Wayne Rooney Appreciation Thread

Yeah, rewatching this, you forget how amazing he was. Good lord to have a player like this.

Absolutely brilliant player.

What’s amazing is that not only is he the third highest goal scorer in PL history, 208 behind Kane’s 213 and Shearer’s 260, but he’s also the fourth highest assist leader in PL history with 103. By comparison, Shearer had 64 and Harry Kane 46.

That’s 208 PL goals and 103 PL assists, for a player who wasn’t an out and out striker for large chunks of his career. He also only intermittently took penalties for United too. He scored 23 PL penalties, whereas Kane has 33, and Shearer a whopping 56.

People often forget that Rooney played a third or more of his career on the left or in midfield. And on top of his ridiculous goal contribution numbers, he was a player who always, ALWAYS, did what was best for the team. He had an incredible work rate, Wore his heart on his sleeve. Would okay anywhere, and could score any type of goal. He wasn’t selfish either.

Too many people only remember latter day Rooney, by the time he had lost his pace and Van Gaal was playing him as a CM. With the lament that he was washed up at 30/31. But this was a player who had been scoring in the PL since he was 16. He had so many hard miles in his legs.

Incredible player, and probably could have done even more if he’d been more disciplined with his lifestyle. Still, a central component of a golden era of this club. One of my favourite United players ever.

Absolutely brilliant player.

What’s amazing is that not only is he the third highest goal scorer in PL history, 208 behind Kane’s 213 and Shearer’s 260, but he’s also the fourth highest assist leader in PL history with 103. By comparison, Shearer had 64 and Harry Kane 46.

That’s 208 PL goals and 103 PL assists, for a player who wasn’t an out and out striker for large chunks of his career. He also only intermittently took penalties for United too. He scored 23 PL penalties, whereas Kane has 33, and Shearer a whopping 56.

People often forget that Rooney played a third or more of his career on the left or in midfield. And on top of his ridiculous goal contribution numbers, he was a player who always, ALWAYS, did what was best for the team. He had an incredible work rate, Wore his heart on his sleeve. Would okay anywhere, and could score any type of goal. He wasn’t selfish either.

Too many people only remember latter day Rooney, by the time he had lost his pace and Van Gaal was playing him as a CM. With the lament that he was washed up at 30/31. But this was a player who had been scoring in the PL since he was 16. He had so many hard miles in his legs.

Incredible player, and probably could have done even more if he’d been more disciplined with his lifestyle. Still, a central component of a golden era of this club. One of my favourite United players ever.
Prime Rooney was like having a 12th man. The lung busting efforts alone were worth the transfer fee, never mind all the history he created or records he broke!

Don't agree with your assumptions at all. Ten hagg said that with the current players he has he can not play like he did at Ajax. Because technically they aren't that good. If anything I think the opposite of you, technically players are worse now. It's more about being athletic.

Just compare our team from 2008 to now. Technically no comparison. I can't think of one player that is technically better in our current squad then anyone from 2008. We even used to have a segment called trick box on the man und web site. Haven't had that for a while now.

General play has improved? How so? Would 2009 Barcelona not destroy all teams out there right now? Even the current man city team?

Defending has improved? Our currant defense is brutal to watch. Do you not remeber how solid defensively we used to be. Our back line of Rio, vidic, and evra with who ever at rb was one of the best defenses I've ever seen.

Imagine a team today with Rooney, Ronaldo, and tevez as our Frontline. Technically far superior to anything we have right now.

A midfield of Scholes, Keane, and Carrick.

A backline of Neville, Ferdinand, vidic, and evra,

And in goal van Der Sar.

Our 2008 team was miles ahead in attacking, defending, general game play, passing, and technically superior to our current team.

If anything analytics have made the game worse. Where the players can't think what to do if something doesn't work so they recycle the ball. Because they don't know how to think for themselves. If anything general play is worse now then it's been for a long time.

Absolutely. Goal scoring has been made easier with the gradual changing of the offside rule, and the elimination of the back pass rule. Forwards are so much more protected now too from the physical elements of the game.

I was just watching a highlights reel of Rooney goals and they are just remarkable. A player who would grace any era. I saw the counter attacking goal that United scored against Bolton with Rooney and Ronaldo going from end to end in three passes and the blink of an eye and it’s better than any transition goal I’ve seen in the PL in years.

There's this assumption that new is better, but this whole era of ultra possession, Tiki taka, peaked with 2009-13 era Barcelona. Everything since then has been a lesser iteration of it. Gegenpressing is just lots of running around higher up the pitch. It’s hardly more technical and could’ve been deployed in any era. The 2008 United team was one of the most technical in PL history, and if playing in this era there is no way City would’ve won 6 in 7. None.

I thought this belongs in this thread. Didn't know Crouch rates Rooney so highly.

Gave me proper Keane gushing over Dennis Irwin vibes :lol:

I thought this belongs in this thread. Didn't know Crouch rates Rooney so highly.

Gave me proper Keane gushing over Dennis Irwin vibes :lol:

He should have made it tougher by including Shearer, Henry and Nistelrooy.

Drogba, Tevez, Haaland and Hojlund don’t belong in the conversation at all.

And still there are lots of people in the thread where i saw this on Reddit saying that both Suarez and Tevez were MUCH better players.

It's not a conversation. It's a game made to encourage engagement on social media. That's literally it. Nothing to do with the actual content.

The best player United have had for the 21st Century.

Jersey number 8 Rooney was Peak United Footballer; Absolute Talent, Full commitment, unwavering desire, delivering when it mattered most.

For this moment alone, all his sins are forgiven, against a defence line of Maldini, Nesta,

Peak Rooney

Whoever saw this Live in the stadium, I envy you

I sometimes laugh at the thought that in my lifetime Man Utd had a squad that had Wayne Rooney, Roy Keane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy all at once.

Did I say laugh? I meant cry.

The best player United have had for the 21st Century.

Jersey number 8 Rooney was Peak United Footballer; Absolute Talent, Full commitment, unwavering desire, delivering when it mattered most.

For this moment alone, all his sins are forgiven, against a defence line of Maldini, Nesta,

Peak Rooney

Whoever saw this Live in the stadium, I envy you

He was absolutely class but behind Scholes for me.

I sometimes laugh at the thought that in my lifetime Man Utd had a squad that had Wayne Rooney, Roy Keane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy all at once.

Did I say laugh? I meant cry.
Keane and Giggs were well past their prime though.

Keane and Giggs were well past their prime though.
Both were but then Giggs reinvented himself and became world class again.

He may be a cnut but he's my favourite United player of all time and it's not even close to the 2nd.

He was absolutely class but behind Scholes for me.
Scholes is a 20th Century player... Come through in 1990's.

From 2001 to date.. Rooney is above everyone who came to United. Ronaldo second tier below.
Then Rio, Vidic top the other group below

Scholes is a 20th Century player... Come through in 1990's.

From 2001 to date.. Rooney is above everyone who came to United. Ronaldo second tier below.
Then Rio, Vidic top the other group below
Scholes played for us longer in the 21st century than the 20th ffs.

You said the best player we had for the 21st century. Your words not mine.

Doesn't matter which century we're talking, peak Rooney was better than peak Scholes.

Tevez no chance. Suarez was but I think Suarez is probably the best striker of his generation anyways (and Rooney was never a true 9 tbf apart from a year or two)
Suarez was the better striker/CF, but Rooney was just the better player.

I still remember that after Ronaldo left in 2009 and Rooney became our main CF, he looked world class and unplayable. That injury against Bayern and Sir Alex rushing him for the return leg is what robbed Rooney of his explosiveness. He was just never the same player again.

Rooney didn't get to a season like Suarez at Liverpool but imagine rooney playing with Messi and Neymar.

Tevez no chance. Suarez was but I think Suarez is probably the best striker of his generation anyways (and Rooney was never a true 9 tbf apart from a year or two)

Suarez is one of the greatest #9s who ever lived...I get that he played for Liverpool and is a massive cnut, but putting him over Rooney isn't controversial IMO...and I probably rate Rooney higher than most.

Tevez was nowhere near either of them, though. Doesn't belong in these conversations at all.

What I would do to have a player like him in our team again. My favourite United player ever.

Legend

Rooney > Ronaldo
Giggs and Scholes > Rooney
Best = Beckham = Rooney

My favorite United player along with Scholes of all time. How lucky we were to watch him play for United

All are United legends, but Giggs and Scholes played in the most winning period, among players with the most games, brought up by United and played for United throughout their careers. In my eyes, they are one step above Best, Beckham and Rooney.

Maybe you question why I put Best, Beckham and Rooney in the same legend category? I agree it may be debatable.

Ronaldo was off course the best player, but we are now talking about legends.

But hey… It’s only my opinion:)

Last edited:
All are United legends, but Giggs and Scholes played in the most winning period, among players with the most games, brought up by United and played for United throughout their careers. In my eyes, they are one step above Best, Beckham and Rooney.

Maybe you question why I put Best, Beckham and Rooney in the same legend category? I agree it may be debatable.

Ronaldo was off course the best player, but we are now talking about legends.

But hey… It’s only my opinion:)
I think people are more confused by your unorthodox equation setup, and not necessarily your picks.

Although I'd argue that Best and Ronaldo could be seen as top legends as they are among the only four United players who won the Ballon d'Or while at United, and deservedly so. (Apologies for forgetting Law and Charlton!)

Sir Bobby Charlton should also be on that list, and he is arguably the biggest legend of them all.

Anyway, these will always be subjective. I like your picks of Giggs and Scholes. Hard to argue with that, although I think Charlton, Ronaldo and Best all could easily take the top spot as well.

I know many will frown at Ronaldo, but what he did in a United shirt between 2006-2008 is arguably the very best we've ever seen from any United player ever. Not to mention his debut against Bolton. We've never seen one player get so many people off their seats. Even his second debut vs Newcastle is one of the most memorable and electric moments in our modern history. I'd easily say he is not only a Real Madrid legend, but a United legend.

Many would probably pick players like Robson and Cantona as well. Hard to argue with those, too. Schmeichel also gets many a shout. Irwin flies under the radar, but is one of our best ever players. No one matches his consistency at the highest level. Gary Neville is also a true club legend. Roy Keane, no need to explain why. Ruud van Nistelrooy deserves a shout as well, as he was by far our best ever out-and-out striker.

Last edited:
I think people are more confused by your unorthodox equation setup, and not necessarily your picks.

Although I'd argue that Best and Ronaldo could be seen as top legends as they are the only two United players who won the Ballon d'Or while at United, and deservedly so.

Sir Bobby Charlton should also be on that list, and he is arguably the biggest legend of them all.

Anyway, these will always be subjective. I like your picks of Giggs and Scholes. Hard to argue with that, although I think Charlton, Ronaldo and Best all could easily take the top spot as well.

I know many will frown at Ronaldo, but what he did in a United shirt between 2006-2008 is arguably the very best we've ever seen from any United player ever. Not to mention his debut against Bolton. We've never seen one player get so many people off their seats. Even his second debut vs Newcastle is one of the most memorable and electric moments in our modern history. I'd easily say he is not only a Real Madrid legend, but a United legend.

Many would probably pick players like Robson and Cantona as well. Hard to argue with those, too. Schmeichel also gets many a shout. Irwin flies under the radar, but is one of our best ever players. No one matches his consistency at the highest level. Gary Neville is also a true club legend. Roy Keane, no need to explain why. Ruud van Nistelrooy deserves a shout as well, as he was by far our best ever out-and-out striker.
Eh? You might want to check the Ballon d'Or winners list.

He was so good as a teenager that the nickname "White Pele" was bang on

He was so complete, right ? Much like the first Ronaldo. In the sense they had everything a top player needed.

Think Rooney's development after his first two United seasons might have been slightly slowed due to C.Ronaldo's importance to the team.

Wonder if he would have had more seasons like 2009/2010 had Cristiano not been there.

Unlike the first Ronaldo, Rooney never had any serious knee injuries so you wonder what he could have achieved.

One of the best english players ever. If not the best. Had everything and more. Individual brilliance and at same time almost perfect teamwork. Underrated by many.