Wayne Rooney Appreciation Thread

Shocking that he is only 38, hard to believe when you look at him. Maybe all genetics but it is not inconceivable he could still be playing at a professional level with a different approach to taking care of himself.
Rooney was never the most professional of players, but that adds to his charm.

Bloke is top scorer of England and Man United and yet we all feel he could have been more.

A stupidly good player.

Players like Rooney can sometimes be a tactical headache but he was so good that he never, not even once was a tactical problem for us whether in the league or Europe. If SAF needed to play him as a lone striker, second striker or on the left he’d do it at such a high level.

A common saying that grinds my gears on here is when someone says a player needs a particular type of player “to get the best out of them”. Rooney could play with any striker and be effective or winger to be honest. Ronaldo and Valencia were very different but he had a great understanding with them both. Tevez, Chicharito and Saha were completely different strikers but Rooney had a unique partnership with each of them.

I still wish he was a bit more selfish and took his fitness more seriously. He left about a 100 goals on the table in my opinion and should have been even bigger. Can’t complain too much though because he still had a better career than most.
I don't know what value that sentence has when he was predestined to only be compared with greats and all-timers from practically the moment he made a name for himself. The bold was a given by default.

In the last 20 years, you can count on your hands (perhaps hand) how many players had a greater weight of expectation to become something outrageously good.

He’s really looking unwell.

It was by far the prevailing thought on here and across the Internet before C.Ronaldo exploded, evidenced by practically any thread on here (and across other fora) before a certain date in time. The retractions after the fact don't alter what was the reality.

Between injuries and not looking after himself, Rooney plateaued whilst C.Ronaldo was the perfect embodiment of application and dedication to his craft. Fortunately for ourselves and Rooney, his raw ability and God-given athleticism meant his plateau was still way, way, above even good footballers so not much was made of it, many even saying he still was fantastic whilst those of us who truly believed this guy had the potential to be a literal best ever type candidate were adamant that despite his accolades, he could have gone on to be a level or two up on what transpired.

The ultimate saying was: Rooney with C.Ronaldo's work ethic, what does that look like? And I think that's a top 10 player or so of all time, just like Cristiano went on to become.

Of the superstars of his own era, Rooney led by far the worst lifestyle and that was obvious in real time let alone with all the corroborations we're getting from himself and others on The Overlap, which are now humorous anecdotes, but must have been absolutely maddening for coaches and nutritionists etc. of the time. You've got this once in a century talent who doesn't really have any aspirations to maximise his potential. On the other hand, there's a player who obsesses about nothing but being the absolute best he can be and does everything in his power to have it manifest. What's probably even more disappointing is Rooney was there for every step of Ronaldo's transformation, and instead of having the competitive drive to try and stay ahead of him, he was OK with stepping aside and becoming a facilitator and runner for him, rather than thinking 'I have the more natural talent, and with a better lifestyle, could be challenging for ballon D'Ors myself.'

There should always be acknowledgement of all Rooney went onto achieve, as it isn't insignificant, but the caveat should also always be there that there was potentially a far higher ceiling for him than we saw - the player who looked a level above verses the best, most revered defenders and defensive setups on the planet - that Euro '04 Rooney who looked unstoppable in the purest form. The only question I have is whether it's spoon or egg. Was it due to the injuries that his application and dedication to his craft tapered or got waylaid, or was he always winging it in regard to looking after himself? As there's only so long you can get away with the latter.

Good post, but you're missing one big element as to why Rooney was not the perfect pro - mental health/resilience. He had a very typical council estate upbringing, he was drinking and have cigs since eleven. Fame hit him instantly at 16, and by 18 he was the nation's talisman. He had some embarrassing escapades and turbulence in his relationship that were front page news. His coping method was alcohol. In his early 20s this barely seemed to have a detrimental effect, but over time it takes a toll on an athletes performance.

Good post, but you're missing one big element as to why Rooney was not the perfect pro - mental health/resilience. He had a very typical council estate upbringing, he was drinking and have cigs since eleven. Fame hit him instantly at 16, and by 18 he was the nation's talisman. He had some embarrassing escapades and turbulence in his relationship that were front page news. His coping method was alcohol. In his early 20s this barely seemed to have a detrimental effect, but over time it takes a toll on an athletes performance.
I put 'not looking after himself,' which was intended to cover all the mischief and mishaps.

He's given insight into how much worse it was than was assumed at the time on The Overlap.

It wasn’t just drink as he'd come back to camp for preseason overweight with massive amounts of catch-up to do, which also puts a toll on the body.

Even if he has some bizarre accelerant in him that has him ageing well beyond his years now, as a footballer he really was blessed with phenomenal genes. Given how we now know just how much he was abusing his body, the output and contribution to games and campaigns as a whole he had are even more incredible. Smoking, drinking and overweight postseason. Usually we hear of a lane and one vice from the 3 being awful for a footballer, and Wayne was hitting all three. I don't know of anyone else of that level with the full house!

What a photo.

458918278_500705252566606_1406269855984368531_n.jpg

From the young lad in T90s to the old man in slippers like Puma Kings.

That's what really shows his age here.

All are United legends, but Giggs and Scholes played in the most winning period, among players with the most games, brought up by United and played for United throughout their careers. In my eyes, they are one step above Best, Beckham and Rooney.

Maybe you question why I put Best, Beckham and Rooney in the same legend category? I agree it may be debatable.

Ronaldo was off course the best player, but we are now talking about legends.

But hey… It’s only my opinion:)
I loved George he could pass the ball long with great accuracy, tackle and shoot. He is remembered for his dribbling but my god he was far more a player than that, he would be my favourite player by a country mile if it weren’t for the way he blotted his copy book with the club and Sir Matt.
Bobby Charlton gets my vote as the best player and biggest legend, such a great player in the middle of the park and only got booked once, a close second has to be The Law Man, what a character, gawd how I miss those days.

I put 'not looking after himself,' which was intended to cover all the mischief and mishaps.

He's given insight into how much worse it was than was assumed at the time on The Overlap.

It wasn’t just drink as he'd come back to camp for preseason overweight with massive amounts of catch-up to do, which also puts a toll on the body.

Even if he has some bizarre accelerant in him that has him ageing well beyond his years now, as a footballer he really was blessed with phenomenal genes. Given how we now know just how much he was abusing his body, the output and contribution to games and campaigns as a whole he had are even more incredible. Smoking, drinking and overweight postseason. Usually we hear of a lane and one vice from the 3 being awful for a footballer, and Wayne was hitting all three. I don't know of anyone else of that level with the full house!

Yeah I remember during his peak a poster (I think on here, might have been another forum) saying he was a takeaway driver and regularly delivered to Rooney's house.

I re-read your original post and agree completely, not sure what I misinterpreted at first.

I wonder how different his career could have been if he didn't have the English press hounding him, or if he'd come through a decade later when attitudes towards mental health were a bit different. On one hand he might have been able better equipped to stick to a healthy lifestyle. On the other hand, I wonder if the modern game's structured discipline on and off the pitch would have stifled the rage and creativity that made young Rooney (teens-early 20s) such a force.

I loved George he could pass the ball long with great accuracy, tackle and shoot. He is remembered for his dribbling but my god he was far more a player than that, he would be my favourite player by a country mile if it weren’t for the way he blotted his copy book with the club and Sir Matt.
Bobby Charlton gets my vote as the best player and biggest legend, such a great player in the middle of the park and only got booked once, a close second has to be The Law Man, what a character, gawd how I miss those days.
Agree.. Bobby Charlton is up there with Giggs and Scholes. My list wasn’t exhaustive. Just wanted to express my opinion: that it is only one very small group of legends above Rooney.

I will put Denis Law in the same group as Rooney and Best. Also Robson.
…. so Rooney is in good company:D Great Great player:+1:

Agree.. Bobby Charlton is up there with Giggs and Scholes. My list wasn’t exhaustive. Just wanted to express my opinion: that it is only one very small group of legends above Rooney.

I will put Denis Law in the same group as Rooney and Best. Also Robson.
…. so Rooney is in good company:D Great Great player:+1:
:+1: :+1:

If only he'd looked after himself better.
was almost in the bracket of Ronaldo and Messi for one season.
Brilliant player to watch on his day.

I had a remote job some 12 years ago or so. I wasn't familiar with football too much, but I would watch the Champions League during the week. I was captivated by Rooney, despite not knowing he was well past his prime. I could see his work rate, his reading of the game, and it looked like he played like sand paper. With grit. I wish I was able to see prime Rooney, but it led me on a journey to being the fan I am now.

If only he'd looked after himself better.
was almost in the bracket of Ronaldo and Messi for one season.
Brilliant player to watch on his day.
Force of nature especially at such a young age.

Had he not got injured at euro2004 and likely led England to victory he would be England’s greatest player by some distance. No English player since has come close to capturing what he had then; Bellingham nowhere close.

I loved him as a United player. Absolutely fearsome attacker, lived breathed and bled football. He won everything. He could have played longer at the top if he’d started yoga and veggie burgers and ice water, but who cares: he was a monster on the pitch, even as a teenager.

Absolutely loved him in the united shirt his on pitch performances had everything.

His work rate and will to win are what the benchmark should be to play for this club. When you add that to his incredible ability you realise how lucky we were to have him.

There were a few low points but when you consider the whole package they fade away and even during those periods he always left everything he had on the pitch.

Pace, power, aggression, work rate, will to win, passing range, shot technique, first touch you could go on and on.

He gave us his best years and was always willing to put the team first. For me he always seemed to be the man who produced when needed.

He was a player who never stopped, you could rely on him to fight through hard times and not let his head drop he literally had balls of steel.

Wayne Rooney - what a player

All geniuses are flawed. Rooney deserves to be a United Legend. No doubt in my mind