Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrick Fellaini
Valencia Thiago Kagawa​

We'd pretty much have to sell Rooney to accommodate him here. Otherwise he'd get as much games as he currently gets.

Unless we plan to play him much deeper like we did with Anderson, which didn't really work out.

No, he's not? Who have you been watching? For one thing, Barca don't play a system that has a "Kagawa role" . . .

Neither do we. The question was where will he fit in our system, not in Barca's.

Not seen much of him in recent seasons, but he really stood-out for me in the U21 tournament the summer we signed De Gea. A good passer, some nice tricks and he can score goals.

For under £20 million, this would a be a steal. Do it Moyes!

Exactly the same here. Really came to prominence for me during that tournament, he was excellent. It's a shame really that he's had some of the best midfielders in the game ahead of him but if it results in him coming to us then I'll be delighted. Hopefully Big Dave can put in a good word.

Carrick Fellaini
Valencia Thiago Kagawa​

We'd pretty much have to sell Rooney to accommodate him here. Otherwise he'd get as much games as he currently.

Unless we plan to play him much deeper like we did with Anderson, which didn't really work out.

Much deeper is where he actually plays.

There's no way to compare Xavi's role for Barca to Carrick's partner at United though. Thiago is a more attacking player than Xavi ever was and lacks Xavi's defensive awareness. His passing game is excellent and Barca could get away with it but somehow I doubt Moyes will change United's style to tiki-taka just to accommodate Thiago in central midfield. I'd say in almost any team in the world he'd play behind the striker or in a 433 as the most advanced central midfielder. I don't believe a midfield of Carrick, Thiago with Kagawa behind the striker could work for United.

I thought he played his best football in Guardiola's 343. You could say he was a central midfielder there but he had 3 other world class CMs playing with him and Messi dropping deep as well (and the team had more than 70% possession all the time).

You can theorise as much as you want, when you actually watch Thiago play he obviously has the tools for CM, and that's why Barca play him there. He's a superb tackler, has plenty of grit and energy, and has the intelligence to run a midfield, as he did for Spain's U21s.

Our best option next to Carrick at the moment, and the one which has worked best over the last couple of seasons, is Cleverley. Are you saying Thiago has less defensively and tactically than Tom? Because you can't actually have watched him much if you think that.

For what it's worth whoscored has all of his appearances being as a center mid and his average position being almost exactly in the middle of the center circle.

I remember seeing Thiago in CM for Spain U21s and he was brilliant, I think he'd make a great partner for Carrick.

For what it's worth whoscored has all of his appearances being as a center mid and his average position being almost exactly in the middle of the center circle.

That pleases me.

Graham Hunter, who knows his stuff about Barcelona, said he's an attacking midfielder on talkSPORT.

I don't want another player we've to attempt to mould into a deeper role like Anderson, which hasn't really worked.

If we sign Thiago, he will act as cover/competition for Kagawa in a sort of 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1 system with Felliani/Fletcher and Carrick in CM and Valencia + some other winger on the flanks.

Cheers for the info David, nice to get that sorted.

Just don't get why Barca would let him go. Fantastic prospect, one of their own...it doesn't make sense but the rumours seem to be building that he's leaving.

Just don't get why Barca would let him go. Fantastic prospect, one of their own...it doesn't make sense but the rumours seem to be building that he's leaving.

Need the cash and squad space.

Also, the fact that he hasn't played enough games.

I believe the rumours are suggesting that they don't have a choice - that he has a clause in his contract that gives him a minimum release fee if he's played under a certain number of minutes that season, which apparently he has.

More to the point, though, if Barcelona knew he had that clause in his contract (which is a stupid -- and unlikely -- thing to have there in the first place), then why did they let it get triggered? They had the league wrapped up months ago; they could easily have given him plenty of run-outs, even in the last ten minutes of games.

Which, to me, makes this sound like an extraordinary amount of bullshit.

Well if these rumours are to be believed, they can't say no to a bid of 18m and if the player has decided it's time to move away then it's out of their hands. Their only option would be to offer him a new contract, perhaps his agent is using this to get him a raise and some guarantees about first team football. It does seem odd that Barca would be put in this position though, everything about Thiago suggests he's born and bred to play for them.

He is a cm the fact that he is silky and skillful makes people brand him a am. But he is defensively aware, gets stuck in and plays the cm better than Fabregas in the current Barca system. He could play beside Carrick imo. He has the skill to play am but his best position is as a cm. He is the most complete young midfielder in the game for me.

I actually think it's far more likely that if a midfielder is moving from Barcelona this summer that it'll be Fabregas. He's largely flopped there, and why would they let a younger player who suits their system better (and doesn't look any less talented) in Thiago go instead?

Anyway, I really do not see this happening. For a number of reasons.

How many players have we bought, who are in the first team, from another one of Europe's elite teams? Hargreaves is the only one who comes to mind, and he was English.

---------Fellani--------Carrick---------
----------------Thaigo----------------
---Kagawa----------------Rooney-----
------------------RVP-----------------

Good enough to win the CL! I think that midfield would be a great blend. Rooney will sulk less when he is picking up every trophy in sight.

Another added bonus of buying Thiago is that I could finally take some pleasure in Spain winning every trophy :)

How many players have we bought, who are in the first team, from another one of Europe's elite teams? Hargreaves is the only one who comes to mind, and he was English.

I agree, he'll likely end up with a shiny new 6 year contract.

Dea Gea, Lindegaaard, Rafaela, Joanes, Evara, Buttaner, Vaidic, Smalaling, Evanas, Ferdinanad, Keanae, Cararick, Anaderson, Alacantara, Cleveraley, Kagawaa, Nania, Valeancia, Younga, Zaaha, Gigags, Faletcher, Paowell, Arooney, Van Pearsie, Hearnandez, Welabeck, Henariquez

There's no way to compare Xavi's role for Barca to Carrick's partner at United though. Thiago is a more attacking player than Xavi ever was and lacks Xavi's defensive awareness. His passing game is excellent and Barca could get away with it but somehow I doubt Moyes will change United's style to tiki-taka just to accommodate Thiago in central midfield. I'd say in almost any team in the world he'd play behind the striker or in a 433 as the most advanced central midfielder. I don't believe a midfield of Carrick, Thiago with Kagawa behind the striker could work for United.

I thought he played his best football in Guardiola's 343. You could say he was a central midfielder there but he had 3 other world class CMs playing with him and Messi dropping deep as well (and the team had more than 70% possession all the time).

Spot on. Alcantara is more of an attacking player by nature if you include him in our tactics. He won't play Carricks role neither he can sit besides him ala Jones as he's not a destroyer or he can protect the back 4. He's not ala Scholes or Xavi so the only real option is advanced position in front of Carrick.

He'd never played, or even lived in England before he moved to United, so i'm not sure what bearing that has on anything. It's not like Hargreaves was leaving Germany to "come home" to England. It had never been his home.

We don't really need a young attacking midfielder, we need a central midfielder.

We currently have Kagawa and Rooney to play this position, if he's leaving Barcelona to get more games he won't get them here! Unless he's happy to adapt his game like Anderson.

We don't really need a young attacking midfielder, we need a central midfielder.

We currently have Kagawa and Rooney to play this position, if he's leaving Barcelona to get more games he won't get them here! Unless he's happy to adapt his game like Anderson.

Are you just ignoring the majority of the last page or two of the thread? :lol: Most people here are saying he plays in central midfield more than as an attacking midfielder.

Absolutely no chance Barca will let him go, if he does, it will have a buy-back clause in it. Even so, we should break the bank for him if opportunity arise.

Are you just ignoring the majority of the last page or two of the thread? :lol: Most people here are saying he plays in central midfield more than as an attacking midfielder.

I'm going with what Graham Hunter has said about his position to be honest. He'd have watched him a lot more than most in this thread. He said he's an attacking midfielder who has, at times, played deeper. So bringing him in would mean developing him to play in a position that isn't his natural one.

You talking about Fabregas? Thiago isn't first team and if he is which of Sergio, Iniesta, Fabregas or Pedro does he play ahead of?

As for the last bit RVP played for Arsenal and was first team.

Spot on. Alcantara is more of an attacking player by nature if you include him in our tactics. He won't play Carricks role neither he can sit besides him ala Jones as he's not a destroyer or he can protect the back 4. He's not ala Scholes or Xavi so the only real option is advanced position in front of Carrick.

No, he's a box to box midfielder. A la Cleverley, our current partner to Carrick, but much better.

I don't think 'someone like Jones' should be our template when we try and buy a midfielder. Given that he's a centre-back.

He play's cm I don't know what Graham Hunter is on about. He is very skillful and could play am but his best position is in the cm.

Where's FCBarca? If this lad isn't made out for a midfield two, I don't see the point.

He is we all know we don't need a am we wouldn't want him so much if he was an am he is a cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.