Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't see Inter buying AWB with Dumfries being there especially if he signs a new contract extension

just shows you lack of interest bc no one rates him as a footballer
No one rates him yet Inter and West Ham were interested. Cool.

I think so, look to be the case on transfermarkt.

If he signs a new deal, I very much doubt they'd go for Wan Bissaka. If he won't sign a new deal, it would be good for both clubs to strike a deal that suits all parties. I sadly have a feeling we'll be stuck with Wan Bissaka, which is a shame.
Yeah, I think he is staying. Hence, the news/brief yesterday that we are looking for a LB.

AWB needs to go. He doesn’t fit a team that wants to play attacking possession football with a high line. We can be having guys that drastically change how we play based on which one is in the lineup.

And for all the love AWB gets for his 1v1 defending, he’s actually pretty awful at defensive positioning, defending space, and tracking runners. All things you need to be good at in a high line.

Might as well keep him:

- not on a massive wage
- nobody wants to buy him
- seems to be a good pro, doesn't moan much, has a good attitude etc
- relatively good injury record
- has a role as a back up right back and may even be chosen to start in games against certain wingers who might cause Dalot problems
- bigger problems to solve at LB and CM

If you can sell and buy a good quality replacement, you do it. Failing that you replace him when he leaves for free next summer, just without the benefit of whatever fee you'd have got this summer to put towards a replacement.

The only disastrous outcome would have been actually giving him a new contract, but thankfully there's zero sign of us doing so. Beyond that, what we do in the short term with our 2nd choice RB isn't the end of the world.

I’m sorry but I don’t get the AWB to stay brigade. He is simply not good enough. If we can do a swap with Inter, as is being reported, for Dumfries we should snap their hands off. Dumfries is proven at international and champions league level, and can play as a fullback and wingback. No brainer. AWB actually hampers any attempt at controlled, vertical possession based football. The 1v1 is nonsense, he is good at making last ditch tackles. That’s due to poor positioning and an inability to read the game. I’ve said this for a long time (a few on here derided me last year when I said Dalot would win out POTY) but Dalot is a far superior player.

I’m sorry but I don’t get the AWB to stay brigade. He is simply not good enough. If we can do a swap with Inter, as is being reported, for Dumfries we should snap their hands off. Dumfries is proven at international and champions league level, and can play as a fullback and wingback. No brainer. AWB actually hampers any attempt at controlled, vertical possession based football. The 1v1 is nonsense, he is good at making last ditch tackles. That’s due to poor positioning and an inability to read the game. I’ve said this for a long time (a few on here derided me last year when I said Dalot would win out POTY) but Dalot is a far superior player.

I am i the stay brigade because our rb situation is more solid than most positions in the field. Dalot is a good 1st choice and Awb is a solid backup. Can you say that about left back? Rb is very low on priority and most of the awb out people are focused on the rbs they would like us to sign or dont like awb stylistically. Shaw might be our most talented fullback but i trust our right backs throughout the season than any of our left backs. Sort dm, left back, forwards before we even bring the righ back position into conversation.

I am i the stay brigade because our rb situation is more solid than most positions in the field. Dalot is a good 1st choice and Awb is a solid backup. Can you say that about left back? Rb is very low on priority and most of the awb out people are focused on the rbs they would like us to sign or dont like awb stylistically. Shaw might be our most talented fullback but i trust our right backs throughout the season than any of our left backs. Sort dm, left back, forwards before we even bring the righ back position into conversation.
If AWB wants to stay as an outside chance to play RB, and ETH/the sporting direction that wants to build on ETH wants him to stay, I have no objections. Many aspects of his ball play is underestimated, and if the powers that be feel they can camouflage his considerable weaknesses in attacking versatility, decisionmaking and positioning, he’s as good as what we can get for the realistic moneyes. If not, I think we’re better off with a backup with a more fitting profile.

If I’m honest I’d keep AWB as he’s a good alternative to Dalot and I think it’s better we have variety rather than like for like replacements.

On the right Diallo and Garnacho are completely different, on the left Rashford and Sancho are completely different, up front Hojlund and Zirkzee are completely different and at 10 or attacking midfield Fernandes and Mount are completely different so why not Dalot and AWB ?

If we’re trying to close a game out or need someone to do a one to one job then I’d choose AWB over Mazraoui all day long and hasn’t Mazraoui had injury problems over the past couple of years too ? We need a left back far more than a right back and Dalot and AWB will be good options for the season.

Are people forgetting the many times it's been mentioned that he's out of contract next year?

Either we lose him next year for nothing or extend to a 4-5 year contract on increased substantial wages (as that's the only way he would sign on) for a player not really suited for possession or progressive football with some startling weaknesses. Or we could sell him now for £10m+ and use that to reinvest for the next best backup/future potential option.

From a footballing perspective it makes absolutely sense to sell and move on so I'm surprised with the 'I'll keep him..'.

From a financial one, I totally understand if the club can't replace due to budget/contingent being able to sell/other transfers but even then, I would still say, when there's a will there's a way i.e sell, bring in loan option and use funds for next summer.

this RB area is just not the most critical area of the pitch for us to improve (thats not to say there is no room to improve). The most urgent area of improvement is the cliched 'spine' of the team, we need another CB and at least 1 but probably 2 centre mids. A LB is also important much more that RB. I think if it was not for his contract entering the last year AWB would not even be an urgent issue for the club.

Unless we are upgrading DAlot with Vanderson to a genuinely talented attacking full back dont see the poin tin selling a solid back up to pay more for a solid back up...to a back up in DAlot

I’ve never understood how people think he’s a really bad footballer. It’s nonsense.

Anyway stay or go, slight preference over him staying as we won’t bring in a backup of similar quality for less than we will get for AWB. The priority is CM/DM and LB

If he stays i actually think he will earn a new contract here possibly on reduced wages if his wages are too high for other clubs.

He is a good player but his stint at LB has really stung people's eyes & it wouldnt surprise me if he had a better season that expected of him this year.

He was on Dalot's level last season but this season he had an injury for a long period and then came straight back in to playing LB where he gave away a penalty.

I'd be gutted if he left though, because what he does offer unfortunately cannot be replaced. We would be having two different colors of the same shirt rather than a shirt & a trouser.

Considering Dalot's ability to play LB, i think having 5 fullbacks should be considered as one of our fullbacks can play both RB & LB role well (no need for kadiogolu), Shaw can play LCB in worst case scenario. Vanderson, Dalot, Wan Bissaka, Shaw & Gutierrez is probably the best fullbacks set we could get. Having a squad of 4 fullbacks playing for two roles seems quite thin (especially when you consider Man City's range of fullbacks who are all centre backs aswell) - but I'm no doubt biased as i genuinely really do enjoy watching him.

Not a priority. He is ood enough as a backup. Can't see many options who would be ok to be a backup for the cot around what woud we get for AWB. He can be usefull in ames where we need to park the bus.

Am I imagining it but did AWB show attacking improvement last season? Am sure he did.

I'll happily keep him for another season if it means we can get midfield additions instead.

Am I imagining it but did AWB show attacking improvement last season? Am sure he did.

I'll happily keep him for another season if it means we can get midfield additions instead.
He showed marginal improvement which was over-hyped in my opinion. He went from being awful to being ok. He's also just not a good defender. He can tackle but his positioning is poor and gets caught out under a high ball.

I'd have him replaced asap but LB is more pressing.

He showed marginal improvement which was over-hyped in my opinion. He went from being awful to being ok. He's also just not a good defender. He can tackle but his positioning is poor and gets caught out under a high ball.

I'd have him replaced asap but LB is more pressing.
100% agree about AWB defensively. People see him make a last ditch slide tackle and because of that believe he's a good defender. He's not.

10 to15m after the low ball offers last summer from West Ham. 20m for them, they won't get better for that price.

The problem with him staying is that he will effectively cost us 15-20m for this season (10-15m that we can get from him if we sell him, and around 5m on wages). That is just too much for a mediocre backup right back.

Otherwise, we would need to extend his contract and to be fair, he is not a player that we should extend his contract. Similar to the likes of Maguire, McTominay and Lindelof, he is not good enough for us if we are planning to challenge.

The problem with him staying is that he will effectively cost us 15-20m for this season (10-15m that we can get from him if we sell him, and around 5m on wages). That is just too much for a mediocre backup right back.

Otherwise, we would need to extend his contract and to be fair, he is not a player that we should extend his contract. Similar to the likes of Maguire, McTominay and Lindelof, he is not good enough for us if we are planning to challenge.

I would rather we lose that 15-20m and get an actual left back. And actually solve a problem position.

As a weat ham fan I'm still of two minds. 15m is a great deal for a reasonably aged RB who clearly is a decent player.

However I'm still struggling to understand how he works for us under a typical tactic that puts heavy emphasis on attacking fullbacks. I get the feeling he just isn't that type of player, particularly for a team that will want to be in the conference/europa league mix.

AWB's issue isn't that he is a bad footballer.
AWB's issue is that he doesn't know how to make the right run off the ball at the right time when in the final third.

When Antony has the ball outside, AWB doesn't offer a ball inside or underlap the fullback. He stands vertically behind Antony on the touchline and offers himself as a spare man, but never as a threat.
When Antony has the ball inside, AWB doesn't offer an aggressive overlap. He stands parallel to Antony and far in front of the fullback, and offers himself as a spare man, but never as a threat.

He doesn't lose the ball much because he doesn't do anything with it. Perceptions of him having a good game are often due to his reticence to try anything remotely vertical, giving the impression to many that his conservative play is effective.

He is not a bad footballer; he's just not good enough for a team trying to be better than fourth place.

There will be at least a couple matches this season where we get run ragged down our right flank and this thread will light up.

I would rather we lose that 15-20m and get an actual left back. And actually solve a problem position.
If a £10-15m deal will facilitate us signing versatile FB like Ferdi that can play LB or RB, we should be all over it. Having someone like him and Dalot who can play either FB position should be enough with Shaw, Malacia, Amass and Martinez all able to play LB (even with their respective injury issues, lack of experience or it not being their ideal position).

£10m with reasonable add ons for another £5m seems like a good deal for all. AWB’s gone for free after this year anyway.

I would be very happy if we can sell him for 10-12M and then use that money to get Mazraoui. Massive upgrade for the style ETH wants to play, Mazraoui can invert, overlap, underlap, move into a back 3. He can cover for LB as well, much better than AWB would.

We are not buying a LB until we sell Malacia, or move Shaw permanently into a CB role. We already have 2 LBs, so best case scenario we get one in on loan. Hopefully next summer we can sell and upgrade on Malacia.

Whether selling AWB impacts our ability to make any other signings depends entirely on who is bought to replace him.

If it's someone as cheap as Mazraoui, who Bayern have already accepted a 15m+4m bid for, then it shouldn't really impact any other signings the fee for AWB will almost entirely cover the fee for the replacement. And if FSR matters (which I'm not sure it really does this summer) then it leaves us in a better position to make more signings in that regard.

On the other hand, if we want a better option than Mazraoui who costs substantially more, then it's a problem for other signings.

AWB's issue isn't that he is a bad footballer.
AWB's issue is that he doesn't know how to make the right run off the ball at the right time when in the final third.

When Antony has the ball outside, AWB doesn't offer a ball inside or underlap the fullback. He stands vertically behind Antony on the touchline and offers himself as a spare man, but never as a threat.
When Antony has the ball inside, AWB doesn't offer an aggressive overlap. He stands parallel to Antony and far in front of the fullback, and offers himself as a spare man, but never as a threat.

He doesn't lose the ball much because he doesn't do anything with it. Perceptions of him having a good game are often due to his reticence to try anything remotely vertical, giving the impression to many that his conservative play is effective.

He is not a bad footballer; he's just not good enough for a team trying to be better than fourth place.

Very interesting analysis. I fear this is why despite the cheap price I'm not sure he is actually going to be much of a fit at West Ham. He'd have fit a Moyes team to a tee. But in a system that requires attacking fullbacks which Lopetugi typically employs?

But no doubt the fact he will be relatively cheap as chips for a rb at his age will be naking Sullivan all warm inside, regardless of whether it'll actually work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.