We are an averagely coached team

I think its mostly as a response to the Brentford game that he's asked de Gea to stop playing out from the back. I don't think its just a de Gea issue either, I think our entire defense and midfield isn't particularly press resistant yet. I think it'll come with time, in the meantime - why keep risking conceding when you don't have to?

There's a few players that aren't great when pressed, but you can lessen those flaws.

We've seen periods of us playing well or bypassing the press. It just needs to be more consistent.

So basically a whole new spine?
Spine was probably the wrong word. As a passing CB which we have, DM which we have, wide playmaker whuch we have now have etc are also part of a spine from one perspective.

The spine.
Ball playing GK
Midfield playmaker
Am who can retain and link play
CF who can combine and hold up the ball

I think a RB is more urgent than a CF if Martial can stay fit(big IF though). And I think Eriksen can fit one of those midfielder roles you mention. We definitely need another metronomic midfielder though.

Sancho/Rashford-Martial-Antony

new CM-Eriksen/Bruno
Casemiro

Shaw/Malacia-Martinez-Varane-New RB
New GK

Not that far off a fully settled XI that fits ETH's image.

6 games into it and there are a lot of positive signs. Still a lot of room for improvement though and like ETH said post match good is not good enough .

I think a RB is more urgent than a CF if Martial can stay fit(big IF though). And I think Eriksen can fit one of those midfielder roles you mention. We definitely need another metronomic midfielder though.

new CM-Eriksen/Bruno
Casemiro

New GK

Yeah RB is huge despite Dalots form.

But I was just speaking from a possesion retention pov.

Yeah De Gea is a huge problem. It's likely that ETH doesn't trust him to play short as well, but there's so many instances where De Gea aimlessly punts it up the field.

It's hard to play out from the back when your GK isn't great at doing so. It starts from him. Same thing with pressing on the front foot. If your striker(usually the first line of pressing) doesn't commit to it, the entire system collapses.

Once we replace De Gea with a modern sweeper keeper and add in another midfielder that's a good ball carrier/playing between the lines, we'll improve tremendously.
Who’s Ajax goalie or previous goalie? Maybe we can sign VDS to be our TD-GK Coach

Yeah De Gea is a huge problem. It's likely that ETH doesn't trust him to play short as well, but there's so many instances where De Gea aimlessly punts it up the field.

It's hard to play out from the back when your GK isn't great at doing so. It starts from him. Same thing with pressing on the front foot. If your striker(usually the first line of pressing) doesn't commit to it, the entire system collapses.

Once we replace De Gea with a modern sweeper keeper and add in another midfielder that's a good ball carrier/playing between the lines, we'll improve tremendously.
Agreed.

From what i'm seeing, ten Hag has adopted a fast transition play style and building play via the keeper isn't a option. So DdG is kicking it long and we're looking to win the second ball via pressing high or pressing in a mid block or pressing in a low block. So when the ball is won via the press, the aim is to play the vertical pass straight away. So if the opposition is leaving space in behind, the chances of getting exposed is always going to be there. And I wouldn't say it's reactive football but rather proactive football, because we're actively trying to force a turnover of the ball to then hurt the opposition whilst they're out of position.

With Klopp and Guardiola, they took over from managers (Rodgers & Pellegrini) who had implemented a high intensity play style (Rodgers) or a possession based play style in Pellegrini's case which had created the foundation for both Klopp and Guardiola to work with. Ten Hag is trying to create that foundation himself because we haven't successfully implemented a high intensity play style since Fergie was at the club.

Rashford and Sancho scoring, Dalot improving, McTominay keeping Casemiro on the bench. Something has definitely improved and that is the coaching. If even our over the hill Ronaldo starts firing on all cylinders, that will be the ultimate proof.

Rashford and Sancho scoring, Dalot improving, McTominay keeping Casemiro on the bench. Something has definitely improved and that is the coaching. If even our over the hill Ronaldo starts firing on all cylinders, that will be the ultimate proof.
I think EtH change McT's reponsibility from carry the ball forward to simply sit back to protect the back line thus minimizing the risk of losing the ball in the middle park and covering his weakness.

Why can't we just hope Dalot fulfilling his potential as highly rated RB in his age group?
I'm not convinced by Dalot to be honest. He's been excellent these last few games and huge credit to him but I'd still add another attack minded RB to the mix. We can't have one anyway. Let's see how he does till the end of the year. Hope he keeps improving.

Did you not watch EtH’s post match interviews?
Nobody goes out there aiming to get a certain percentage of possession. They go out to hope to move the ball around, be comfortable in possession and try to create chances. And we did that. Yeah they had more possession control for some phases but they didn't create all that much. Us on the other hand, were much more potent and decisive when we had the ball. That is absolutely what a manager wants. That's what Arteta was crying out for after the game in the presser - the need to be brave on the ball and make those pin point passes like Bruno, Eriksen, and Rashford made.

Obviously when they're chasing a game they become a lot more ponderous on the ball and try to keep possession more and we let them because we were in a comfortable shape, but that doesn't not mean it wasn't out plan.

My post wasn't actually in reference to the Arsenal game, it was in reference to the Liverpool game. Someone just bumped it up from last week.

That said, I don't have an issue with us sitting deep. I actually applaud EtH for being flexible with his strategies. We're clearly still in transition to a new way of playing, and changes must be gradual. We clearly improving immensely out of possession, but there's still a lot of work to do while in possession. Even if we want the opponent to have the ball as an intended gameplan, letting them have 70% of it for large parts of the game is too much for me because that means we just can't find a way to relieve the pressure at key moments.

All in all, a work still in progress. I'm not panicked :)

The first two losses were the best thing to happen to us and ETH. Especially the 4-0 loss.

Having the same group of players +2 would have been a disaster. And then looking at Rabiot and Arnautovic added was just insane. The loss to Brentford had ETH change his thoughts clearly. He dropped a few players who needed dropping
THe targets went from the two mentioned above to signing Casemiro and Anthony.
HE did that 'run' after the brentford loss on that sunday (and apparently did it himself). It showed everybody who is boss. It could have gone wrong for sure, but was worth it cos I dont think it could have gotten lower. Since then we are looking solid defensively. DDG whilst still shit in possession, has a more no nonsense approach which sucks in one way, but less likely to be hit as we got a chance to win the ball higher up field.

We need to improve more before we can dominate games against good opponents. You can see the goal is playing out from the back when possible, and De Gea is doing it when there is low risks.

Against Brentford, his decision making was terrible. He was told to go long when pressed.

When we dominate more, his playing out the back will be less important. It is when being pressed, we need a gk better with his feet.

It’s amazing how much a good coaching set up helps the team. There’s massive improvements in pretty much all the team… dalot looks insane! Mctominay is turning into a beast. Rashford gets the nod to start upfront and he’s started scoring goals. I like the fact ten Hag knows who and when to do the changes. Fred coming on yesterday nearly led to us scoring a goal after he pressed high up the pitch. Hope this can be the start of something good… win as many games as possible and see what position we finish. This is only the start of the rebuild.

We deserve this after what we've had to endure. Even though our possession play still needs some work it looks like we are finally coming to the end of the static slow zombie passing that plagued this team for a decade.

Now we are seeing how important coaching is, I feel like we got used to mediocrity that many of us here completely forgot how important it is to have a system and players play within that system with a good coach like ETH in charge. Many of us were quick to blame it all on the players (and rightly so at times). This is only the beginning, with time, it would become second nature to players and we’ll start controlling games, obviously there will be many challenges and teams will counter our style of play, but I think ETH got what it takes to take us places.

We deserve this after what we've had to endure. Even though our possession play still needs some work it looks like we are finally coming to the end of the static slow zombie passing that plagued this team for a decade.

I think not having a CF that the ball can stick to is one of the biggest issues with not being able to play possession ball.

I remember in pre season with Martial, we looked alot better on the ball because he was very good at holding up the ball.

We are surely on the way to become a brilliantly coached team. ETH is doing an excellent job on all fronts

we are definitely that and it will only get better when we lose the likes of Jones etc and get in players that ETH wants. This in turn will hopefully increase the competitiveness within the squad and create a team of fighters as there have been a number of players who have been sitting on fat contracts not doing enough to deserve it

The transformation of Dalot, Varane and Mac has been amazing. Varane was just a question of fitness but the other two are like new players

There's been shades here and there so far, peppered with hiccups too but that just now was the clearest indicator that it's starting to take hold

Dominated probably 90% of the game. Played on the front foot at all times, hunted the ball like dogs and kept a clean sheet against arguably the best striker in the league denying him even the faintest of chances

Absolutely first class stuff

De Gea can sweep. Rashford can head the ball. Shaw looks back to his best. Dalot is now Lilian Thuram.

There might be something to this coaching lark.

De Gea can sweep. Rashford can head the ball. Shaw looks back to his best. Dalot is now Lilian Thuram.

There might be something to this coaching lark.
And Ronaldo can press!

I think circumstances favors ETH with the teams on their lowest form and have little to no bargaining power. It's his way or the highway.

If ETH comes after Jose or LVG the story could have been different.

Overall I'm confidence with the team. Games won games lost but team play and tactical solidity is permanent. The points will come.

Football is a game of statistics, if you're better than most of the rest it'll average out and we'll come on top.

new CM-Eriksen/Bruno
Casemiro

New GK

Break the bank for Enzo Fernandez. He's an engine and you'd have Lucha right behind him so there's that Argentinian link up.

------------- Bruno ---------------

----- Casemiro --- Enzo -----

Break the bank for Enzo Fernandez. He's an engine and you'd have Lucha right behind him so there's that Argentinian link up.

Would you prioritise over a number 9 though?

I don't trust Martial (as good as he is when fit) so no I won't pick him over a decent striker at this point in time. This is just a hopeful scenario after the club is sold to owners who want to invest heavily in the club, that we scoop up these top talents like Enzo.

This squad is properly drilled. Gone are the days when tactics seem rotating around smiling and high fiving

We look super solid. Not many teams managed to trouble us at the back or even create many chances. No we get better at taking our chances and we look a superb team

Depends… if we can get morata/Felix on a season long loan next season then spend most of the budget on Enzo. I think that works. Baring in mind we still need a rb aswell.

Gone were the days of boring sideway passing and waiting for a moment of individual brilliance to win a match.

The team is now exciting to watch and many goals scored were proper team goals.

When you say break the bank, how much are you talking?

Not sure if stats will back this up, but we seem to creating more chances, though. Just need to be more clinical, which ten Hag has alluded to quite a few times this season.
We would be fighting for the title if we had a decent return rate/striker.