Westminster Politics 2024-2029

This is a huge exaggeration.

Australia is easy to go to for low skilled workers but the market in general for white collar workers is around the same as the UK.

US is also a nightmare.

I've been sponsored for H1B's and it's pure luck, and right now I'm 50% in DC and 50% in London and ultimately my work made me a "Director" just so i could be eligible for L-1 Visa's.

There is no way 99% of even "top" graduates from the UK are getting to USA. No chance.

Do you have any statistics for that?

My company has offices in all those countries and best graduates I trained transferred to those countries due to low salaries in the UK. So this is my personal experience only but I know a lot of doctors that have moved out of the UK as well due to low salaries after becoming consultants.

The Australian team is passing some of their work onto us as we are cheaper and they can make a profit this way. I was offered to join their office and the salary was 34% higher than my salary here in UK.

In the US, colleague at my level earns
more than double what I earn.

I keep missing something:

Why is "Person X spends Y hours a day with their family, which makes them a good family person. But they need to be expected to commit Z hours to this job, which overlaps with Y, therefore they wouldn't be a good candidate."

Why is this a) even about gender when he even said himself that it kinda affects the bloke too b) even controversial? Specific jobs require certain sacrifices on family and if people aren't willing to make those sacrifices perhaps the job isn't for them?
Because of the context of the man who said it, and his views on other things, such as his refusal to stop calling Parliamentary Aids ‘servants’, blocking legislation on upskirting etc.

There is a nuanced conversation to be had about work-family balances, but he wasn’t doing that. He labelled her situation as a problem vs Jenrick, who’s kids are only a year older each I think and both dismissed the criticism and Jenrick’s situation too.

My company has offices in all those countries and best graduates I trained transferred to those countries due to low salaries in the UK. So this is my personal experience only but I know a lot of doctors that have moved out of the UK as well due to low salaries after becoming consultants.

The Australian team is passing some of their work onto us as we are cheaper and they can make a profit this way. I was offered to join their office and the salary was 34% higher than my salary here in UK.

I know loads has been written about medical workers moving to Australia. Flipside is in media and to an extent banking and investment management, where people from Australia go to London to experience working in a much bigger market.
Loads of movement each way between the US, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong too.
Not doubting loads want to leave the UK -was three years ago last week that we left London- but is still a two way street.

A way to help get that generation back into good health (and then possibly after that into work) is to make their outlook less fecking bleak and come up with policies that don't screw them over in order to benefit the older and richer ones. Like mandated affordable housing, rent controls, or building/acquiring social housing to ease up the grind a little for them?
Yes, agreed that is true, but we need 'people in work' to come up with the 'readies'.

I suspect all of the things you mention are on Starmers 'to do list'. The trouble is after years of adjusting our economy in order to move towards 'greater union' within the EU and for the UK to become the 'financial centre' for the emerging United States of Europe. We adjusted our economic base, e.g. getting things we use to make 'made for us' in other EU states. As a result our economic infrastructure is unable to function properly and is almost unbalanced. (another consequence of leaving the EU, when we did, and how we did)

It's going to take the best part of 8-10 years just to begin to 're-balance', with new inventions, new products, new ideas generally and to boost and expand the range of elements that make up our economy. It's not just about growing the value of the economy that now exists, but fundamentally adjusting and upgrading an economy that will be 'fit for purpose' and have to withstand, climate change, mass migration, increasing scarcity and reduction of essential supplies etc.

Everything needs a 're-boot'.

This is Starmers main task and at the same time convincing the younger generation in particular, that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have no doubt that US salaries are 2x higher.

But again your point is that

“Graduates are leaving UK to work in USA”

How? H1Bs have very high requirements which a graduate isn’t going to meet and nobody is going to fork out 10k usd to sponsor a graduate.

How? H1Bs have very high requirements which a graduate isn’t going to meet and nobody is going to fork out 10k usd to sponsor a graduate.
She went after 3 years at the company so not exactly a graduate but I don't know the specifics of her visa situation. She had a thick Scottish accent so I don't think she was a yank.

She went after 3 years at the company so not exactly a graduate but I don't know the specifics of her visa situation. She had a thick Scottish accent so I don't think she was a yank.

L-1 Transfer Visa, incredibly rare, incredibly difficult, and incredibly fortunate.

It's not representative at all.

Because of the context of the man who said it, and his views on other things, such as his refusal to stop calling Parliamentary Aids ‘servants’, blocking legislation on upskirting etc.

There is a nuanced conversation to be had about work-family balances, but he wasn’t doing that. He labelled her situation as a problem vs Jenrick, who’s kids are only a year older each I think and both dismissed the criticism and Jenrick’s situation too.
Need some pretty strong retrovirals to fight that.

As someone who initially moved to the US on a H1B visa, unless the requirements have changed drastically then I have to disagree.

I never went to university, the company I work for certainly paid out more than $10K and that was more than a decade ago.

A lot depends on the industry involved and the expertise of the lawyers they use for the process, which is frankly torturous to say the least, I have a Green Card now and that process was just as big a pain in the ass as well!

As someone who initially moved to the US on a H1B visa, unless the requirements have changed drastically then I have to disagree.

I never went to university, the company I work for certainly paid out more than $10K and that was more than a decade ago.

A lot depends on the industry involved and the expertise of the lawyers they use for the process, which is frankly torturous to say the least, I have a Green Card now and that process was just as big a pain in the ass as well!

The problem is that the number of applicants has increased sharply and that means there’s now less people who are actually put into the draw.

Then it’s pure pot luck. I’ve had 2 h1bs approved only to fail at the lottery stage.

You got extremely lucky.

The problem is that the number of applicants has increased sharply and that means there’s now less people who are actually put into the draw.

Then it’s pure pot luck. I’ve had 2 h1bs approved only to fail at the lottery stage.

You got extremely lucky.
Luck had nothing to do with it

At the time I had a skillset and experience in what I did that didn't exist in the US, today would be different though

Luck had nothing to do with it

At the time I had a skillset and experience in what I did that didn't exist in the US, today would be different though

Are you sure you were on a H1B?

Since 2008, a H1B lottery has happened.

It doesn't matter if you meet the requirements, every single person who meets the criteria is "accepted than put into a draw."

This year there are 85,000 H1B places, for a total of 800,000 successful applications.

You basically have a 1/10 chance of getting a H1B even if you met every single specific criteria.

Then, you basically try again and again until you get lucky.

It isn't dependent on skillset, role, gap, etc once you meet the eligibility criteria. By sheer dumb luck you could literally have 85,000 Software Engineers and no research scientists because the lottery by pure luck selected 85k people who were applying as a Software Engineer. There is some nuance to this obviously, but theoretically this could happen to a degree.

Either you got lucky with the draw and your employment lawyer didn't tell you it was a lottery, you got it in the "gap" year or pre 2008, or you weren't on a H1B.

It doesn't matter if you're the only person in USA who could do this job on a H1B, the chances of you getting drawn from the pool is the same as every other person who successfully applied.

Last edited:
Are you sure you were on a H1B?

Since 2008, a H1B lottery has happened.

It doesn't matter if you meet the requirements, every single person who meets the criteria is "accepted than put into a draw."

This year there are 85,000 H1B places, for a total of 800,000 successful applications.

You basically have a 1/10 chance of getting a H1B even if you met every single specific criteria.

Then, you basically try again and again until you get lucky.

It isn't dependent on skillset, role, gap, etc once you meet the eligibility criteria. By sheer dumb luck you could literally have 85,000 Software Engineers and no research scientists because the lottery by pure luck selected 85k people who were applying as a Software Engineer. There is some nuance to this obviously, but theoretically this could happen to a degree.

Either you got lucky with the draw and your employment lawyer didn't tell you it was a lottery, you got it in the "gap" year or pre 2008, or you weren't on a H1B.

It doesn't matter if you're the only person in USA who could do this job on a H1B, the chances of you getting drawn from the pool is the same as every other person who successfully applied.
It was in 2011 and I know what visa I was on, the rules may have been different then to what they are now, I do know that employees of my company regularly transfered to the US from Europe in those days, and most of it not all were granted their visa, incidentally it's a 2-way street because pelnty of US folks have transferred to Europe as well

I have no idea about how the lottery works, all I know is that after the application was made it took about 7-8 months for me to be called to the US Embassy in London for an interview, and I was told at end of the interview, which was around 20-30 mins long, that my application was being granted

It was in 2011 and I know what visa I was on, the rules may have been different then to what they are now, I do know that employees of my company regularly transfered to the US from Europe in those days, and most of it not all were granted their visa, incidentally it's a 2-way street because pelnty of US folks have transferred to Europe as well

I have no idea about how the lottery works, all I know is that after the application was made it took about 7-8 months for me to be called to the US Embassy in London for an interview, and I was told at end of the interview, which was around 20-30 mins long, that my application was being granted

I have never heard of this and I have been trying to get a H1-B for years. Maybe in 2011 there was a gap year where the lottery didn't happen? Shrugs.

Regarding bolded, that isn't a H1B, that's an L-1 (Which is what I have now).

Absolutely heartbreaking, and then you read the replies.

What will it take for a government to ACTUALLY make a solution to this?!?

Absolutely heartbreaking, and then you read the replies.

What will it take for a government to ACTUALLY make a solution to this?!?

Of course people are celebrating this. fecking verminous cnuts. This is a baby, and they’re celebrating her death because she’s the child of an asylum seeker. It’s cartoonishly evil.

I have never heard of this and I have been trying to get a H1-B for years. Maybe in 2011 there was a gap year where the lottery didn't happen? Shrugs.

Regarding bolded, that isn't a H1B, that's an L-1 (Which is what I have now).
My visa was a H1B, as were the visa's of some of my colleagues who moved in the same time period, some before and some after, the company I worked for (still do) employ a major Atlanta based law firm to deal with all the legalities involved.

Maybe the lawyers involved are the ones who really make it happen because I've never heard of any cases of transfers within the company failing, or perhaps because some areas of the business work with the US Government has something to do with it, not my area personally but anyone who gets a US passport for instance deals with part of the business

Public schools feeling the pinch.

Economics of Eton: fees up 20%, head’s pay up 40% to £370,000​

Eton College has awarded its head master a 40 per cent pay rise as it prepares to pass on to parents the full burden of Labour’s 20 per cent VAT charge in January. Simon Henderson’s pay package for leading the world-renowned boys boarding school in Windsor climbed to between £370,000 and £380,000 in 2022-23.
https://www.thetimes.com/uk/education/article/eton-headmaster-pay-rise-vat-tt5nm0sr5

If you read the Times article on HS2 it shows it's an even bigger clusterfeck than imagined if possible and the spiralling costs unbelievable. Where would Gareth Dennis favour cutting government spending in order to fund it.

What happened to that consultation the government did the other year on why UK infrastructure projects cost up to 8x more than in other European countries? Sort that out before pissing hundreds more billions up the wall.

To be fair Rowling's shite books inspired a generation of children to read more, irrespective of her backwards and/or hateful views on trans people. If I were her I wouldn't be accepting a peerage from Kemi Badenoch though
I’d be interested to know just how many people actually believe that to be the case.

Last edited:
I’d be interested to know just how many people actually believe that to be the case.

Actually believe she has hateful views toward trans people? I suspect most who read her tweets on the subject draw that conclusion

Public schools feeling the pinch.

Economics of Eton: fees up 20%, head’s pay up 40% to £370,000​

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/education/article/eton-headmaster-pay-rise-vat-tt5nm0sr5

The likes of Eton were always going to benefit. It makes zero difference to kids going to schools like that but makes it that bit harder for the rest to catch up.

The pinch is beginning to be felt now. A handful of schools nationally have gone to the wall but i know of 3 in my area alone who have closed their reception and junior intakes and the local authority is scrambling to arrange schooling and transport for the remaining kids.

The likes of Eton were always going to benefit. It makes zero difference to kids going to schools like that but makes it that bit harder for the rest to catch up.

The pinch is beginning to be felt now. A handful of schools nationally have gone to the wall but i know of 3 in my area alone who have closed their reception and junior intakes and the local authority is scrambling to arrange schooling and transport for the remaining kids.

Do you have sources for these cases?

I've already posted the full school shutdowns, one of which was Alton School. I'm not posting where i live but these are not too far from there.

Is the Alton School not the one that gets debunked every single time you reference it?

I've already posted the full school shutdowns, one of which was Alton School. I'm not posting where i live but these are not too far from there.
So no links, the one provided was debunked, unwilling to share the other examples.

Well, I'm convinced!

The Sentencing Act 2020 was a major consolidation of the law on sentencing and when it was passed it was declared a huge exercise in law reform. What has happened in the past four years to change this?

I only ask because, when the Sentencing Bill reached the House of Commons in September 2020, Keir Starmer agreed with the Government to wave it through all its Commons stages without debate or amendment:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...-4F01-9FB4-B9B1026333E6/BusinessWithoutDebate

The Sentencing Act 2020 was a major consolidation of the law on sentencing and when it was passed it was declared a huge exercise in law reform. What has happened in the past four years to change this?

I only ask because, when the Sentencing Bill reached the House of Commons in September 2020, Keir Starmer agreed with the Government to wave it through all its Commons stages without debate or amendment:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...-4F01-9FB4-B9B1026333E6/BusinessWithoutDebate
From the article it seem they might introduce unpaid work(Used to be called slavery)and social credit scoring. Tbh Gauke probably got the gig because Sue Gray is gone.

From September -
Insiders denied suggestions circulating in Whitehall that Gauke’s candidacy, which is understood to have the backing of current justice secretary Shabana Mahmood, and Starmer himself, was being blocked by Starmer’s chief of staff, Sue Gray. https://theguardian.com/politics/20...nister-david-gauke-for-sentencing-review-role

It was a consolidation bill so you wouldn't have amendments. It's a HoL bill with minimal debate. The sentencing review should lead to much more substantive reform.

Is the Alton School not the one that gets debunked every single time you reference it?

As I know parents who had kids at the school ill go with the first hand accounts of the situation over the opinion of a virtually homemade left wing news website thanks.

As I know parents who had kids at the school ill go with the first hand accounts of the situation over the opinion of a virtually homemade left wing news website thanks.

All good. I’m sure most would disregard emotional first hand accounts of parents in the face of three years of annual accounts and dwindling enrollment numbers.