Virgil van Dijk | Performances

At his best he was around the level that other top centre backs in the PL reached. He just couldnt keep that level up as long as other PL greats because Pickford seriously injured him.

Disappointed during the World Cup too.

Never recovered from that injury. I know he is a Liverpool player but its never nice to see a player be broken by an injury. By an average Dino goalkeeper at that....

Why aren’t they talking about a potential injury for Elliott?
They’ve literally plucked an injury excuse from the heavens here

giphy.gif

Why aren’t they talking about a potential injury for Elliott?
They’ve literally plucked an injury excuse from the heavens here
When you’re playing shite the obvious move is to bring off an underperforming youngster. Not so common a move for your best centre back to get the hook.

Not that I think he is injured, Van Dijk has just regressed massively, but it’s not an equivalency.

Van Delegate is over. 18 months or so of elite level in the end. Streets shan’t forget, king

At his best he was around the level that other top centre backs in the PL reached. He just couldnt keep that level up as long as other PL greats because Pickford seriously injured him.

Disappointed during the World Cup too.

Never recovered from that injury. I know he is a Liverpool player but its never nice to see a player be broken by an injury. By an average Dino goalkeeper at that....

I thought that even when Liverpool were challenging last year. He's never looked the same player as before the injury. It's like he still thinks he has the effortless pace he used to have but when he reaches for it it's no longer there and he looks careless.

He was poor today, not sure if he was carrying an injury, but didn't look at it. Liverpool have conceded 22 goals so far this season, that is 2 more conceded than Everton who are 1 point above relegation zone, and the same amount as West Ham who are also 1 point above relegation.

Not really. His leg was heavily strapped when he came back out, according to SS commentator.
They also said Trent was injured after being brought off against Napoli at half time which everyone knew was a lie?
Might be a chance to treat an odd knock but he didn’t look injured at least.

So you’re saying the Sky Sports commentator was lying about seeing Van Dijk’s leg heavily bandaged?
No, I’m saying he may have been brought off anyway and was just taking the chance to treat a knock.
Something tells me he’ll be fit to face Brighton. Just a hunch.

Michael Owen: Van Dijk is the best centre-half of all time.

:wenger:

It's so fecking stupid. Van Dijk has had about 2,5 really good seasons at the highest level. Compare that to the likes of Nesta, Baresi, and Ferdinand. Then you have players like Ramos, Pique, Varane, Terry, Chiellini, Cannavaro, Vidic, Kompany, Silva, etc., who have probably reached similar or slightly lower highs, but with vastly more to show for it.

Branding Van Dijk the greatest centerback of all-time is just pure recency bias.

I doubt Klopp would take him off regardless, but then I wouldn't bet if he asked to be taken off because he felt they would get embarassed and it would break some of his defensive records like being beaten without actually defending and stuff like that so he didn't want to be part of that so he faked an injury. He will be ready for next game no doubt.

Michael Owen: Van Dijk is the best centre-half of all time.

:wenger:

Classic case of people's obsession with labelling the current as the best ever.
We've seen it with City's team, then it was Liverpool's team. Yet both have dropped levels straight after.

He hasn't said a negative thing about liverpool in years. He's been desperate to get back in the fans good books.

The media in general have been fairly quiet about Van Dijk, Trent, Klopp and Liverpool in general dropping gears.

He hasn't said a negative thing about liverpool in years. He's been desperate to get back in the fans good books.
Yep. He's trying desperately to come of as pro-liverpool. Also his statement they are the best in Europe having not won the cl nor their own league

Not enough.

Although he lamps in 30 crosses a game and one or 2 are good, so gets away with it.
I’ve seen plenty of criticism thrown at TAA this season. More than his fair share. He’s been an incredible player for us though and still has time to learn and develop.

Players like him and Van Dijk are the best Liverpool have seen in a long time in their position so they get a bit of leeway I guess. I can’t name a better RB or CB for Liverpool since I’ve been watching. Doesn’t mean that they can’t be criticised but they have credit in the bank. It’s probably why you see more attention on someone like Nunez.