Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Ham can piss off. We know they can pay good money for players from other leagues so they can pay decent money for a PL proven solid full back who is a very good age.

West Ham can piss off. We know they can pay good money for players from other leagues so they can pay decent money for a PL proven solid full back who is a very good age.
Whose stock is incredibly low and is in the last year of their contract ...

Last summer, yeah sure, £25mil no doubt. But at the risk of losing him for nothing and being unable to contribute to the reshaping of the squad ... £10mil+5mil in achievable add-ons with a lot of the initial fee up front is acceptable.

They were offering close to 20m EUR for a RB who's injured half the time. Atleast that for a PL proven, generally fit fullback.

They were offering close to 20m EUR for a RB who's injured half the time. Atleast that for a PL proven, generally fit fullback.
Wan-Bissaka is older, has one year.on his deal (no +1 option) and was out for more games last season.

I don't know how people aren't getting this, we aren't getting north of £15mil total for him.

As a weat ham fan I'm still of two minds. 15m is a great deal for a reasonably aged RB who clearly is a decent player.

However I'm still struggling to understand how he works for us under a typical tactic that puts heavy emphasis on attacking fullbacks. I get the feeling he just isn't that type of player, particularly for a team that will want to be in the conference/europa league mix.
He'd do well for you, don't pay attention to the hyperbole on here. Watch a few videos of him

He'd do well for you, don't pay attention to the hyperbole on here. Watch a few videos of him

I dont doubt he is a good player, I'm just very uncertain he is what West Ham needs from a RB under new management. Feels like a remnant from Moyes west ham days to be honest. Alot of attacking is going to come from the FB this season as the center will be compact. I'm yet to be convinced he is going to be doing that role to the quality that is going to be required. Luckily he would have Bowen further ahead of him which may help unlock that side of his game given his industrious style.

I just worry this deal is going through because its cheap and mot thinking of whether it makes any tactical sense. Sullivan seems to hate spending anything on FB afterall.

I dont doubt he is a good player, I'm just very uncertain he is what West Ham needs from a RB under new management. Feels like a remnant from Moyes west ham days to be honest. Alot of attacking is going to come from the FB this season as the center will be compact. I'm yet to be convinced he is going to be doing that role to the quality that is going to be required. Luckily he would have Bowen further ahead of him which may help unlock that side of his game given his industrious style.

I just worry this deal is going through because its cheap and mot thinking of whether it makes any tactical sense. Sullivan seems to hate spending anything on FB afterall.
I was saying if you watch him for yourself you'll see what type of player he was last season and the one before rather than buying into the hyperbole posted on here about him playing sideways, not being able to cross, being bad at positioning etc etc... it's all exaggerated for effect.

It doesn't matter anyway he'll end up somewhere and do well...

Rolling my eyes at Fans of other teams snubbing AWB.

Has his limitations but better than most fullbacks in this league (Especially outside the top 4)

I personally wouldn’t sell. If we are happy to keep a limited player like Malacia then AWB defs makes the cut as a squad option. For me he actually improved on the ball last season but still not good enough to start for us (given our ambitions).

15m is insulting for a 26 year old fullback with almost 200 Prem appearances and a unique skillset + he’s on reasonable wages

I was saying if you watch him for yourself you'll see what type of player he was last season and the one before rather than buying into the hyperbole posted on here about him playing sideways, not being able to cross, being bad at positioning etc etc... it's all exaggerated for effect.

It doesn't matter anyway he'll end up somewhere and do well...

Just looking at the stats it kinda does back up the point though that he does have clear deficiency in attacking elements. His defense stats are good-outstanding which is what you'd expect. He feels like a Everton style player to me, like a Dyche or a Moyes style player.

It's just in a Lopetegui system what he wants from a FB is exactly the things AWB is weakest at statistically.

I dont doubt he will do well somewhere, I'm just not convinced that he is a good match for this current West Ham team and its tactics going forward. However for such a low sum it would free up a little extra money elsewhere in the budget, so does a less than perfect tactically RB enable a higher quality of player elsewhere I suppose is the equation.

Has his limitations but better than most fullbacks in this league (Especially outside the top 4)

I personally wouldn’t sell. If we are happy to keep a limited player like Malacia then AWB defs makes the cut as a squad option. For me he actually improved on the ball last season but still not good enough to start for us (given our ambitions).

15m is insulting for a 26 year old fullback with almost 200 Prem appearances and a unique skillset + he’s on reasonable wages
Wages are always the problem for us to get shot.

I would still keep him in the squad mind.

Wages are always the problem for us to get shot.

I would still keep him in the squad mind.

Yeah 90k for any FB is always going to be an issue when for half the prem that is getting into the top end of their wage bracket.

And if he wants more money than that, it pretty much rules out all but the top teams who won't have a need for him anyways.

West Ham have a very good wage ratio now, so we should be comfortably able to go into the 100k territory should he indeed be the chosen one. Its just whether his pride can accept a downgrade in club status...

Too right it is insulting!
Along with Walker he is the best RB in the Premier League at actually defending.
Maybe with Amad in front of him a winger that can actually pass a ball properly his attacking stats could improve.

Too right it is insulting!
Along with Walker he is the best RB in the Premier League at actually defending.
Maybe with Amad in front of him a winger that can actually pass a ball properly his attacking stats could improve.

At tackling.

The distinction must be made that good defending doesn't mean that they're great at one aspect of defending. It means that they excel at most.

AWB would be a good defender if :-

1. He tracked runners (He doesn't)
2. Has positional awareness (Also no)
3. Covered his back post (He doesn't)
4. He was good in the air (definitely not)

One cannot be a good defender on the basis of one aspect of defending alone.
That's like saying someone is a good midfielder because they've got a nice pass, but if that was the case, then Shelvey would be great.

At tackling.

The distinction must be made that good defending doesn't mean that they're great at one aspect of defending. It means that they excel at most.

That's like saying someone is a good midfielder because they've got a nice pass, but if that was the case, then Shelvey would be great.
Who is a better defensive RB than AWB in the Premier League?

At tackling.

This is rubbish imo.

He doesn't offer much as an attacking player in the final third so when he does let an occasional goal in then it gets called out as some massive weakness in his game because too many people believe he should be a perfect defensive player because of how little he offers in attack.

One of the main reason this is not true is because you call his heading as his biggest weaknesses.

AWB'S heading especially at the back post has improved alot ever since Ten Hag came and its defintely not a weakness anymore when he only lets in one or two goals throughout a whole season because of this.

His positioning is good because he is the best 1 v 1 defender in the world but can be prone to keeping players onside.

He tracks his runners all the time! This is why no one can get past him!

His biggest weakness is when he gets caught so high up the pitch and he jogs back which is the main thing i dislike about him.

He is actually technically good with his ball carries, dribbling & short passing all except his ability to play the final ball but has made assits like the one to Mainoo vs Wolves whilst even playing LB & the bycicle kick style cross from RB.

The fact is, without Wan Bissaka - Ten Hag would have been sacked.

Wan Bissaka has helped us win cups and kept many top players in his pocket.

Sell him to get in someone like Mazroui who has done absolutely nothing in his career is just stupid.

Type Wan Bissaka Vs City Fa Cup final in to youtube & you will see that all these weaknesses you say about him has been addressed by Wan Bissaka himself - back post, heading, dribbling, positioning etc.

As a weat ham fan I'm still of two minds. 15m is a great deal for a reasonably aged RB who clearly is a decent player.

However I'm still struggling to understand how he works for us under a typical tactic that puts heavy emphasis on attacking fullbacks. I get the feeling he just isn't that type of player, particularly for a team that will want to be in the conference/europa league mix.
AWB's not as bad at attacking as many people make out. He doesn't get in the right positions enough but he is more effective getting forward than he's given credit for. Then when he does get in attacking positions his cut-backs are quite dangerous if you get people making runs to the edge of the box (his crossing is pretty poor though).

What he is bad at is the build-up play in the middle section of the pitch. If you want your fullback to play a big part in your build-up then AWB really isn't who you want.

Just looking at the stats it kinda does back up the point though that he does have clear deficiency in attacking elements. His defense stats are good-outstanding which is what you'd expect. He feels like a Everton style player to me, like a Dyche or a Moyes style player.

It's just in a Lopetegui system what he wants from a FB is exactly the things AWB is weakest at statistically.

I dont doubt he will do well somewhere, I'm just not convinced that he is a good match for this current West Ham team and its tactics going forward. However for such a low sum it would free up a little extra money elsewhere in the budget, so does a less than perfect tactically RB enable a higher quality of player elsewhere I suppose is the equation.
He's not a perfect right back, but he's a big upgrade on Coufal in my opinion and for 10m-15m, you will not get much better. I personally think at the very top level he gets found out going forward, but he's tidy in possession and you're still going to play pretty direct with Bowen, Kudus and such. You'll get a lot of use out of him.

At tackling.

Totally agree with this, he’s great at 1v1 defending, when he has to concentrate on only shutting his opponent down, he is poor at most other things and I don’t think he’s got any better at them.

I’d also add very slow recovery runs when getting back into position.

Totally agree with this, he’s great at 1v1 defending, when he has to concentrate on only shutting his opponent down, he is poor at most other things and I don’t think he’s got any better at them.

I’d also add very slow recovery runs when getting back into position.
Over the last two years he definitely improved at covering the back post and in the air in general. Still not good at it, but it's no longer a huge weakness like it used to be.

For the people wanting to keep him, do you think we play the same way with him as compared to Dalot? If yes, I must be watching different games

We aren't stocked at full back so priority should be actually signing a full back or two before selling AWB and worrying about his price tag.

Honest question…If Dalot played up against Doku in the FA cup final would we have won?
Yes because we would keep better possession with Dalot at RB and a competent LB. The reality is that Wan Bissaka is great at one thing and that doesn’t necessarily even make him a great defensive full back. As has been often pointed out in this thread, his positioning isn’t the greatest and he is very suspect with aerial duels. Add to that the fact that he is severely lacking going forward and it’s easy to see why he isn’t a viable alternative even as a backup. If we want to have a defined way of playing, we need to have players who can play that way even if they are inferior to someone else who might be better suited to a different system

For the people wanting to keep him, do you think we play the same way with him as compared to Dalot? If yes, I must be watching different games
I doesn't seem like we're necessarily going with the similar players in the same position route, like Zirkzee is very different to Hojlund

I doesn't seem like we're necessarily going with the similar players in the same position route, like Zirkzee is very different to Hojlund
There’s a difference between having tactical variations due to different types of players, and having a player who just doesn’t suit the system. Every player we have must have a baseline of technical prowess if we want to play proper football, he just doesn’t have it and never will. He’s good in tight spaces but he can’t cross, is an ok at best short passer and physically incapable of doing a long/cross field pass. Everything he does on the ball lacks any short of conviction. He just isn’t up to it.

He will be needed in many games, if we ever get to another final. I would trust him over any player. These games worth trophies. And come on, it's not like Dalot is miles better than him.

I told the west ham fan to watch a video or to and he refused, apparently AWB feels like the wrong type of player... Doesn't deserve to have a great FB at a bargain price fall in his lap.

Anyway if I'm AWB and a return to London isn't important to me I'd go and play abroad for a while Infront of some fans that respected my skills. It's not as if WHU is compelling is it?

I told the west ham fan to watch a video or to and he refused, apparently AWB feels like the wrong type of player... Doesn't deserve to have a great FB at a bargain price fall in his lap.

Anyway if I'm AWB and a return to London isn't important to me I'd go and play abroad for a while Infront of some fans that respected my skills. It's not as if WHU is compelling is it?

I've just spent some time looking at videos of him. Clearly a good player, 15m is a good price given his age.

I'm not against him coming, I think he is clearly an upgrade to Coufal in many regards, however I still not sure he is the right fit tactically for us and what is required by our FB next year (they will basically be more wing backs than classic FB position wise).

Just because your a good player doesn't automatically mean your going to fit and work to peak efficiency in all tactics. I stand by AWB would have been outstanding under Moyes. Under Lopetegui? I'm less confident.

But for the price, I'd be mad to say I wouldn't want him even with that caveat.

It’s a very strange switch by West Ham as the profile of the players couldn’t be more different. How do you go from wanting an attacking fullback to a defensive one in the space of a single rejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.