UK Policing

See richard Tice has given his penny's worth, he's reassured by the police behaviour and wants to see more of it. And all his facist goons are lapping it up. Can't wait till the next EDL type demo, looking fwd to the police cracking some skulls when the yobs start getting lairy.

Yet here you are making excuses:
With respect dear Dr, none of what I wrote excuses the behaviour. It explains or understands how a person can react in that scenario. I’ve made it quite clear the officer should not behave in that way under any circumstances.

If I were excusing his behaviour I would say “I think given the circumstances what he did was ok”.

I don’t think it’s ok, I think it’s completely understandable.

I can’t understand why someone would assault 3 police officers, I can understand why someone who is assaulted doing a stressful job would lose their control. It doesn’t make it right, it doesn’t make it excusable, it just means I can understand that reaction.

Edit: to be clear the dear Dr is a “my dear Watson” vibe than being a patronising arsehole I’ve read it back and don’t want it misunderstood for how it was intended

I mean, if I had to deal with the worst aspects of society for £2500 per month, I'd probably lose my temper too.

Obviously I don't condone nor justify those actions, but he's human. As soon as someone puts on the uniform we seems to remove empathy and focus on their inability to be dispassionate, robotic arbiters of the law.

Curiously, and I think on the balance it is fair, but we always instantly side with the person not in uniform and not in every instance is that correct. As I said, on balance, likely fair.

It's bleak and makes people think this kind of stuff isn't normal. Unfortunately, it is.

So if I go cracking skulls around I hope to only lose my job. No fine, no jail.

You have to ask for a fitting punishment for the police and also, depending on what the victim did as an aggressor, yes, no sympathy. You don't hit a person that surrendered and is on the floor when they already had probably their fair share of smacking to reach that point
I think he would be charged with a physical assault of some form and him being a police officer would be deemed as an aggravating factor. I agree with that.

You assault an officer of the law, or several, and I think certain niceties understandably go out of the window.

We have a prison system that doesn’t work, an underfunded police system that puts officers in the line of situations like this and worse on a weekly if not daily basis

These sound like excuses Benito, no matter what personal caveats you put afterwards.

If your society accepts this as a standard of policing then it is on a slippery slope to this type of thing becoming a regular occurrence and having really innocent people on the end of unjust police brutality.

As such the conduct needs to be deemed unacceptable, full stop. Nothing mitigates it. The lack of impulse control shown by a highly trained firearms officer should be especially alarming.

I mean, if I had to deal with the worst aspects of society for £2500 per month, I'd probably lose my temper too.

Obviously I don't condone nor justify those actions, but he's human. As soon as someone puts on the uniform we seems to remove empathy and focus on their inability to be dispassionate, robotic arbiters of the law.

Curiously, and I think on the balance it is fair, but we always instantly side with the person not in uniform and not in every instance is that correct. As I said, on balance, likely fair.

It's bleak and makes people think this kind of stuff isn't normal. Unfortunately, it is.

So if someone makes les than 2000 and live in a shitty neighbourhood can we lose our temper? you have a job. You are salesman, you sell. If you don't you get fired. You are a representative of the law, you abide by law. You receive training for it and your experience dealing with the worst aspects of society should make you better, not worse and if you can't quit, take a vacations or seek professional support which I am sure, police have in extense

These sound like excuses Benito, no matter what personal caveats you put afterwards.

If your society accepts this as a standard of policing then it is on a slippery slope to this type of thing becoming a regular occurrence and having really innocent people on the end of unjust police brutality.

As such the conduct needs to be deemed unacceptable, full stop. Nothing mitigates it. The lack of impulse control shown by a highly trained firearms officer should be especially alarming.
The conduct is unacceptable. We police by consent here, not by force. Alas, the world is not a nice place.

So if someone makes les than 2000 and live in a shitty neighbourhood can we lose our temper? you have a job. You are salesman, you sell. If you don't you get fired. You are a representative of the law, you abide by law. You receive training for it and your experience dealing with the worst aspects of society should make you better, not worse and if you can't quit, take a vacations or seek professional support which I am sure, police have in extense
What a bad faith response.

You know fore well that is not what I am saying.

Disgusting video. He could have killed him or caused serious brain damage.

Why are people taking the police's statement at face value? Never mind that they aren't even saying this was the guy who caused injuries to the cops.

Considering he broke a female officers nose beforehand then yes I do.

Feck around and find out situation.

Apparently it was a school aged kid. Was already on floor with his mother sitting with him.

You can see from the vid he was face do n hand above. Got kicked for no reason.

The other lad, again on vid, was sitting with hands on his head. Got told to get down and was obeying and got kicked and beaten.

That's brutality

I mean if you want to cherry pick a quote I’ve made devoid of the full context of my post where I’ve clearly stated I don’t think he should behave that way and it’s wrong then yeah they can sound how you want it to. But I’ve gone through the effort to explain myself in further detail so I’d hope you’d take my view in good faith rather than assuming I’m excusing what is fairly clear case of police brutality here.

I would hope that nobody just accepts this standard, or lack thereof, of policing. The criminal on the floor doesn’t appear to be in any position to be a credible threat and therefore shouldn’t be booted in the head and stomped on. That’s disgusting behaviour. You’re also right it’s doubly concerning that it’s a firearms officer behaving that way.

So to be clear my position on this is that his behaviour is understandable. Not excusable, not justifiable but understandable.

I mean if you want to cherry pick a quote I’ve made devoid of the full context of my post where I’ve clearly stated I don’t think he should behave that way and it’s wrong then yeah they can sound how you want it to. But I’ve gone through the effort to explain myself in further detail so I’d hope you’d take my view in good faith rather than assuming I’m excusing what is fairly clear case of police brutality here.
Cheers, Benito. Just so you understand my approach, I sometimes find statements where we condemn something but express a level of understanding as attempts at mitigation or reducing the 'bad' so to speak. So thanks for clarifying.

I would hope that nobody just accepts this standard, or lack thereof, of policing. The criminal on the floor doesn’t appear to be in any position to be a credible threat and therefore shouldn’t be booted in the head and stomped on. That’s disgusting behaviour. You’re also right it’s doubly concerning that it’s a firearms officer behaving that way.

Suspect! ;)

Which is abhorrent and reprehensible but also does not apply to this particular situation.

This is clearly a person behaving illegally, assaulting several police and then being given very rough and brutal treatment by an officer as a result. It’s not excusable but it’s understandable.
But the post I replied to, as you know, said if you behave, then this will never happen. It's completely wrong and is not the case at all.

cnuting bent coppers need throwing in jail. Cowards. Thugs masquerading as enforcers of the law. Nothing excuses that behaviour. Hope they get the book thrown at them.

Cheers, Benito. Just so you understand my approach, I sometimes find statements where we condemn something but express a level of understanding as attempts at mitigation or reducing the 'bad' so to speak. So thanks for clarifying.

Suspect! ;)
Which is fair enough but also why I was quite happy to clarify that being able to understand a reaction or response on a human level isn’t me also saying it’s any better.

Like I think everyone here can understand why the officer reacted how they did. That doesn’t mean we should accept the reaction towards the suspect.

But the post I replied to, as you know, said if you behave, then this will never happen. It's completely wrong and is not the case at all.
You’re right there needs to be more nuance in the other posters view too.

In this particular instance I’d comfortably argue that by allegedly assaulting 3 officers the suspect increased their chances of a violent response. The reaction is disproportionate of course. But it is understandable that the course of action taken was more likely as a result of non cooperation and alleged assault.

Again to be clear. Not excusable behaviour, understandable.

Which is fair enough but also why I was quite happy to clarify that being able to understand a reaction or response on a human level isn’t me also saying it’s any better.

Like I think everyone here can understand why the officer reacted how they did. That doesn’t mean we should accept the reaction towards the suspect.
Personally, I can't understand his reaction.

You’re right there needs to be more nuance in the other posters view too.

In this particular instance I’d comfortably argue that by allegedly assaulting 3 officers the suspect increased their chances of a violent response. The reaction is disproportionate of course. But it is understandable that the course of action taken was more likely as a result of non cooperation and alleged assault.

Again to be clear. Not excusable behaviour, understandable.

Sorry but this behaviour, of kicking a kid in the head whilst he is on the floor with his hands up is never understandable from a police officer.

Unless you prescribe to the view that the police are thugs, then yes it's understandable

The police look like they're itching for a fight and to hurt these people. From the clips, it's dehumanising. Hard to tell if there's a racial or religion element to the treatment or whether it's just outright desire to hurt, but it'll be easy to pin on those officers because they would not be treating white folk like that in an airport whilst being filmed, methinks.

Personally, I can't understand his reaction.

Neither do I. Bizarre that people do, actually, scrap bizarre, it's fecking worrying that people think it's understandable that a Police officer wearing heavy boots can kick someone repeatedly in the face and then assault someone on the back of the head. Both of whom were on the fecking floor. Defending the indefensible.

Neither do I. Bizarre that people do, actually, scrap bizarre, it's fecking worrying that people think it's understandable that a Police officer wearing heavy boots can kick someone repeatedly in the face and then assault someone on the back of the head. Both of whom were on the fecking floor. Defending the indefensible.

I honestly have to wonder if the skin tone has any relevance to people's views.

GMP in the news again for the wrong reasons, when you here about the stuff that the MET get up to as well it feels like entire service is riddled with wronguns,

Sorry but this behaviour, of kicking a kid in the head whilst he is on the floor with his hands up is never understandable from a police officer.

Unless you prescribe to the view that the police are thugs, then yes it's understandable
Is it a kid?

The officer should not behave the way they did. But it’s understandable why officers behave this way.

I mean yeah, a significant enough number of police behave in thuggish manners. So when put in situations like this one they lose control and this happens.

It’s utterly shit. But understandable shit.
Speak for yourself.
Again maybe I’m not making my point clear enough, I thought I’d made my view of UK policing on here before but I haven’t.

I’m happy to explain myself further so long as people don’t then accuse me of excusing behaviour that I’m not trying to excuse.
The police look like they're itching for a fight and to hurt these people. From the clips, it's dehumanising. Hard to tell if there's a racial or religion element to the treatment or whether it's just outright desire to hurt, but it'll be easy to pin on those officers because they would not be treating white folk like that in an airport whilst being filmed, methinks.
That officer is going out of his way to hurt that suspect. Not to restrain, but hurt.

You do not stamp on someone’s head to restrain. I suspect there is a racial element to this that unfortunately exists in the police force.
I’m going to need to clarify further aren’t I.

I don’t think much of the UK police. It’s underfunded, over stretched and so attracts people that are interested in the power aspect. It also attracts a significant number of individuals who turn into abusers etc.

It’s a really messed up profession and so when heated situations arise I’ll be honest in surprised we’ve not got an even worse record or outcome by now. I think one of the only things making us better than the USA is the usual lack of firearm involvement.
I honestly have to wonder if the skin tone has any relevance to people's views.
Genuinely you can feck off by making any kind of suggestion that you believe skin tone has any bearing on my view.

It’s absolutely abhorrent the disproportionate levels at which ethnic minorities are treated in the UK by the police.

It’s also completely understandable that a police officer has behaved completely unacceptably in this situation, given the forces history anyone saying they are surprised or don’t see how this could happen are being naive as to the extent of UK policing and its issues.

It’s absolutely disgusting that this officer has done what they’ve done.

Sorry, your repeated assertion that his behaviour was understandable was confusing.
The guy on the floor shouldn’t break the law.

The guy kicking him in the head and then attempting to curb stomp him shouldn’t be the law.

Is it a kid?

The officer should not behave the way they did. But it’s understandable why officers behave this way.

I mean yeah, a significant enough number of police behave in thuggish manners. So when put in situations like this one they lose control and this happens.

It’s utterly shit. But understandable shit.

Again maybe I’m not making my point clear enough, I thought I’d made my view of UK policing on here before but I haven’t.

I’m happy to explain myself further so long as people don’t then accuse me of excusing behaviour that I’m not trying to excuse.

That officer is going out of his way to hurt that suspect. Not to restrain, but hurt.

You do not stamp on someone’s head to restrain. I suspect there is a racial element to this that unfortunately exists in the police force.

I’m going to need to clarify further aren’t I.

I don’t think much of the UK police. It’s underfunded, over stretched and so attracts people that are interested in the power aspect. It also attracts a significant number of individuals who turn into abusers etc.

It’s a really messed up profession and so when heated situations arise I’ll be honest in surprised we’ve not got an even worse record or outcome by now. I think one of the only things making us better than the USA is the usual lack of firearm involvement.

Genuinely you can feck off by making any kind of suggestion that you believe skin tone has any bearing on my view.

It’s absolutely abhorrent the disproportionate levels at which ethnic minorities are treated in the UK by the police.

It’s also completely understandable that a police officer has behaved completely unacceptably in this situation, given the forces history anyone saying they are surprised or don’t see how this could happen are being naive as to the extent of UK policing and its issues.

It’s absolutely disgusting that this officer has done what they’ve done.

My skin tone comment was general not aimed at you and based on reading some of the stuff on social media it's definitely a thing.

I disagree totally with your "understandable" stance but I don't think it's the first time I have disagreed with your stance and I'd say it's certainly not ethnicity based, if anything you like to stir the pot in my opinion and I'm never convinced your views are anything but. But that's another discussion for another time

What is concerning is that people like this officer who clearly is someone that shouldn't be anywhere near the streets as a police officer was given a pass during training and still given weaponry. You'd have thought they'd have picked up on his attitude and had him removed. Officers like him are the very reason why people don't like the Police and don't sign up in the first place, he's the exact type of Officer that would escalate situations and make them far worse. Perhaps I'm assuming too much of the standards of Police vetting these days or maybe the guy is a good Officer and just snapped.

Either way, the Police response to this incident isn't good, from the Officers to the Social Media response.

What kind of person do you think gets attracted to the police?
There are certainly aggressive people who want the authority and licence to handle people roughly but there are also people who have wanted to be cops since they were kids, and people who believe in the law. I don't think we can consider all of them the same type.

If anything it's more that most who enter policing end up with a particular mindset. Likely a systematic issue due to culture, experience and training.