Timothy Fosu-Mensah | 2017/18 Crystal Palace Performances

Looks one of Palace's best players to be honest.

He looked fairly terrible for the first 15 but got better as the game went on. He looks all at sea when balls are in the air or coming over the top but more settled when the play is in front of him. I'm thinking at this point that right back will be his best position going forward. Once Palace are over their injuries that is where he will play.

He's had a great game. The only player from Palace the commentators have cause to mention and nearly always in a positive context.

He looked fairly terrible for the first 15 but got better as the game went on. He looks all at sea when balls are in the air or coming over the top but more settled when the play is in front of him. I'm thinking at this point that right back will be his best position going forward. Once Palace are over their injuries that is where he will play.

Disagree. There was one ball as you describe where he got outmuscled but that was about it. I also think he looks far better at centre back/right centre back than he has done at right back where positioning for him is an issue. I think he finds it easier to position himself in the correction position when is in the centre and not out wide.

He did OK over the 90. Only won 2 aerial duels over the 90 which was his weakness. He didn't look out of place for a centre back at this level which is good considering that was his first PL in the centre of a back 4 and he is 19.

He did OK over the 90. Only won 2 aerial duels over the 90 which was his weakness. He didn't look out of place for a centre back at this level which is good considering that was his first PL in the centre of a back 4 and he is 19.

He played @ CB vs. Watford under LVG.

Taking Michael Keane's development as an example, I think both him and Axel need 2-3 years of loans and constant football. Observing Valencia's form and fitness at RB however I do think TFM could become a consistent rotation option as early as next season.

He's looked like Palace's best defender in the first few games.

He won't be starting at CB when all their options are fit I wouldn't have thought, then he has to battle with Ward for the RB spot. It is a possibility another manager doesn't favour him. Do you think he looked better than Dann today?

He's young and he'll learn but because of his aerial record, I wouldn't say he's a CB. RB I believe is where he'll end up.

He won't be starting at CB when all their options are fit I wouldn't have thought, then he has to battle with Ward for the RB spot. It is a possibility another manager doesn't favour him. Do you think he looked better than Dann today?

I thought he looked one of the most assured and calm players on the pitch. Palace didn't have a lot to do defensively but I thought he did what he had to do well. Dann was pretty good as well, apart from the 3 big chances he failed to covert from (2 of which he was incredibly unlucky).

He's young and he'll learn but because of his aerial record, I wouldn't say he's a CB. RB I believe is where he'll end up.

Centrally he looks far better than being out wide. That's one of the reasons why I think centre midfield is probably his best position. He's also good physically and athletically. Like I said above he is calm and assured and that coupled with a good passing ability makes for a good player in the centre of the park.

Dann and TFM played well. Palace's problems are elsewhere. Puncheon, Lee and Townsend were particularly useless.

Centrally he looks far better than being out wide. That's one of the reasons why I think centre midfield is probably his best position. He's also good physically and athletically. Like I said above he is calm and assured and that coupled with a good passing ability makes for a good player in the centre of the park.

He's the Dutch O'Shea :drool:

The thing is though that the majority of young CBs aren't particularly strong in the air. His positioning and reading of the game is also much better at CB than RB and his attacking is very weak for a fullback.

If the move to 4 at the back is permanent or if de Boer is sacked he may start struggling for time once Sakho is fit. Hopefully not though as he has been quite good but just can't see him being used over Sakho or Dann.

Taking Michael Keane's development as an example, I think both him and Axel need 2-3 years of loans and constant football. Observing Valencia's form and fitness at RB however I do think TFM could become a consistent rotation option as early as next season.
Especially when we got nothing coming from the right ... Null, absolutely Zero end product as long as Valencia is our right back (keep hitting shin pads) and when he eventually beats his man or have space with his pace, he delays and gets closed down again.

Our attack is toothless because it has been some time now we had genuine width on the right side. If there was a decent right back, the two stoke goals would never have been scored. Valencia is not good offensively and he gets exposed big time defensively when put to real test.

I would have TMF rather than him next year or a new right back signing.

Especially when we got nothing coming from the right ... Null, absolutely Zero end product as long as Valencia is our right back (keep hitting shin pads) and when he eventually beats his man or have space with his pace, he delays and gets closed down again.

Our attack is toothless because it has been some time now we had genuine width on the right side. If there was a decent right back, the two stoke goals would never have been scored. Valencia is not good offensively and he gets exposed big time defensively when put to real test.

I would have TMF rather than him next year or a new right back signing.
If you think Valencia is bad at attacking then you must have not seen much of TFM.

If you think Valencia is bad at attacking then you must have not seen much of TFM.
TFM is a bit like Nani ... you can slate him for his obvious frustrating moments but at the end of the day, he can deliver a killer ball or two form the right which Valencia is just unable to. Expecting any assist or even a quality first time cross these days from Valencia that can reach a United Head is like expecting a 60 years old woman to become a mother.

TFM is a bit like Nani ... you can slate him for his obvious frustrating moments but at the end of the day, he can deliver a killer ball or two form the right which Valencia is just unable to. Expecting any assist or even a quality first time cross these days from Valencia that can reach a United Head is like expecting a 60 years old woman to become a mother.
So, you haven't seen much of him then?

Is there a recall option incase Hodgson doesn't play him?

The worry is if De Boer is sacked (likely) then the next manager doesn't use him.

Been one of their best players so far this season but that might not mean anything to the new manager. Hopefully he can be recalled in Jan if he doesn't get enough games.

A 30 second scroll through Twitter shows the fans of rate him highly and feel sorry for him having to put up with the rest of the team.

A 30 second scroll through Twitter shows the fans of rate him highly and feel sorry for him having to put up with the rest of the team.

Good to hear that. May be Jose sees him replacing Valencia next season - explains why we didn't go for Aurier

Crystal Palace forum seems to think CB isn't his best position and would do better at RB, with Sakho and Dann at CB.

Crystal Palace forum seems to think CB isn't his best position and would do better at RB, with Sakho and Dann at CB.
So basically the same old issue we have with his development: he is flawed for a position, but has potential for another position, which again he seems to be flawed too...

Great to see almost all palace fans rate him highly for his performances.

He should be playing RB for Palace, Ward is pretty crap going forward. At CB TFM didn't have much to do against Southampton, his attacking talent and instinct are getting wasted at CB. I'm afraid once Sakho is fit, TFM will be benched.

So basically the same old issue we have with his development: he is flawed for a position, but has potential for another position, which again he seems to be flawed too...
Not particularly a problem or a major flaw when the player is doing well and if he fulfils expectations.

I'm glad he's doing well there. I watched a few minutes of the match yesterday but had to turn it over, it was just too boring, both sides were awful.