Viktor Gyökeres - Sporting Striker

I told you, there's a reason no teams are going near him for that price tag. He's not that good.

He's just gone from a half-decent Championship side to the dominant team in an overall weaker league than the Championship. Of course his numbers have improved. Better team, weaker opposition compared to what he had at Coventry.

Some people already know that Hojlund is better than him, I wonder how long it will take for the masses to clock it too.
He is that good

He is at the same price of Hojlund, but what we do, we buy a player that scored 6 goals in Italy as a CF for 75m.
For a player who is 5 years younger and scored 15 goals in the Premier League and Champions League last season.

Pretty good strikers from the northern countries. If Gyökeres moved to England, it would be possible that the four best strikers would be Gyökeres, Isak, Hojlund, and Haaland.

I haven't watched him at Sporting so he may have developed massively, but no one was disappointed when he left Brighton for Coventry, he couldn't get a game for us and his loan spells weren't exactly impressive.

Maybe he has changed massively since he went, but I'm not sure he's worth the money quoted. If he has it just goes to show you shouldn't rate a player on his peformances in his early 20s.

They can eat shit. We can probably get Osimhen for less

I don't think INEOS will be buying 100M anybody, any time soon, least of all somebody from Sporting, and I wholeheartedly agree. Even Real doesn't pay such fees, anymore. Let's leave stupidity in the past
Real just bought Jude Bellingham for 100m 14 months ago.

I haven't watched him at Sporting so he may have developed massively, but no one was disappointed when he left Brighton for Coventry, he couldn't get a game for us and his loan spells weren't exactly impressive.

Maybe he has changed massively since he went, but I'm not sure he's worth the money quoted. If he has it just goes to show you shouldn't rate a player on his peformances in his early 20s.

He has 8 goals and 5 assists in 6 games this season for club and country. Andd 44 goals and 15 assists for club and country in 51 games last season. Yeah, maybe he has developed a bit since he scored 7 goals in Bundesliga 2... Probably Brighton's biggest mistake in the last five years.

But that’s quite literally 90% of player ratings on the Caf. Writing people off if they aren’t world class by 22/23. People still refuse to believe that players can develop massively between 21 and 25, despite watching Ronaldo make a quantum leap in performance from 21 to 23 at this very same club.

Going back through history, loads of absolutely top class players didn’t start showing their true ability until they were 22-24. Players like Scholes and Iniesta weren’t even first team regular starters until they hit 22/23. It’s just one of those things in football where players develop at different rates. But modern society is geared towards sensationalism, so people look for that 17/18 year old that has it all. And if said player has a difficult period from 19-21, people are ready to write them off. It’s as predictable as it is daft.

I told you, there's a reason no teams are going near him for that price tag. He's not that good.

He's just gone from a half-decent Championship side to the dominant team in an overall weaker league than the Championship. Of course his numbers have improved. Better team, weaker opposition compared to what he had at Coventry.
You still need to be a very good player to do what he's doing in Portugal.

Gyökeres is clearly a world class forward and he's not a one season wonder. He's very consistent. Sometimes, a good manager and a good team bring out the best of a player.

That being said, leave him be. Don't take him from Sporting yet. I have to accept that it's probably his 2nd and last season here, don't make me fear he'll leave in January.

10 goals and 5 assists so far this season. Haaland type numbers.

Gyökeres is clearly a world class forward and he's not a one season wonder. He's very consistent. Sometimes, a good manager and a good team bring out the best of a player.

That being said, leave him be. Don't take him from Sporting yet. I have to accept that it's probably his 2nd and last season here, don't make me fear he'll leave in January.
Give him to us you know its only right. Ha no I think we need to make UCL and Hojlund can get this season to show if hes progressed.

However if other clubs move for him in Jan we should be in there. We should be lining him and Sesko up for next summer and taking one of them.

It would be nice to finally have a striker who scores goals, can control a football, and at a decent age.

You'd think that would be the bare minimum, but then we also have a goalkeeper who can't make saves.

Looks good but also a bit of a penalty player.

Kind of Toney like.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hojlund so far but we need to find out if he can show his CL level performances in the PL especially under a new manager which has given him two chances to prove himself under two different managers.

We also just bought Zirkzee who seems a bit of a better goalscorer than his Bologna stats seem to be with his recent goals for us & the Netherlands whilst also having a more all roundes game to him.

He is a good striker, but like every striker, he needs supply. That is what we need to do with Hojlund and Zirkzee, before spending 100m on a bloke in the Portuguese league.

Looks like a good allrounder and great finisher, but to me we have an issue in the final third, and his potential would not be maximised either here.

Last edited:
They can eat shit. We can probably get Osimhen for less

Osimhen is available for a 75M€ fee which is his new release clause, but the salaries are very different.

Gyökeres is currently earning £40K/wk at Sporting while matching Osimhen's current wages would be north of £300K/wk. Gyökeres would absolutely demand a big pay increase too if he were to move but even then we'd likely be talking about a figure well below Osimhen's salary so overall he'd still be cheaper of the two.

Osimhen has proven himself in a bigger league so he has that going for him, but as a negative side he also misses around 1/3rd of the season every year to injuries while Gyökeres is yet to miss a single competitive match to injury in his career so far. Gyökeres had some knee problems late into last season and underwent a surgery over the summer to fix that so it remains to be seen whether the issue is fully fixed or if it will cause him some problems down the line. But Osimhen's injury problems are definitely a recurring thing.

He is a good striker, but like every striker, he needs supply. That is what we need to do with Hojlund and Zirkzee, before spending 100m on a bloke in the Portuguese league.

Looks like a good allrounder and great finisher, but to me we have an issue in the final third, and his potential would not be maximised either here.

One good thing about Gyökeres is that he's still very useful even when he isn't getting enough supply. He can create chances, he's strong and can hold a ball or progress with it with power runs, giving time for the team to catchup. And he has a knack to get out of tight markings and pressing AND usually makes good choices with the last touch on the ball. One thing is sure, you can notice the adversary's defenders get a little bit nervous everytime the ball goes to him.

His ease of movement and striking the ball reminds me a bit of Van Persie. Obviously not as good, but the type of player.

I'd say sign him up and have proper competition for the striker spot. We need a great striker and a World Class winger. Goals and creating is our biggest problem.

Chelsea is coming for him in January mate. I'm sure of it.

Looks good but also a bit of a penalty player.

Kind of Toney like.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hojlund so far but we need to find out if he can show his CL level performances in the PL especially under a new manager which has given him two chances to prove himself under two different managers.

We also just bought Zirkzee who seems a bit of a better goalscorer than his Bologna stats seem to be with his recent goals for us & the Netherlands whilst also having a more all roundes game to him.
Nothing like Toney at all. Immensely more mobile and more than capable of creating something out of nothing. One of the most complete strikers out there. Would be really interesting to see him in the EPL, Haaland vs Him. I was praying all summer Arsenal don't go for him, would be the missing piece in their set-up imo.

Hojlund looks like he hits the ball and hopes half of the time, his finishing is nowhere near the level you need to lead the line at manchester united.
This! You lot need to stop overrating him.

One good thing about Gyökeres is that he's still very useful even when he isn't getting enough supply. He can create chances, he's strong and can hold a ball or progress with it with power runs, giving time for the team to catchup. And he has a knack to get out of tight markings and pressing AND usually makes good choices with the last touch on the ball. One thing is sure, you can notice the adversary's defenders get a little bit nervous everytime the ball goes to him.

Yeah I really like how well-rounded he is. He also has a bit of fire and arrogance about him. I feel like he could be a great striker in any league.

He is a bit like Henrik Larsson at Celtic, incredible in a smaller league but won't get his dues until he leaves.

Sweden - Estonia was a bit silly with much time on the ball Sweden got, but the attack with Gyökeres, Isak and Kulusevski is fun to watch.

Last edited:
Terrified of this guy ending up at Arsenal. Would score a shitload of goals for them.

Best striker that isn't playing for a 'big side' in the world right now.

Hojlund looks like he hits the ball and hopes half of the time, his finishing is nowhere near the level you need to lead the line at manchester united.
His finishing is very good. What a terrible take.

If he scored 10 non-penalty goals in his debut PL season as a 20 year old with very few chances to convert and still has shit finishing, what does that say about the more experienced strikers like Solanke, Isak and Toney who don't score much more from open play?

Osimhen is available for a 75M€ fee which is his new release clause, but the salaries are very different.

Gyökeres is currently earning £40K/wk at Sporting while matching Osimhen's current wages would be north of £300K/wk. Gyökeres would absolutely demand a big pay increase too if he were to move but even then we'd likely be talking about a figure well below Osimhen's salary so overall he'd still be cheaper of the two.

Osimhen has proven himself in a bigger league so he has that going for him, but as a negative side he also misses around 1/3rd of the season every year to injuries while Gyökeres is yet to miss a single competitive match to injury in his career so far. Gyökeres had some knee problems late into last season and underwent a surgery over the summer to fix that so it remains to be seen whether the issue is fully fixed or if it will cause him some problems down the line. But Osimhen's injury problems are definitely a recurring thing.
I really hope that we are not going to sign anybody on more than 200K/week. Osimhen will need to adjust his expectations to sign for us, just like he had to adjust his release clause. Or else he can keep playing in Turkey

Wasn't aware of Osimhen's injury problems. That sounds like a big concern

At the same age as Hojlund Gyokeres was sitting on the bench for Brighton scoring 0 goals.

He may be a great player but they are simply not in comparable situations/stages of their careers.

What are you talking about? Hojland has issues that need development but finishing isn’t one of them. He’s been lethal at any chances he’s had. Had close to the highest conversion rate in the league last season.

What are you talking about? Hojland has issues that need development but finishing isn’t one of them. He’s been lethal at any chances he’s had. Had close to the highest conversion rate in the league last season.
Wouldn't it be a small sample size considering how little we provide for him?

He is a good finished though.

I really hope that we are not going to sign anybody on more than 200K/week. Osimhen will need to adjust his expectations to sign for us, just like he had to adjust his release clause. Or else he can keep playing in Turkey

Wasn't aware of Osimhen's injury problems. That sounds like a big concern

Osimhen will never play for us, don't worry.

Wouldn't it be a small sample size considering how little we provide for him?

He is a good finished though.
Yes it would definitely be a small sample and I’d expect in a proper chance creating team his conversion rate would drop slightly, but based on the goals he has scored he’s scored loads of different types of goals with different finishes. His issue is getting chances, it hasn’t been the finishing.

I’m not sure conversion rate is the best way to describe Hojlund’s efficiancy as it is calculated from goals per taken shot. Hojlund is fairly often in the wrong position or a little late imo, and there is no shot at all. Maybe poor service, maybe poor positioning, hard to say.

Some of Gyökeres’ strengths are being at the right place at the right moment, but also that he can create chances himself and he is not depending on great service.

The question for me is not if Gyökeres has the right profile fornPL/United, as I think his profile would be perfect. It’s more if he’s good enough in a PL environment.

Yes it would definitely be a small sample and I’d expect in a proper chance creating team his conversion rate would drop slightly, but based on the goals he has scored he’s scored loads of different types of goals with different finishes. His issue is getting chances, it hasn’t been the finishing.
Hojlund's issue is his dreadful positioning for both club all last season, and country for Denmark at the recent Euros.

At the same age as Hojlund Gyokeres was sitting on the bench for Brighton scoring 0 goals.

He may be a great player but they are simply not in comparable situations/stages of their careers.

A club in the size and prestige of Manchester United should not wait 5 years for Hojlund to turn good.

A club in the size and prestige of Manchester United should not wait 5 years for Hojlund to turn good.
There are absolutely 0 guarantees that Gyokeres will be top class in the PL. Performances in second tier leagues are an indicator but far from an assurance. There's also no reason to think that Hojlund needs 5 years, consider he scored 16 goals in a totally dysfunctional United team last year. Hojlund also had a better goal/game ratio in the CL than Gyokeres had in the EL - which is much more equalised in terms of the quality of opposition than comparing the PL to the Primeira Liga.