Height: 180cm
Position: Midfield - Defensive Midfield
Squad Number: #65
Foot: Right
Player Agent: CAA Base Ltd
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2027
Contract Option: club option 1 year
Last contract extension: Jul 11, 2024​

So, this guy is talked about here and there as a squad option in midfield for next season. He is 20 now and i personally have not seen anything from him that suggest he is good enough. Have i missed something, he really is a top level talent..?

So, this guy is talked about here and there as a squad option in midfield for next season. He is 20 now and i personally have not seen anything from him that suggest he is good enough. Have i missed something, he really is a top level talent..?
Not necessarily top level, but does he need to be? Guys like O'Shea and Phil Neville were always good squad options. Fletcher never looked much at first but came into his own eventually.

Not everyone is a world beater at 17.

Not necessarily top level, but does he need to be? Guys like O'Shea and Phil Neville were always good squad options. Fletcher never looked much at first but came into his own eventually.

Not everyone is a world beater at 17.
If he can reach the level of the players mentioned here i would be very happy.

Collyer looked a lot happier once United started dominating the ball and his main task was sweeping up behind midfield. Showed good positional awareness doing that. Nothing groundbreaking but it doesn't really need to be. Looks like he could be valuable just doing the simple stuff a defensive midfielder is supposed to. Plus his use of the ball, while nothing to write home about, was not a disaster. We've had to put up with people playing in midfield whose second touch is a tackle or who couldn't pass go in monopoly. Collyer is no Michael Carrick but he is competent. These days its always a relief to see someone playing #6 for us who doesn't treat the ball like a grenade.

First time watching him. Looks good. Would not be surprised to see him get minutes this season.

I think he can be a decent squad option. Has a combination of physicality and mobility that we don't really have in the squad. All our midfielders have one or the other.

He kinda makes Hannibal redundant as Collyer can take the position of being backup if United's midfield gets an injury crisis.

He just needs to stay fit and get minutes on Tour.

I can see there is something there, but I'm not sure he's ready yet physically. Hopefully will get a bit smarter in these friendlies and if he can cope with the physicality, he'll be very useful.

IMO Plays like he reads his FBref stats after each game. Very safe and pragmatic.

I saw an few opportunities for him to put his head up and turn or find a progressive pass. Young players shouldn’t be afraid to take risks and play with the ball. That’s how they grow.

I can see there is something there, but I'm not sure he's ready yet physically yet. Hopefully will get a bit smarter in these friendlies and if he can cope with the physicality, he'll be very useful.
For sure. As usual it's easier trying to bed these players into a team functioning well in a settled system.

He's hoping we can achieve that 5-6 games into the new season and start to blood players in the last 15 mins of games.

For sure. As usual it's easier trying to bed these players into a team functioning well in a settled system.

He's hoping we can achieve that 5-6 games into the new season and start to blood players in the last 15 mins of games.
Only things that worry me is he thinks he has more time on the ball than he does. Leads to not protecting the ball properly, will be looking for him to improve on that in these games. I'm sure he can though.

The tests for his readiness are yet to come. Towards the end of preseason, where teams are much fitter and fine tuned for the upcoming season, we’ll see if he can handle the information he has to process as well as what happens to him once everything speeds up and has split second decisions to make.

He’s certainly physically ready for the men’s game, so how well he actually holds such an important position will determine whether he is going to feature in the first squad proper or be sent on loan.

I think Oyedele is better personally.
Wow! That’s an interesting take. I personally think Collyer is miles ahead! Oyedele will be playing league two football is my prediction!

Collyer really impressed me today. His strength maturity and reading of the game looked very good. He covered so much ground as well. Reminded me of a young Darren Fletcher

Wow! That’s an interesting take. I personally think Collyer is miles ahead! Oyedele will be playing league two football is my prediction!

Collyer really impressed me today. His strength maturity and reading of the game looked very good. He covered so much ground as well. Reminded me of a young Darren Fletcher
Why though? Oyedele was excellent in the U18s and was part of a fantastic FA Youth Cup winning side. Collyer hasn’t shown a right lot really, especially at United. I’ll be honest I feel like a lot of you haven’t actually seen either play and the last two games is the first exposure a lot of people have had for either player.

@Adnan what are your thoughts on Collyer. Always interested in your perception of a young player.
I said very early on that Collyer was a very interesting young player in the thread I created a few years back in the youth section of the forum. Once I saw him play for us, what impressed me was his ability to receive passes from different angles and he then had the ability to distribute the ball with either foot. He also came into a young United side at the time that was dysfunctional and I don't think we really saw the best of him. Brighton had sidelined him for a full season due to him not signing a contract with them, and he eventually left on a free transfer and we ended up signing him. So his development as a young player definitely suffered due to not playing a full season at Brighton because they were pissed off about him not committing his future to them.

Whether he's good enough to be a regular in a United team remains to be seen. But he's the only midfielder we have at the club who could potentially play the pivot role. And the pivot role as it's defined by the Spaniards is a deeper lying midfield position where one midfield player will stay positionally disciplined with the ability to receive passes under pressure. And then we'll see (especially in the game today) other players pivot around him like a midfield partner in the build up phase and then a fullback inverting into midfield to occupy the space vacated by the free roaming deeper playmaker. But the pivot player will always stays positionally disciplined with moving parts around him. Mainoo isn't that player and neither is Oyedele who is a Ugarte type of combative midfielder. Mainoo's skilset is one where you allow him the freedom to roam forward and create plays.

I think there's more development to come and the early signs are promising and I think there's more to come from him, because from what I know he was a deeper lying playmaker at Brighton in their youth teams and his ability to dictate games was quite evident. People will always make comparisons to players from the past and Michael Carrick has been brought up by some posters. But it's not about emulating Carrick but rather it's about being a option for Man Utd's team in the coming seasons. If he can achieve that, then it's a massive achievement. And even Carrick at 25 years old when he arrived at the club was called a bum by many fans.

Erik ten Hag obviously likes Toby Collyer and that doesn't surprise me. But it's about taking your chance as a young player and I think Collyer will be given a chance to stake a claim after his contract extension. I think he has shown some very interesting attributes for the deeper midfield position and he potentially has a well rounded game both in-possession and out of possession along with being intelligent with a high IQ.

Below are brief highlights from when he was at Brighton as a 17 year old. And you can clearly see that he had the passing ability to make a difference from a holding midfield position. So it all depends on the player to take his chance and fulfil the potential the coaches see in him.

He looks very comfortable on either foot and is pinging passes with comsumate ease with his left or right peg. Looks to be very mobile too, which is something that is important to have in the game today.

I also won't be on for a while, so if someone tags me I won't be able to respond for at least a few months. Hopefully we see a strong and dominant United in the new season.

Played like a kid and not in a good way. Started shakily but got better as the game progressed. I don't see him as adequate cover for the double pivot role. Maybe a couple of run outs in the league cup and that's about it.

Anyone else surprised by how fast he is? Did not expect that at all.

Anyone else surprised by how fast he is? Did not expect that at all.

Yeah for a guy his size he moves well. That along with the willingness to play as a 6 (because most won't) can go a fair way.

Started poorly but improved, losing the ball under pressure at 1 min 50 seconds before Rangers won a freekick but then some neat and tidy passing some running down the left to support Murray around the 7th minute.

Gave away a freekick around 9 mins, might be a bit unlucky as he may have won the ball. Backheel in the 10th minute, wasnt particularly needed or effective but didnt give the ball away with it arriving to AWB. Then gave away another freekick on 11 mins. Gave away another freekick on 13 mins with his foot up a little bit and catching a player.

After 15 mins he wasnt involved much with the ball or an opponent with the ball until he wins the ball on 26 mins covering after Amad lost the ball with a poor pass to AWB. Ran back and the Rangers player miscontrolled, and Collyer used his body to shield it. Then some neat and tidy passing in the 27th minute as he saw the ball a few times. A good pass down the side for AWB to get into a crossing position. Good tracking on 29 minutes theres a long throw from the keeper and he sprints to get into position and head off the attack.

Made a run past Amad on 44 mins in the chance set up for Sancho that he blazed over.

Misstimed a lot of challenges/tackles but was happy to use his legs and run and get into those situations to help the team and at times particularly in the first 20 mins dropped deep at times to give players a passing option. when trying to play out from the back. Then he started to take up some positions further forward where he didnt get many touches of the ball. A good attitude runner who mostly plays it simple and neatly.

Him and Ugarte(if we sign him) should be plenty of cover for the DM/No.6 position. Play him in the dead rubber Europa League/FA Cup/League Cup games.

He looks a bit raw, but all DM midfielders mature in their mid 20's. Even the likes of Fletcher and Carrick have hit their peak around 24-26 year old.

I did not see the game but I see he got a good rating in the reports I have read.
Good to see a young English player doing well in a position that we have struggled in for quite a while.

Lad glides across the pitch really nice, we haven’t got too many CM’s with pace so that could be useful.

Definitely looks taller than 180cm

I think my first post in the match day thread for the Rosenborg game was 'why does he look like a giant on the pitch?'. Then I came to the conclusion that 1) he was actually quite tall 2) some of the Rosenborg players were actually short and after today's game realised 3) he wears his socks almost down to his ankles so it makes him look even lankier than usual.

Started poorly but improved, losing the ball under pressure at 1 min 50 seconds before Rangers won a freekick but then some neat and tidy passing some running down the left to support Murray around the 7th minute.

Gave away a freekick around 9 mins, might be a bit unlucky as he may have won the ball. Backheel in the 10th minute, wasnt particularly needed or effective but didnt give the ball away with it arriving to AWB. Then gave away another freekick on 11 mins. Gave away another freekick on 13 mins with his foot up a little bit and catching a player.

After 15 mins he wasnt involved much with the ball or an opponent with the ball until he wins the ball on 26 mins covering after Amad lost the ball with a poor pass to AWB. Ran back and the Rangers player miscontrolled, and Collyer used his body to shield it. Then some neat and tidy passing in the 27th minute as he saw the ball a few times. A good pass down the side for AWB to get into a crossing position. Good tracking on 29 minutes theres a long throw from the keeper and he sprints to get into position and head off the attack.

Made a run past Amad on 44 mins in the chance set up for Sancho that he blazed over.

Misstimed a lot of challenges/tackles but was happy to use his legs and run and get into those situations to help the team and at times particularly in the first 20 mins dropped deep at times to give players a passing option. when trying to play out from the back. Then he started to take up some positions further forward where he didnt get many touches of the ball. A good attitude runner who mostly plays it simple and neatly.

Man you really love detailed analysis and stats. Love it.

I'd agree with your summary. Most of his good plays was mainly off the ball with his powerful running/covering and getting stuck in. Same as against Rosenborg imo. He's not bad on the ball at all and seems to have a decent back-to-goal awareness (e.g when playing triangles in our deep half) but I would like to see his ability in the more congested areas of midfield and when facing forward.

For a youth player, it's pretty impressive and if he progresses, he could become a useful squad player or at least grow into that potential. Depending on our transfers in the summer, he could actually stake a claim in the squad but if not, perhaps a loan might be good.

Last edited:
He was okay.

He was okay in a way that would also be okay in the Premier league or champions league if that makes sense.

I reckon he had a chance to get some appearances. Especially given how Ten Hag views the midfield.

Looked a bit clunky / ungainly in possession in the limited clips I have seen of him playing 'unders' football and friendlies. That's a concern because the PL will be levels above that in terms of intensity.

Did seem noticeably good at winning the ball and screening the back four but need a bit more than that to play CM for United.

Potentially a temporary option as a backup whilst we prioritise other positions but would be surprised if he turned into much more than a mediocre PL player

We’d be daft to pay the £20m for Amrabat with this fella around.

Rather see him as a squad option / Carabao cup etc this season

Looked more useful than Casemiro across the two friendlies. Maybe that says more about Casemiro and his sharp decline though.

I thought he looked good, he looks taller than he actually is somehow, some nice touches and looked quite comfortable and involved.
Impressed me more than James Garner when he played in friendlies, and Garner been quite good for Everton.

Based on that I would like to see Collyer get opportunities in the first team this season.