Wayne Rooney | New Plymouth Head Coach

My wife's family are all Plymouth fans and are all convinced they'll be relegated by Christmas!

Said when he took this job it looked like another poor decision. Doesn't matter who's managing Plymouth, they're in a battle to stay up and it'll be even tougher if they lose Cooper as expected. I don't think it's fair to write him off after one game but that was a truly dreadful performance and would be rather alarming as a fan.

Sheffield Wednesday are a decent team though under Rohl, it's only a matter of time before a bigger side comes in for him.

How?

Coaches can choose to play whatever style they like, long as the teams balanced.
Because football tactics and understanding have massively changed over the years. It's become more technical, less individual, less risky, possession and the central midfield has continually become more important. The details and organisation of team tactics are far beyond what they used to be.

My wife's family are all Plymouth fans and are all convinced they'll be relegated by Christmas!
If they lose Cooper in the coming weeks they're toast, if Sunday isn't a fluke even he won't be able to save them.

What's strange is in recent years they've been a really well run club which is how they've gone from the brink of non league back up to the Champ (and at one point last season were outsiders for play offs until Gerrards ex assiatants hatchet job) but ever since Schumacher left them for Stoke it's been one bizarre decision after another.

If they lose Cooper in the coming weeks they're toast, if Sunday isn't a fluke even he won't be able to save them.

What's strange is in recent years they've been a really well run club which is how they've gone from the brink of non league back up to the Champ (and at one point last season were outsiders for play offs until Gerrards ex assiatants hatchet job) but ever since Schumacher left them for Stoke it's been one bizarre decision after another.

Rooney picks some terrible jobs. Hope he does well but another failure will probably end his managerial career

Rooney is suffering what Lampard and Gerrard did before him. People clinging on to hope they will make great coaches like they were players. He will sadly only get exposed more and more. I know he's desperate to make it as a manager but it's no shame if he doesn't. Hopefully he realises it soon and saves himself the misery.

His post match remarks after the game sounded so much like what Gerrard was spewing week in, weke out at Villa. Until a competent manager comes in, and suddenly the same team is transformed.

Neville will have him on the Overlap. He's a good addition tbh, normally good for a few stories.

He needs to stop doing that, it'll make Plymouth fans think he's not taking the job seriously.

I enjoy him being on there, I think he's an interestingly odd chap but the it won't be a good look if he's giggling on there chatting about the old days while Plymouth are dropping points.

Sheffield United have robbed them there unless they have an obscene sell on, even factoring in it being the last year of his deal. They'll need to get a replacement (Conor Hazard isn't good enough at that level from what I've seen and heard) that will eat into most of that.

The only question mark for him is fitness, bar that the minute he hits PL level he'll be in the England squad within months.

Rooney is suffering what Lampard and Gerrard did before him. People clinging on to hope they will make great coaches like they were players. He will sadly only get exposed more and more. I know he's desperate to make it as a manager but it's no shame if he doesn't. Hopefully he realises it soon and saves himself the misery.
Lampard was a different situation because in his first year with us there was a lot of muscle memory left from Sarri's training which meant we had some quite outstanding games attack wise which made it look like he was genuinely a really promising manager.

It was once said muscle memory eased off the unfortunate truth became apparent.

Good win tonight. Hope they can kick on now

Sheffield United have robbed them there unless they have an obscene sell on, even factoring in it being the last year of his deal. They'll need to get a replacement (Conor Hazard isn't good enough at that level from what I've seen and heard) that will eat into most of that.

The only question mark for him is fitness, bar that the minute he hits PL level he'll be in the England squad within months.
Rooney could give United a call, Vitek looks a decent keeper.

His post match remarks after the game sounded so much like what Gerrard was spewing week in, weke out at Villa. Until a competent manager comes in, and suddenly the same team is transformed.

TBF you can't even spell so you shouldn't be judging how someone articulates themselves too harshly.

I know he’s not had a huge impact anywhere but he is very harshly judged because of who he is. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen any ex player take the flack he has going into management.
I don’t think he’s gone into any job where the club has been in a good place.
He came and left Derby and they were an utter mess the whole time he was there off the pitch. He kept them up and then they went on to get relegated (with -21 points)and stayed in league one for two years with him not there. Derby fans rate him…

There’s a lot of talk about how Birmingham were 6th when he was sacked but it was a false position. Birmingham were a fecking mess and even though he left halfway through the season, between Mowbray and Rowett (two solid championship level managers) they still got relegated. Their league finishes were like 19th/20th season in season out.
And now at Plymouth, they literally stayed up on the final day. He’s gone there and what people are suddenly expecting them to be playoff contenders? So they got hammered on day one. It’s one game. Think some of the media need to lay off him.

I know he’s not had a huge impact anywhere but he is very harshly judged because of who he is. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen any ex player take the flack he has going into management.
He came and left Derby and they were an utter mess the whole time he was there off the pitch. He kept them up and then they went on to get relegated (with -21 points)and stayed in league one for two years with him not there. Derby fans rate him…

There’s a lot of talk about how Birmingham were 6th when he was sacked but it was a false position. Birmingham were a fecking mess and even though he left halfway through the season, between Mowbray and Rowett (two solid championship level managers) they still got relegated. Their league finishes were like 19th/20th season in season out.
And now at Plymouth, they literally stayed up on the final day. He’s gone there and what people are suddenly expecting them to be playoff contenders? So they got hammered on day one. It’s one game. Think some of the media need to lay off him.

Yeah, I think this is a more fair balance of his career. I do think though this is poor career judgement on Rooney's part too however. He's not taking the easy route. In one sense that is to be admired but each job he takes is one where he's at risk of relegation or taking huge criticism.

Has he received a lot of flack from the media?

I didn't see anyone critical of his Derby stint. Yes he couldn't keep them up but everyone knew that would have been miracle, all I saw wa sympathy for his efforts.

Birmingham was a shitshow. Not all his fault but he failed for sure.

Agreed too early to comment on Plymouth.

I'd say, overall, the media have been pretty supportive and forgiving of his managerial career.

Yeah, I think this is a more fair balance of his career. I do think though this is poor career judgement on Rooney's part too however. He's not taking the easy route. In one sense that is to be admired but each job he takes is one where he's at risk of relegation or taking huge criticism.
Yuh he’s definitely not been “street smart” with the jobs he’s taken but yeah it can be admired because he clearly has a massive drive to manage and is willing to risk his reputation.
Has he received a lot of flack from the media?

I didn't see anyone critical of his Derby stint. Yes he couldn't keep them up but everyone knew that would have been miracle, all I saw wa sympathy for his efforts.

Birmingham was a shitshow. Not all his fault but he failed for sure.

Agreed too early to comment on Plymouth.

I'd say, overall, the media have been pretty supportive and forgiving of his managerial career.
Yeah the derby job he didn’t get criticised much but then after Birmingham there were quite a few ridiculing articles that came out and began referencing the Derby job. Win percentage comparing it to lampard, Gerrard etc and then there’s of course Simon Jordan. Phil McNulty wrote a piece about Rooneys managerial career being possibly over after the Birmingham job too.

Rooney picks some terrible jobs. Hope he does well but another failure will probably end his managerial career
I thought the Derby job was extremely well picked actually. He couldn't really lose as they were pretty much doomed to relegation anyway and they needed a lift. He did a pretty decent job and got praised for the job he did under those circumstances.

Then going back to USA to manage, I also thought was a good move as it kept him in active management and kept him in credit which he'd earned at Derby.

Taking the Birmingham job was a huge fluff though. I think he'd have been wiser doing what Ten Hag did years ago, and what Nistelrooy has done now, and taking an assistant job to learn for a while before jumping back into management.

TBF you can't even spell so you shouldn't be judging how someone articulates themselves too harshly.
I'll take this as a joke. Can't be a serious comment having read the whole of what I wrote and picked out an obvious weke (for week) typo as some sort of basis for judgement.

He would not be getting these jobs if he wasn't Wayne Rooney. To me he's being used as a publicity hire to generate interest in these clubs.

If this fails for him he should look to getting a reserve coach job somewhere. He needs to cut his coaching teeth properly and away from the limelight. Maybe we'd offer him a position with thr under 18's even.

Because football tactics and understanding have massively changed over the years. It's become more technical, less individual, less risky, possession and the central midfield has continually become more important. The details and organisation of team tactics are far beyond what they used to be.

Yes but the principles of play, general pitch size and basic idea remains. If coaches choose to be ultra detailed, that's up to them. I coach at a high level and keep things simple.

Yes but the principles of play, general pitch size and basic idea remains. If coaches choose to be ultra detailed, that's up to them. I coach at a high level and keep things simple.
The higher the level the more detail needed while keeping flexibility/adaptability. Only the best managers can do that in modern football.

First point on the board for Wayne. 1-1 v Hull.

Hull decent last season, just missing out on the playoffs. They did sell Greaves and Philogene for big money over the summer but were able to bring in a few too. Only time will tell if that's a good result. It's a monkey off his back at least.

85401641-13468243-Wayne_Rooney_has_given_his_opinion_on_which_Premier_League_midfi-a-16_1716911281056.jpg

not sure it will be a pretty sight

A very important 3-2 win against Sunderland who came to the match with a 100% record. 90+3’ winner.

They've been quietly decent since that opening day horror show.

Hopefully both parties being written off causes a siege mentality and keeps them up, because as is not usually the case with a superstar appointed Rooney needs Plymouth just as much as they need him, this is probably last chance saloon for him in management even this early so he needs it to work.