UK and ROI Euro 2028 | Official - it's coming home (except to Northern Ireland)

Us: I literally almost drowned at the match last week due to leaks.
Also us: Get up here and drink our dirty roof water, you soft bunch of jessies.

I think it makes sense in terms of Anfield dropping out when we will have our shiny new stadium by then to replace it.
Isn't Anfield excluded by default since we don't allow The Sun journos in the stadium? Also the reason why no England games are ever hosted in Anfield, no? Unless this has nothing to do with it and my sources of information are too Liverpool-minded, but I genuinely thought that was the reason.

Definitely makes sense to include your new stadium. Some weirdos on Twitter last night were in a tantrum because they thought "Everton stadium" meant Goodison Park :lol:

How the hell is Villa Park on this list? It’s a shithole located in a shithole. Mental.
It's the best in the Midlands. Love Villa Park, proper old school*.

*falling apart but a nostalgic gem.

Part of the thinking must be that we don't know if Old Trafford will still be available in 2028? It will most likely be having major renovations at that point?

Isn't Anfield excluded by default since we don't allow The Sun journos in the stadium? Also the reason why no England games are ever hosted in Anfield, no? Unless this has nothing to do with it and my sources of information are too Liverpool-minded, but I genuinely thought that was the reason.

Definitely makes sense to include your new stadium. Some weirdos on Twitter last night were in a tantrum because they thought "Everton stadium" meant Goodison Park :lol:

Nah, it's because your pitch is too small for Uefa requirements.

It's the best in the Midlands. Love Villa Park, proper old school*.

*falling apart but a nostalgic gem.
It hasn’t been for years. The original main stand, which was a gem, was replaced by a generic monstrosity 20 years ago.

Edit: the old stand
KYCBHuj.jpg

Seems a bit pointless having a major tournament in England if you're then going to exclude the two most iconic stadiums outside of Wembley, in two of the most easily accessible cities outside of London.

Also by that logic, Villa Park definitely isn't the nicest stadium in the Midlands. Pride Park is significantly better for a start. Never been to the King Power stadium but would assume that's better.

Seems a bit pointless having a major tournament in England if you're then going to exclude the two most iconic stadiums outside of Wembley, in two of the most easily accessible cities outside of London.

Also by that logic, Villa Park definitely isn't the nicest stadium in the Midlands. Pride Park is significantly better for a start. Never been to the King Power stadium but would assume that's better.
East Midlands doesn't count. Nobody likes the East Midlands.

East Midlands doesn't count. Nobody likes the East Midlands.

Molineux then. Even that's nicer if you ignore the old bit and the fact its in Wolverhampton.

East Midlands is fine. Its just the midlands except without toll roads or a pointlessly huge train station.

Imagine flying in from some sunny picturesque European country looking forward to a carnival atmosphere summer football tournament, and ending up in fecking Birmingham, and at a stadium that looks like it was built out of leftover council houses.

Scotland just having one venue feels wrong somehow with their long football tradition. I can understand no city other than London getting two venues (which would rule out Celtic Park or Ibrox), but surely Edinburgh and Murrayfield could make a great venue? I'm pretty sure Hearts have used the stadium every now and again so it can be used for football.

It's irritating to me how corrupted the whole process is these days, the entire bidding process has a whole "prisoners dilemma" feel to it now with a 'who is bringing the most money to the representatives' notion to me. Russia and Qatar as the last two world cup hosts has absolutely sucked every last piece of interest international football away, and my ambivalent feelings these days are a stark reminder how little I give a feck who 'wins' the rights anymore, and I'm amazed more people don't feel the same way. I just don't care anymore. Glad that OT isn't included.

Oh wow that’s stunning
Indeed. Most of the big stadiums from the early to mid 20th century were impressive but utilitarian; they had a lot in common with factories from the same era. The only ones to make an architectural “show” were Villa (1923, though looks older; maybe the First World War delayed it) and Arsenal (early 1930s; happily survived and turned into flats when they moved to the Emirates).

In fairness they weren't excluded as such, they couldn't be included in the bid. United pulled OT out of the running due to being unable to guarantee the availability of the stadium and Anfield can't host tournament matches as their pitch isn't big enough for the Euro's standard size and cannot be extended to be big enough.

Villa Park is a great ground but badly needs a lot of money spending on it, maybe if the bid is successful that will happen.

Italy & Turkey have merged their bids and are going for 2032 instead leaving UK & Ireland's 2028 bid unopposed.

Last edited:
Italy & Turkey have merged their bids and are going for 2032 instead leaving UK & Ireland's bid unopposed.

Where have you heard this?

edit, nevermind, I've seen it on skysports news now.

Still time for a last minute bid from Saudi Arabia....

Last edited:
Italy & Turkey have merged their bids and are going for 2032 instead leaving UK & Ireland's 2028 bid unopposed.

Italy and Turkey together is a weird bid, they're not directly next to each other and they don't really share that many similarities

Italy and Turkey together is a weird bid, they're not directly next to each other and they don't really share that many similarities

These kinds of bids are like modern music hit tracks. No one does it alone anymore

Awarded to Portugal, Spain and Morocco, with 3 matches taking place in South America.

I'm sure I've missed it but what's the reason for Hampden Park being selected? It's a shitehole, especially compared to Ibrox or Celtic Park.

I'd recommend that fans bring binoculars with them so they can see the pitch but they'll probably get stolen by some wee Ned on the way to the game.

I'm sure I've missed it but what's the reason for Hampden Park being selected? It's a shitehole, especially compared to Ibrox or Celtic Park.

I think they're planning to do maintenance and upgrades prior to the Euros.