Wayne Rooney Appreciation Thread

He was so complete, right ? Much like the first Ronaldo. In the sense they had everything a top player needed.

Think Rooney's development after his first two United seasons might have been slightly slowed due to C.Ronaldo's importance to the team.

Wonder if he would have had more seasons like 2009/2010 had Cristiano not been there.

Unlike the first Ronaldo, Rooney never had any serious knee injuries so you wonder what he could have achieved.

I couldn't name many better teenagers than him in world football ever. If he didn't went down injured in QF I think England takes that Euro 2004 in Portugal.

As for other points, agree, without Ronaldo, young Rooney would individually get more praise. On the other hand, without a player like Rooney who even at his peak was willing to sacrifice so much for others, including Ronaldo, we would almost certainly never become such a brilliant team. United team from 2006 - 2009 was something else.

In any case, we were damn lucky to have him. Our Raging Bull.

Rooney from his United debut to around 2010 was truly world class and that's a term that gets bandied about too often on far lesser players.
He had pace, power, confidence, insane work rate and a bloody good finisher to boot. He was shunted all over the pitch but he never let the team down and to finish as United's top goalscorer is justification of his ability.
I don't think I truly realized how good he was until he began declining and it makes me think how incredibly lucky we were to have both himself and Ronaldo as teenagers who together became world class simultaneously. How long will it be till that happens again, if ever.

Rooney from his United debut to around 2010 was truly world class and that's a term that gets bandied about too often on far lesser players.
He had pace, power, confidence, insane work rate and a bloody good finisher to boot. He was shunted all over the pitch but he never let the team down and to finish as United's top goalscorer is justification of his ability.
I don't think I truly realized how good he was until he began declining and it makes me think how incredibly lucky we were to have both himself and Ronaldo as teenagers who together became world class simultaneously. How long will it be till that happens again, if ever.
Branthwaite and Yoro

Dont know what you got till it's gone ;)

One of the best english players ever. If not the best. Had everything and more. Individual brilliance and at same time almost perfect teamwork. Underrated by many.
I don't think he's underrated, he was unbelievable until around 2011. There are two niggles though, his form in his latter years when he was stinking the place out but still being picked, and a nagging "what could've been" had he looked after himself even a little bit.

My favorite player. Seeing Rooney in a United shirt again made me unreasonably happy and a little sad. So many players are born with natural talent but they don't have the determination that Rooney had. Combine that with his selflessness and we had the ultimate team player. He had good partnerships with so many forwards-RVN, Saha, Ole, Ronaldo, Chicha, Welbeck, RVP, Ibra etc.

Shocking that he is only 38, hard to believe when you look at him. Maybe all genetics but it is not inconceivable he could still be playing at a professional level with a different approach to taking care of himself.

Carrick looks the same!

Weirdly good to see that Fletcher has put on weight as I remember him losing a lot of muscle mass with his illness as a player

Was that Eric Djemba Djemba I saw? :lol:

Shocking that he is only 38, hard to believe when you look at him. Maybe all genetics but it is not inconceivable he could still be playing at a professional level with a different approach to taking care of himself.
I don't think he'd play now, many would have already retired but he definitely could have gone on into his mid-30s had he taken care of himself.

He was starting to enter his decline around 10 years ago now. He had the press protecting him, I'd say Casemiro is going through something similar but he has now protection from the English press.

I don't think he'd play now, many would have already retired but he definitely could have gone on into his mid-30s had he taken care of himself.

He was starting to enter his decline around 10 years ago now. He had the press protecting him, I'd say Casemiro is going through something similar but he has now protection from the English press.

Probably correct to be fair unless he was prepared to drop down the leagues just to play. Naturally lean guys like Giggs/Navas/Milner seem to find it easier to keep a high level of performance into their late 30's.

What a photo.

458918278_500705252566606_1406269855984368531_n.jpg

Just got back from the charity game today, great day, Wazza was phenomenal! Whole team was great actually didn't deserve to lose

What a dirty free kick that was. Right in the top bins!
I don’t understand how Wazza has got so out of shape though. He looked rough as a badgers arse today - proper full kit wanker style. He’s 2 years younger than me, be looks 15 years older. And it’s not like he isn’t active because he’s still leading training everyday presumably.

Miss the days of Rooney. Such a class player. Gave everything every game. His passes was top quality. Could score all kinds of goals. Work ethic one of the best I’ve seen.

I don’t understand how Wazza has got so out of shape though. He looked rough as a badgers arse today - proper full kit wanker style. He’s 2 years younger than me, be looks 15 years older. And it’s not like he isn’t active because he’s still leading training everyday presumably.
Benefits of being a manager. You don’t have to be all hands on. Bet he has his coaches running the sessions.

How long since we've seen a free kick this good for United? I can't remember.

He looks like he ate Sean Dyche.

The last world class player for United. Who knows how long we'll have to wait before we can say we've got a world class player again.

Can't even win a charity game these days ... Sack the board

What do you mean? He's our joint leading goalscorer this season!

The crazy thing for me is that, despite how incredible he was, he could potentially have been even better.

There was always talk of his drinking and unhealthy eating even during his prime years, but since he retired he's been open about it, and it was more than I realised. Not just partying, but drinking on his own in the hotel.

There's also some contribution to genetics -he was a man at 16, so perhaps declining physically in his mid-late 20s wasn't THAT unusual. But undoubtedly his drinking also played a part.

The crazy thing for me is that, despite how incredible he was, he could potentially have been even better.

There was always talk of his drinking and unhealthy eating even during his prime years, but since he retired he's been open about it, and it was more than I realised. Not just partying, but drinking on his own in the hotel.

There's also some contribution to genetics -he was a man at 16, so perhaps declining physically in his mid-late 20s wasn't THAT unusual. But undoubtedly his drinking also played a part.
He should have been better, I suppose it won't have many takers but I'd say he was more naturally talented than Ronaldo.

I don't know how he was in training and his on the pitch work rate was unimpeachable but can't help the lingering feeling of what could have been if he maximized his potential.

Mind you the 2010 injury of his didn't help much either.

Last edited:
What a phenomenon he was, and the talent is still evident despite his physical condition. Legend.

He’s really looking unwell.
He should have been better, I suppose it won't have many takes but I say he was more natural talented than Ronaldo.

I don't know how he was in training and hos on the pitch work rate was unimpeachable but can't help the lingering feeling of what could have been if he maximized his potential.

Mind you the 2010 injury of his didn't help much either.
It was by far the prevailing thought on here and across the Internet before C.Ronaldo exploded, evidenced by practically any thread on here (and across other fora) before a certain date in time. The retractions after the fact don't alter what was the reality.

Between injuries and not looking after himself, Rooney plateaued whilst C.Ronaldo was the perfect embodiment of application and dedication to his craft. Fortunately for ourselves and Rooney, his raw ability and God-given athleticism meant his plateau was still way, way, above even good footballers so not much was made of it, many even saying he still was fantastic whilst those of us who truly believed this guy had the potential to be a literal best ever type candidate were adamant that despite his accolades, he could have gone on to be a level or two up on what transpired.

The ultimate saying was: Rooney with C.Ronaldo's work ethic, what does that look like? And I think that's a top 10 player or so of all time, just like Cristiano went on to become.

Of the superstars of his own era, Rooney led by far the worst lifestyle and that was obvious in real time let alone with all the corroborations we're getting from himself and others on The Overlap, which are now humorous anecdotes, but must have been absolutely maddening for coaches and nutritionists etc. of the time. You've got this once in a century talent who doesn't really have any aspirations to maximise his potential. On the other hand, there's a player who obsesses about nothing but being the absolute best he can be and does everything in his power to have it manifest. What's probably even more disappointing is Rooney was there for every step of Ronaldo's transformation, and instead of having the competitive drive to try and stay ahead of him, he was OK with stepping aside and becoming a facilitator and runner for him, rather than thinking 'I have the more natural talent, and with a better lifestyle, could be challenging for ballon D'Ors myself.'

There should always be acknowledgement of all Rooney went onto achieve, as it isn't insignificant, but the caveat should also always be there that there was potentially a far higher ceiling for him than we saw - the player who looked a level above verses the best, most revered defenders and defensive setups on the planet - that Euro '04 Rooney who looked unstoppable in the purest form. The only question I have is whether it's spoon or egg. Was it due to the injuries that his application and dedication to his craft tapered or got waylaid, or was he always winging it in regard to looking after himself? As there's only so long you can get away with the latter.

Dont know what you got till it's gone ;)
Applies to Rooney more than any other player for me. He probably started declining after that tiff with Sir Alex although he had some good moments but the bitteness at the time lead me to under appreciate his brilliance before that.

Has to among the best footballers I’ve seen full stop. And one of the most complete footballers of the modern game. He’s also a player would be even better in the modern game - with better usage of his superb off the ball qualities and a tactic setup to get more output from him, he’d be even more revered.

A stupidly good player.

Players like Rooney can sometimes be a tactical headache but he was so good that he never, not even once was a tactical problem for us whether in the league or Europe. If SAF needed to play him as a lone striker, second striker or on the left he’d do it at such a high level.

A common saying that grinds my gears on here is when someone says a player needs a particular type of player “to get the best out of them”. Rooney could play with any striker and be effective or winger to be honest. Ronaldo and Valencia were very different but he had a great understanding with them both. Tevez, Chicharito and Saha were completely different strikers but Rooney had a unique partnership with each of them.

I still wish he was a bit more selfish and took his fitness more seriously. He left about a 100 goals on the table in my opinion and should have been even bigger. Can’t complain too much though because he still had a better career than most.