Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Its a Columbo clip where he says "Just one more thing..." To which the fat guy from Cheers answers "No, there is no just one more thing".

Heh. Columbo's awesome.

I saw an episode recently that had a young Leslie Nielsen. A serious Leslie Nielsen. Didnt seem right.

Le Maitre du Temps looks fantastic.

Shawshank gets a bad rap from some people for being the male version of Cinderella. A perfectly understandable response: it's a fairy tale at heart. American escapism at its finest.

Le Maitre du Temps looks fantastic.

Shawshank gets a bad rap from some people for being the male version of Cinderella. A perfectly understandable response: it's a fairy tale at heart. American escapism at its finest.

So is Highlander, Mr Wing.

Citizen Kane is the perfect example of a hugely important, great movie that not many people love.

It's use of camera, editing was revolutionary (the opening shot is still mesmerizing), its a much more complex story than most of the american movies were up to that point and had great acting. It was one of the first america auteur-movies too. The fact that this was Welles first movie is pretty astonishing too. And the fact that Welles did it against Hearst makes it one of the ballsiest films not made in the Soviet block.

It's hard to like the movie though, because its distant like Kane himself. (And it not aged well)
Yeah that about sums it up for me, you can't just appreciate it as a movie - it's to be admired rather than enjoyed. 'The Third Man' on the other hand is only a few years later and still can be watched on its own terms.

The biographer David Thomson claims that Welles deliberately made the film unlovable; as is Kane himself. There's not a trace of faith - in the future; in love; in friendship; in dreams and ambitions - in Citizen Kane. We never even meet the living Kane...it's a film swathed in death.

I haven't remotely, I didn't just do the italics because it looks fancy I did it to indicate the emphasis on that word. I meant that it was clearly aimed to bring in average movie-goers first, and admired later. Ridley Scott's very much an average movie-goer maker, he just makes them well enough to have a lasting effect. With Citizen Kane you get the idea it was aimed at people who would appreciate it for its depth first and foremost, while having the entertainment value to make people still enjoy watching it again - i.e. the priorities were reversed. If the movie turned away average movie-goers Welles wouldn't care because it was his movie, saying what he wanted to say and made how he wanted it made.

Orson Welles the actor makes most things worth watching regardless of what else goes on when he's on the screen, from what I've seen...and that's very much the case in Citizen Kane. And it does look great even for those who don't understand the technical expertise to make it so (e.g. me). The narrative style maybe isn't as fresh now since we've seen non-linear narratives taken much further but it's still well made in that sense, 70 years on. There's plenty to like about it, but like everything taste's subjective. There will be people understand it fully from a technical perspective but still don't like it, I'm sure. To say it's a nothing film seems a bit mental to me, though...you've obviously built up a long list of watched movies, what'd be your top 10?

And yeah, I think it's significantly better. I don't think that's a particularly rare opinion either. Unless you take IMDB as a good gauge of popular opinion....

That's why I said as a stand alone movie, for purely entertainment reasons it is kind of a nothing film.
It's not that interesting, you're never on the edge of your seat, it isn't that entertaining.
In that sense its nothing but with all things considered of course it's a lot more.

There's a lot of films I haven't watched, I apologise if I come across as a "know it all". I just get riled up over films I think are over rated, especially CK.

Ingmar Bergman never liked Citizen Kane......ironically calling it a bore.....I just always thought he had some kind of hatred for Orson Welles though to be fair, since he attacked him in the same interview.

But still, Orson Welles is a genius, hugely innovative and extremely smart(obviously in comparison to his era), they really need to find that original Magnificent Ambersons, considering the version we get now is a classic, it's probably actually better than Citizen Kane.

Love Letter (1995; Eng. "Letters of Love") - 9/10

Japanese sort-of-split-timeline romance. A young woman loses her fiance in a skiing accident. Two years later, still unable to move on, she comes across his childhood address in his high school yearbook, and learns from her mother-in-law that their old home was torn down during construction of a highway. In her sadness she sends him a letter anyway. She receives a reply signed in his name.

The Hangover 2 - It was okay.....the hate is justified as it is lazy as feck. But still as a film I watched on the way to work on a train half dead, it worked. But still, it's kind of awful and everything is predictable.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Again, this was on the way back from same train, and I enjoyed it, it was solid enough as a film, godawful lead acting, deus ex machinas and fantasy cliches aside.

I'd like to recommend this (for the millionth time). It's the scariest thing ever! :D So scary that, at a certain point, my hair turned white, blue, orange and finally caught fire! :D

When a friendless old widow dies in the seaside town of Crythin, a young solicitor is sent by his firm to settle the estate. The lawyer finds the townspeople reluctant to talk about or go near the woman's dreary home and no one will explain or even acknowledge the menacing woman in black he keeps seeing. Ignoring the townspeople's cryptic warnings, he goes to the house where he discovers its horrible history and becomes ensnared in its even more horrible legacy.

Full tv movie:

Nope, it's from 1989. It is very atmospheric though, despite being relatively old. Dvd copies of it sometimes go for as much as £100+(!) - that's how highly-rated it is by viewers. :)

Nope, it's from 1989. It is very atmospheric though, despite being relatively old. Dvd copies of it sometimes go for as much as £100+(!) - that's how highly-rated it is by viewers. :)

My husband is always banging on about this, he says it's brilliant. I will watch it tomorrow, can't do another tonight as I will never sleep! I'm having to watch an episode from ER as it is, so I don't have to think about The Changeling

I'm resisting the temptation to watch it now. *shivers* There's one scene in particular in it; well, I was so frightened, I just stammered out 'M-My God...' and backed away from the screen. Gulp.

We saw the trailer for The Woman in Black (new one) and wondered who the familiar looking lead actor was.

Duh.

Don't know what it is about him, I just don't like him. Maybe this new film may change my mind

I know what you mean. There's something irritating about the man. But I loved him as a child.

I'm resisting the temptation to watch it now. *shivers* There's one scene in particular in it; well, I was so frightened, I just stammered out 'M-My God...' and backed away from the screen. Gulp.

Is this that woman in black? I'm gonna watch it if thats the case. I'm also gonna watch BBC's ghost watch now as well. Freaked me out, me grandad had died that day.

Superbly chilling, Steve. Just watched it and you were right. Now watching Idiot Abroad to take the edge off :)

Glad you liked it, Erica. :)

Is this that woman in black? I'm gonna watch it if thats the case. I'm also gonna watch BBC's ghost watch now as well.

I knew that Ghost Watch was a hoax from the very start, because of the family's acting, but the programme still scared me. :D

"The Ides of March" 6/10 I really wanted to like this movie and had decent hopes as the reviews were fairly good and had a heavy weight cast. I was really disappointed in the end. Ryan Goslings character was supposed to be an extremely sophisticated, media savvy press secretary. His character made so many elementary blunders (that was not supposed to be part of the movie) that it was hard to take him or the movie seriously..... all credibility goes down the toilet at that point, this was supposed to be a serious drama, the writers should have done a better job researching the people in that world

Captain America - why did I waste a couple of hours on this tripe? I wasn't expecting Brazil....but...come on. Can't wait for The Avengers.

I knew that Ghost Watch was a hoax from the very start, because of the family's acting, but the programme still scared me. :D

So did I from the fact i saw the mother in the Bill a few weeks earlier but what with me granda dying that day it just freaked me out.

What movie are you talking about exactly?