UK and ROI Euro 2028 | Official - it's coming home (except to Northern Ireland)

UK/Ireland bid set to be confirmed after Turkey withdraws to leave it unopposed

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...eland-set-to-be-confirmed-as-euro-2028-hosts/

Another damning indictment of the Glazers regime. England will host it's first major mens tournament in 32 years and OT doesn't host a game.
United pulled OT from consideration because they couldn't guarantee the availability of the stadium. More than happy to pile in on the Glazers but anyone genuinely believing OT wouldn't have been a hosting stadium if put forward is living in cuckoo land.

United pulled OT from consideration because they couldn't guarantee the availability of the stadium. More than happy to pile in on the Glazers but anyone genuinely believing OT wouldn't have been a hosting stadium if put forward is living in cuckoo land.
That's the issue though. It shouldn't be in a state that means we can't guarantee that in 5 years time it might not be available.

That's the issue though. It shouldn't be in a state that means we can't guarantee that in 5 years time it might not be available.
Given that the club were looking into various options including building a whole new stadium, it's pretty obvious why they can't guarantee it would be available. Heck even if it was completely untouched from today to 2028 and made available, it would still be picked.

Given that the club were looking into various options including building a whole new stadium, it's pretty obvious why they can't guarantee it would be available. Heck even if it was completely untouched from today to 2028 and made available, it would still be picked.
My point is it shouldn't be in that state in the first place. It shouldn't need to be so bad that we're not sure if it'll be being worked on in 5 years time or not.

My point is it shouldn't be in that state in the first place. It shouldn't need to be so bad that we're not sure if it'll be being worked on in 5 years time or not.
As I said, if it was put forward in the current state it is in, it would 100% have been selected. I agree the lack of work done over the past 15+ years is pretty disgraceful but lets not pretend it wouldn't have been selected.

If Old Trafford and Anfield aren't included in the bid, it must be because they don't have TV screens.

As I said, if it was put forward in the current state it is in, it would 100% have been selected. I agree the lack of work done over the past 15+ years is pretty disgraceful but lets not pretend it wouldn't have been selected.
Is anyone making that point? That it wouldn't have been selected if it was put forward?

From what I've read, most gripes are that we can't put it forward and we should be in a position that we can.

Not right when two of the most traditional grounds in England and home of the two most successful teams in country won't be used for a major tournament

If the 5 Home Nations get Euro 2028, should we have a Home Nations Championship instead of qualifying friendlies in 2026-27

Is anyone making that point? That it wouldn't have been selected if it was put forward?

From what I've read, most gripes are that we can't put it forward and we should be in a position that we can.
It is literally made in the post that I initially quoted.

I think they're planning to do maintenance and upgrades prior to the Euros.
Yeah there's been some PR fluff about game-changing upgrades which look great but will cost a bomb, so the budgetary reality is that it'll be a lick of paint and off we go.

Anfield pitch is too small to host tournament football.

Hosted tournament football there before though, group games in euro 96. Capacity is bigger now as well. Main stand is redeveloped, small tunnel has disappeared and the dug out is bigger. The pitch requirement has always prevented us being in consideration these days.

It will no doubt be ready. The planning has been passed and the Government has said the money is there. The Irish government had also said it will provide money also. Meanwhile the GAA sits back and gets a new stadium by providing £15m.
The most important thing about all this is that the plans submitted for the stadium don’t meet UEFAs criteria.

Why is Old Trafford not hosting a game? Seems like a shocking omission.

Why is Old Trafford not hosting a game? Seems like a shocking omission.
f8bLWZEqPtBxtVab5ttHbd-320-80.jpg

Withdrew due to uncertainty over redevelopment plans. Think in reality they knew we wouldn't win a spot over the Etihad so pulled out and in five years time our stadium won't have changed a jot.
No it would have changed, just that if things keep going like this it will be worse.

Sad that OT isn’t in the list but good to see it be hosted in the uk

Withdrew due to uncertainty over redevelopment plans. Think in reality they knew we wouldn't win a spot over the Etihad so pulled out and in five years time our stadium won't have changed a jot.

Sounds like something our owners should be seriously pissed off about. They probably didn't even know there was a European Championship for countries though.
Anfield being omitted is an odd one, when you think of hosting a tournament you want it at the biggest and best stadiums. Etihad's a lovely stadium but it doesn't come close to Old Trafford in terms of capacity or history.

Sounds like something our owners should be seriously pissed off about. They probably didn't even know there was a European Championship for countries though.
Anfield being omitted is an odd one, when you think of hosting a tournament you want it at the biggest and best stadiums. Etihad's a lovely stadium but it doesn't come close to Old Trafford in terms of capacity or history.
Anfield is old and Everton will have their new stadium by then - I guess that, apart from London, they wanted to keep it at one stadium per city.

It will no doubt be ready. The planning has been passed and the Government has said the money is there. The Irish government had also said it will provide money also. Meanwhile the GAA sits back and gets a new stadium by providing £15m.
The most important thing about all this is that the plans submitted for the stadium don’t meet UEFAs criteria.
The GAA and their lack of investment in stadia irks me to put it mildly. Croke Park and Pairc UI Chaoimh aside every one of their grounds are concrete bowls with poor accessibility and no cover. Delighted Casement is getting built however, it's well overdue.

Is Everton's stadium definitely going to be completed? The clubs a mess and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a late change to Anfield

Anfield is old and Everton will have their new stadium by then - I guess that, apart from London, they wanted to keep it at one stadium per city.

I get that but this is like having a tournament in Spain and using Atletico Madrid's ground along with Espanyol's instead of the Nou Camp and the Bernabeau