Van de Beek to Girona for 500k

Sancho is unproffessional. Creates a toxic environment.

He only wants to go to Juventus who will never pay 40m and have rejected other better bids. He is on almost 2 times the wages compared to Donny so if we include wages payed over the last 3 years then Sancho is much worse.

Donny has a good attitude, not his fault he has had alot of injuries and on much less wages.

Sancho 73m + 41,6m (3 years wages) = 114,6m

Donny 35m + 20,8m (3 years wages) = 55,8m

Jadon Sancho - Salary & Contract
Jadon Sancho earns £275,000 per week, £14,300,000 per year playing for Manchester United as a AM RLC. Jadon Sancho's net worth is £58,921,200. Jadon Sancho is 23 years old and was born in England. His current contract expires June 30, 2026.

Career Earnings:

YearWeekly WageYearly SalaryClubPositionLeagueAgeContract Expiry
2024£275,000£14,300,000Manchester UnitedAM RLCPremier League2330-06-2026
2023£275,000£14,300,000Manchester UnitedAM RLPremier League2230-06-2026
2022£250,000£13,000,000Manchester UnitedAM RLPremier League2130-06-2026

Donny van de Beek - Salary & Contract
Donny van de Beek earns £140,000 per week, £7,280,000 per year playing for Manchester United as a AM C. Donny van de Beek's net worth is £26,780,000. Donny van de Beek is 26 years old and was born in Netherlands. His current contract expires June 30, 2025.

Career Earnings:

YearWeekly WageYearly SalaryClubPositionLeagueAgeContract Expiry
2024£140,000£7,280,000Manchester UnitedAM CPremier League2630-06-2025
2023£140,000£7,280,000Manchester UnitedAM CPremier League2530-06-2025
2022£120,000£6,240,000Manchester UnitedAM CPremier League2430-06-2025

Most people can barely even remember games that VDB played. In 4 years he started 11 games and only made 42 league appearances.

I'm sorry but no matter how Sancho has behaved, £35m for 11 league starts and then sold for 500k is by far the worst signing.

Most people can barely even remember games that VDB played. In 4 years he started 11 games and only made 42 league appearances.

I'm sorry but no matter how Sancho has behaved, £35m for 11 league starts and then sold for 500k is by far the worst signing.
Am confused, are you using the cost to the club as a measure of how shit they've been? Because by that measure, Sancho has definitely cost more.

Well Van De Beek has actually been sold and it's basically a 98.5% loss on the original value.

That should improve as the add ons to get to around 5M are supposedly easy. Could get to as high as 15M but I would imagine the benchmarks between 5M and 15M are significantly harder to accomplish and nothing we have seen from Donny would give me confidence he will achieve those. There is also a sell on clause but again I am not optimistic of benefiting from that one.

To be fair, were they really that great? Every few years we see a club overperform and get to the CL semis - Villarreal in 2022, Leipzig and Lyon in 2020, Roma in 2018 just to name a few. Ajax 2019 is the only one that has this strange mythos surrounding them.

This is because we are from a so-called farmers league and the financial gap with the larger leagues is enormous.. (and because we eliminated Real Madrid who won it the three years before and shortly after, and a Juventus with Ronaldo in the process..)

To the people who watched him at Ajax, was he always a mediocre player or has something happened to him since he left?

He fitted perfectly in the vertical 10 role playing just behind Dusan Tadic, which playmakers as Schone Blind Frenkie Ziyech surrounding him.. Put in some really excellent performances.. Was our best player when we beat Spurs in London and had a very good performance away at Juve..

Sold for 500k. That is absolutely shocking.
Not really, it's easy add-ons to £5mil +

We are finally doing what Liverpool and city did when guardiola and klopp joined. Fire sales to get the deadwood out.

Instead we used to give players new contract to keep "their resale value up" or some other rubbish under Woodward.

city getting 20 mill for kids without even a minute played in the PL, and United getting 0,5 mill for Donny ... He had to go, of course, but this is not impressive. Hope he does well at his new club.

Thank God we actually found a buyer for him.

Most pointless signing ever. He's been under so many managers here, and they all saw nothing in him.

What a waste.

city getting 20 mill for kids without even a minute played in the PL, and United getting 0,5 mill for Donny ... He had to go, of course, but this is not impressive. Hope he does well at his new club.
Yeah but people are paying for potential. It was clear DVB has none of that based on the last few years.

Of all the terrible transfers we made in the last ten years this one might be the worst.

In four years he made 62 appearances for us, during which time we paid him about £25million. Combined with the fee of £35million that's about a million per appearance.

In terms of minutes it's even worse, with him playing the equivalent of about 23 full games for us.

Of all the terrible transfers we made in the last ten years this one might be the worst.

In four years he made 62 appearances for us, during which time we paid him about £25million. Combined with the fee of £35million that's about a million per appearance.

In terms of minutes it's even worse, with him playing the equivalent of about 23 full games for us.
actually surprised at 62 appearances. seems far lower in my memory

Really hard to explain what happened to Donny, since he was so good at Ajax. Wrong move on both parts. I don’t particularly want him to do well for the city group but I hope he can salvage something of his career as he’s always come across as a good guy.

Thank you for everything Donny. Good luck on your next step.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

Seems like a nice guy and never kicked up a fuss but wow - what a god awful signing that turned out to be. One of our worst.

Best of luck especially with your fitness. No, seriously please stay fit. I think a fair chunk of the add-ons will be dependent on that. Make us some money

Nice to have this sorted out in July - rather than the usual haggling for a loan fee on 1st September.

Best for all parties - cheers Donny, sorry it didn’t work out

Been glancing at this thread and actually thought it said Genoa for the last few days!

It could well be a good move for him after the complete bust of the last four years. Go to team with less pressure but with a very defined style and also about to embark on a historic season in CL.

Two solid years and he'll probably make the Dutch World cup squad.

Am confused, are you using the cost to the club as a measure of how shit they've been? Because by that measure, Sancho has definitely cost more.

Whichever way you look at it DVDB was a terrible deal.
We bought him for £35M and we sold him for £0.5M.
How can a player go from one of the most promising young midfielders, to complete garbage in the space of a few months?

Seems like a nice guy and never kicked up a fuss but wow - what a god awful signing that turned out to be. One of our worst.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it?
We don't need nice guys. We need players who will fight for wins when playing for us.
Antony gets a lot of flack on this forum, but at least he fights for the team on the pitch. DVDB was basically useless at everything. He was a complete failure.
I actually think that he should've gone back to Ajax - he'd probably do well there, again.

That should improve as the add ons to get to around 5M are supposedly easy. Could get to as high as 15M but I would imagine the benchmarks between 5M and 15M are significantly harder to accomplish and nothing we have seen from Donny would give me confidence he will achieve those. There is also a sell on clause but again I am not optimistic of benefiting from that one.

Given how he has performed during the last 4 years, I would not count on getting any add-ons.
I hate to say it, but I think his career is over.
He clearly has the skills, so I have to put it down to a weak mentality.
I do find it strange that no manager wanted to give him a chance. Even ETH who used him in Ajax refused to play him.
It's quite bizarre that he can go from Bal on Dor shortlisted player to rock bottom within a few weeks of joining us.

Sold for 500k. That is absolutely shocking.
People keep saying this but I think it’s actually good that we got anything for him, I fully expected him to be released on a free. He didn’t prove himself in the PL or on any loan since. In fact because of injuries he’s played very little games in 4 years.

in my opinion we should take this as a small win

This has to be one of the worse transfers ever, I mean he was around 40M and didnt featured at all. Couldn't even break through on everton nor frankfurt how did Ajax managed to make him look good and fooled us to pay that much for him will be one of the greatest mysteries.

This has to be one of the worse transfers ever, I mean he was around 40M and didnt featured at all. Couldn't even break through on everton nor frankfurt how did Ajax managed to make him look good and fooled us to pay that much for him will be one of the greatest mysteries.

An objectively terrible transfer, but it says a lot that I’d probably rank Sancho, Antony, Sanchez, Maguire, Pogba, Martial, and Ronaldo2 all as worse transfers for us.

Di Maria and Lukaku only escape that list because we managed to claw back a healthy fee for them somehow.