Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I have yes . When Ray Milland had hair :)

Rear Window, The Birds, Marnie, to catch a thief, vertigo, Psycho.
Was Torn Curtain one? And Marnie?

Yes.
Watch these, Erica:

The Lady Vanishes
Notorious
The 39 Steps
Rebecca
Rope
Spellbound
Strangers on a Train

Moneyball (2011) - 9/10

Now before I start I should say I am a fan of baseball and the book therefore I can't view the film through the eyes of a filmgoer looking for a decent watch with no idea about the game. It's nice to see that in recent times the sports movies are turning away from the cheesey genre it was for years and just telling the story behind the game/event. The Fighter did it well, this does it better.

The Oakland A's don't win anything in this movie but the whole movies premise isn't about that, its about the story of how one man in a high pressure job went against the grain and changed the way a century year old game is played. If you know nothing about baseball it doesn't get so technical that it would go over your head in the same way if you do know baseball it doesn't hold your hand through it all. Pitt does a great job without ever going over the top with the character which he so easily could have, Jonah Hill is excellent without ever feeling the need to break out that stereotypical character he usually/used to play. It's a film about management, stress and breakthrough and its one of my favorite movies of the year.

Why on earth would you leave out Shadow of a Doubt?

Family Plot is probably even worth a watch.

Yes.

North by Northwest?

Yes.

I will be honest and say , I have not watched that many of Hitchcock's films , in fact maybe only Birds.
I am in the process of getting quite a few, any recommendations of which ones to watch first.

I hated Birds.

Watch...Dial M for Murder, Pyscho, Rear Window and Rope first.

are any of you Bogie fans?

I love Bogart...think I have seen his films the most 'repeats'

The other day they showed 'To have and have not' on tv.

After watching it, I put on my DVD...

just mad...the dialogue is to die for...especially between Bogie and Bacall.

same with Casablanca..except the dialogue between Bogie and Rains is just superb.

The oily Peter Lorrie :)

and when they play the French National Anthem...it always gets me...what a scene.

same with Casablanca..except the dialogue between Bogie and Rains is just superb.

and when they play the French National Anthem...it always gets me...what a scene.

A film I have never watched :eek:

He always played the same blinking character, not exactly versatile was he? And I liked Casablanca.

really...?

it all works for me...a perfect film..even the decor and the set.

Every frame could be a picture.

I get so nostalgic watching it.

my wife groans when she hears the opening music... :lol:

I like it a lot actually, it's pretty iconic to be fair. And Bergman was a babe.

I don't think it's elitist to be a film buff.

I think that people who really enjoy film get to a point where you have to go back in time, because on average how many great hollywood motion pictures are made each year? 3 at best?

So you go back in time and start looking at foreign films.. some of them shit, some of them good, a few great ones. You're a bit like a heroin addict looking for the next fix and when you find a new obscure one, you feel like a champ. But it's not about looking down on regular folk who haven't seen them.. it's just a harmless addiction.

Seen Lifeboat, RD?

I remembered this bit of gossip when I saw Tallulah Bankhead

On the night of the party, he (Chico Marx)introduced himself to her, and Tallulah, excited to meet one of the Marx Brothers, who were huge stars at the time, was very gracious, charming and demure. Chico spent the next few minutes chatting her up, remarking occasionally on the young starlet's remarkable beauty, with each comment more forward than the last, until finally he became bold enough to simply tell her, "Y'know, I'd really like to feck you." Miss Bankhead, laughing and batting her eyelashes, said, "And so you shall, you dear old-fashioned boy!"

:lol: Classic..

Another Earth.

This is an excellent film.About a girl who has a tragic accident on the night they discover another earth.
This is not a sci-fi movie in any real sense.
The other earth is just a good back ground story that helps tell the real story
The 2 lead actors are brilliant and play there parts very well , the ending is well set up for a sequel.
Some of the music is stunning
One of the best films I have seen this year.

8/10

Anyone seen The Kid with a Bike? I need a reason not to watch Melancholy again. Apparently the fact that I've seen it and didnt like it is not enough. But if I take her to a film that's not good instead, all hell will brake loose. The only real candidate is The Kid with a Bike (belgian film, won the Grand Prix in Cannes). The other candidate is Les petits mouchoirs but I didnt hear good things about that.

I really-really dont want to watch Melancholia again.

Another Earth.

This is an excellent film.About a girl who has a tragic accident on the night they discover another earth.
The 2 lead actors are brilliant and play there parts very well , the ending is well set up for a sequel.

8/10

And it looks great, too.

I like a lot of Hitchcock films but don't really love any of them, so I don't really have a particular favourite.

Same. I could probably stick on one of 20 different Hitchcock movies and really enjoy it but none of them are must-see, amazing films...still one of my favourite directors for the depth of work that's still highly watchable. Vertigo's pretty great though.

Another Earth.

8/10
I really wanted to see that when it was playing by me, but never did. Hope it comes out on DVD soon.