Wayne Rooney | New Plymouth Head Coach

It's hard to say how good of a manager he may or may not be because he just can't pick a job to save his life.

Every club he's gone to have been up to their necks in shit.
That only works if he's setting up to give the side the best chance of a result, that was one of the worst opening day performances I've ever seen.

And by the looks of it they may lose their best player to Sheffield United, very long season ahead.

These great players who want to manage should be an assistant somewhere and learn. It did Lego Pep wonders.

Hate to see Rooney losing.

Should take a prem assistant job ….may pay dividends in the long run.

He doesn't seem that bright. His teams always play very outdated football.

There's no such thing as outdated football as the principles will always be the same. Coaches can choose various styles of play

He's been fast tracked into football management and it's going to kill his career. He will fail with Plymouth, that was already certain before he even started out.

Hopefully he takes a step back and reconsiders things and accepts a assistant's role and takes some time away from the pressure seat. He's still a young man, he has time on his hands and this habit of taking impossible roles won't help him.

I can’t believe people aren’t advising him to avoid these sort of jobs. They’re nye on impossible for young managers in his position. That Plymouth job is for a chiselled football league journeyman manager who knows how to scrap results.

You're claiming Lampard is better than Rooney? :nervous:

He was parachuted into a PL side, twice, and was shite both times.

Lampard did well at very well at Derby and in his first stint at Chelsea, especially considering he was under a transfer ban. Sure Everton and Chelsea round 2 were awful but Wayne's been awful pretty much everywhere.

You're claiming Lampard is better than Rooney? :nervous:

He was parachuted into a PL side, twice, and was shite both times.

He did very well his first season at Chelsea, did decently well at Derby too.

A mile ahead of anything Rooney has shown in Management.

Lampard did well at very well at Derby and in his first stint at Chelsea, especially considering he was under a transfer ban. Sure Everton and Chelsea round 2 were awful but Wayne's been awful pretty much everywhere.

I think Lampard might be better than Rooney but would question how well Lampard did at Derby and how bad Rooney has been everywhere.

Lampard took Derby that finished 6th and finished 6th again with them. He matched Gary Rowett who left for Stoke. Average job.

We all know how bad Rooney had it at Derby. That 21 point deduction is the second highest in English football history, transfer embargo, he had 9 players over the summer etc. No team is dealing with that kind of deduction unless they're a huge fish in a small pond.

In the first season he kept them up when they weren't paying players and he took sole charge of the team when they had 6 points from 13 games after Cocu got the boot and a 2 game stint as co-manager with Given and Rosenior. Scrambling to safety when morale must have been on the floor gets some credit from me.

At DC United he left them in a slightly better position than the previous manager although not by much! They had 18 points from 20 when he got the gig 0.9 points per game, did feck all the rest of that season but there was slight improvement in his only full season. 40 points from 34 at 1.18 points per game. Was at least making baby steps in the right direction. They don't appear to be a very good club whoever is in charge, right now they have 26 points from 25 (1.04 per game) and are slipping back again.

Complete wank at Brum though.

Lampard did fine for me first season with Chelsea considering the transfer ban (still alowed to sign Kovacic) but was struggling in 10th by the time he left after it had been lifted and Tuchel arrived. They didn't go for the players he wanted either (Rice, Tarkowski, Aubameyang) but that's a theme with Chelsea/a lot of clubs nowadays.

Last edited:
Rooney took a team who were 6th when he took over down to say he is better than Lampard who nearly got Derby promoted from the same league is almost delusional
I'm not defending the job he did at Birmingham because it clearly wasn't good but far too much is made about them being 6th when he took over, they had played about 10 games and were like 3 points above 16th. They were still one of the pre season favourites to go down and had been on a run of no wins in five, before winning the last two games under Eustace which had bumped them from about 14th up to 6th IIRC.

I spoke to a Birmingham supporting mate at the time they appointed him and he said they were massively overachieving and expected them to still finish comfortably within the bottom half. I seem to remember him saying he expected them to start badly under Rooney because they had a horrible run of games coming up too.

Claiming Lampard did an alright job at Chelsea first time around is like claiming Moyes did an alright job at United as he was only confirmed out of the CL with 4 games to go.
They're both crap, it's like trying to compare which is worse, a kick in the left bollock or a punch in the right.

I think Lampard might be better than Rooney but would question how well Lampard did at Derby and how bad Rooney has been everywhere.

Lampard took Derby that finished 6th and finished 6th again with them. He matched Gary Rowett who left for Stoke. Average job.

We all know how bad Rooney had it at Derby. That 21 point deduction is the second highest in English football history, transfer embargo, he had 9 players over the summer etc. No team is dealing with that kind of deduction unless they're a huge fish in a small pond.

In the first season he kept them up when they weren't paying players and he took sole charge of the team when they had 6 points from 13 games after Cocu got the boot and a 2 game stint as co-manager with Given and Rosenior. Scrambling to safety when morale must have been on the floor gets some credit from me.

At DC United he left them in a slightly better position than the previous manager although not by much! They had 18 points from 20 when he got the gig 0.9 points per game, did feck all the rest of that season but there was slight improvement in his only full season. 40 points from 34 at 1.18 points per game. Was at least making baby steps in the right direction. They don't appear to be a very good club whoever is in charge, right now they have 26 points from 25 (1.04 per game) and are slipping back again.

Complete wank at Brum though.

Lampard did fine for me first season with Chelsea considering the transfer ban (still alowed to sign Kovacic) but was struggling in 10th by the time he left after it had been lifted and Tuchel arrived. They didn't go for the players he wanted either (Rice, Tarkowski, Aubameyang) but that's a theme with Chelsea/a lot of clubs nowadays.
They're both meh managers on the basis of their managerial careers so far.

Claiming Lampard did an alright job at Chelsea first time around is like claiming Moyes did an alright job at United as he was only confirmed out of the CL with 4 games to go.
Lampard finished 4th in his first season at Chelsea having made 0 signings

Lampard finished 4th in his first season at Chelsea having made 0 signings

Chelsea have 100s players on their books, most of which are out on loan at any one time, some of whom have been at Chelsea for 5 or more years and never even played for them. A lack of a transfer window gave them ample opportunity to use their squad.

Both Rooney and Lampard have made really strange managerial choices so far in their career.

Chelsea have 100s players on their books, most of which are out on loan at any one time, some of whom have been at Chelsea for 5 or more years and never even played for them. A lack of a transfer window gave them ample opportunity to use their squad.
Right, it’s just not true that it’s comparable to Moyes given he literally qualified for the CL.

Am I mixing something up or did Rooney look really promising as a coach in his first stint in England? Fighting a huge points deduction and nearly making it happen playing some good football

Am I mixing something up or did Rooney look really promising as a coach in his first stint in England? Fighting a huge points deduction and nearly making it happen playing some good football
He did, at Derby it was rather promising. I don't know about the US stint (but one poster mentioned it above), but Birmingham was an absolute car crash.

I wouldn't say really promising but he showed a little something, yes.

9 pro players on the books over the summer before, cobbled togehter the rest of the squad with free transfers and loans, and would have been on 55 points without the deduction. Not bad considering they got 44 the season before after he took them from bottom to just about surviving and had a considerably weaker squad for that second season.

They flirted with the possibility of being able to stay up at times but were never really closer than 6 or 7 points from safety, and the team they needed to catch (Reading) had 6 points deducted themselves which was helping them.

Would have been 17th and 8 points clear of relegation if nobody had points deducted. Half decent effort considering the state the club was in with the transfer embargo, the club selling anyone they could to raise some money and releasing others on free if they were on bigger contracts and couldn't afford to renew.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say really promising but he showed a little something, yes.

9 pro players on the books over the summer before, cobbled togehter the rest of the squad with free transfers and loans, and would have been on 55 points without the deduction. Not bad considering they got 44 the season before after he took them from bottom to just about surviving and had a considerably weaker squad for that second season.

They flirted with the possibility of being able to stay up at times but were never really closer than 6 or 7 points from safety, and the team they needed to catch (Reading) had 6 points deducted themselves which was helping them.

Would have been 17th and 8 points clear of relegation if nobody had points deducted. Half decent effort considering the state the club was in.

Saying it was a half decent effort feels like a bit of a disservice.