Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I had a nightmare last night because of this scene, fortunately my husband woke me up - he thought I was having a heart attack! :)

Doh! :D:

I absolutely love ghost stories, but that scene was like a nightmare made real.
*blubs*

A Streetcar Named Desire
Strangers on a Train
Blazing Saddles
Bonnie and Clyde
Das Boot
Il Conformista
Double Life of Veronique
Raging Bull
Raise the Red Lantern
The Battle of Algiers
The Deer Hunter
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Wild Bunch
Withnail and I

Right, I plan to watch these within the next few weeks. Any suggestions to watch first?

A Streetcar Named Desire
Strangers on a Train
Blazing Saddles
Bonnie and Clyde
Das Boot
Il Conformista
Double Life of Veronique
Raging Bull
Raise the Red Lantern
The Battle of Algiers
The Deer Hunter
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Wild Bunch
Withnail and I

Right, I plan to watch these within the next few weeks. Any suggestions to watch first?

Das Boot and Raise the Red Lantern.

Very good set of films

Das Boot
The Deer Hunter
Raging Bull
Strangers on a Train

I would watch these first

Just watched Margin Call. A clever, well-made film about the start of the 2008 financial crisis with a great cast. Not much happens though, its a realistic peak into company culture. its a very strange film in that I think the author deliberately written the script in a way that there's no emotional connection with the characters or the story. Its an intresting film, but dont know if its good - if it makes any sense.

What is astonishing however, that it was made from about 3.5 million dollars and among others it has Jeremy Irons, Kevin Spacey, Stanley Tucci, Paul Bettany, Demi Moore in its cast. The cinematography is superb, too-

Just watched Margin Call. A clever, well-made film about the start of the 2008 financial crisis with a great cast. Not much happens though, its a realistic peak into company culture. its a very strange film in that I think the author deliberately written the script in a way that there's no emotional connection with the characters or the story. Its an intresting film, but dont know if its good - if it makes any sense.

What is astonishing however, that it was made from about 3.5 million dollars and among others it has Jeremy Irons, Kevin Spacey, Stanley Tucci, Paul Bettany, Demi Moore in its cast. The cinematography is superb, too-

This echo's my thoughts about it too, great cast and an interesting movie but one I can't imagine people rushing out to see or buy.

I'm resisting the temptation to watch it now. *shivers* There's one scene in particular in it; well, I was so frightened, I just stammered out 'M-My God...' and backed away from the screen. Gulp.

Yeah, I feel the same way when I saw that sixth goal went in.

Oh, you're talking about Woman in Black? Nevermind then..

Midnight in Paris: A Woody Allen comedy with a gimmicky twist. The 20s and the 1890s characters are cutout ones, and I do not think this movie needed Picasso, Hemingway, and the others. Its very Young Indiana Jones-like (which I liked a lot as a kid). The dialog is -as usual with Allen - sharp, apart from the ones with the artists from the past. But I've loved the reference to the Exterminating Angel.

I didnt like the acting, almost all the past scenes were over the top and Adrian Brody as Dali was just godawful. Martin Sheen as the idiot pseudo-intellectual with a lot of words was fun.

The Exorcist (1973)

I watched that movie a couple of times before and it stayed with me for years. I know people like to mention the girl's head spinning 360 degres whenever the title name comes up but for me the best thing about this film is the atmosphere. Nowadays it's all about special effects and the amount of violence per reel but the truly great horror masterpieces like this one scare you on a deep psychologoical level by making you face the ultimate fears every person struggles with in their lifetime.

Even by modern standards it's a bit shocking to witness some of the scenes involving the possessed girl and two priests but I can imagine the effect it had on people forty years ago when it was released.

The Exorcist (1973)

I watched that movie a couple of times before and it stayed with me for years. I know people like to mention the girl's head spinning 360 degres whenever the title name comes up but for me the best thing about this film is the atmosphere. Nowadays it's all about special effects and the amount of violence per reel but the truly great horror masterpieces like this one scare you on a deep psychologoical level by making you face the ultimate fears every person struggles with in their lifetime.

Even by modern standards it's a bit shocking to witness some of the scenes involving the possessed girl and two priests but I can imagine the effect it had on people forty years ago when it was released.

I watched this not that long ago , and I think it still stands the test of time.
The music for me makes it more scary.
I agree some of the scenes involving the possessed girl are well acted and some are not really scary but disturbing.
I think a must watch for any film fan.

The Exorcist (1973)

To some extent I agree with what you're saying, The Exorcist, The Shining, Halloween, three of the best horrors and yet very little guts and gore.
But I still enjoy the latest stuff (which is just a competition of how much blood you can get into one take) like your Saw's, Final Destination's and some of the remakes of the old films from Craven, Romero etc.

Which brings me to reviewing Halloween II - 3.5/10

I don't mind Rob Zombie, Devil's Rejects was good and the first Halloween was alright but this was just pure dogshit.
Firstly, Sheri Moon Zombie, who despite dying in the last one still of course finds her way onto the screen, thankfully she says very little in this one but her sequences with a white horse are excruciatingly bad. Zombie tries to be deep but fails miserably.

I love tits and tattoos but Zombie is obsessed, I don't know why he felt the need to include a naked chick with tattoos every 5 minutes.
I've had dreams with better plots than this movie, it's just pure garbage and the only thing that gives it a 3.5 is the gore which is wonderfully excessive (if you like that sort of shit.)

I watched Super 8 which was ok I guess. I mean JJ Abrams should never ever write and the ending here proves it, as well the ending made no real sense with the rest of the film. Never once in the first 80-90 minutes did the monster and main kid have a chance to get some kind of connection that they randomly decided to have between them in the end, and then also, again with the main kid, never once did the father realize he needed to connect with his son instead of forcing what he wanted him to do on him.....yet in the last 5 minutes both of these are made out to have happened throughout the film. I think he wrote a sweet sentimental ending that he liked and then just quickly wrote up the rest of the film in like a day or something.

When the kids are being kids making films, it's pretty good though, but JJ just had no idea how to connect the Alien/army part of the story with that, oh and then theres the endless lens flares....like seriously annoying, more so than in Star Trek, since thats a fast moving action film.

:lol: I watched that with a mate of mine who's a camera man and he wouldn't shut up about the lens flares. He started flare spotting "there's one....there's another one...Look! Another fecking one, there isn't even anything to flare off there" which, although hugely annoying, did become quite funny.

The Exorcist (1973)

i saw this in 1975, it caused a huge stir in those days, the book too

First Blood 2.
Just seen this on ITV4 and loved it , I think Sly at his best , killing and blowing everything up for fun.
Loved the way Rambo took on the Russian and the Vietnamese army with a seeming endless supply of bullets and rocket arrows.
6.5/10

13 Assassins

Yeah, this film was pretty fecking good. I mean it's heavily influenced by Seven Samurai, which isn't bad thing considering how great that is... but cause it's Miike it's got a lot of shock factor and gore.

Anyways, I reckon everyone should watch this, if you're in any doubt here is the plot summed up in one sentence comprised of muchos badassery.

A group of assassins come together for a suicide mission to kill an evil lord.

Yeah.

The Dead.
A typical zombie film , they die they come back to life and they eat the living and get shot in the head.

There was a flimsy story in there about the soldier getting to a safe place to get his son , but really it was just about them being in a car travelling and killing zombies and the ending was just stupid , I want more , I wanted to know why , how many and how far it had spread , but you get NOTHING

Zombie films are not my favourite type of film and to be honest this has done nothing to change my mind.

4/10

I didn't find Changeling remotely scary. It was quite enjoyable though - George C Scott is great as usual.

Onto 'The Woman in Black', this better be as good as you guys are making it out to be. :eek:

Great piece in the Guardian about Raging Bull:

body_transformations_5.jpg

The film actually suppresses many of the nastier aspects of Jake La Motta's life and essentially takes him at his own lenient estimation of himself, emphasising what was allegedly his initial, pig-headed resistance to gangsters' parasitic involvement in his career. The effect is to combine stunning scenes of brutality and self-destruction with a lethal, even outrageous sentimentalism and self-pity. It's all captured in dreamlike, pin-sharp monochrome cinematography, stark images reproduced like a Weegee crime scene. The result is operatic and mad and compelling.

My favourite film: Raging Bull | guardian.co.uk

Battle Los Angeles - 5/10

Michael Bay's wet dream, Amsterdam brothels have seen less explosions than this movie. It's surreal and there's just so many bloody things going on at the same time.
A sci-fi war film seen from the point of view of the army, US Marines to be specific.
It's a very PRO army film and presents the army as an honorable bunch of brave men (and one woman) uniting all races.
There's a Nigerian, a Mexican, a Japanese, a Musician (Neyo) and a Virgin, cos you know that's how diverse the US Army is.
Anyway it starts off slowly but does hook you in, it's cheesy but in parts it is quite entertaining.

Arena- One of the worst films I've seen in a very long time. If there is any justice in the world, the guy who plays the lead will never make a film ever again. Rubbish. 2/10

We Need to Talk About Kevin 2/10

I didn't bother to read Shriver's novel on the grounds that having heard her talk on TV I'd formed the opinion that she was pretty stupid. This film (despite the efforts of Tilda Swanton) doesn't disappoint - how the feck can you make a movie about high school slaughter in the US and meander through guilt/parenting issues and not mention the smoking GUN.

Outpost.
About an old WW2 bunker that is holding some grisly secrets.
Story was a bit slow in parts and some of the acting was just rubbish , but I like the story.
Would of liked a bit more depth to the film , but all in all worth watching.
6/10

Frailty

A very good film , about a crazy farther who thinks he has been told by god to kill demons and save the world from coming to an end , who then gets his 2 boys involved.
I thought this was one of the best films I have seen for a while , good story and some really good acting.
Bill Paxman was excellent has the deranged father.

8/10

Super 8 - 7/10

A well made sci-fic thriller which is mostly suitable for younger audience.Better than I thought it was.
But it's too far from being great.Worth watching.