WC All-time All-Stars 2nd Round Polaroid vs Crappy/Pippa

Who will win this game based on the World Cup peak of all players?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annahnomoss

I voted Crappy previously considering the fact that the central areas are very even and debatable whereas the wings are all in Crappys favor. Garrincha is almost as good of a player as Maradona and he isn't getting marked out instead it seems like Pol has focused on shutting out Kopa/Fontaine who aren't the best threat anyhow.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I went through the whole thread again and I'm going with Crappy here. I love his proven partnerships in midfield. Shutting down Kopa really is difficult and even if it happens, there's simply no way that you can keep Garrincha from receiving the ball, simple passes like Dunga is capable of playing are more than enough to give the ball to a wide player. And I'm not sold on the Rivaldo and Maradona connection here.

But it's really really close and I probably wouldn't vote, if it was still a draw, but I hope Crappy gets the comeback he deserves for his brilliant team. Sorry Pol & Aldo, you really have a brilliant team, no doubt, like I said before, both are arguably the 2 strongest teams in the competition and most likely would have gone through against anyone else.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I have not tried to portray Vogts as an attacking full back. Far from it. All discussions about him have actually been about his defensive duties.
I only said that if he is free when my team is in possession, he will help Garrincha out. Did I say he will be creating chances or camping out on the opposition half? No. But it is bizarre if you think he won't make a single forward run.

Next the tactical mistake I supposedly have made with Passsarella. Have I said that Passarella would be constantly going forward? It is obvious against likes of Eusbeio he will primarily be doing his first duty. I only pointed out if he did go forward, Krol, Dunga/Silva can provide cover, not to mention Vogts tucking in. What's next? Any time a defender comes forward for a corner, it is a certain CA goal for the other team? THERE HAS BEEN NO SPECIFIC TACTICAL INSTRUCTION FOR PASSARELLA TO JOIN THE ATTACK ON MOST TIMES
Christ crappy, calm down. You took a post where I one-line agreed with Pol on something and then wrote an entire paragraph defending your CM, and somehow end up writing in big caps.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Meh 3 down with 8 minutes to do. Good game Pol. Was always going to be a tough ask against your team.

antohan

I think the point about Moore not being at his peak in 1970 is really a red herring. He ran a tight ship in Mexico, one that restricted a free-scoring Brazil to a single goal (the only defence in the tournament to stop them from hitting three or more). If anything it backs up and supports Moore's status that he has two strong tournaments to call on (like Dunga or Ronaldo for example).
It's all getting a bit funny, isn't it? The guy had a great game but we are supposed to ignore the clip because it wasn't his peak one? Where did celebrating the great players in the draft go? That clip is one of the highlights of the thread, I was a bit bored of the arguments and that got me thinking "Yes, that's the Moore I know, defending like a beast and running like a granny". :drool:

antohan

I'm completely clueless who to go for, honestly. A draw reflects the game very well, imo. At the moment, I slightly prefer Crappy because of the proven partnerships and because calling the Vogts and Passarella comments 'tactical mistakes' was very harsh. Those were more reactions to very specific extreme situations that rarely appear anyway than actual tactical decisions to use regularly. Don't really understand why there was so much focus on them. It's not enough to make a decision at the moment, though and I happily enjoy another penalty shootout if it's still a draw in the end :).

Both teams are quality, really, great job drafting and unlucky that you faced each other in this round.
Agree with the sentiment. It's a tight game, but I do have a feeling crappy has had to put up with a fair bit of flak over defensive arrangements (it was confusing, mind). Experience has also shown through with crappy barking up a few wrong trees and Pol using that to bang on about the likes of Moore, etc... and continue ignoring that as well as Kopa or Maradona, there is the "minor" issue of Mané Garrincha.

Well played!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Congrats Aldo and Pol, great game. Really unlucky for Crappy, would have loved to see this game in a penalty shootout :).

Polaroid

Whew! narrow hard fought win over a skilfully assembled team by Crappy, it could have gone either way so thanks to all the votes and feedback

Polaroid

Good game Crappy, I am sure you will return an even more formidable opponent next time with this experience. pity about the voter turnout I blame mata

Annahnomoss

Just want to highlight the fact that both teams were great and very even. The discussions in the thread has been really mature and there hasn't been anybody tossing shit around.

Great job guys and congrats to Pol for making it through, both of you deserve to be in a semi-final.

antohan

Good game Crappy, I am sure you will return an even more formidable opponent next time with this experience. pity about the voter turnout I blame mata
What about the four missed penos? :lol:

I'm a bit miffed my breaking the news has gone unnoticed, I should get a "Caf ITK" tag. Hilarious how everyone follows every media outlet, twitter, etc. for days and I just sit there watching our game and wind up being the first to know because ESPN Latam get there before every single British media outlet :lol:

Polaroid

What about the four missed penos? :lol:

I'm a bit miffed my breaking the news has gone unnoticed, I should get a "Caf ITK" tag. Hilarious how everyone follows every media outlet, twitter, etc. for days and I just sit there watching our game and wind up being the first to know because ESPN Latam get there before every single British media outlet :lol:
:lol: We do suck at penalties, Moscow was one of the few times we actually prevailed
So who are we signing next Anto?;)

antohan

:lol: We do suck at penalties, Moscow was one of the few times we actually prevailed
So who are we signing next Anto?;)
I thought considering the aggro so far it is about time you get Garrincha to play for you.

Polaroid

Well done Crappy/Pippa. Congrats Pol.

This is one of the game, where voting for one team is like a crime against the other. So even. I feel guilty!
Thank you for making the hard judgement call Absolute
You have to join us in the next fantasy tourney

Thisistheone

Shit I missed the end. Sorry.

I probably would have gone for Pol anyway so wouldn't have made a difference. Well done to both managers.

antohan

So what do you make of the dynamics in a Maradona Garrincha partnership?
I don't think they work well at all personally and would also prefer an Hernández-like poacher in the box taking advantage of the chaos Garrincha would cause. Yes, Eusebio is a great complete centre-forward, but both Garrincha and Maradona would be best served by someone whose expertise is operating inside the box and as a finisher. Funny how that turned out, I think you and Theon got your pre-72 strikers the wrong way around TBH.

Polaroid

I don't think they work well at all personally and would also prefer an Hernández-like poacher in the box taking advantage of the chaos Garrincha would cause. Yes, Eusebio is a great complete centre-forward, but both Garrincha and Maradona would be best served by someone whose expertise is operating inside the box and as a finisher. Funny how that turned out, I think you and Theon got your pre-72 strikers the wrong way around TBH.
How about Ronaldo-Maradona?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I thought both games finished this evening.. Doh! Was going to vote for Pol anyway, but only after alot of thinking. Its getting harder and harder to separate the teams in these drafts which is affecting voter turnout imo.

Annahnomoss

I think it was your AM who had issues with that! :lol:

If you ask me, Romario is your man, but don't hold it against me! :nervous:
That type of player is what you need and is there any finer than him? Maybe Fontaine would suit it well too.

antohan

Wasn't it you saying Ronaldo's runs and Maradona weren't compatible? Maybe someone else then. Still, the point stands, Maradona's most effective partnerships have never been forged with players like Eusebio or Ronaldo, and that was not just due to the obvious scarcity of such talent. He needs a referencia de área, and Romario in particular would be ideal. I'm not sure which of them two would delight me the most TBH, pure sex.

Moby

Dick
Wasn't it you saying Ronaldo's runs and Maradona weren't compatible? Maybe someone else then. Still, the point stands, Maradona's most effective partnerships have never been forged with players like Eusebio or Ronaldo, and that was not just due to the obvious scarcity of such talent. He needs a referencia de área, and Romario in particular would be ideal. I'm not sure which of them two would delight me the most TBH, pure sex.
Pretty sure it wasn't me.

I don't see an issue with Ronaldo, not that we have discussed any targets yet. Thing is he has two top World Cups at his name. Which one do we see, is up to the manager. In 98 he was the Ronaldo we know, taking on defenders, running at them at full pelt and all while in 02 he was more an out and out goal machine flourishing with the creativity coming from Rivaldo and Ronaldinho while he mainly provided top quality finishing.

Not that I am saying 98 Ronaldo wouldn't fit with Maradona, but if you think he wouldn't there is a pretty decent alternative - one who found the net 8 times including 2 in the final.

antohan

I've always said despite loving the original Ronaldo, in this draft I'd have the 02 one. And yes, he would be a better fit in that case.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How about Ronaldo-Maradona?
I agree it's not a completely seamless fit with Eusebio and Maradona. But I wouldn't sacrifice Eusebio, even at 90% he's still better than pretty much any other striker. There's also the argument that with the stronger support, he has little need to drop and create for himself as he did so often in '66.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Good game Pol. Knew from beginning it was a bad draw for me, especially since Mane was up against the best left back of all time. I do think I could have won against some other teams :(

Pippa was a great help throughout and really majority of the stuff came from him. Hope he gets promoted soon

Polaroid

It was a draw that I dreaded too Crappy, fortunately for me I had Maldini and Moore on that side, 2 of the 4 greatest defenders of all time and I almost lost, that's how high Mane's peak was in 62 (second only to Maradona 86) and why he was so loved in Brazil with many ranking him ahead of Pele

Thanks to all for the feedback, esp Gio on Eusebio