U19s: Mladen Ramljak Memorial Tournament (1-4 August)

Dinamo’s 17-year old striker Mislav Čutuk has, similar to Biancheri, scored four goals including two penalties.

Watching the Dinamo-Juve game and having watched United this morning, I think it’s obvious playing three 80-minute games in three days takes its toll.

All four teams looking a bit leggy. So the longer recovery time should definitely work in our favour tomorrow.

Dinamo doesn’t look as physically dominating as they tend to.

60’ 0-0
I was thinking about that in the U16 tournament when our performances dropped with each group game.

I guess it's to do with timeframes and the tournaments not taking too long while allowing a good amount of teams to participate, but asking kids to play a number of games on consecutive days always seems strange - especially when senior players never do, and there's often talk about how limited days between matches increases the chances of fatigue, injuries, etc.

I was thinking about that in the U16 tournament when our performances dropped with each group game.

I guess it's to do with timeframes and the tournaments not taking too long while allowing a good amount of teams to participate, but asking kids to play a number of games on consecutive days always seems strange - especially when senior players never do, and there's often talk about how limited days between matches increases the chances of fatigue, injuries, etc.

Yeah in my experience it works all right up to say U14s level but after that it’s a bit too much to ask for. Then again these 16-18 year old players recover much quicker than grown adults. So the injury risk is not that huge in my opinion.

I think it’s good if you think of it as a pre-season experience. Might not result in perfect performances but works well in terms of getting the match sharpness up.

But 16 hours between this one and the final is a bit ridiculous for whoever goes through.

Last edited:
FT 1-0 Dinamo.

Last second winner, although they would’ve won the group with a draw anyway. Deserved winners it must be said. Four shots on target to Juve’s zero.

A bit of a brawl just before and after final whistle as Juventus’ CB Javier Gil got sent off for a second yellow.

So it will be the hosts in the final tomorrow. We beat them 5-4 in a crazy match last summer. Good pressure for the boys to play in front of the home crowd.

The final will be broadcast live on Dinamo+. Either on their website or in the app. Arena Sport 1 in Croatia showing it too.

Last edited:
FT 1-0 Dinamo.

Last second winner, although they would’ve won the group with a draw anyway. Deserved winners it must be said. Four shots on target to Juve’s zero.

A bit of a brawl just before and after final whistle as Juventus’ CB Javier Gil got sent off for a second yellow.

So it will be the hosts in the final tomorrow. We beat them 5-4 in a crazy match last summer. Good pressure for the boys to play in front of the home crowd.

The final will be broadcast live on Dinamo+. Either on their website or in the app. Arena Sport 1 in Croatia showing it too.
What time is it ?

Watching the Dinamo-Juve game and having watched United this morning, I think it’s obvious playing three 80-minute games in three days takes its toll.

With that in mind it’s a bit surprising we haven’t rotated the starting XI more than we have.

All four teams looking a bit leggy. So the longer recovery time should definitely work in our favour tomorrow.

Dinamo doesn’t look as physically dominating as they tend to.

60’ 0-0
Utd won’t change the lineup. They have players there with no game time no chance to shine. It’s a shame. Other tournaments are for development but they want to win this one. Players can’t develop without game time or experience in these types of tournaments. Same players playing will be tired but no changes expected I assume

Utd won’t change the lineup. They have players there with no game time no chance to shine. It’s a shame. Other tournaments are for development but they want to win this one. Players can’t develop without game time or experience in these types of tournaments. Same players playing will be tired but no changes expected I assume

United have always prioritized development over winning. Don’t think they treat this competition any different. Yes of course they want to win every match and tournament, but not at the cost of individual development.

And to be fair all players (apart from Heath) have played in all of the games as far as I know. So every player has had their chance to shine.

It’s also very understandable that 13-year old players get less game time in an U19s tournament. Their time to shine will come but everyone, including the players themselves have to be patient. It’s a good start at this level to be involved from the bench.

But I do agree with the assumption that it will more or less the same. They have changed a couple of players for every game so we could see Fitzgerald and/or Kamason come in to the starting eleven.

Last edited:
Final day:

07:30 BST | Panathinaikos vs Trenčín (7/8)
08:30 BST | Rapid 2(5)-2(4) Juventus (3/4)
08:45 BST | Djurgården vs Udinese (5/6)
10:30 BST | Dinamo vs United (Final)

Last edited:
Caught the end of the 3/4 match and it seems it was 2x30min. So I guess it’s the same for the final.

Caught the end of the 3/4 match and it seems it was 2x30min. So I guess it’s the same for the final.
That would seem strange, to reduce the length of time for the final.

Though, given what we were saying yesterday, I can definitely see the thinking behind doing it for the less important final games of seeing who finished 7th/8th, etc.

But can't imagine it was pre-planned to have a shorter final than the group games? Though if they've had feedback that players are struggling, and all clubs agree, then I can understand and support a change like that as asking youngsters to keep playing games every day does seem a bit much.

That would seem strange, to reduce the length of time for the final.

Though, given what we were saying yesterday, I can definitely see the thinking behind doing it for the less important final games of seeing who finished 7th/8th, etc.

But can't imagine it was pre-planned to have a shorter final than the group games? Though if they've had feedback that players are struggling, and all clubs agree, then I can understand and support a change like that as asking youngsters to keep playing games every day does seem a bit much.

I’m sure it was pre-planned (if it indeed is shorter), they’re not going to change the rules at the last minute. It could also be that the other placement matches are shorter than the final to be able to cram them all into the morning.

I’m sure it was pre-planned (if it indeed is shorter), they’re not going to change the rules at the last minute. It could also be that the other placement matches are shorter than the final to be able to cram them all into the morning.
Yeah, that's what I was clumsily trying to say. That I could understand a pre-planned idea to have the comparatively unimportant placement matches reduced in time, but can't imagine they'd pre-plan a shortened final to the whole tournament.

So if they're sticking to the plan, I'd expect an 80 minute final.

United XI:

Harrison
McAllister
Mills
Armer
Kamason
Devaney
Fitzgerald
Baumann
Fletcher
Mantato
Biancheri

Will be interesting to see how we lineup in the forward positions.

Looks like it’s Baumann on the left and Fitzgerald as the highest of the three in midfield.

1’

Harrison with a big save early on! Brilliant reflexes to deny the finish from a couple of meters out.

Kamason lost his duel and let the winger get into the box. What’s even worse is that we had four players on the near post marking no-one and Dinamo had three players unmarked at the far post.

13’

Fitzgerald plays in Biancheri who fails to get his shot on target inside the box. Good chance, well played by Baumann and Fitzgerald.

18’

Tyler Fletcher loses the ball in midfield and the hosts counter with pace. Good move in the box leads to a decent chance. Harrison with a nice save with his feet to deny them from taking a two-goal lead.

Tyler Fletcher doesn’t give up on the wing and gets into the box. Biancheri similarly fights for the ball in front of the goal and the ball bounces to Mantato.

The winger keeps his composure and finds Devaney at the edge of the box. Good finish to the far corner although it did take a small deflection on the way in.

Jacob Devaney keeps impressing. Assured on the ball, strong in duels. An underrated prospect.

It’s been quite an even encounter so far. Apart from JD, Tyler Fletcher, Jayce Fitzgerald and Gabi Biancheri have all been decent.

Last edited:
38’

Very good chance for Mantato with his stronger foot. Brilliant play from McAllister to release the winger. Good run into the box but the shot goes just a bit over and wide of the far top corner.

Last edited:
41’

Biancheri turns past his marker on the right side of the box and plays a decent ball across the goal. Baumann failed to reach it for a tap-in.