ultimately though some form of digital voting with encryption seems the way forwards

Having worked in running elections for a local authority previously, electoral ID is the biggest con by the Conservative Party. There are already plenty of safeguards in place to tackle electoral fraud and cases of it are very minimal if none at all. We do not have the electronic voting which America has. As people have said, this is to disfranchise younger voters who would normally vote Labour.

Same. Have done it in many occasions and it's a complete non issue. We all know the reasons for it and it's yet another bullet point on the way to us becoming a complete banana republic.

Never understood the aversion to ID cards in the UK. Nearly every European country has them, either voluntary or compulsory.

Has everyone got something to hide?

Be different if they were going to issue them to everyone for free but they're not doing that are they. Try reading the article.

Be different if they were going to issue them to everyone for free but they're not doing that are they. Try reading the article.

I wasn't referring particularly to the article but why not issue free ID cards to everyone. This debate has been going on for decades. They were objecting to free ID cards years ago.

I wasn't referring particularly to the article but why not issue free ID cards to everyone. This debate has been going on for decades. They were objecting to free ID cards years ago.

Maybe because as pointed out by people that work in the system on this very thread there is no genuine reason to bring them in for fear of voter fraud so it would be another colossal waste of taxpayers money.

The problem in this country has never been voter fraud, it's voter apathy and if this goes through it will only disenfranchise that same group even further, which let's face it, is the only real purpose to it. A healthy functioning democracy does not seek to prevent people from voting.

Maybe because as pointed out by people that work in the system on this very thread there is no genuine reason to bring them in for fear of voter fraud so it would be another colossal waste of taxpayers money.

The problem in this country has never been voter fraud, it's voter apathy and if this goes through it will only disenfranchise that same group even further, which let's face it, is the only real purpose to it. A healthy functioning democracy does not seek to prevent people from voting.

I realise the topic of debate is about voter fraud but in general , ID cards serve other purposes as well. The government have spent much bigger amounts of money on much more wasteful things.

I don't agree with what the government laid out in that article but if everyone had a free ID everyone would be equal and end the debate which is a non-issue elsewhere in Europe.