US Men's National Team Discussion

And again. Pathetic. Hire a shit coach who operates on vibes and this is what you get.

This side can't cope with the press, has not much awareness in the defensive third, struggle to break through the zones, seemingly have not a single player that can carry the ball in the midfield, and much more.

This side can't cope with the press, has not much awareness in the defensive third, struggle to break through the zones, seemingly have not a single player that can carry the ball in the midfield, and much more.
That’s been apparent for years, but we rehired a coach who has proven to be shit at devising tactics to fix it. The was like the holland game, but way worse.

Hoof, kick, and punt merchants. At 2-1, or may have been 3-1, Tillman manages to break through the press but immediately tries some weird crossbody hoof ball ala Veron but totally mishits and Colombia regather possession. He had space to square his body and attack the space. Mindless, zombie football.

Hoof, kick, and punt merchants. At 2-1, or may have been 3-1, Tillman manages to break through the press but immediately tries some weird crossbody hoof ball ala Veron but totally mishits and Colombia regather possession. He had space to square his body and attack the space. Mindless, zombie football.
The maddening thing is that for PSV that is exactly what he’d do, so I find it hard to believe this is not “tactical” since he’s not the only one who did it. Reyna and Musah are just about the only ones who will drive the ball up the field, but when they do they are usually crowded out by the forward and left wing who are also running into the same space.

Hopefully a poor showing in the Copa means the end for Berhalter
Will never happen, the leadership at US Soccer have tied themselves to Berhalter by rehiring him when the majority of the fanbase wanted him gone. They have to keep him.

We destroyed them 5-1. Concacaf is really shite, it should be fused with Conmebol, it’s a waste of a federation.

You’re not wrong. The US spend most of their time playing against tiny countries, or countries with little competitive standing, and periodically have the most tired duel in world football vs Mexico. Winning that game puts them top of the world. Well, the world according to that tiny fishbowl. So when they come up against a proper team, the step up in quality is far too much. They could’ve lost by seven or eight today. Completely outclassed and Colombia barely got out of second gear.

Thing is, every four years the US raise their game at the World Cup and make a decent go of it, even if it’s more through effort than quality, So they can compete at this level, they just don’t have the opportunity to do it often enough. This defeat will be good for them, because I genuinely think the team starts to believe they are good because they’ve beaten Mexico - who are honestly terrible these days - as it’s the benchmark by which they’ve measured progress for so long. So coming back down to earth like this will hopefully spark a return to what they do best…..top draw work rate, making it hard for the opposition, athleticism etc.

They were naive today, used the ball really badly, especially against the press where the CBs were as bad as I’ve seen for a long time, and they didn’t make up for it with any sort of decent, organised teamwork or graft. There really isn’t much of an excuse now because the team is mostly full of players plying their trade in Europe, many of whom have the benefit of actually being developed through European systems at top academies.

To be honest, I’ve actually been quite impressed with the you g talent the US has been developing the last few years, so I started looking into it more, and it is absolutely staggering that nearly all their players either joined European academies from 16, 17 or 18, or only have very tenuous links with the country they are representing. Several of their players were either born there to foreign nationals and left when they were very young, or never even lived there. There are only two players amongst their starting 11 and the several subs they brought on today, that have two American parents, were born in the USA, and stayed there beyond their 18th birthday (Ream and Turner).

There’s me thinking that US academies are getting their act together, but it’s either European academies or clubs doing the development, or it’s some very clever “scouting” from US soccer to grab every half decent eligible player. :lol: fecking hell….

Turner (PL Forest)
Scally (BL Gladbach - since 18)
Richards (PL Palace - at Bayern from 18)
Ream (12yr veteran of English football - PL Fulham)
Robinson (PL Fulham - Everton academy product. Isn’t American, is fully English).
McKennie (SA Juventus - Schalke from 17)
Cardoso (LL Betis - Is Brazilian. Brazilian parents, lived in Brazil from 3 months old).
Reyna (BL Dortmund - Since 16)
Weah (SA Juventus - PSG academy product since 14, George Weah’s son)
Balogun (L1 Monaco - Arsenal academy product, left US at 2y/o)
Pulisic - (SA Milan - Dortmund since 17y/o).

The subs that came on today:

Carter-Vickers (SPL Celtic - Spurs academy product. English mother, born and raised in England).
Pepi (ED PSV - Ausberg in BL since 18. Mexican parents)
Musah (SA Milan - Arsenal academy product. Ghanaian parents, grew up in Italy and England).
de la Torre (LL Celta Vigo - Fulham since 15. Spanish father).
Tilman (BL Bayern - Born and raised in Germany his whole life)
Weight (CH Coventry - Schalke since 16)

You’re not wrong. The US spend most of their time playing against tiny countries, or countries with little competitive standing, and periodically have the most tired duel in world football vs Mexico. Winning that game puts them top of the world. Well, the world according to that tiny fishbowl. So when they come up against a proper team, the step up in quality is far too much. They could’ve lost by seven or eight today. Completely outclassed and Colombia barely got out of second gear.

Thing is, every four years the US raise their game at the World Cup and make a decent go of it, even if it’s more through effort than quality, So they can compete at this level, they just don’t have the opportunity to do it often enough. This defeat will be good for them, because I genuinely think the team starts to believe they are good because they’ve beaten Mexico - who are honestly terrible these days - as it’s the benchmark by which they’ve measured progress for so long. So coming back down to earth like this will hopefully spark a return to what they do best…..top draw work rate, making it hard for the opposition, athleticism etc.

They were naive today, used the ball really badly, especially against the press where the CBs were as bad as I’ve seen for a long time, and they didn’t make up for it with any sort of decent, organised teamwork or graft. There really isn’t much of an excuse now because the team is mostly full of players plying their trade in Europe, many of whom have the benefit of actually being developed through European systems at top academies.

To be honest, I’ve actually been quite impressed with the you g talent the US has been developing the last few years, so I started looking into it more, and it is absolutely staggering that nearly all their players either joined European academies from 16, 17 or 18, or only have very tenuous links with the country they are representing. Several of their players were either born there to foreign nationals and left when they were very young, or never even lived there. There are only two players amongst their starting 11 and the several subs they brought on today, that have two American parents, were born in the USA, and stayed there beyond their 18th birthday (Ream and Turner).

There’s me thinking that US academies are getting their act together, but it’s either European academies or clubs doing the development, or it’s some very clever “scouting” from US soccer to grab every half decent eligible player. :lol: fecking hell….

Turner (PL Forest)
Scally (BL Gladbach - since 18)
Richards (PL Palace - at Bayern from 18)
Ream (12yr veteran of English football - PL Fulham)
Robinson (PL Fulham - Everton academy product. Isn’t American, is fully English).
McKennie (SA Juventus - Schalke from 17)
Cardoso (LL Betis - Is Brazilian. Brazilian parents, lived in Brazil from 3 months old).
Reyna (BL Dortmund - Since 16)
Weah (SA Juventus - PSG academy product since 14, George Weah’s son)
Balogun (L1 Monaco - Arsenal academy product, left US at 2y/o)
Pulisic - (SA Milan - Dortmund since 17y/o).

The subs that came on today:

Carter-Vickers (SPL Celtic - Spurs academy product. English mother, born and raised in England).
Pepi (ED PSV - Ausberg in BL since 18. Mexican parents)
Musah (SA Milan - Arsenal academy product. Ghanaian parents, grew up in Italy and England).
de la Torre (LL Celta Vigo - Fulham since 15. Spanish father).
Tilman (BL Bayern - Born and raised in Germany his whole life)
Weight (CH Coventry - Schalke since 16)

Yeah the coaching and set up in the academies in the US is nowhere near the standard of European academies so naturally it's harder to develop international players out of them. I coached in the US back in 2011 - and the set up in academies was the equivalent of a standard junior team in the UK.

Kids from a rich background who had no athletic ability or interest in football were training in an academy alongside half decent kids. The half decent kids don't have any challenges or opportunity to develop their talent further. I'd expect it's changed somewhat from 13 years ago - but the consensus may be that's it better to look within european academy systems and that's the imbedded train of thought.

@simonhch I would like to point out that at least one American academy has had a proper development philosophy for 15+ years - FC Dallas. Three of those 17 you pointed out came from the academy - McKennie, Pepi, Richards - and made the smart move to Europe in their late teens, although Pepi chose the wrong club initially.

the part that really made no sense for me in the build up was how close Ream and Richards play to each other on the ball....any time they got pressed and played to the other CB, they quickly got pressed by the same freaking guy b/c they were only about 8 yards apart

if Ream was off the ball and just moved a few yards further away it would have forced one of the wingers to step in and press which meant Robinson could easily have gotten the ball and created overloads with reyna and pulisic on the wing against the fullback and midfielder

his in game management and adjustments are soooo poor ...you could see Colombia wanted to play on the counter and set up in a mid block to allow for them to attack space when the US got close to the halfway line

the part that really made no sense for me in the build up was how close Ream and Richards play to each other on the ball....any time they got pressed and played to the other CB, they quickly got pressed by the same freaking guy b/c they were only about 8 yards apart

if Ream was off the ball and just moved a few yards further away it would have forced one of the wingers to step in and press which meant Robinson could easily have gotten the ball and created overloads with reyna and pulisic on the wing against the fullback and midfielder

his in game management and adjustments are soooo poor ...you could see Colombia wanted to play on the counter and set up in a mid block to allow for them to attack space when the US got close to the halfway line

Agree. When you hear about why he was chosen (again) it’s never about his tactical or coaching abilities, it’s always “the players love him”, or “camps have great atmosphere”. Maybe coaching on vibes works if you have elite level talent, but we don't.

Agree. When you hear about why he was chosen (again) it’s never about his tactical or coaching abilities, it’s always “the players love him”, or “camps have great atmosphere”. Maybe coaching on vibes works if you have elite level talent, but we don't.
we have the talent but you have a muppet for a manager who doesn't know how to properly set up a team but the know how to change things on the fly when they do something that you don't expect

the way they pressed clearly wasn't something they expected and there were no changes to the structure of the build out phase

I’m still not sure was he checking for a red and decided that not only was it not a red but it wasn’t a free kick or was he told to look at it for the initial foul / free kick?
I guess… but why would VAR send him to the monitor to check for a red when it obviously wasn’t?

US should stop playing out from the back as much as they do. Most of the time it looks sloppy and leads to gifting possession away. There's a lot of talent going forward - be direct.

That's a stronger Brazil side than I was expecting. Thanks.

It is our A but it could be much better Beraldo and Joao Gomes should not start IMOand I think our best Lb wasn’t called up but fair play to the US, they played well and it was an entertaining game

It is our A but it could be much better Beraldo and Joao Gomes should not start IMOand I think our best Lb wasn’t called up but fair play to the US, they played well and it was an entertaining game

Keeping faith with Paqueta is interesting considering he was dropped for half of last year when the allegations first surfaced.

Both keepers made at least one world class save each, Turner early on stopping Vinicius (think him) and Becker stopping Pulisic in the second half.

Entertaining match but I did have that feeling throughout if this were a Cup group or knockout match Brazil would have upped their tempo and pulled away. Also feel that any opposition manager watching the US play from the back should just immediately press them.

Last edited:
Both keepers made at least one world class save each, Turner early on stopping Vinicius (think him) and Becker stopping Pulisic in the second half.

Entertaining match but I did have that feeling throughout if this were a Cup group or knockout match Brazil would have upped their tempo and pulled away. Also feel that any opposition manager watching the US play from the back should just immediately press them.
That being said, Brazil’s goal came from Turner trying to go more direct. The guy has world class shot stopping talent but his ball playing skills are absolutely woeful. He make DeGea look like Ederson.

That being said, Brazil’s goal came from Turner trying to go more direct. The guy has world class shot stopping talent but his ball playing skills are absolutely woeful. He make DeGea look like Ederson.

There's nothing in Turner's game within a sniff of world class. His shot stopping is exactly what I'd expect from a starting keeper at a relegation fodder Premiership club who couldn't get a game at Arsenal. This has to be the worst collection of keepers at USMNT level since the late 80s.

There's nothing in Turner's game within a sniff of world class. His shot stopping is exactly what I'd expect from a starting keeper at a relegation fodder Premiership club who couldn't get a game at Arsenal. This has to be the worst collection of keepers at USMNT level since the late 80s.
maybe not WC (I exaggerated a bit to highlight how shit his kicking is), but his shot stopping is really good. Unfortunately, his kicking is so bad it totally obscures how well he does on the shot stopping side. I do agree on the keeper pool portion. Let’s pray Slonina develops.