Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
His dad has told MD that he doesn't know his son's final destination, but that it must be decided in the next few days as pre season training is starting (on the 15th with Barca)
http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130...-barca-posible-marcha-thiago_54377327496.html

There is also a comment there that if he now officially asks the club for the transfer, Barca will talk to the buying club rather than forcing use of the release clause. A line I hadn't heard before, but may make sense if there are some bonus payments linked to it.

Having seen that and being told that MD is the reliable one and Sport is the rag, this makes me far more pessimistic. Sport's swap deal talk discredits them further for me.

His dad has told MD that he doesn't know his son's final destination, but that it must be decided in the next few days as pre season training is starting (on the 15th with Barca)

His son deserves a slap for taking this long to make a decision. In fact, give Mazinho a slap as well for not teaching his kids to be decisive.

I bet Thiago is loving all the attention he is getting. fecking idiot. If he so loves Barcelona that he is having such a hard time to leave their bench, then maybe he shouldn't leave at all, but please make a decision soon. From United's perspective, this deal should have been wrapped up before we left for the tour, and it doesn't look like it will be.

Yeah i bet we won't see anything new before we go on tour, and nothing is going to happen when Moyes isn't there. I hope to feck if he eventually decides to come, he's ready for the season opener

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130...-barca-posible-marcha-thiago_54377327496.html

There is also a comment there that if he now officially asks the club for the transfer, Barca will talk to the buying club rather than forcing use of the release clause. A line I hadn't heard before, but may make sense if there are some bonus payments linked to it.

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well.

As I said the other day, if he truly wanted to leave Barca then this would be a done deal by now. Hope he's not just seeking a bit of attention after living in the shadow of great players that get all the recognition.

I suppose it fits in with what Moyes said also about time closing in on us with regards to doing a deal before the tour. Possibly a bit of a nudge for Thiago to make up his mind.

As I said the other day, if he truly wanted to leave Barca then this would be a done deal by now. Hope he's nor just seekig a bit of attention after living in the shadow of great players that get all the recognition.

I suppose it fits in with what Moyes said also about time cloaing in on us with regards to doing a deal before the tour. Possibly a bit of a nudge for Thiago to make up his mind.

The problem Thiago would have by staying at Barca - as I see it - is that he still won't be getting the number of minutes he craves. Yes, he may raise his profile and get a better contract, but he's ultimately still going to be down in the pecking order.

Hopefully this is just a case of him leaving with a heavy heart, but still wanting to come to us because he sees the opportunity of becoming the lynchpin for a top side.

I'd be worried about these Bayern rumours, but they already have exceptional strength in the CM area. If they do end up nicking Thiago, then Moyes should be right on the phone enquiring about Kroos.

Well, Javi Martinez did have a release clause, he wanted to leave and yet Bayern only completed the transfer on August 29. It's rarely simple with transfers, it seems.

Then again, I think the chances of Thiago signing for us are remote at best now.

Well, Javi Martinez did have a release clause, he wanted to leave and yet Bayern only completed the transfer on August 29. It's rarely simple with transfers, it seems.

Then again, I think the chances of Thiago signing for us are remote at best now.

Yeah, but IIRC Martinez had a more tricky release clause, and Bayern's top brass were publicly baulking at it. It's widely accepted that we'll be able to stump up the pennies for Thiago, and there's not a thing Barca can do about it, but this one comes down to whether he wants to leave. TBH, if he is having second thoughts, it is understandable - he'd be leaving the best club side around for the past five years and a big football club to boot. Our best hope is that he's ambitious and wants game-time ahead of the World Cup.

The difference here is that it is the player who is unable to decide what he really wants. The equation really is simple for him. Manchester United = more game time, more money, and a chance to walk into Scholes's shoes. Barcelona = a chance in the future to walk into Xavi's shoes, better city. He needs to ball up and decide what he wants.

Yeah, but IIRC Martinez had a more tricky release clause, and Bayern's top brass were publicly baulking at it. It's widely accepted that we'll be able to stump up the pennies for Thiago, and there's not a thing Barca can do about it, but this one comes down to whether he wants to leave. TBH, if he is having second thoughts, it is understandable - he'd be leaving the best club side around for the past five years and a big football club to boot. Our best hope is that he's ambitious and wants game-time ahead of the World Cup.

The difference here is that it is the player who is unable to decide what he really wants. The equation really is simple for him. Manchester United = more game time, more money, and a chance to walk into Scholes's shoes. Barcelona = a chance in the future to walk into Xavi's shoes, better city. He needs to ball up and decide what he wants.

Yeah, that's all true. He could have made up his mind by now though.

Will this thread be locked on August 1?

It could be that Mazinho's not telling the press (for obvious reasons) where his son is going; however, if that's not the case, he might regret selling that restaurant...

It could be that Mazinho's not telling the press (for obvious reasons) where his son is going; however, if that's not the case, he might regret selling that restaurant...
Isnt that so his son can announce his decision himself?

I too, optimistically, swayed this way when I read it. I can't imagine Mazinho would just say "Oh, He's going to United. Has he not told you guys yet?!". I believe Thiago knows where he wants to be. I also think that if it was Barca, he would have just said outright ages ago. Perhaps he is apprehensive of the backlash of being big, bad Thiago who dare leave Barca to go to a "beta club" as their fans so put it. I still believe it will be us, based on blind faith. It just doesn't seem to make much sense that he's waited this long if he's going to stay at Barca. He's probably still enjoying his holiday, though whilst I believe he isn't abroad anymore, he's still having 'time off' until the Barca boys are back in training.

Stop worrying, it's a done deal. I haven't felt like this since we almost signed Ronaldinho, its gonna happen,have faith

I think that it was just his Dad's way of side-stepping the question rather than that Thiago hasn't actually made his mind up yet. I think they have a clear idea and maybe don't want to announce it until it's all finalised. We don't tend to like our prospective signings talking things up before deals are completed, and in the past Fergie has said he doesn't like to talk about things before they're finalised either. The no official confirmation thing is what is giving our fans itchy feet but I really think that if Thiago was going to stay at Barcelona he would have put them out of their misery and detached himself from the speculation a long time ago. How easy would it be to say "I'm staying" the fact that it's so drawn out makes me think that deals are being finalised in the background and that would only be happening if there was a move on the cards.

I think that it was just his Dad's way of side-stepping the question rather than that Thiago hasn't actually made his mind up yet. I think they have a clear idea and maybe don't want to announce it until it's all finalised. We don't tend to like our prospective signings talking things up before deals are completed, and in the past Fergie has said he doesn't like to talk about things before they're finalised either. The no official confirmation thing is what is giving our fans itchy feet but I really think that if Thiago was going to stay at Barcelona he would have put them out of their misery and detached himself from the speculation a long time ago. How easy would it be to say "I'm staying" the fact that it's so drawn out makes me think that deals are being finalised in the background and that would only be happening if there was a move on the cards.

Both sides are quite right to do their business in private, rather than through the media.

Thiago is making a tough decision. I'm sure his teammates' words have weighed on him because I think he would have made up his mind much sooner. It seems that if he does decide to leave, it won't necessarily be easy coming back. I sympathise with him. He would be leaving a place where he's comfortable and if he IS patient, he will become a vital cog in Barca's machine. He's been at the club since the age of 14 in excellent working conditions and he is well-liked. If he does choose to stay, I think he knows he would likely forego a chance to get into the Spain WC squad for 2014. After Spain's humiliation in the Confed Cup, there has been some recognition that it may be time for a few changes. In my opinion, Thiago coming to United would be his best chance of getting into the Spain squad along with giving him more license to express his game.

At the same time, does he view United as a place which is best for his development at this stage in his career? Thankfully, I think we'll find out soon. He has to report back to Barca's training by July 15th. Therefore, I don't see the saga stretching beyond this week.

I am all for muppetry but this thread should be put to bed until the announcement really. Nothing new is coming out at present and its all just rehashed news.

I am all for muppetry but this thread should be put to bed until the announcement really. Nothing new is coming out at present and its all just rehashed news.
Strange time to call for it. There's a fair few level headed posts I here recently.

I don't see the point in that really. It's doing no harm being open, and to there's a lot less crap getting posted at the moment. It'll probably get a bit silly again now the weekend is through and a bit of news comes out, but it's to be expected with us Muppets.

Not a chance. This thread is a great way to keep a lot of people with plenty of time on their hands to post absolute bollux in one place.

I think this is the week and I believe if we don't sign him this week, then it won't happen at all.

I think it could happen after that, but I don't think it will happen if it goes into August, as Barca can command any fee they want for him then, unless Thiago really pushes for a move. But if he really wants to move, he'll have done it whilst his release clause is low.

His clause is only active for 24 more days, so I don't think this one should drag on too much longer.

I tried to wum a bit of a tactical debate and it lasted a little but sadly conked out.

Ok the thread should not be completely closed, but perhaps people need to chill out a little. I mean Mazinho is hardly going to announce in a newspaper, that his son is signing for Man Utd before any of the clubs?.

People are reading that and then going suicidal that he will not join.

Its clear as day Thiago is leaving, we just have to hope it is to us. Key sera sera and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.