g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Irwin99

Lindelof has been here since 2017 for feck sake.

It was clear after a year he wasn't very good, mental he's lasted 7 years.
That's been the problem for years. Pogba, Lingard, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, DDG, Fred, Young, Darmian, Martial, McTominay, Mata, Matic . There's some decent players and good people there but they stuck around for five seasons or more even when it was clear that it wasn't/isn't working.

Borussia Teeth

Correct decision. An okay player but been here years and never showed enough to be considered a starter. Should still get roughly €30million for him.
No chance are we getting that. He's in the last year of his contract and he earns a lot more than the type of interested clubs would pay him

sparx99

I know Onana has been...erratic. But is GK really top of the priorities, given the finances? Might help if we gave whoever's in goal less to do, by combination of changes to system and at least 3 significant changes to the first team outfield personnel.
Depends doesn’t it. If you could sell Onana to a Saudi club and break even would you? I fancy he could still attract that kind of interest.

If they do change manager it’s possible the new coach would just not fancy him and sign a cheaper goalie and leave him out.

Hester_manc

Lindelof wouldn’t even play at city if all their defenders were injured, Pep would play midfielders in defence before him, he’s nowhere near good enough for top level teams, never has been, just another example of our terrible transfer policy the last decade.
I agree. When I say that Lindelöf is a good defender, I am thinking that his level fits a club in the middle of the tabel. That means that he is useful for us because our team not is a top team right now, but we have to replace him with a better player, if we have ambitions and want to become a top club again.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That's just not true.

He's never looked great for Utd. He's had good games here and there but he's never been consistently good enough.
I would actually argue his worst period was during Mourinhos time here. Improved under OGS. But never great.

Djemba-Djemba

I would actually argue his worst period was during Mourinhos time here. Improved under OGS. But never great.
Yeah I'd completely agree with that.

Mourinho even did interviews at the time defending Lindelof because he'd started badly here, the idea he was great during that time is nonsense.

lysglimt

Scout
Personally I will be really happy if we boot Onana out the door and replace him with a goalkeeper who actually saves shots consistently - if he also can pass the ball that is great.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah I'd completely agree with that.

Mourinho even did interviews at the time defending Lindelof because he'd started badly here, the idea he was great during that time is nonsense.
I remember always criticizing his ability in the air. Then watching sky sports one day with Jose on the panel, Lindelof is doing his Pre-match practice in the background and misses a header :lol:

Wrecking ralf

I don’t ever remember Linda being ‘great’. He’s never been appalling, He’s been decent the whole time but I think great is a stretch.
Nah I remember that initial switch he had from LCB to RCB and he totally changed. Looked double the player almost. He’s actually got it in him to be very good, just doesn’t show with us. The prem is just so much harder and faster than other leagues, he’d be brilliant in Italy.

VWW

that picture makes it look like Getafe havent been feeding him

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
From his perspective, this would make a lot of sense. Go and take a huge payday, that is about all he is going to get out of his career for the next few years. Italian and Spanish clubs who would want him can't afford what we are going to ask. England aren't going to pick him either so there's no need to be playing at a high level for that either.

Dazzmondo

No chance Greenwood agrees to go to Saudi at this stage of his career. There are plenty of other good clubs in good leagues that want him. Utd will 100% buckle and sell him at a cut price. They've already decided they don't want to keep him and are trying to play up this "will only sell for a good price" despite having 0 leverage.

hobbers

60m euros for a home grown would be incredible. Probably pay for 2 or 3 relatively big money signings as far as spending rules are concerned.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
From his perspective, this would make a lot of sense. Go and take a huge payday, that is about all he is going to get out of his career for the next few years. Italian and Spanish clubs who would want him can't afford what we are going to ask. England aren't going to pick him either so there's no need to be playing at a high level for that either.
People will have likely have moved on in 2 years and if he keeps himself fit and firing, he'll get a move back to a top European club.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
People will have likely have moved on in 2 years and if he keeps himself fit and firing, he'll get a move back to a top European club.
I agree. If I was in his position I would take a 3 year deal and ask for loans to European Clubs during the season breaks like Landon Donovan and Beckham used to do from MLS. He would end up set for life and have a platform back in with still 8 years or so towards the top of the game.

the_cliff

I agree. If I was in his position I would take a 3 year deal and ask for loans to European Clubs during the season breaks like Landon Donovan and Beckham used to do from MLS. He would end up set for life and have a platform back in with still 8 years or so towards the top of the game.
The Saudi season and the European seasons are the same. The reason MLS players can do that is because their seasons begin in Feb and end in October iirc.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The Saudi season and the European seasons are the same. The reason MLS players can do that is because their seasons begin in Feb and end in October iirc.
I thought the Saudi seasons were offset from ours slightly, my mistake. More broadly speaking I feel like the point stands, take the ungodly amount of money and wait for it to blow over before going to a mainland European club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source (Tier 2):
  • Ten Hag is crazy about De Jong
  • The Dutchman still has his sights set on signing him
  • Frenkie, who Xavi considers essential, still not replying to Barça's renewal offer
  • If Frenkie refuses Barcelona's latest contract offer, then they'll put him up for sale.
  • Regardless, they will consider selling de Jong if they get a very good offer.

Von Mistelroum

Source (Tier 2):

• If Frenkie refuses Barcelona's latest contract offer, then they'll put him up for sale.
What a summer this will be!... Please get Ten Hag out for Christ's sake...

Dazzmondo

Source (Tier 2):

The De Jong saga never ends

Dannn411

Koopmeiners, Neves and De Jong all joining would completely transform the team. That's like the best possible summer we can hope for.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Source (Tier 2):

feck off already

De Jong that is, not you

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Source (Tier 2):

I reckon there’s a chance Uncle Jim could deliver this time….

lysglimt

Scout
We aren't going to spend £200m+ on midfielders.
The problem is - we need so many players, we wont be able to get the players we need regardless.

We probably need 3 central defenders, 3 central midfielders, a winger, a striker and a left-back :)

So unless we can raise £100 million+ in sales - it will be a bleak window for us.