Transfer Tweets - 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd be a good signing. Matic and Velencia cover wrapped into the one player.

Agree. Could even add cover/replacement for Herrera when playing a 3 man midfield. Probably reduced in price from last window as well, but I kinda think he's not Jose's type of player, otherwise we'd have put in a bid last summer (instead waiting on Matic).

Fabinho reached such preposterous levels of overrating last season, i was delighted we didn't sign him at the time. As for now, at a reasonable fee, and as a rotational squad player, I'd take him on. More interested in his ability to be a good cover for Valencia. I don't rate him very highly as a midfielder. I'm also fully prepared to eat my words.

Fabinho reached such preposterous levels of overrating last season, i was delighted we didn't sign him at the time. As for now, at a reasonable fee, and as a rotational squad player, I'd take him on. More interested in his ability to be a good cover for Valencia. I don't rate him very highly as a midfielder. I'm also fully prepared to eat my words.
I can scarce recall seeing him play but based upon being a contrarian I can confidently say I thought he would be a very good signing, but only as a right-back.

So they're allowed go on loan and play football.

He kicked up a massive fuss in the summer about always being on loan, then suddenly he signs on the dotted line, six months later a long loan in a non competitive league.

What Nick said. If he didn't sign it, he'd be rotting on the bench for 6 months or more. His old contract expired in 2019.

Rather rot for 6 months than waste a career going from one loan to the next.

I don’t really get it, how is Wenger going to play all of Lacazette, Aubameyang, Ozil and Mkhitaryan in their best positions? I would have said if they stuck to 3 at the back that Ozil behind a front 2 of Aubameyang and Lacazette would be great, but Mkhi wouldn’t start.

There have been reports of Ozil possibly signing a new contract but if he does leave in the summer and Wenger goes back to 3 at the back then it could make sense with Mkhitaryan at 10 behind Laca+Auba.

If they’re going to play something stupid like a 4-2-3-1, none of those players’ best positions are out wide and even though I’m sure someone will tell me Ozil has been doing great starting on the right and cutting in on his left recently, it’s still a bit too many mega-signings being shoehorned into relatively unfamiliar positions, regardless of how ‘interchangeable and fluid’ their attack will be.

What's the deal with Ornstein and the memes?
For Arsenal fans, if Ornstein says something it is as good as if their official website said it so they've turned him into some sort of deity. In some of the memes you see John Cross (Mirror Arsenal columnist), Sky, Balague etc bowing down to Ornstein or Ozil smiling and pointing at Ornstein and all that kinda stuff.

With Mkhi, Boomerang, Laca and Ozil, I'd fancy Arsenal to go on one of their storming runs and nab 4th ahead of Liverpool and Spurs. But it depends on how much fatigue they accumulate from the EL as well.
I dont see it. Even if they hit the ground running i feel they are far too light at the back

With Mkhi, Boomerang, Laca and Ozil, I'd fancy Arsenal to go on one of their storming runs and nab 4th ahead of Liverpool and Spurs. But it depends on how much fatigue they accumulate from the EL as well.
I don't see that happening to be honest. They are just buying players who are available rather than players they need. What they need is a pure winger or a proper DM.
If they buy Auba then they will have 2 strikers and two #10 playing together. They will end up playing very narrow with 4 players or all of their attackers occupying the central areas.
The other problem is Auba, Mikhi and Lacazette are better suited to a counter attacking setup, especially Auba. With little or no space to run into, I can see him struggle. We all know how easily mikhi can be dispossessed. It's not that bad for us since we tend to sit back a bit unlike Arsenal who press high up the field. It could make them susceptible to counter attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akshay
I dont see it. Even if they hit the ground running i feel they are far too light at the back

So are Liverpool and it could be a race between Arsenal and Liverpool as to who performs worse defensively. Spurs are admittedly better than both at defending, but I feel they are too dependent on their attack and somewhat unconvincing this season.

I don't see that happening to be honest. They are just buying players who are available rather than players they need. What they need is a pure winger or a proper DM.
If they buy Auba then they will have 2 strikers and two #10 playing together. They will end up playing very narrow with 4 players or all of their attackers occupying the central areas.
The other problem is Auba, Mikhi and Lacazette are better suited to a counter attacking setup, especially Auba. With little or no space to run into, I can see him struggle. We all know how easily mikhi can be dispossessed. It's not that bad for us since we tend to sit back a bit unlike Arsenal who press high up the field. It could make them susceptible to counter attacks.

I think Auba can play on the wing to an extent. Could be Auba-Laca-Mkhi with Ozil as #10. Though Mkhi was shite for us, he actually does do a decent job on the RW in proper circumstances.

Its' true Wenger often prioritizes "opportunistic signings" over what he actually needs, but this has a chance to definitely click. And if it does, Liverpool are in trouble.

What is the point of these youngsters signing contract extensions?

There was an article not too long ago that said that if they don’t then they are at risk of being totally frozen out. No underage games or loans.

Status
Not open for further replies.