Transfer Tweets - 2014/15 | Stay On Topic & No Blacklisted Tweets (see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If thats true, why the hell weren't we in for him?

Where's the philosophy in that?!

Place a bigger bid than the competition & see if money talks..

Few pages back, a few tweets suggested that he was adamant about CL football, so we never placed a bid.

If thats true, why the hell weren't we in for him?

Where's the philosophy in that?!

Place a bigger bid than the competition & see if money talks..

Because Van Gaal likes the central defenders he has. Rightly so. They'll prove their worth as soon as we sack off the 352 and give them a real opportunity.

Ironic to say the least.

Read my post again & then click on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy
Yeah but you were using it in the context that van Gaal has been using it, his footballing philosophy. By saying we should sign this guy just because he's a good player, you're dismissing and overlooking the fact that van Gaal has a multitude of criteria for selecting which players to buy. I hate this attitude that every single time another team signs a good player, certain fans feel obliged to come out with "I can't believe we weren't in for him." There could be any number of reasons why, not least the player's desire, which you also seemed to dismiss by saying we should have pressured him into it. Is that really the kind of signing we want?

Why would he be joking? They deserve a chance to shine before we sack them off as not good enough.

How many chances do you give a player to show he's up to it?

Smalling: signed in 2010 & has never looked a United-standard CB. Fergie rarely played him there (obviously from assessing him from training sessions) & he signed him as the long-term successor to Rio. He's a poor man's Varane.

Jones: signed in 2011 & is famous for the kites he pulls & his injuries due to diving into stupid challenges - not his footballing ability.

I'm at a loss, as to why folk still maintain that our players are better or as good as our rivals. Performances tell the true story & its rediculous to claim our players are all top 4 standard - when they're not.

Yeah, I'm assuming it's with an option to buy though. Either way, I think it's safe to say we won't see much of him in a United shirt in the future.

I wouldn't read too much into it. What he needs is playing time, get him at Palace and playing regular football might lift his confidence and get him playing good football again. He's got time to turn it around.

How many chances do you give a player to show he's up to it?

Smalling: signed in 2010 & has never looked a United-standard CB. Fergie rarely played him there (obviously from assessing him from training sessions) & he signed him as the long-term successor to Rio. He's a poor man's Varane.

Jones: signed in 2011 & is famous for the kites he pulls & his injuries due to diving into stupid challenges - not his footballing ability.

I'm at a loss, as to why folk still maintain that our players are better or as good as our rivals. Performances tell the true story & its rediculous to claim our players are all top 4 standard - when they're not.
Neither Smalling nor Jones have had one full season at United as a centre-back. Jones has also started the season reasonably well and Smalling has all the right attributes. SAF also played him (and Jones) out of position because of injuries and weaknesses in the squad, not because he didn't rate them. This is the wrong thread for this discussion though.

33 years old in a few months, how long will he perform at the highest level?

He only needs to do so until those players are fit again, very good signing for a short term fix

33 years old in a few months, how long will he perform at the highest level?

They haven't given him a 5 year contract have they?

And his game has never relied on pace. So I don't know what his age has got to do with it. He's a very good short term fix for them.

He only needs to do so until those players are fit again, very good signing for a short term fix
Yeah, fair point. Could have just loaned him then. Real could do with the cover when the schedule gets cramped in the spring if they don't buy a new CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.